Thread: Increase Camera distance

View Poll Results: Which distance would you like to play on?

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1650

    28 19.58%
  • 1850

    63 44.06%
  • 2000

    12 8.39%
  • 2150

    15 10.49%
  • They should just unlock it

    25 17.48%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. #1
    Offline
    Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    1,499

    Question Increase Camera distance

    Hi!

    This issue has been bugging me for a while, and i'd like to see what others think of the issue.

    Our current camera distance is 1650. Looks like this.
    It's locked ingame. Can't be chenged unless you are in a practice game or spectating a game (pub games let you do that) - you can zoom out to 2150 if you spectate.

    Below, you can see the following distances: 1850,2000,2150.


    1650 (current)

    1850


    2000


    2150



    Comparing to the current 1650, and considering that monitors are not 15" anymore, I think it's time to increase the value.

    Should they raise it? And if so, to which one?

  2. #2
    I voted for 1850. It shouldn't be too much of a change, but imho it is somewhat weird to be restricted like that (personally i hate when i go from my notebook to my table pc and everything is suddenly so big).
    Haven't you missed that Halloween was in Newerth?

  3. #3
    It's good that someone finally brought this up. I would like to see someone from S2 address the issue.

    Could it somehow be limited in the actual game so that its not possible to simply add an additional option?

  4. #4
    Isnt it set at 1650 for a reason of balance and so on? like throwing a valk arrow or a devo hook. they are kinda skillshots in part because you cant see where your hero is a max range. also whil lasthitting you may not be able so see what your oponent is doing just those 100range further down the road (unless minimap). so changing this will have larger consequences than just the cosmetic ones.
    however, i personally feel that restricting the information a player derives threw the screen is usually a bad thing. so any bit of "more" info is welcome. 1850 it ist for me :-). otherwise the hero feels so small. i would not however object against 2150. one can always zoom in anyways.

  5. #5
    Offline
    Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,837
    use your minimap = problem solved
    its balanced for this zoom setting

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Anakron View Post
    Isnt it set at 1650 for a reason of balance and so on? like throwing a valk arrow or a devo hook. they are kinda skillshots in part because you cant see where your hero is a max range. also whil lasthitting you may not be able so see what your oponent is doing just those 100range further down the road (unless minimap). so changing this will have larger consequences than just the cosmetic ones.
    however, i personally feel that restricting the information a player derives threw the screen is usually a bad thing. so any bit of "more" info is welcome. 1850 it ist for me :-). otherwise the hero feels so small. i would not however object against 2150. one can always zoom in anyways.
    Wow I'm amazed. The first paragraph u wrote is exactly why there is absolutely zero reason to implement a higher range... It would just make the game easier and require less brain activity (less focus needed on the Minimap for example).

    The second paragraph is surely your opinion and while I don't agree with it (more info is usually a good thing, I am one of those that would like Mana cost on the bars like Dota2. But when spells and abilities has a maxrange there is just no reason at all to change this setting. Like u said, Valk and Devo hooks would have to be on a stunned target or from fog in max range.

    "i would not however object against 2150. one can always zoom in anyways."... I am sorry but this is probably the dumbest I've seen yet on these forums, who would ever restrict their chances to win in a competitive game, dafuq dude? It's like breaking ur arm intentionally before a basketball match or something O.o
    If you had to room with another gamer, who would it be and why?
    Insania; I like to keep my enemies close (I suspect he’s a terrorist).

    -NoobG

  7. #7
    It's completely unfair that you're limited to 1650 and all it does is encourage people to use google for an infamous workaround for it, where as if it was 1850 no one would bother.

    Even Dota 2 has more zoom out so there is really no reason left to why s2 has been so strict to keep the zoom at 1650 and anyone who thinks otherwise is irrational.

    For that, 1850 gets my vote, but honestly 1750 would be fine as it would not change much and favor big screens more.

    /edit
    Last edited by HyperXewl; 04-24-2013 at 11:14 AM.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by HyperXewl View Post
    It's completely unfair that you're limited to 1650 and all it does is encourage people to use google for an infamous workaround for it, where as if it was 1850 no one would bother.
    I know alot of people doing this. Its kinda annoying for me to spectate them as they are clicking/fighting off the screen, where I cant see the action :<

  9. #9
    Offline
    Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    @ PC
    Posts
    1,516
    I guess there is NO REASON to keep a lock on camera. Fog is just enough.
    It should be nice to adjust camera as you like it: someone could prefer zoom in for better click accuracy, someone else could use zoom out for better global view.
    Now you must move your vision by mouse continuously all around like a mad man to keep your neighbors under control.
    Binding camera zoom to mousewheel would allow to do the same with a simple finger scroll.

    Locking the camera is absolutely against logic. Same as if mouse sensitivity or framerate, screen resolution or CPU clock was locked for games purposes.

  10. #10
    Offline
    Account Icon
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    sweden,Vara
    Posts
    313
    Haha, arnoid just wanted to show off his computer now when he finally can max the game :P (voted for 1850)
    "i might have surrounded a cow with TNT and blown it up" - SquishyKitty

  11. #11
    Offline
    Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    537
    Quote Originally Posted by HyperXewl View Post
    It's completely unfair that you're limited to 1650 and all it does is encourage people to use google for an infamous workaround for it, where as if it was 1850 no one would bother.

    Even Dota 2 has more zoom out so there is really no reason left to why s2 has been so strict to keep the zoom at 1650 and anyone who thinks otherwise is irrational.

    For that, 1850 gets my vote, but honestly 1750 would be fine as it would not change much and favor big screens more.

    /edit
    I agree,100/150 would do
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) but at what cost?!

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Gringoire View Post
    I guess there is NO REASON to keep a lock on camera. Fog is just enough.
    It should be nice to adjust camera as you like it: someone could prefer zoom in for better click accuracy, someone else could use zoom out for better global view.
    Now you must move your vision by mouse continuously all around like a mad man to keep your neighbors under control.
    Binding camera zoom to mousewheel would allow to do the same with a simple finger scroll.

    Locking the camera is absolutely against logic. Same as if mouse sensitivity or framerate, screen resolution or CPU clock was locked for games purposes.
    This. I've never understood the zoom distance limitation when the fog distance seems sufficient enough. Now, yes if you are getting a devo hook thrown to you from clearvision it will make it easier to dodge because you will be aware of it coming sooner but the best skill shots are done through fog or through a setup. Plus it could easily be setup where the reward for hitting from distance would be higher to adjust for the increased difficulty.

  13. #13
    @Encaitor

    yes i agree with you insofar that changing the zoomrange would require re-balancing some skills.
    no i disagree that a zooming option would be stupid. imagine zooming out to 20k you would not be able to click anything. imagine zooming to 0. you would see nothing. so obviously at some point between 0 and infinity exists the perfect balance between vision and accuracy.( there is no logical thought that occurs to me that this curve would not be continuous and monoton so i assume only one point for any given situation is perfect).
    so the question if 1650 or 1850 or 2150 is closest to this ideal is completely valid. i have legitimately pointed out that i feel 1650 is to low. also just zooming out doesnt reduce fog of war. so maybe zooming to 2150 might not give you a lot of vision at all and you zoom in because you can click faster and with more accuracy. at least this would make it possible to test out what zoomrange is most helpful. (i am of course aware that wards and such can decrease fog of war and therefore help with higher zooms, so at some points you will gain a benefit from zooming out, while at other you loose it. but why not croudsource the search for the perfect zoomrange? find out at what range people play mostly and adjust it after that, or leave it open)


    @skylinx: i know that a minimap has been standard issue at least since warcraft times, but that doesnt mean it´s the summit of hud evolution. maybe some change away from it might be nice? i know im biased concerning that accursed little map, i would by far prefer it as a seethrough rough presentation in the middle of my screen instead of somewhere off in the distance. but thats a different topic....

  14. #14
    Offline
    Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Örebro, Sweden.
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Skylinx View Post
    use your minimap = problem solved
    its balanced for this zoom setting
    ^THIS. I cant see any f****** reason to change this. If you dont like it go play dota2. KTHXBYE.

  15. #15
    I am certainly in favor of any increase. I think that the Fog of War does the job of obscuring your view, and you shouldn't be further limited by what fits in your screen. I really dislike constantly having to move my mouse to the corner of my screen so that I can scroll and see exactly what an enemy is doing, then having to press C to get back to my hero, then scrolling again. Obviously it's totally manageable the way it is, but I would definitely enjoy the game more if my view was solely limited by the Fog of War over the corners of my screen.

  16. #16
    Let me ****ing zoom out.

  17. #17
    I'd like to bump this thread because the suggestion is pretty good and it's received a lot of positive feedback so far.


  18. #18
    I Would also love to see this considered to be increased slightly, Let the Fog of War be the limiting factor. It sucks playing this game across 3 screens looks terrible
    Teh Powah.

  19. #19
    Another weird aspect is that it really depends on where you are on the map. If you are in a horizontal lane (say Hellbourne between T1 and T2), you can see farther due to the aspect ration of widescreen and the GUI. Of course that would make a vertical gank easier. Vice versa for a vertical lane. I find it a little too restricted in the vertical, and would like to see a slight adjustment.

  20. #20
    Offline
    Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    @ PC
    Posts
    1,516
    Every modification to camera distance will leave someone unsatisfied.
    Unlock it so everyone will adjust it as he prefers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •