Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread. Thread: [S2E1] Averoth, the Siege Mountain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Account Icon

[S2E1] Averoth, the Siege Mountain

Averoth, the Siege Mountain

Long ago, when Man's need was dire, Sol saw fit to give Man a powerful gift. Sol reached down and found an ancient mountain, and sculpting it, forged the creature Averoth. Averoth is a great beast of war, huge beyond reckoning, and possessing the power of the mountain he was shaped from.

Hero Description:
    Averoth is a melee strength hero with an unusually large model size (300 unit radius). He also has an exceptionally slow windup on his attack animation, taking roughly three seconds to attack. Instead, he deals damage by walking over his foes, dealing constant damage to everything underneath his feet. Averoth is a supportive hero who focuses on damage absorption and pushing power.

Critical Hero Mechanics:
    Averoth's hero model is 300 units in radius, the same size as Pyromancer's stun.

Averoth has uniquely low starting magic armor. He starts with only .5 magic armor.

Averoth's attack animation has a huge windup. If you attack a target, it will take 3 seconds for damage to be done.

Trample attacks are treated as one single literal attack every .8 seconds, dealing 100% cleave damage to all foes underneath Averoth.

Averoth's second ability, Wake the Earth, creates a literal high ground with fog and miss chance. Mechanically, he does not himself become the ground (wards placed on top of him remain where they were placed if Averoth moves).

Stats:
    Str: 28 + 4.2
    Agi: 0 + 0.0
    Int: 14 + 1.8
    Movespeed: 270
    Base Damage: 80-87

Physical Armor: 3.7
    Magic Armor: 0.5

Stomp
    "The titan lifted its body, and slammed down upon the earth. Half of our forces were crushed. The sound was like a thousand anvils being shattered; I shudder now to think of it."

Deals 120/200/280/360 physical damage to all enemies underneath Averoth. Enemies are stunned for 1 second.

A 500 unit area around Averoth becomes cracked and broken after Stomp is cast, slowing enemies for 10/15/20/25% as long as they remain in the area. Lasts 3.5 seconds.

Cooldown: 14 seconds
    Mana cost: 100

Wake the Earth
    "The creature sank into the earth; to sleep, we thought with relief. But when the tangled trees grew from the barren waste, we knew we had been mistaken."

Channel to sink into the terrain, shaping it. Averoth becomes high ground, and allies standing on top of him are considered uphill. As long as he channels, his unit size is increased by 25 radius per second, increasing the high ground's size up to a maximum of 500 unit radius. Can be channeled indefinitely. While in this form, Averoth ignores stuns that last less than 1 second(after reduction by Might of the Mountain), and gains 40% damage reduction, while dealing 30% reduced damage himself. Allies standing on top of Averoth gain one charge of the Oakshield buff per second; each stack of Oakshield heals the ally 0/6/12/18 health per second, and prevents one instance of up to 20/30/40/50 damage, consuming the top stack. Oakshield stacks last 3 seconds; gaining new stacks does not refresh stack duration.

Averoth will not expand over cliffs or other impassable terrain.

When Averoth breaks the channel, he gains 10 movespeed for every second he channeled, up to 40/60/80/100 movespeed.

Cooldown: 40 seconds
    Manacost: 50/60/70/80

Trample
    "Each step it took was an earthquake to us. Those who fell beneath the beast were seen again only as smears on the pounded dirt."

Passive
    This ability has five levels, and starts at level 1 at the start of the game.
    Averoth gains unit walking and tree walking. Trees he passes over are destroyed.

Averoth deals his attack damage to all enemies underneath him once every 3/2/1.6/1.2/.8 seconds. These are treated as regular attacks in every way, applying modifiers and proccing items.

Might of the Mountain
    "The titan smashed through our walls like paper. It cannot be stopped."

Passive
    Averoth gains 4/8/12 armor.

Averoth can only be slowed by a maximum of 25/20/15%.

Averoth has 20/30/40% reduced duration on all stuns.

Averoth's attacks deal 100/200/300% bonus damage to structures, and permanently reduce structure armor by .5 per attack.

: TBD

Identity. Why is this hero unique?
    Averoth is probably the most unique hero design I have ever made. Before I explain why, here are the heroes that I think are most similar to Averoth in role:

Initiators, pushers, gankers, and carries. None of these heroes even closely approximate Averoth's complete playstyle, but together all of them do a decent job of explaining why Averoth is unique. Let's overview his unique mechanics:
    1) Model Size + Trample
    Averoth is larger than any other hero, which has significant ramifications in and of itself. He's the only hero with passive unitwalking and passive treewalking, both of which have strategic implications even I may not have fully considered. Trample makes Averoth a terrible laner (especially combined with his attack animation), but it makes him a reasonable mid laner and a good jungler. Played in the midlane, Averoth is similar to Balphegore, Salforis, and Forsaken Archer. He can dominate against other melee heroes, and against anyone else he can farm conservatively until they leave the lane to gank, and then push the lane and take the tower very fast. In the jungle, he plays similarly to Legionnaire, stacking camps and clearing them using Trample.
    2) Attack Windup + Bonus Structure Damage
    Averoth's attacks are extremely slow, making it impossible for him to last hit in the lane. Instead, Averoth's autoattacks act like a slow battering ram, dealing huge amounts of damage to structures through Might of the Mountain. Averoth's autoattacks are his strongest pushing asset.
    3) Wake the Earth
    This is perhaps the most innovative skill I have ever created, and probably the most difficult part of playing Averoth. Correctly timed and placed, Wake the Earth can provide a significant teamfight advantage through the higher ground it provides.
    4) .5 starting Magic Armor
    Averoth is exceptionally durable against physical damage, but is at a severe disadvantage versus magic damage. His large model size combined with his low damage reduction against magic damage makes magic damage an effective counter.

Probably Averoth's most robustly unique aspect is not his ability to fill multiple roles in new ways, but rather his highly team-oriented playstyle.

Purpose. Why would somebody pick this hero over another ganker, pusher, or carry?
    Firstly, Averoth cannot sidelane very effectively, so you would only pick him to jungle, or to counter a melee mid hero (perhaps someone will figure out how to sidelane him and I'll be proven wrong). Asides from the laning phase factors, Averoth combines very well with fragile damage dealers, especially ranged carries. There is no pushing hero in the game that can do everything that Averoth does, there are no carries that can push as hard as he does, and there are no gankers in the game that can push as hard as he does. All of these factors combined make Averoth appealing in ways that no other hero currently is, but also makes him unappealing for many teams as well. His strength vs. physical damage lineups also influences his playability.
    Playstyle. How do the abilities work together?
    I first wrote Averoth over two years ago, and I've put a lot of thought into this. Averoth's core skill is his passive, Trample, which allows him to deal his attack damage to everything currently underneath him. Therefore, Averoth's main objective is generally to keep enemies underneath his model! His first skill does this very well. Once you're on top of someone, you use it to stun them, and then the entire area is slowed for a few seconds, making it easy to stay on top of your target. Averoth's ultimate grants him resistance to slows and stuns, which helps Trample as well. All of Averoth's other mechanics serve to make him more team oriented, and attempt to make his strongest asset his teamfighting, which is as it should be--without it, Averoth would be a fairly typical ricing hero with a good farming skill but no incentive to move the game forward.

Why is this hero good for Hon?
    Averoth is good for HoN primarily because I believe he will be a very fun hero to play, and to play against. He adds an element of epicness to HoN that no other hero really has. He lifts his huge fists and slams down against the tower, dealing huge amounts of damage, slamming into the tower against and again... He adds to the aesthetic of the game. In addition, he's fun because he's challenging. Following enemies while staying on top of them as they juke requires incredible skill, and it will feel very rewarding to watch an enemy's health melt away as you thunder over them.
    As far as "meta", I'm not a very competitive HoN player and I'm not very literate in explaining exactly how Averoth might impact the game as a whole. I can say that he would certainly provide a new kind of variety to the game, visually, mechanically, thematically. Averoth is a very impressive hero on the screen, and I think new players will immediately be curious about how he is played. He's basically the biggest, tankiest thing out there by a large margin. As a pushing aggressive carry, I think he will do more to increase game speed than he does to slow it.

Last edited by Apostate; 08-23-2013 at 04:21 PM.

Biggest question about this hero is whether he can attack apart from walking over enemies with his passive?

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    He could originally. With like a 3 second windup time if I recall correctly
    O little town in U.S.A, your time has come to see
    There's nothing you believe you want
    But where were you when it all came down on me?
    Did you call me now?

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    He lives up to his name as a mountain. I think the ult and trample could be rolled into each other to some degree and you could give him a more interesting tower destroying ult. I think this hero could fill a useful niche as a tanky tower destroyer on push teams.

Forum Moderators are not S2 Games employees. My posts in no way represent the view of S2 Games or any of its staff.

Please use the report post function to have me review a post that you believe is breaking the Forum Rules.
    Check the Sticky Threads for additional information on this sub-forum and the Announcement Threads for more information about Heroes of Newerth as a whole!

-----------------------------

He is good for defending too with the ground elevating.
    But can you stick wards on him?

Account Icon
    It's definitely possible for Trample and Might of the Mountain to be combined, but I don't think it would make the hero better. I actually find his current tower-destroying mechanic very interesting. It's like he's a battering ram or a siege engine, where you deal one huge burst of damage every few seconds. It allows the player to take a brief break from activity, and just enjoy the experience of watching Averoth crush a building.
    Last edited by Apostate; 05-16-2013 at 03:34 PM.

Account Icon
    I am so glad you added this to the contest. But the staff sucks btw.

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by IsmaelVera View Post
    I am so glad you added this to the contest. But the staff sucks btw.
    Removed. You're right, it was more of a placeholder. Any suggestions?

Ok, the hero does not look like an overpowered Moon Queen since he can not attack in addition to the trample effect of the passive. How does attack speed work on him? Is it completely worthless?

Overall, I think this hero looks very good. And I can easily see him fitting into an interesting niche of push and anti-pusher.

I do believe permantly reducing the armor of towers is very Op. It removes too much of the risk of pushing as even if the enemies repel a push by Averoth, the tower will have lost so much armor that the next push will be much easier. The hero does not lose much if the ult lowers towers armor by x per attack for y seconds.

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPeckers View Post
    Ok, the hero does not look like an overpowered Moon Queen since he can not attack in addition to the trample effect of the passive. How does attack speed work on him? Is it completely worthless?

Overall, I think this hero looks very good. And I can easily see him fitting into an interesting niche of push and anti-pusher.

I do believe permantly reducing the armor of towers is very Op. It removes too much of the risk of pushing as even if the enemies repel a push by Averoth, the tower will have lost so much armor that the next push will be much easier. The hero does not lose much if the ult lowers towers armor by x per attack for y seconds.
    Well, I suppose attack speed would be able to slightly increase his attack speed (im not sure how that's all calculated), but if possible I would really like attack speed to be completely worthless on him. If not, Elder Parasite would be pretty much core, with the active effect being used to shred towers faster.

For the moment I would like to keep the permanent armor reduction. It's strong, true, but it can be removed if it causes problems. It's more for base towers and raxes than it is for the outer towers, which will die regardless.

I also notice that this hero has 0 armor and no way of gaining additional armor before level 6 making this hero very, very squishy despite his huge strength gain.

Also, how will he last hit or deny in lane? If the attacking is passive while he walks over creeps, he will have no way to choose when to last hit or deny and he will heavily push the lane.

Frankly, I do not see how you would lane this hero at all. If you can get the hero past 6, sure, he becomes valuable, but getting there without losing the lane will be hard.

I suggest you make him more of a jungler, so the last hitting, denying, and weak lane presence is not an issue.

Do not get me wrong, I like this hero. But, he is so far outside the scope of a normal hero that he needs extra attention to be payed to how we will accomplish core mechanics of HoN.

Account Icon
    I also notice that this hero has 0 armor and no way of gaining additional armor before level 6 making this hero very, very squishy despite his huge strength gain.

Also, how will he last hit or deny in lane? If the attacking is passive while he walks over creeps, he will have no way to choose when to last hit or deny and he will heavily push the lane.

Frankly, I do not see how you would lane this hero at all. If you can get the hero past 6, sure, he becomes valuable, but getting there without losing the lane will be hard.

I suggest you make him more of a jungler, so the last hitting, denying, and weak lane presence is not an issue.

Do not get me wrong, I like this hero. But, he is so far outside the scope of a normal hero that he needs extra attention to be payed to how we will accomplish core mechanics of HoN.
    Peckers, it says clearly in the OP that he's intended to be a jungle hero. I state specifically that he probably can't lane. <3 He jungles very well. At level 1 he deals about 45 physical damage a second to everything underneath him, and at level 3 he deals about 61 damage. I *think* that's enough to make his jungling good enough. If it isn't, then I'll have to come up with a way of making his jungling better.

You can mid with him sort of like Salforis by chasing an enemy melee mid away from the creeps, since his body is large enough to block effectively. However, he has difficulty denying creeps in a timely manner. I think with practice people will learn to deny with him fairly well anyways, since he has high attack damage.

As for the armor thing, you just buy armor items. Simple. A guardian ring at the start of the game might be enough to solve that problem.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    I do have a thought about him laning. I'm by no means a pro, but I can *almost* see averoth as a baby-sitter for his lane. if you got first item marchers, and went probably trample then stomp, you should be able to manuver well enough, with unit and tree walking, to force the enemies off the creeps. An aggressive ranged lane would be troublesome, but if you picked up some armor and had a set of runes o' blight to start, you should be able to stay close enough to the creeps to level well, especially since you wouldn't be roaming like a support really. It's not the ideal role early on, or situation in general for the hero, but I figured since I thought it, I might as well share it.
    O little town in U.S.A, your time has come to see
    There's nothing you believe you want
    But where were you when it all came down on me?
    Did you call me now?

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Whats the slowest movement speed in game right now?

Is this slower or on level?

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyRaynor View Post
    I do have a thought about him laning. I'm by no means a pro, but I can *almost* see averoth as a baby-sitter for his lane. if you got first item marchers, and went probably trample then stomp, you should be able to manuver well enough, with unit and tree walking, to force the enemies off the creeps. An aggressive ranged lane would be troublesome, but if you picked up some armor and had a set of runes o' blight to start, you should be able to stay close enough to the creeps to level well, especially since you wouldn't be roaming like a support really. It's not the ideal role early on, or situation in general for the hero, but I figured since I thought it, I might as well share it.
    I feel like I've made a good hero when people are able to suggest stuff like this I've never thought about.

I think your idea might be able to work with the right set up. It could be similar to cthlulu, who jungles but can sort of help the lane more than a typical jungle hero.

So, he will automatically deny any allied creeps below the 50% mark?

As for being able to jungle, I am not so worried about the creep clearing side as the ability to tank creeps. With 0 armor, this hero is completely reliant on keeping pots running to him constantly to maintain his hp despite his extreme hp and any items like Buckler or Guardian rings. Consequently, I fear he will not be as efficient of a jungler as other heroes like Lego.

Account Icon

As for being able to jungle, I am not so worried about the creep clearing side as the ability to tank creeps. With 0 armor, this hero is completely reliant on keeping pots running to him constantly to maintain his hp despite his extreme hp and any items like Buckler or Guardian rings. Consequently, I fear he will not be as efficient of a jungler as other heroes like Lego.
    Come on Peckers...you know that no damaging skill can deny, (except attack modifiying spells or Plaguuuh)

Umm...just throwing this out...

Might of Newerth
    -Gains Cliffwalking and Buildingwalking. Deals an additional 80/100/120 Physical Damage per second to Buildings and enemies while not attacking (so it procs on W and while moving)

*Utility based Sotm which gives more damage, and focuses on his movement, while giving him the option to be a pusher.

One thing though sir. Trample cannot activate procs or modifiers. It would be OP if Thunderclaw automatically hits 5 attacks just by sitting there every 0.8 seconds.

He shouldn't be that type of hero anyways.

Sugestion:
    -Make casting Stomp break out of W. It would look amazing to break the hill you made.

Quote Originally Posted by Apostate View Post
    Well, I suppose attack speed would be able to slightly increase his attack speed (im not sure how that's all calculated), but if possible I would really like attack speed to be completely worthless on him. If not, Elder Parasite would be pretty much core, with the active effect being used to shred towers faster.

For the moment I would like to keep the permanent armor reduction. It's strong, true, but it can be removed if it causes problems. It's more for base towers and raxes than it is for the outer towers, which will die regardless.
    You could give him a garbage BAT so that any AS is wasted.

If it isn't, then I'll have to come up with a way of making his jungling better.
    Make his free high ground also give melee / melee creep miss.

Account Icon

No.

If that's the case, I'll simply give him the appropriate starting armor in order to make jungling work. It's an easy fix.

I'm intrigued by the cliffwalking aspect of Might of Newerth. I think it's a good idea but I want to explore it further.

You misunderstand how trample works. Trample deals one single autoattack underneath him. Therefore, each .8 second attack has a single chance of proccing items like Thunderclaw. It's important that modifiers and procs work, because Brutalizer can be effective on him, as can Frostbrand and its constituents. Dawnbringer especially is a very solid item on this hero, giving him everything that he needs.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    I will not write a full review. If you want a review go to the original draft, as i did a full review a short time ago there and not that much has changed.

Old-review

Very refreshing, you really wanted to breack out of tons of "commom barriers" with this hero

Q: Very, very simple ability. Devastating but hard to use.

W: Basically a 50% evasion in a 300 radius + a good heal.
    Does this ability disable E? Because its silly for him to go into the ground and still trample the enemies
    Does this ability heal himself? If so, than that would be too strong, regarding its Str-Gain.
    I think that enemies that get onto him should not miss anymore, but should not benefit from high ground either.

E: His way of attacking. Huge radius. Cool concept
    Must be leveld on level 1 to be able to walk through narrow pathes
    If he sits ontop of three enemys, and will he get three charges on a thunderclaw? How does this ability work with crit?

R: Basically a mixture of Booboo, Boris for towerpushing.
    Grants some much needed armor, to compensate for his not-existent Agi
    Greatly reduces the power of slows and stuns on him.

Overall i like the idea behind the draft, but i would increase the bonus Ms on Heal the Earth, for it is hard enough to get ontop of its target anyway without a pk.
    This hero is so refreshing, he plays like no other hero in the game.

I don't know how to reduce its farming power, without breaking the hero, but its current-speed is sick, and you need at least 3 heroes to stop him, i think.

Biggest problem:
    You can't really discuss the strenght off him, because he breaks so many boundaries, that you can't draw comparisons. This hero would have to be defined in a testing-phase.

What i found the most interesting is his most-likely item-choice:
    Posthaste and Portal-key

The only change i see is made to Wake the Earth, which lost its absurd heal and was more changed to complement his trample and his itembuild.
    I really think it was a good change and works much better now.

You could make him unique in giving him 0 magic-armor, as he has very high hp from beginning to start to withstand some magic assaults.
    And it would make magical anti-tank heroes a counter, and everyhero should at least have a soft-counter.