Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread. Thread: Ask S2: Lore questions

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Ask S2: Lore questions

Over the past year, S2 has greatly expanded their efforts in creating and nourishing their stories. However, some of the stories quickly outgrow the pace of its organic lore development, leading to confusion and contradictions. This thread hopes to tie up some of these loose ends as well as providing official answers on long standing questions. Without further adieu, the questions:

General

How many years has it been since the Collapse?

How many years did the Savage Wars take?

How long has passed since the beginning of the Second Corruption?

What is “magic”?

Since it was implied in the Archaic Gods storyline that gods are indeed real, does Sol exist on Newerth at this very moment?

Who is Lunarius? (from Moon Princes’s lines)

Lore wise, who is the strongest hero of Newerth?

Faction

Who is the leader of the Hellbourne?

What is the true origin of the Hellbourne?

What are the largest Legion cities (include population please)?

Firebrand is a divine relic of Sol, Lightbrand is the relic of Lunari, Icebrand is supposedly a relic of a third god called Borealis; could you give us some background info on Borealis?

Are there any human factions aside from the Legion? (Kind of like those Persian looking guys in LOTR that were independent from the tribes of Men)

Character

Which avatars is canon; moreso, are you planning on redoing the hero’s page to give every avatar a short story?

How old is Jereziah?

Does Jereziah really have a daughter? (Geojuice’s lines)

When Monkey King rampaged through heaven, was it during the peak of the archaic’s powers or when they were weak.

Why did MK started kicking god ass?

Does Moon Queen’s tribe live on the moon, or do they just worship it?

Do any of Prophet’s (and his avatars) cryptic lines hint at any lore developments in the future?

How does Zenifir not have an accent, even though its implied that he is THE Swiftblade.

I suggest moving these questions to the Asks:S2 Sub-forum(https://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/f...47-Ask-S2Games) for a direct answer from them.

Curse Gaming +
    HoNpedia Head Wiki Administrator: http://hon.gamepedia.com
    HoNpedia eSports Coverage: http://honpedia.com

I had a pm conversation with Woodshed recently, among other things I suggested making a lore blog, where we could ask such lore questions. He hasn't answered to this yet, but maybe he has enough time and considers doing so.

Some questions of my own:

How is the Church of Sol organized? Right now it looks to be very similar to the Catholic Church. Do they have a pope or chief patriarch too?

What is the Sacred Order, Pyromancer's lore talks about?

When did magic appear on Newerth? Before or after the fall of the great civilization?

Do different breeds of animals have different functions in the Beast Horde society? Apes so far seem to be always shamans for example.

Why is Amun-Ra evil, when the mythological Ra was usually depicted as just and opposed to the forces of darkness (like the demon god Apophis)? Did he feel abandoned after he wasn't worshipped anymore, did he feel replaced by the new sun god Sol or is it the corruption of the Hellbourne that made him evil, yet weaker (explaining Risen Ra)?

Similar to Skinswords question, are there more human kingdoms, since Midas is called a king too? Is Jeraziah a high-king or is he just the king in charge of the forces while they are at war?

Are there plans to reveal a full map of Newerth in the future?

Was Flux in a way the prototype for Lodestone? His creations seems similar, only that it involved a demon getting imprissoned in an iron suit instead of a human legionnaire (also was this legionnaire's name Stark? )
    Last edited by BuddhaKekz; 05-24-2013 at 09:11 PM.
    I must admit, when I saw the message subject I thought, "Uh-oh, what did I screw up?" - [S2]Woodshed (in response to my latest p.m.)

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #4
    S2 Staff Member S2 Games Staff
    Hey guys, thanks for putting these together. I'll work with Loremeister to answer what we can!

S2 Games: Dedicated employees serving dedicated gamers. Continuous development. Never-ending improvement.
    -----------------------------

Jeremy Brown | Content Manager & Lead Writer - Heroes of Newerth

GG

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #5
    General

Note: Some answers may change. We're discovering some of the lore along with the characters.

How many years has it been since the Collapse?
    The Collapse occurred around 3060 AD.

How many years did the Savage Wars take?
    They took place between 3080 AD and 3500 AD, so around 420 years.

How long has passed since the beginning of the Second Corruption?
    Close to a decade, though the constant manipulation of time by both sides has somewhat skewed the perception of time.

What is “magic”?
    Loremeister says: It defies the conventional laws of physics and allows for creatures to manipulate a small pocket of reality in a way that should be impossible. In the Sang-La Mountains they call this the harnessing of our ki; in the ancient forests it is the gifts of the Earth Mother; in the temples of the men of Newerth it is the harnessed will of Sol; and for the heretics it is the tapping into dark power. Some, like the archaeologists, engineers, and whack-job scientists have re-harnessed ancient technologies that seem to defy reality as well.

It remains to be seen if these branches of magic all lead back to the same source.

Since it was implied in the Archaic Gods storyline that gods are indeed real, does Sol exist on Newerth at this very moment?
    Not as a physical being, at this moment.

Who is Lunarius? (from Moon Princes’s lines)
    Loremeister says: The masculine version of Lunari. Lunari is seen as the nurturer of the gods, tending to the spirits of those who are in need and bringing them hope and the fruits that come along with it.

Lore wise, who is the strongest hero of Newerth?
    Loremeister says: The gods all have the potential to be strongest, but their strength is based on faith. As of now the strongest hero is Maliken--he has a demon lord under his control and leads all of the Hellbourne forces. For all their Power, Jeraziah and Ophelia still lead two essentially different armies that are not that well integrated.

Without the damage done to the world by the Hellbourne and now the Rift, it would be Empath.

Faction

Who is the leader of the Hellbourne?
    Maliken, as of now...

What is the true origin of the Hellbourne?
    The Legion is still trying to answer this as well.

What are the largest Legion cities (include population please)?
    Arasunia, The Capital, and the City of Iron are the largest right now. All the census takers were killed by imps.

Firebrand is a divine relic of Sol, Lightbrand is the relic of Lunari, Icebrand is supposedly a relic of a third god called Borealis; could you give us some background info on Borealis?
    Loremeister says: Borealis is a god worshiped by those living in the Frostfields and beyond. The northern winds and nighttime colors are believed to be sent by him.

He is also seen as the god of renewal. After winter's snow the world is reborn again in greenery and splendor. There are some that claim he is the Son of Sol and dwelt among men for some time before dying and ascending to the heavens.

Are there any human factions aside from the Legion? (Kind of like those Persian looking guys in LOTR that were independent from the tribes of Men)
    Yes.

Character

Which avatars is canon; moreso, are you planning on redoing the hero’s page to give every avatar a short story?
    We are working on getting all the alt avatar lore on the website, and you'll be able to tell from that which avatars are canon.

How old is Jeraziah?
    He is in his early 40s, but again, the time and aging process has been skewed by the manipulation of time on Newerth. Also, the natural lifespan of those in Newerth is longer than ours (natural meaning you don't die from being eaten, beheaded, etc.).

Does Jeraziah really have a daughter? (Geojuice’s lines)
    No, this is a reference to the film Beetlejuice.

When Monkey King rampaged through heaven, was it during the peak of the archaic’s powers or when they were weak.
    He rampaged to the heavens before many gods worked together to imprison him. Without the golden seal that links him to Ophelia, he would be much more powerful than many of the gods on Newerth.

Why did MK started kicking god ass?
    When he was invited to join the gods, Monkey King thought he was being accepted as one of them. Instead, he was given menial tasks and treated as an inferior. Monkey King decided to show them all just how powerful he was...

Does Moon Queen’s tribe live on the moon, or do they just worship it?
    They just worship it. They live near the peaks of the Sang-La Mountains in the Hivelands.

Do any of Prophet’s (and his avatars) cryptic lines hint at any lore developments in the future?
    Yes...

How does Zenifir not have an accent, even though its implied that he is THE Swiftblade.
    His accent is another method of concealing his identity. With his face exposed, he has no reason to disguise his voice.

We love that you're asking these questions! If there's anything else you'd like to ask, please do!
    Last edited by Woodshed; 05-24-2013 at 03:38 PM.

S2 Games: Dedicated employees serving dedicated gamers. Continuous development. Never-ending improvement.

GG

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    I was going to post a bunch of requests in addition to my question, but the only one I really have is to please not have low demographic numbers. The reason why Newerth should be well-populated is for two reason: 1) it's more epic that way and 2) it doesn't make sense that destructive wars can be sustained for so long unless the world has the population to sustain them - if it doesn't, it leads to immersion breaking which ruins the setting. For an example of a setting that fulfills this request, look at Warhammer 40k with its epic scale and simple & effective in-story justification of how it can be sustained. It would both lessen the setting and make it unbelievable to have the world's population not be large enough to replenish itself even under the Hellbourne onslaught, it would also give the Hellbourne more space to do stuff in the lore rather than needing to keep the setting static - you could legitimately have this huge devastation going on.

Ok, with that most pressing of my concerns out of the way to make this setting be enjoyable and work, I'll go on to my questions.

- What is Hellbourne corruption?

- Does every Corrupted Disciple carry an orb? What does the orb do to its wielder when he dies and gets sucked in it, do they go and get tormented by the Ravenors? How do the orbs reach their intended targets? does the wielder have ultimate power over the orb and his Hellbourne powers or can they be taken away at will by some other entity (would seem kinda pointless to actually join the Hellbourne if they didn't even get power in return, but I don't know - or unless it isn't something you decide to do and more like something that infects you, and I like that but not as the only option)

- Does every Corrupted Disciple have the same powers? Is every Corrupted Disciple granted the same outfit?

- Who was the Dark Lady before her corruption?

- Why does Hellbringer's eyes glow green and his skin is blue after his corruption while Maliken, Corrupted Disciple and the Dark Lady (most notoriously in that video you did showing Maliken and Hellbringer side by side) get red eyes and a range of skin colour from purple to light and dark grey?

- Are the in-game particular examples of lore-wise generic units weaker, the same or stronger as the generics or is it a mix?

- Is everything in the Hellbourne roster united even if they don't have the same origins or is it more like finding each other acceptable? I mean why doesn't Wretched Hag kill Bushwack, why doesn't Devourer eat Kraken and so on. Why do the Hellbourne care at all about their non-demonic ''partners'' instead of just corrupting Newerth's inhabitants to weaken resistance and then killing the ''converts'' anyway (though I know they did that once before), or is that what they still do? can a corrupted being resist this or is its sense of self gone (goes back to questions 1 and the last question of question 2)

Thanks
    Last edited by Souljuice; 05-24-2013 at 04:10 PM.

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #7
    Thanks for your questions Souljuice! We'll get your answers to you next week, but here's one for now:

Who was the Dark Lady before her corruption?
    In the final days of the Collapse when Death ran rampant over the earth, he came upon Mala, a young woman tending to her father, a scientist whose last breaths rattled with infection.
    Mala pleaded with Death to spare her father, promising anything in return.
    Death's finger hovered over her father's heart. "You will be in thrall to me for all time. There are many souls to reap."
    As her father struggled to stop her, Mala bowed before Death and became The Dark Lady, harvester of souls. She spared a final glance for her weeping father as Death pulled her to her endless duties.
    Her father did not last many days beyond that, but he spent them scribbling furiously in his notebook, hoping someone would find his designs for machinery that could defeat Death and release his daughter. He gave the design a single name: Flux.

GG

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Judging by the quality of The Dark Lady's origin story I can't wait to see the rest of the answers next week

I just have to comment on what I find so good. First is this way of storytelling in general, the short and concise story that isn't told through an all-knowing, fact-focused 3rd party but reads more like a, well, story - this is so good, I really hope you keep this way of telling the lore unless something else fits better for the occasion or you want to mix things up. Then we have the details of how Death actually screwed her over anyway by not sparing her father after all, or perhaps we don't know what he's spared from? or Death had its own interpretation of what to spare him from and how (example, the father is ''spared'' from an ignominious end to ''Elysian fields'' by also being used as a tool of the Hellbourne), I like that open end. And then of course - nobody can miss it - the note about how her father spent his last days tie-in to Flux, which was so cool. And The Dark Lady is now several hundred years old?! wow!

Now I really can't wait to see more I actually have another question now - who was this particular Corrupted Disciple before his corruption? I'm going to guess that he is much younger than old horrors like Wretched Hag and The Dark Lady since he actually used to be a disciple of Sol and was probably part of Maliken's human army like Hammerstorm. But I could also see him having a more individual corruption, like being sent to find something or someone for reasons that in themselves would be interesting, going to some long-lost, dangerous location known only by legend and after butchering the demons and wretches there (or maybe he was more like a Martyr and not a Pyromancer to make him more notorious as he's the in-game example of his generic unit? hmm!), discovering something the Legion to this day regrets he did... I'm so excited to see if my guess for my favourite hero was right
    Last edited by Souljuice; 05-24-2013 at 04:39 PM.

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #9
    What is Hellbourne corruption?
    Hellbourne corruption is the expansion of decay, infection, sin, and defilement that the Hellbourne thrive upon. Just as man and nature upon Newerth seek a certain balance, the Hellbourne corruption wants chaos and discord. It taints all things living and dead.

Does every Corrupted Disciple carry an orb? What does the orb do to its wielder when he dies and gets sucked in it, do they go and get tormented by the Ravenors? How do the orbs reach their intended targets? Does the wielder have ultimate power over the orb and his Hellbourne powers or can they be taken away at will by some other entity (would seem kinda pointless to actually join the Hellbourne if they didn't even get power in return, but I don't know - or unless it isn't something you decide to do and more like something that infects you, and I like that but not as the only option)
    The worst part about the Corrupted Disciples is that they have chosen to serve the Hellbourne, rather than being forced to. They have betrayed Sol and their human brothers and sisters in return for immortality and dark powers. This welcome corruption makes them much more potent than those unwilling to wield it.

Here is a hint at how the Corrupted Disciple you know and love came to be, from the lore of Sister Martyr:
    Sister Juna grew up studying the Codex Solaris alongside her brother Jaru, competing with him to live the most devout life possible. When he betrayed her and exchanged Sol's divine love for Hellbourne immortality and became the fiend known as the Corrupted Disciple, Juna's heart was broken.
    She rushes into every battle she can, hoping to find her lost brother and bring him back to Sol's flock.

When a Corrupted Disciple dies, their tainted essence is drawn into the orb so it may re-manifest in physical form. The dark magic that powers them cannot be destroyed, but their physical form can be, at least temporarily.

The orbs are powered/maneuvered by the black energy that fills the Disciple.

There is no evidence a Corrupted Disciple has ever lost his/her powers, but that may be because if they choose to no longer serve the Hellbourne, the daemons simply force them to continue as an unwilling soldier of corruption. Sister Juna the Martyr would rejoice if her brother Jaru could be saved.

(Souljuice: If you're a fan of Corrupted Disciple, I hope you'll enjoy the lore coming out this week!)

Does every Corrupted Disciple have the same powers? Is every Corrupted Disciple granted the same outfit?
    The black corruption is affected by each Disciple, so every Disciple is unique in how he/she wields the dark powers.

Who was the Dark Lady before her corruption?
    See above.

Why does Hellbringer's eyes glow green and his skin is blue after his corruption while Maliken, Corrupted Disciple and the Dark Lady (most notoriously in that video you did showing Maliken and Hellbringer side by side) get red eyes and a range of skin colour from purple to light and dark grey?
    Each of the Hellbourne warriors is affected differently by the daemons that have corrupted and infected them. Just as flames burn with various colors when different materials are burned, corrupted magic runs the gamut of colors as it engulfs different souls.

Are the in-game particular examples of lore-wise generic units weaker, the same or stronger as the generics or is it a mix?
    If I understand the question, the in-game heroes are typically the strongest of their type (e.g. the Behemoth hero is the strongest of the Behemoths...so far).

Is everything in the Hellbourne roster united even if they don't have the same origins or is it more like finding each other acceptable? I mean why doesn't Wretched Hag kill Bushwack, why doesn't Devourer eat Kraken and so on. Why do the Hellbourne care at all about their non-demonic ''partners'' instead of just corrupting Newerth's inhabitants to weaken resistance and then killing the ''converts'' anyway (though I know they did that once before), or is that what they still do? can a corrupted being resist this or is its sense of self gone (goes back to questions 1 and the last question of question 2)
    This is a great question. It's pretty much "the enemy of my enemy is my friend," so the Hellbourne work together to defeat the Legion, as the Legion is currently the greatest threat. Once they are victorious, however, the daemons and factions within the Hellbourne would likely dissolve into chaos and butchery, which is fine with them.
    You can see examples of this already with the Rise of Ra and Seven Sins lore. In cases like these, daemons are trying to usurp Maliken as leader of the Hellbourne, partially because they want the power and think they will be able to defeat the Legion, but also because any type of order or discipline is contrary to these creatures of chaos.

GG

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddhaKekz View Post
    I had a pm conversation with Woodshed recently, among other things I suggested making a lore blog, where we could ask such lore questions. He hasn't answered to this yet, but maybe he has enough time and considers doing so.

Some questions of my own:

How is the Church of Sol organized? Right now it looks to be very similar to the Catholic Church. Do they have a pope or chief patriarch too?

When did magic appear on Newerth? Before or after the fall of the great civilization?

Do different breeds of animals have different functions in the Beast Horde society? Apes so far seem to be always shamans for example.

Why is Amun-Ra evil, when the mythological Ra was usually depicted as just and opposed to the forces of darkness (like the demon god Apophis)? Did he feel abandoned after he wasn't worshipped anymore, did he feel replaced by the new sun god Sol or is it the corruption of the Hellbourne that made him evil, yet weaker (explaining Risen Ra)?

Similar to Skinswords question, are there more human kingdoms, since Midas is called a king too? Is Jeraziah a high-king or is he just the king in charge of the forces while they are at war?

Was Flux in a way the prototype for Lodestone? His creations seems similar, only that it involved a demon getting imprissoned in an iron suit instead of a human legionnaire (also was this legionnaire's name Stark? )
    Getting to these next!

GG

11.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #11
    More details on this soon, along with the arrival of an old friend...

The Sacred Order is a sect within the Church of Sol. It is considered a fringe element of borderline zealots, but in dire times such devotion comes in handy.

It has always existed, but during the Great Civilization magic was ignored and forgotten, replaced by advanced science and technology. When those failed to save mankind during the First Corruption, he returned to what the beasts and elementals have always known--magic must be respected.

Not necessarily. Many of the beasts in Newerth are the result of genetic tinkering during the Great Civilization, when man defied nature and sought to create new species to fight his wars, carry his burdens and build his cities. During Man's Fall from Light, the First Corruption, and the Bestial Shift these species were left to fend for themselves, and they developed their own laws, religions, and cultures. Their natural instincts and talents combined with their modified skills to lead them down certain paths.

Why is Amun-Ra evil, when the mythological Ra was usually depicted as just and opposed to the forces of darkness (like the demon god Apophis)? Did he feel abandoned after he wasn't worshiped anymore, did he feel replaced by the new sun god Sol or is it the corruption of the Hellbourne that made him evil, yet weaker (explaining Risen Ra)?
    The Amun-Ra that was summoned by the corrupted disciples of Sol was an incomplete version of the benevolent Ra. This was a result of Sol displacing Ra as the true sun god, leaving Ra weak, bitter, and corruptible. He was powerless to prevent himself from being manifested by the dark sorcery that pulled him to Newerth, and those who called him forth were only interested in keeping the daemonic aspects of the ancient god. They pared what decency was left and sent him into battle. The being who emerged in the Risen Ra lore is the true, complete version of the god. Though after seeing what man is capable of, he is more neutral than he once was.

Jeraziah is King of the bannermen united under Maliken, before he fell into madness and corruption. There are many other banners and Kings in Newerth, some who would join the Legion if given the opportunity, some who would seek to dethrone Jeraziah by any means.
    Yes!

Was Flux in a way the prototype for Lodestone? His creation seems similar, only that it involved a demon getting imprisoned in an iron suit instead of a human legionnaire (also was this legionnaire's name Stark? )
    The Lodestone prototype was originally intended to be the first of many Chronos clones, but Dr. Repulsor could not recreate Chronos' intelligence. He settled for the brute strength and expendability of the Lodestones.

Expanded Flux lore:
    Titus the Legionnaire led a rout of the daemons, chasing them all the way to a sacrificial pit. He was the only soldier brave--or stupid--enough to pursue them below the surface of Newerth. Overwhelmed, he hacked his way to a rusted door somewhere beneath Hell's Keep and sealed it behind him, toppling shelves and crates to prevent the Hellbourne from entering.
    He found himself trapped in one of Taize the Electrician's experimental workshops. Among the piles of documents that spilled from a shattered crate he found a notebook, its pages brittle with age, filled with scribbled notes and sketches.
    Titus read the pages, then looked at the piles of discarded armor and machinery. He knew combat, not science, but the design was brilliant and straightforward. Most of all, he needed something that would get him back to the world of the living.
    The result was a war machine that fused with Titus forever and made him a force of nature itself. He gave it the name the anonymous designer had: Flux.

GG

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    I'm definitely looking forward to the CD lore!

It's interesting to note that unlike Maliken, Jaru's mind seems to be relatively intact judging by the difference of what they say and how they say it in-game. Is it that the most dangerous servants of the Hellbourne are those who somehow embrace becoming the corruption or something instead of harnessing it in a bargain like the disciples? I'd imagine that only the truly black souls like Maliken's would be eligible for that, making them the rarest, and I'd prefer that or something like it above the corrupted disciples being the most powerful group as again Jaru seems to be at least relatively sane compared to Maliken which means if these somewhat sane disciples are also powerful they get to have their cake and eat it too, which I don't see the Hellbourne as being the kind of faction to offer without a price (and that price for the disciples is to not be as powerful as the likes of Maliken - even they don't want to become that twisted and insane).

But that's just speculation from me. I'm going to guess that Maliken too is actually a corrupted disciple and it's just like you said, the corruption affects each of them differently... which is actually a good and concise explanation for this speculation that I'm satisfied with, consider me as having answered myself

Also just a sidenote. I couldn't help but draw the paralell between Blitz having the ability to quicken creatures and nobody ever being able to quicken the now possessed Chronos... maybe Blitz's part in recapturing Chronos and doing what no one else could will turn out to make him more important to the Legion than anyone could ever have grounds for suspecting he would be at first glance...?
    Last edited by Souljuice; 05-29-2013 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodshed View Post
    Yes!
    Thanks for the insight! I look forward to this map in particular.

And I already have new questions:

Can you tell us something about Kongor, Transmutanstein and Zorgath? They are all boss neutrals, yet they seem to have almost zero lore attached to them. They are all obviously powerful, why do they choose to stay neutral in this war? Were they approached by either side?

The dragon ancients, do they have something to do with Draconis? They are dragons too, but they don't seem to care about protecting the Worldtree. Are they even sapient?

Are the Worldtree and the Sefir Tree the same thing? Are there many Worldtrees (since they appear on all maps, like the Hellbourne's shrines)?

The different types of beast are a product of men playing god, if I understood you correctly. Do the different types of humanoids also come from this (dwarves, dark elves, goblins, orcs, trolls etc)?

Was the Hellbourne aware of the Rift before Valeria meddled with it? Did they try to invade it themself at some point?

Can you give some details on Puppet Master, Voodoo Jester and Wretched Hag? Are they daemons of the Hellbourne or corrupted humans/beasts, or even something entirely different?

How can Gunblade speak, he doesn't seem to have a mouth? On a related note, how can Bushwack close his mouth with those giant tusks comming out of it? :P
    I must admit, when I saw the message subject I thought, "Uh-oh, what did I screw up?" - [S2]Woodshed (in response to my latest p.m.)

Thank you Woodshed for responding to these questions! I have another batch of queries for you.

1. I thought that the Savage Wars started after Maliken united man under one banner and declared their renewed superiority over the beasts. Therefore, I though that the Savage Wars was from the Reunification of the Five Tribes up until the Hellbourne betrayal. Since that obviously isn't true (I doubt that Maliken and Jereziah has existed for centuries), could you please detail some of the events that led to and took place in the Savage Wars?

2. It is clear that the Hellbourne preceded Maliken. When I originally asked for the leader of the Hellbourne, I thought that Maliken might just be a general in their Newerth campaign. Since Maliken is actually the leader of the Hellbourne, who or what preceded him? What is the hierarchy or chain of command of the Hellbourne?

3. Cthluhuphant's lore is rather ambiguous and there are various interpretations of his background. The most prevalent theory is that he is a dead behemoth that is morphed by errant underground energies and is resurrected as the Cthulhuphant. Another theory is that C2luphant is a manifestation of the dead behemoth's nightmares. The theory that I proposed was that C2luphant is Newerth's version of Lovecraft's C2lu, and that the dreams that the dead behemoth has witnessed are a harbinger of his coming. Which one of these theories (if any) are true?

4. Can Parasite infest heroes? If so, how come Parasite can't infest key members of Legion's chain of command and destroy them from the inside out? If not, what are the limitations of Parasite's infestation abilities?

5. Is Newerth a continent or a planet?

6. Are there any Old World factions/governments/organizations that survived the First Corruption (like the Enclave from the Fallout series)? What are their fates?

7. You have frequently mentioned the manipulation of time as a phenomena in the Legion's war against the Hellbourne. How and why does this happen?

8. Maliken built an empire by unifying errant tribes of men into the Legion. Why would Maliken join the Hellbourne to destroy his life's work?
    Last edited by Skinsword; 05-30-2013 at 02:31 AM.

15.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #15
    Thanks for the interest and questions guys, I'll get to these ASAP!

GG

16.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Souljuice View Post
    I'm definitely looking forward to the CD lore!

It's interesting to note that unlike Maliken, Jaru's mind seems to be relatively intact judging by the difference of what they say and how they say it in-game. Is it that the most dangerous servants of the Hellbourne are those who somehow embrace becoming the corruption or something instead of harnessing it in a bargain like the disciples? I'd imagine that only the truly black souls like Maliken's would be eligible for that, making them the rarest, and I'd prefer that or something like it above the corrupted disciples being the most powerful group as again Jaru seems to be at least relatively sane compared to Maliken which means if these somewhat sane disciples are also powerful they get to have their cake and eat it too, which I don't see the Hellbourne as being the kind of faction to offer without a price (and that price for the disciples is to not be as powerful as the likes of Maliken - even they don't want to become that twisted and insane).

But that's just speculation from me. I'm going to guess that Maliken too is actually a corrupted disciple and it's just like you said, the corruption affects each of them differently... which is actually a good and concise explanation for this speculation that I'm satisfied with, consider me as having answered myself

Also just a sidenote. I couldn't help but draw the paralell between Blitz having the ability to quicken creatures and nobody ever being able to quicken the now possessed Chronos... maybe Blitz's part in recapturing Chronos and doing what no one else could will turn out to make him more important to the Legion than anyone could ever have grounds for suspecting he would be at first glance...?
    Souljuice,

Very nice analysis on your part. Here's the difference between the Corrupted Disciples and Maliken: The Corrupted Disciples have willfully given themselves over to being controlled by daemonic energy, and they are pawns of the Hellbourne. Very powerful pawns, but they have no free will (whether they know it or not).

Maliken tried to walk the tightrope between good and evil, light and dark, in order to reap the benefits and power of both. He fell into madness and was claimed by the Hellbourne, but this pure evil only made him more powerful. He never willfully succumbed to the darkness--he has always fought to command it, rather than allow it to command him. He is well aware no one is ever certain whether his actions are guided by his free will or the Hellbourne, and this is the way he likes it.

Regarding Blitz and Chronos:
    This is somewhat confusing, so I apologize.
    In the case of Blitz, quicken is used as a verb with an object: to make more rapid; accelerate; hasten.
    With Chronos, quicken is used as a verb without an object: to become alive; receive life.

So Blitz's quickening makes things go faster, with Chronos, no one could ever find a way to bring him to life. In the latter case, think The Highlander or Frankenstein's Monster.

GG

Quote Originally Posted by Woodshed View Post
    So Blitz's quickening makes things go faster, with Chronos, no one could ever find a way to bring him to life. In the latter case, think The Highlander or Frankenstein's Monster.
    Did you just make a reference to Highlander II: The Quickening, aka one of the worst movies ever made? xD

18.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddhaKekz View Post
    Did you just make a reference to Highlander II: The Quickening, aka one of the worst movies ever made? xD
    Fighting words! This is obviously a classic piece of...cinema?

GG

Classic piece of cinema indeed...

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    What a great thread. I hope you don't mid if I ask a couple of questions myself

What is the structure of Newerth as a system? Is it an infinite multiverse, The Rift being only one of many various dimensions, or is there a concrete number of worlds somehow connected to each other?

Where exactly do the Hellbourne come from? Had the corruption always been there in the depth of Newerth, or was it somehow accidentally summoned from another world or even created during the fall of ancient civilization? Is Hell (often mentioned in the lore) just one more dimension, strongly tied with Newerth?

What is The Dark Lady's connection to the Hellbourne, if she is the servant of Death itself?

Is it possible for a Corrupted Disciple to regain his free will and take over the dark power, becoming it's true master? Maybe turning into a being similar to Maliken or even more sane and powerful than him?

As far as I know, there is a huge lore expansion coming, with many rewritten stories and a lot of added details for each hero and even alt avatars. Will each hero have about the same amount of text in his lore as the new heroes (Lodestone, Prisoner, Sir Benzington)? When (approximately) should everything be finished? Will you expand item's lore too?

Lore-wise, what are the runes (Double Damage, Illusion, Regeneration, Haste and Refreshment)?

What is the nature of Sol? And Lunari, for that matter. Are they somehow completely different from the ancient gods? Or are they, in the end, the same kind of beings, but with more power due to a larger amount of followers?

Nymphora's and Cthulhuphant's engagement. Is it legit and really happened, or was it just added for fun? Will their (and Illithiphelia's) story be continued, expanded and explained in the future?

What is the Rulian Marsh?

How high is Lord Salforis' relative power level? How "sane" is he, what are his goals?

Of all the characters and personalities of Newerth, who would you call the most interesting? Who's story do you find the most amusing? Why? Excluding Maliken, Jereziah and Ophelia, please.

We know that Berzerker doesn't really care about the war and only joined Legion for a chance to fight with powerful demons, Grinex has no relation to either side whatsoever and only wants to go back home or bring his home to Newerth. Which heroes/avatars can also be considered "neutral" to some extent?

Is there no lore "attached" to the recent ultimate Monkey King avatar? I was sure that there'll be at least something and hoped for him to remove the golden seal, break free from Ophelia's command and regain former strength.

That's all for know, but I'll probably think of something else later
    Last edited by Eng1ne`; 07-17-2013 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Adding questions