Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread. Thread: My thoughts on the Hon Tour Grand Finals

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1
    S2 Staff Member S2 Games Staff

My thoughts on the Hon Tour Grand Finals

Please visit Maliken's official statement regarding these events here:
    https://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/s...-Finals-amp-Us

First and foremost, congratulations to Stay Green on becoming the Hon Tour Season 1 Champions! You guys have come so far as a team and the fact that you haven’t dropped a game on LAN is insanely impressive.

Secondly, I wanted to apologize to you guys, the fans, for the poor presentation of the HoN Tour finals. I am just as disappointed as you guys to come this far just to drop the ball at the finish line. Just like you, we went into the event with incredibly high expectations and to be blunt, we did not hit those expectations. We promised great production value and we fell short on that promise and for that I am sorry.

Moving forward, there are many things that we have learned from this event and here are some things that we plan on doing to fix them.

• Looking into hiring an outside production team. As Maliken stated in the other thread, live events are not our specialty and we need to start exploring other options for providing our players with great events.
    • Hiring a professional Emcee.
    • Having a live audience and giving our fans the opportunity to celebrate the events with us. While we accomplished our goals of giving our players a life-changing experience and celebrating their months of hard work, not giving our fans and their fans an opportunity to support all of us in person was a mistake.
    • Having more content available to the fans. Hiring an outside team will give us more time to prepare great interviews, hype videos, news posts, and more overall content for the event. Having more content will also allow us to fill any dead time in between series/matches.

The past six months have been some of the best Heroes of Newerth that we have ever seen. We got constant and consistent games, a brand new honcast studio, we went through two meta changes, and witnessed the formation of a new powerhouse team that would eventually take the season 1 title. While the Grand Finals event may have left you feeling angry or disappointed, lets not forget the great things that the HoN Tour season gave us. We are constantly learning and adapting to make sure that we provide our fans with the greatest experience possible and we look forward to proving that to you.

You deserve better and we will do better.

Thank you,
    Sam “Milkfat” Braithwaite
    Last edited by Fielding; 04-20-2013 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Inserting Reference To Official Statement

S2 Games: Dedicated employees serving dedicated gamers. Continuous development. Never-ending improvement.
    -----------------------------

Account Icon
    thanks for this post. I'm glad to see S2 has concrete ideas for improvement.

First post today that meets my expectations. But i still think something has to happen in the near future, to show us, the community, that u can do better. We cant wait till the next HonTour Finals to see if things will change. Even tho i understand that it will take some time. Please dont wait too long to prove u guys can do better.

You don't REALLY need a outside production team to set up a stream though..

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty_Skull View Post
    thanks for this post. I'm glad to see S2 has concrete ideas for improvement.
    +1, i have nothing else to add for now.

Compare HoN with other moba games at the HoN Rosetta Stone
    Want to make your own HoN DVD? Click here

It's a start, thanks.

same old

Quote Originally Posted by Milkfat View Post

• Looking into hiring an outside production team. As Maliken stated in the other thread, live events are not our specialty and we need to start exploring other options for providing our players with great events.
    • Hiring a professional Emcee.
    • Having a live audience and giving our fans the opportunity to celebrate the events with us. While we accomplished our goals of giving our players a life-changing experience and celebrating their months of hard work, not giving our fans and their fans an opportunity to support all of us in person was a mistake.
    • Having more content available to the fans. Hiring an outside team will give us more time to prepare great interviews, hype videos, news posts, and more overall content for the event. Having more content will also allow us to fill any dead time in between series/matches.

all of this, please. thank you and good day .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QienIRQUOm8
    ^VIVA BRAZIIIL^
    More than 50 Guides on my Youtube-Channel
    www.youtube.com/Raawrrish
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2D8XtleNxk
    ^10 Devs clashing in Midwars ^

Good read, but NAH.

You've failed too many times in a row to show you're capable of learning ANYTHING from past mistakes in lan. I'll believe you when your next lan doesn't fail again, thanks.

Please, this is what you need to do, just like you wrote here. Hire some real professionals and make a totally awesome event!

Don't let us down again S2, please.

Just read this thread:

http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/commen...ing_to_dota_2/

It's just astonishing how many players S2 have lost in their quest to milk the **** out of their playerbase's wallets.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkfat View Post
    You deserve better and we will do better.
    You deserve to be fired.

You have embarrassed S2 monumentally and have cheapened the hard work people have put in at that company. Not only have your fans been dissapointed time and time again, but this failiure has seen light in other gaming communities.

Throughout the course of Hon's history this has been repeated time and time again. Its like an abusive relationship between a couple, where one always says "baby ill do better, I never meant to hurt you."

You guys realize the players you do have left and havent left for dota or lol are your true fans and true customers right? You do not have many more chances, nor do you have much time. Everyday dota's playerbase continues to grow, while hon's playerbase is stagnant and at worst declining everyday.

I love this game more than you can imagine and want nothing more than to see this game grow and grow, but you are making it very hard to defend you guys.

Events like these are an investment for game companies like S2 to grow, flourish and bring their game to the limelight. Nearly a quarter million dollars (rough guesstimate) was wasted because of your failiure and incompetence. Others have been let go for much less as we have known (KO, Xander, and Phil to name a few.) I am shocked you still have your job after this.
    Last edited by TurtleBoats; 04-19-2013 at 09:48 PM.

Well milkfat your embarrassing person,I seriously dont know why Maliken trust you so much,letting people work on s2 because they are your friends etc...
    This game opportunities to achive somthing and become bigger disappeard,you cant even make good lan events ,s2 saw how dreamhack working and setuping
    and after all that s2 cant even make decent lan event for the biggest tournament of the year(and the only one),horrible schedule for the viewers aswell.
    this company shouldnt let some player that failed in lol and had no exprience in competitive scene making his calls.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHVhTh-Nmuo
    peace

Even the studio formed of students can do better casts than this ****.
    Last edited by Fred_HUN; 04-19-2013 at 10:00 PM.
    Clan Blame The Team!

Completely unacceptable, this was no simple mistake but a total lack of care of this event. Like how the hell can you not realize the lights were complete crap, were you guys like "dam we can't see ****, lets just hope the viewers can though".

So since noone is asking

wat about dogkaiser
    HoN competetive forums, were Swindle is a greater esport person then Boxer or White-Ra and people take a 28 year old who still has no job and all he does is play HoN all day everyday and live off his girlfriend, as someone to go crazy about

guess who

This is nice, but the disappointing part of the event wasn't lack of skill on the productions part. It was lack of preparation and effort. No, way in hell you tested your stream before you went live and didn't notice the audio sync problems, the shitty wrinkled back drop, and the dark cellar you were casting from. Seemed more like you guys were on vacation and the tournament was a side thought. You probably partied the night before woke up unrolled your shitty banner hung it up, left the lightning in the boxes cause you didn't have time and handed aceJR a mic and said "be entertaining, while we get this set up"

The worse part is its a mar on the first season of HoN tour which as a whole was great and provided a lot of good content daily. Unfortunately you dropped the ball from what appeared to be lack of effort from the outside looking in.
    Last edited by Gilliath; 04-19-2013 at 10:31 PM.

Speechless, what has been said by Breaky in the other thread or Milkfat here, just doesn't cut it for me at all. But there ain't much for us to do, they simply won't change! These things has happened way too many times for me to think it will change (hopefully it will)

I love HoN, but all these mistakes and the cherry on top, HonTour grand finals, makes me want to take a long break from this game, and perhaps give other games a shot.. Sadly!

My HoN heart is bleeding right now. So disappointed :-(

Mostly I am afraid that HoN's competitive growth will vanish again, just as it did earlier.

Here is what I hope will happen in the near future;

- HonTour Season 2 will be announced within the next month and without too much of a pause.

- The balance patch will be well worth it.

- DreamHack hype

Basically what you're saying is Maliken needs to be less cheap.