Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread. Thread: Honcast not going to DreamHack

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 168
  1. #21
    who is in charge of this, and how did that person come to such a conclusion....its beyond me.

    lets break it down, you guys have been to dreamhack more than 6 times (give or take). so you know what to expect in sweden. secondly, other games/booths have had no production problems (relatively speaking) in the past, and they plan on going there again, which says the infrastructure in Sweden is good, and that there is a right way to hold a successful production.

    so to avoid going there entirely is not really fixing the solution. it is merely hiding it under the rug. why dont you guys reach out to other companies and get their help in setting up a successful live lan event. hell, if you dont even want to go to other companies due to some misplaced sense of pride, ask garena how they setup, because GLS thailand was flawless from their end.

    not going is a joke, and is like pretty much saying S2/Honcast cannot handle a live lan event. instead of putting in work, you are sticking to what you know, and what works and avoiding progress.
    Last edited by DalekLem; 05-24-2013 at 01:58 PM.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by swindlemelonzz View Post
    the real question is whether there will be the traditional open-bar post event party if honcast doesn't go.
    Open Bar?
    This makes me wanna become a pro

  3. #23
    suddenly I lost a good bit of hype for DH...

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by DalekLem View Post
    who is in charge of this, and how did that person come to such a conclusion....its beyond me.

    lets break it down, you guys have been to dreamhack more than 6 times (give or take). so you know what to expect in sweden. secondly, other games/booths have had no production problems (relatively speaking) in the past, and they plan on going there again, which says the infrastructure in Sweden is good, and that there is a right way to hold a successful production.

    so to avoid going there entirely is not really fixing the solution. it is merely hiding it under the rug. why dont you guys reach out to other companies and get their help in setting up a successful live lan event. hell, if you dont even want to go to other companies due to some misplaced sense of pride, ask garena how they setup, because GLS thailand was flawless from their end.

    not going is a joke, and is like pretty much saying S2/Honcast cannot handle a live lan event. instead of putting in work, you are sticking to what you know, and what works and avoiding progress.
    Well said

  5. #25
    So there wont be any casters in the DreamArena?

  6. #26
    Offline
    Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,267
    WhAT? I don't like this decision :<

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodah View Post
    So there wont be any casters in the DreamArena?
    this ^

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by DalekLem View Post
    who is in charge of this, and how did that person come to such a conclusion....its beyond me.

    lets break it down, you guys have been to dreamhack more than 6 times (give or take). so you know what to expect in sweden. secondly, other games/booths have had no production problems (relatively speaking) in the past, and they plan on going there again, which says the infrastructure in Sweden is good, and that there is a right way to hold a successful production.

    so to avoid going there entirely is not really fixing the solution. it is merely hiding it under the rug. why dont you guys reach out to other companies and get their help in setting up a successful live lan event. hell, if you dont even want to go to other companies due to some misplaced sense of pride, ask garena how they setup, because GLS thailand was flawless from their end.

    not going is a joke, and is like pretty much saying S2/Honcast cannot handle a live lan event. instead of putting in work, you are sticking to what you know, and what works and avoiding progress.
    Excellent post

  9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #29
    Offline
    S2 Staff Member S2 Games Staff
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,732
    I really feel like this is being completely taken out of context on what I actually announced on the podcast, so I really want to reiterate it here to hopefully give a better understanding of to why and what this means.

    First off, yes it is correct that Honcast meaning myself, Emperor and our producer Panman will NOT be at the event in person. There are several factors that came into play as to why we decided on this including we really want to keep our positive momentum we have going concerning our production and what we can accomplish on the stream for the viewers, with not having to worry / deal with the live event aspect.

    Next, and this is very important to keep in mind, there IS still a booth presence at dreamhack for HoN where the players will be playing AND viewers will have access to sit and watch the matches being streamed on a large projection monitor, as it has been at previous DreamHack Events. On top of that there will still be plenty of S2 staff at the event as well representing our game and there to interact with all of the people who planned to go to DreamHack in person. We still have a setup planned to also not only have interviews from the event live on stream, but also even player cameras as well. We will still do everything we can and I am confident we will be able to portray the live event aspect of DreamHack Summer 2013 to you the viewer as in the end that is our ultimate goal of course.

    I personally have said and have no problem restating that I LOVE going to Sweden, but it is a sacrifice I was and am willing to make of not going to really make sure that the product we put out is as good as we can with again not having to worry about certain difficulties of being there on site. I also want to clarify that Emperors reaction to me stating this on the podcast was more of a joking reaction, as I can assure you he both knew and was part in helping understand this decision that we had made a little bit ago.

    I really hope that the community can understand that this was a decision made for the better of everyone viewing and I am confident that it will show come the DreamHack coverage mid June.

    S2 Games: Dedicated employees serving dedicated gamers. Continuous development. Never-ending improvement.
    -----------------------------



  10. #30
    Breaky will you give me doubble hugs next year instead?
    that music guy from Sweden

  11.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #31
    Offline
    S2 Staff Member S2 Games Staff
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,732
    Quote Originally Posted by MoMoBling View Post
    Breaky will you give me doubble hugs next year instead?
    I will look to do so for the Winter Event

    S2 Games: Dedicated employees serving dedicated gamers. Continuous development. Never-ending improvement.
    -----------------------------



  12. #32
    I was really upset when I heard this in the podcast and I was going to rage for the first time in the forums. But yea there is a logic, which Breaky explained it both in the podcast and here, that I do understand. The fact that there is still going to be a booth, interviews, and player cameras during the games, and in general S2 presence at DHS is comforting to know. I still feel a little awkward about the Dream Arena situation, but oh well.

    tl;dr Brealy has the power to chill us and therefore he is the one and only true father of hon.

  13. #33
    So is this a permanent solution? Are you guys not ever going to try getting it right on LANs again?

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakyCPK View Post
    I really feel like this is being completely taken out of context on what I actually announced on the podcast, so I really want to reiterate it here to hopefully give a better understanding of to why and what this means.

    First off, yes it is correct that Honcast meaning myself, Emperor and our producer Panman will NOT be at the event in person. There are several factors that came into play as to why we decided on this including we really want to keep our positive momentum we have going concerning our production and what we can accomplish on the stream for the viewers, with not having to worry / deal with the live event aspect.

    Next, and this is very important to keep in mind, there IS still a booth presence at dreamhack for HoN where the players will be playing AND viewers will have access to sit and watch the matches being streamed on a large projection monitor, as it has been at previous DreamHack Events. On top of that there will still be plenty of S2 staff at the event as well representing our game and there to interact with all of the people who planned to go to DreamHack in person. We still have a setup planned to also not only have interviews from the event live on stream, but also even player cameras as well. We will still do everything we can and I am confident we will be able to portray the live event aspect of DreamHack Summer 2013 to you the viewer as in the end that is our ultimate goal of course.

    I personally have said and have no problem restating that I LOVE going to Sweden, but it is a sacrifice I was and am willing to make of not going to really make sure that the product we put out is as good as we can with again not having to worry about certain difficulties of being there on site. I also want to clarify that Emperors reaction to me stating this on the podcast was more of a joking reaction, as I can assure you he both knew and was part in helping understand this decision that we had made a little bit ago.

    I really hope that the community can understand that this was a decision made for the better of everyone viewing and I am confident that it will show come the DreamHack coverage mid June.
    I guess the reasoning for doing it is clear and fair enough, but as mentioned earlier it seems like a 'dig your head in the sand' approach. Is not going to LAN events going to become standard? Because going there and learning from past mistakes is the best way of improving LAN coverage. Lets be honest, the previous Dreamhacks before weren't THAT bad, it was just recently with the HoNTour grand finals and the GSL event that poor production really stood out.

  15. #35
    Offline
    Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinster View Post
    I guess the reasoning for doing it is clear and fair enough, but as mentioned earlier it seems like a 'dig your head in the sand' approach. Is not going to LAN events going to become standard? Because going there and learning from past mistakes is the best way of improving LAN coverage. Lets be honest, the previous Dreamhacks before weren't THAT bad, it was just recently with the HoNTour grand finals and the GSL event that poor production really stood out.
    This, pretty much. I respect your decision yet it feels like you're running away from the problem

  16. #36
    rofl, going down the drain.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinster View Post
    I guess the reasoning for doing it is clear and fair enough, but as mentioned earlier it seems like a 'dig your head in the sand' approach. Is not going to LAN events going to become standard? Because going there and learning from past mistakes is the best way of improving LAN coverage. Lets be honest, the previous Dreamhacks before weren't THAT bad, it was just recently with the HoNTour grand finals and the GSL event that poor production really stood out.
    pretty much this.

    breaky, we understand that you are skipping dh to avoid production problems. but to fix the problem, you really need to work on it, and go there and put up a good show. not going and staying in honcast studio doesnot achieve the solution that you guys should be seeking. its a mere hotfix.

    also, does this mean when dhw comes around, you will still host it from the studio, what about hontour 2 grand finals. what about gsl next year. at some point you will have to take a leap of faith and try your level best to make it work. and if you plan on doing that in future, why not do it now, so that the next events can only get better.

  18. #38
    Let's hope this decision is the right one.

  19.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #39
    Offline
    S2 Staff Member S2 Games Staff
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,732
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinster View Post
    I guess the reasoning for doing it is clear and fair enough, but as mentioned earlier it seems like a 'dig your head in the sand' approach. Is not going to LAN events going to become standard? Because going there and learning from past mistakes is the best way of improving LAN coverage. Lets be honest, the previous Dreamhacks before weren't THAT bad, it was just recently with the HoNTour grand finals and the GSL event that poor production really stood out.
    This decision was not made because we aren't confident we couldn't pull of a live production at DreamHack... as you mentioned we have done it in the past and although issues have come up it ultimately has gotten done. I know that we could pull of a live event just fine, but I also know that especially with things right now, that our product can and will be better than if we were actually there in person.

    Now does this mean that future live events, even something like DHW we will just never go to and always cast from the studio? 100% absolutely not, we will most certainly attend live events moving forward.

    It is no secret that the HoN Tour Grand Finals, although I still feel we had production that went overlooked because of failures we had at the event, was something we were ultimately dissapointed with. Many changes both happened immediately after and have continued to happen since this event, and as I have stated before Honcast especially is going through a "reboot" state of not really starting from scratch by any means... but getting settled in to our new studio as well as settling in our newer staff.

    I really do feel that this has showed over the last couple of weeks from the Runic Shift Podcast we did to the couple of events we covered and there is still A LOT more to come. Again, I understand immediate reaction to the statement I made on the podcast today but I really am doing my best to make sure you the community can understand why this decision was made and how we feel this is and will be for the better of our production!

    S2 Games: Dedicated employees serving dedicated gamers. Continuous development. Never-ending improvement.
    -----------------------------



  20. #40
    Rather have delays and some technical issues that comes with LAN + casters there, than them not going
    Its the charm of LAN!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •