Toggle Snow

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread. Thread: S2 - Why Haven't You Released Custom Maps?

Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

S2 - Why Haven't You Released Custom Maps?

Before anyone mentions them, the only official responses to the question from the title are;

Quote Originally Posted by Maliken View Post
    In early 2009 it was our initial intentions to have custom maps. Those plans have obviously changed. If we revisit that topic and have a different perspective, we'll let the community know.
    Quote Originally Posted by S2AceJr
    Please do not think that we have not addressed this issue before. Actually Maliken briefly spoke on it in the forums two weeks ago https://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/s...N-and-S2/page2.
    I understand your frustration and have to ask that you bear with us for now. I am talking with the programmers and developers to give you a fully detailed explanation of why we chose to go in the direction that we have and the complications that arise if custom maps were added to the game. Thank you for your patience, a more in depth answer will be given shortly.
    To address Maliken's response, it wasn't S2's intention to have custom maps, it was something you guys actively marketed on your website to convince players to switch, as if it was already implemented. You told me in 2009 when I bought your game that I would be playing custom maps. And I'm still waiting for your phone call.

To address AceJr's quote just look at the reddit thread - "Posted 2 months ago".

Before anyone makes the argument that this is just about me, here are some community testimonials (used without permission, I hope all of you don't mind).

Quote Originally Posted by roketx
    Every HoN client has a dedicated server bundled with it which is literally all you need to play custom maps, they simply added a line to prevent people connecting to them, which a nameless person cracked, all you have to do [s2] is cease banning those who would use this.
    I'm working on some huge map projects right now and I have been spending almost every second of my free time on them, including a Warcraft III Port and a WoW Arena remake and more, and yet I worry that the majority of people who would love to play these maps will never have the chance because of lack of exposure and ban threats, am I wasting my time sigh.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonMeander
    I wish custom maps were out right now
    Quote Originally Posted by fittske
    I think it would be great if they added them, it would probably bring a ton of people back to HoN. I'd love it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zfreek
    Custom Maps own
    Quote Originally Posted by ledbetterus
    If anything, custom maps will bring a lot more traffic to HoN. People will see how solid of a game it really is and maybe actually get interested in playing HoN over LoL or DotA2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynuts
    custom maps > no custom maps
    Quote Originally Posted by Insania
    Custom maps were the best thing that ever happened to warcraft 3
    I love this game, sometimes even the community. I want it to succeed, flourish, and become as popular as possible. Allowing custom maps (not adding them - maps are already being created and played, it just doesn't have S2's blessing or support) would spawn a larger increase in the international player base than ANYTHING else you could do. If you need me to personally get a petition going to gauge interest, I'll do it. Please, bring the idea back up, and remember the community - I promise you most of us would have gladly taken Uther Party over a witch slayer bot. We want this. Badly.

I understand the reasons you've failed to honor your promise regarding custom maps could be private. That's fine. Just please, let us all know that so we can put the issue to rest, instead of linking to circular responses like the ones above. Give us some closure. Please.

Thank you,
    Kyle Freedman

I suppose this post. Imb4 delete/lock inc
    My custom map -> Pacman HoN Style

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Custom Maps will for sure make me happy and possibly most other players.

It doesn't take a genius, the idea and concept is good but it will split the community.

Quote Originally Posted by swindlemelonzz View Post
    I promise you most of us would have gladly taken Uther Party over a witch slayer bot.
    Truer words have never been spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by AceJR
    Please do not think that we have not addressed this issue before. Actually Maliken briefly spoke on it in the forums two weeks ago https://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/s...N-and-S2/page2. I understand your frustration and have to ask that you bear with us for now. I am talking with the programmers and developers to give you a fully detailed explanation of why we chose to go in the direction that we have and the complications that arise if custom maps were added to the game. Thank you for your patience, a more in depth answer will be given shortly.
    Still waiting for this one...
    If you had to room with another gamer, who would it be and why?
    Insania; I like to keep my enemies close (I suspect he’s a terrorist).

-NoobG

Anyone not quite sure about it; just think of footman frenzy on HoN's engine! Or Pudge wars, or any other awesome custom map you had in your downloads folder, in wc3!

I'd love to have custom maps implemented. It was one of the things that turned me to HoN in the first place, like most other people with a wc3 background; the promise of custom maps.
    \m/ Rest In Peace, Jeff Hanneman! (1964 - 2013) \m/

Gimme Warlock in a smooth engine, oh god.. please.

p.s iNsania used to be competitive warlock player, watch out guys

Quote Originally Posted by CrabJuice View Post
    Anyone not quite sure about it; just think of footman frenzy on HoN's engine! Or Pudge wars, or any other awesome custom map you had in your downloads folder, in wc3!

I'd love to have custom maps implemented. It was one of the things that turned me to HoN in the first place, like most other people with a wc3 background; the promise of custom maps.
    I think about those, then I also think about the queues for sd games.

If we knew for sure custom maps would bring enough players that we wouldn't notice the queues I'd go for it, but as it is right now it's a risk not worth taking imo.

i wanna play civilization wars again (( actually planning a stand alone version though XD
    Ok. So if you leave a game, you are sent an AIDS needle. Additionally, you get +1 disconnect AND are forced to play as Kongor next game. You can't leave his lair, except when a rune spawns. You must run directly to the rune (still as Kongor) and guard it. If you do not do this, then HoN immediately shuts down and formats your hard drive and injects you with the AIDS needle.

I want to play some games of tag.
    Not going to sugarcoat it for you hun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mynuts View Post

p.s iNsania used to be competitive warlock player, watch out guys
    It's called prophets now!... just join the custom maps channel in game..... prophets is the highest active game, but we only need more people to join for the all the great games to be active again.

If more players knew that they could potentially host or perhaps be on a team in a game that some sG, ex-TDM, complexity player might join , that alone would be a huge incentive for people to play custom games

Regardless of how it "splits the comunity" there already is a split in people in HoN today, the people who play all the time and the people who play some of the time looking for something new fresh and exciting to play. HoN is a great game with a lot of potential but the s2 staff is limiting the distances/growth that they could reach.
    Last edited by Macefire; 05-08-2013 at 06:26 PM.
    Prophet for profit. BGOD

I would love custom maps, they were a big reason I paid for this game way back in beta.

Supporting this! Custom maps owns.

Played enough custom maps in WC3 to say that I would be more than happy to have them in HoN. S2 could even sell them through the store to make a profit for you and the create.r

Also I think the queue times are not due to server load but are caused by the "lack"of players.
    "All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them." -Galileo Galilei

"The Man who views the world with 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life" -Muhammad Ali

"Seek for the truth and question the people who believe to have found it" - Me

Custom maps are the reason why I played Wc3 for 10 years.

Custom maps would be so imba. And probably something that would be expected with hype and noticed by people other than the moba genre (if executed correctly).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QienIRQUOm8
    ^VIVA BRAZIIIL^
    More than 50 Guides on my Youtube-Channel
    www.youtube.com/Raawrrish
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2D8XtleNxk
    ^10 Devs clashing in Midwars ^

the obvious answer is because they haven't figured out a way to monetize them

Completely agree that custom maps should be supported by S2. It's sad that Hon has the best engine and arguably the best game but has gotten rolled over by LoL and Dota 2. Implementing custom maps would give Hon an edge over LoL and Dota 2 and could be very profitable for S2.

Quote Originally Posted by Petzergling View Post
    the obvious answer is because they haven't figured out a way to monetize them
    Do you really think after four years they can't come up with a way to monetize custom maps?

Quote Originally Posted by Mynuts View Post
    This!

Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast