Thread: Idea for HoN Achievements

View Poll Results: Do you think this idea should be worked on and implemented?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

82 80.39%
  • No

20 19.61%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Idea for HoN Achievements

Over a fortnight ago I quickly typed out a suggestion for achievements on the HoN subreddit http://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofnewerth.
    You can find the whole thread here: http://www.reddit.com/r/HeroesofNewe...ku68?context=3

It received an overwhelming amount of support with a few people requesting that I post it here on the official forums. Hopefully you guys like my idea and maybe in the future this could become a reality.

Below is the extract taken directly from my original submission fifteen days ago:

There are so many things HoN should do but never has which would make the game so much more addictive if there are rewards for achievements.
    If HoN added achievements they should reward players by giving them free (EDIT: at least unlockable) skins that is only available by achieving said achievement. Such as:

• Reaching 1720 MMR
    • Reaching 1600 MMR
    • Winning 5, 10 games in a row
    • Win a game in under 15 minutes
    • Comeback from a game where you have lost two raxx.
    • Your team has taken the rune 5 times in a row.
    • Win one game each with the fire heroes (I don't know something like Magmus, Pyro, Draconis etc.) etc.

Notice how none of the achievements encourage KSing, or GPM hogging etc. so not to deviate from the winning objective. Also notice how some of the achievements encourage team play, rune control and widening your choice of heroes.
    I don't know how S2 feels about giving away free skins, but I honestly think it would really encourage the addictive aspect of the game. Therefore increasing playtime, user interest and in turn more gamers.
    Talking about "addictiveness", S2 could be making some serious mullah if they added in random rewards. There are countless examples that one of the most addictive things in unpredictable rewards. The chance of winning something so big is so enticing that a lot of people are willing to invest just for the meager chance of getting that big pay out. Common examples of this are:

• World of Warcraft's looting system (slim chance for the epic item)
    • FIFA's Ultimate Team (slim chance for football superstar cards)
    • EDIT: adding TF2, seriously those hats and chests make bundles!
    • And of course, the lottery the biggest of them all.

If HoN added something similar to WOW, or FIFA13, where you could use your coins to buy a mystery card (guaranteed not to be anything you only own but with a slim chance of getting some amazing skin only available in the random packs with a 1% win chance) a lot of players would be really willing to spend gold/silver coins to get something most people don't have.
    The skins really should represent an achievement. When a player see's an amazing skin they should think "wow, that player is pro to earn that. I really want it myself".
    /two cents.
    This is by no means a polished idea but I believe with the help of this community, together we could shape this into something special which could add some substance to the game outside of the gameplay.

A few questions and criticisms I have already answered:
    Question 1:
    Your last two points seem completely contradictory though. You talk about adding a lottery system to get cool skins, then state that skins should represent in-game achievement, or skill level.

My Answer:
    You're right, they are contradictory.
    Why not both? I think you could spend some of your XP or whatever earned on the possibility of buying a random skin with the slight chance of earning something equivalent to the Pheonix mount in wow etc. Or similar to the eggs they have in WoW. Seriously Blizzard REALLY utilises the whole random aspect really well and it PROVES to be very addictive for players.
    Keep in mind I'm just making this as I go along. I'd love to have some input, but keep in mind I'm just making it up as I go along.

Question 2:
    i'm not sure how good of an idea achievements would be where it requires you to play certain heroes. When it's already hard enough to get people playing heroes they know properly, imagine having someone on your team who has no idea just insta-picking draconis hoping he can get carried to the achievement etc. The rune/rax ones are good though, would encourage alot less 'cc15' gameplay
    i'm not sure how good of an idea achievements would be where it requires you to play certain heroes. When it's already hard enough to get people playing heroes they know properly, imagine having someone on your team who has no idea just insta-picking draconis hoping he can get carried to the achievement etc. The rune/rax ones are good though, would encourage alot less 'cc15' gameplay

My Answer:

Well hopefully it gets him to try more heroes and then he will a) get a better understanding of the hero and b) try something different which he might enjoy!
    I think that achievement has more pros than cons, and on the whole would be beneficial to teaching people about the game and encouraging trying out new heroes.
    Keep in mind I just made these up on the spot, and am open to input. The only achievements I think that would be detrimental to the games would be achievements like:

• Ward 10 times in a game. (People will just spam wards)
    • Get immortal as ________. (Encourages KSing).
    • Get X assists in one game.
    • etc.

These are the sort of achievements which don't encourage teamwork but instead divert what should be the players main objective (winning the game) to achievement hunting. Achievements should be something that you should be rewarded for doing in the game.
    Like I said, this is just a raw idea I made up on the spot

Reserved.

Here is a list of achievements you guys can suggest as well, just make sure they don't encourage anything that will change the gameplay (like immortal, stealing kongor tokens etc.)

1. Win 5 games in a row in matchmaking
    2. Win 5 games in a row in makingmaking with at least 1500MMR
    3. Win 5 games in a row in matchmaking with at least 1600MMR
    4. Play 1000 games
    5. Reach 1600MMR
    6. Reach 1720MMR
    7. etc.

Open to suggestions and criticism, be gentle though

Edit 1: Shameless plug to a great thriving community on http://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofnewerth/ which is totally worth checking out because quite a few S2 staff lurk around as well as good hearted community.

Edit 2: Straight off the bat we have a troll n10` who offers no constructive criticism. Like I said before guys, if you don't like it that is fine just please say why!

Edit 3: I see a lot of people who seem to be interested in offering achievements for frequent warding. As much as I love having the enemy teams and rune spots lit up like Christmas, I just don't think it would be a good idea due to the possibility of being abused. For example, let's say that someone is spending all their time warding when we really should be ganking or alternatively they ward in the well to push for the achievement when they give up on the game or go AFK.
    Last edited by Spamsational; 04-22-2013 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Shameless Plug for /r/heroesofnewerth

really hated this idea when you posted it on reddit and I still hate it. I'm going to be blunt and honest if this happens I'll be leaving the game. Would be the final straw for me. I adore the gameplay of hon but I'm not going to stick around and watch it get worse and worse.

Isn't the Reward System is the same as Achievements?

Quote Originally Posted by n10` View Post
    really hated this idea when you posted it on reddit and I still hate it. I'm going to be blunt and honest if this happens I'll be leaving the game. Would be the final straw for me. I adore the gameplay of hon but I'm not going to stick around and watch it get worse and worse.
    how is this making it worst ? i am confused.
    also i made the thread WOOO HOOO

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    You did not give a single reason why.. You can just say you hate it without any reason.

Also I like the idea even though I think the rewards should be like account icons and little bit of coins.

Wonderfully constructive feedback and explanation.

Join date March 2013, must be a long-time valued community member.
    Last edited by DannyDaGreat; 04-21-2013 at 11:30 PM.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Good argument, I'm sure many people can see your side of things with your well thought out points and reasoning.

All sarcasm aside, I think the idea is good. Obviously need some more objectives, but I think as long as the objectives don't cause people to play the game in a manner that ruins it (KSing, GPM hogging, stupid things like getting 5 kills with a courier, etc.) this could be good and add that element of progression to the game that many people want (aside from climbing the MMR ladder, of course.)

I can say I hate it without explaining my reason. I'm entitled to my opinion an I'm entitled to stop playing the game if anything similar to this is implemented. I'm sorry you probably live in nazi germany and aren't allowed to have opinions but this is America.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    I can say I hate it without explaining my reason. I'm entitled to my opinion an I'm entitled to stop playing the game if anything similar to this is implemented. I'm sorry you probably live in nazi germany and aren't allowed to have opinions but this is America.
    I signed in just to reply to this. You are obviously 12, so ill explain something for you.

There is no reason to simply say you hate something without giving reason. If you gave reasons, maybe he could improve upon his idea? Constructive criticism can go a long way. All you do is make yourself look like an ignorant fool.

I think its a good idea to get people to try different things, and it could help expand peoples knowledge of the game. Warding runes isnt done very often in lower brackets, and it would be a good way to get people to start doing it more. Same with playing different heroes etc. All rewards could be made attainable by a learning process for lower bracket players, where as higher brackets can just keep doing what they do already.
    Work all day.

Rage all Night.

I think this is a great idea. It encourages players to be better players. Not in terms of skills but motivation and potentially reduce trolling. Also it can help teach newer players how to play. That being said, the achievements would definitely have different levels. So the lower achievements would be stuff like "Use a TP" or "last hit 10 creeps (not neutral)" and then it gets a bit tougher, like "gank another lane before 10 minutes"

Just to point out a few things.

1) You stated the "Gameplay" will get worse and worse (his suggestion for the reward/achievement system in its entirety is to encourage BETTER gameplay)
    2) If we like in "Nazi Germany" you are obviously the King of your world and everyone listens to what you say. People have opinions that disagree with your opinion so that makes them unable to have opinions? You are being a bit hypocritical. Just because someone agrees with a good idea doesnt make them "bad"

Now onto the actual idea.
    I think SOMETHING needs to be done to this game at the lower level. There NEEDS to be either an encouragement for people to play properly or a DISCOURAGEMENT for people who deliberately ruin the game. I am a fan of the carrot over the stick personally, and this seems like a reasonable solution.

I would also like to suggest that you could possibly add achievement groups. Like "Hard Support" might have "Have wards always up for 25 minutes" + "Kill 5 Enemy Wards" + "Have another player on your team with 400gpm+" This does not have to be in the same game but once you achieve all of them you unlock the combined achievement

I would further add that a player may be able to "highlight" 2 achievements to display on their account. So using the above example you can highlight "Hard Support" and then when a player mouses over you they will see those two achievements (and a quick summary). So if a player has the "Hard Support" achievement highlighted it lets other players know that they are able to play hard support. This can also be true for other roles, such as jungle.

Just my 2c

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by `Bronson View Post
    I think this is a great idea. It encourages players to be better players. Not in terms of skills but motivation and potentially reduce trolling. Also it can help teach newer players how to play. That being said, the achievements would definitely have different levels. So the lower achievements would be stuff like "Use a TP" or "last hit 10 creeps (not neutral)" and then it gets a bit tougher, like "gank another lane before 10 minutes"
    The main problem with your last one is making the game figure out if you have ganked someone else. Its hard to explain what i mean sadly, but i guess roughly how would the game know what lane is "yours". If your a jungle hero, then its gunna get messy. Its a solid idea, just harder to implement for that. A different idea might be a more simple one like "kill a hero before the X time"
    Work all day.

Rage all Night.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Meredori View Post
    Just to point out a few things.

1) You stated the "Gameplay" will get worse and worse (his suggestion for the reward/achievement system in its entirety is to encourage BETTER gameplay)
    2) If we like in "Nazi Germany" you are obviously the King of your world and everyone listens to what you say. People have opinions that disagree with your opinion so that makes them unable to have opinions? You are being a bit hypocritical. Just because someone agrees with a good idea doesnt make them "bad"

Now onto the actual idea.
    I think SOMETHING needs to be done to this game at the lower level. There NEEDS to be either an encouragement for people to play properly or a DISCOURAGEMENT for people who deliberately ruin the game. I am a fan of the carrot over the stick personally, and this seems like a reasonable solution.

I would also like to suggest that you could possibly add achievement groups. Like "Hard Support" might have "Have wards always up for 25 minutes" + "Kill 5 Enemy Wards" + "Have another player on your team with 400gpm+" This does not have to be in the same game but once you achieve all of them you unlock the combined achievement

I would further add that a player may be able to "highlight" 2 achievements to display on their account. So using the above example you can highlight "Hard Support" and then when a player mouses over you they will see those two achievements (and a quick summary). So if a player has the "Hard Support" achievement highlighted it lets other players know that they are able to play hard support. This can also be true for other roles, such as jungle.

Just my 2c
    Would the 25 minutes of wards always up have to be in one game? you could make it a little easier and say have something like "warded for a total of X minutes" instead of people going out and risk getting ganked while trying to get this.
    Work all day.

Rage all Night.

Quote Originally Posted by reddy View Post
    Would the 25 minutes of wards always up have to be in one game? you could make it a little easier and say have something like "warded for a total of X minutes" instead of people going out and risk getting ganked while trying to get this.
    I think in either iteration (at one time or over many games). It is better than "ward x times" as was mensioned it would just encourage ward spamming. Also achievements shouldnt be always gotten in any given game. Its worth the risk at times to get those harder achievements. "Ward for a total of 60 minutes" which is a rare case of a 60 minute game and vs counterwards and all that would really show a player as a Solid Dedicated support.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Meredori View Post
    I think in either iteration (at one time or over many games). It is better than "ward x times" as was mensioned it would just encourage ward spamming. Also achievements shouldnt be always gotten in any given game. Its worth the risk at times to get those harder achievements. "Ward for a total of 60 minutes" which is a rare case of a 60 minute game and vs counterwards and all that would really show a player as a Solid Dedicated support.
    I agree, having an arbitary number would just lead to ward spamming. The risk though, as you said a dedicated support will keep wards up, is that they will abandon teamfights/misplace wards just to keep the total time running.

Another thought occurs, is that people could just get a friend and make a 1 v 1, friend goes afk and they just ward and get any achievments that way without effort
    Work all day.

Rage all Night.

I don't like the idea but I didn't post my thoughts on it because just like you i didn't want to explain myself, SO I DIDN'T MAKE A POST, if you think the world is all about doing w/e the hell you want with no regard for anyone else you're an idiot.

Imagine if you made like a big project or something, spent ages working on it, and some guy came and posted.

Sucks, would never play it lmao.

yeah.

Not sure, to be honest... I think all of the "1600, 1700mmr" achievements could be replaced with either adding a stat for "Highest MMR" or giving out a hero icon/other vanity when you get over.

I'd like to discourage any achievements where you have to do something ingame, since it will affect gameplay.
    |̸̊̇͋̾̿̀͜҉̖̜̰̰̺̪̳̞̦͙̻̪́ͅ|̼̜̬̙​̼̰̳͈͐̏͒̇͌͂͌̋ͧ͂̈́͛͂ͧ͋ ̓͜|̸͎̱̝̦̤̋​̌ͩ́͆̏̃ͯͭ͌͋ͫ͛̇̌͑̚͠

Not even close, the reward system gives you coins for playing games and a doing a few things in the game. There is no documentation and specific reward for completing any preset and defined achievement beforehand.

Not sure, to be honest... I think all of the "1600, 1700mmr" achievements could be replaced with either adding a stat for "Highest MMR" or giving out a hero icon/other vanity when you get over.

I'd like to discourage any achievements where you have to do something ingame, since it will affect gameplay.
    That's exactly what it would mean, it would be silly to take achievements away from the player.

I agree, having an arbitary number would just lead to ward spamming. The risk though, as you said a dedicated support will keep wards up, is that they will abandon teamfights/misplace wards just to keep the total time running.

Another thought occurs, is that people could just get a friend and make a 1 v 1, friend goes afk and they just ward and get any achievments that way without effort
    The achievements would only be available in Matchmaking scenarios and I would not condone the inclusion of warding achievements because it may distract the actual gameplay. Already you get coins for warding more in matchmaking and unfortunately some people will abuse this by placing wards in the game when they think they have lost.