Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread. Thread: HoN League System Discussion

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1

HoN League System Discussion

This league system is intended to reward players for activity and skill. It would also aim to reduce smurfing by incentivise playing on your main account. It is also worth noting that this league system would be in addition to other smurf-prevention methods we're looking into implementing in our back-end systems.

We're not trying to provide a fully fleshed-out system to discuss, but give you all a few details to drive the discussion of building a League/Ladder system for HoN:

• Continued use of MMR as a back-end matching system: Changing our matching system, while having solid benefits, is not something feasible in a reasonable amount of time. However, slightly tweaking the matching algorithm to allow for better matching is a possibility.
    • Have a league system (copper/silver/gold-type system), in which brackets are based off of MMR and points are earned within each each bracket to rank players with others in the same bracket.
    • An upper echelon system for top-end players that requires activity plus a certain minimum MMR requirement to maintain.
    • Prestige rewards for excelling within a league and advancing into higher leagues.
    • Seasons within the league system to reward players of certain ranks when a season ends and give players a fresh beginning whenever the seasons change.

We welcome your thoughts and suggestions regarding the above offerings, and look forward to seeing these possible improvements come into play.
    Last edited by Buro; 04-10-2013 at 06:07 PM.

S2 Games: Dedicated employees serving dedicated gamers. Continuous development. Never-ending improvement.
    -----------------------------

I'm interested to see how this works, sounds great on paper. Great work.

Account Icon
    Something I can mention right now is it must be somehow rewarding to play a longer game. Having spent over an hour (longest game for me is 1h43min) to win a game, gain 5mmr and then lose it on a 15min match immediately after does not really feel fair or fun at all.

Maybe if the longer a game goes, the more MMR you win, would make it fair, but how would it be for the enemy team? Should they lose more the longer game was? If it's going bad for a team early on, they might feel they should concede early then, so they won't lose even more MMR for trying.

Sounds good. How about players need a certain amount of games played before joining league matches for a decrease in smurfing

Having a League System is an awesome idea specially there is seasons. I'm pro for this idea if there is a seasonal based system or some kind of afk in-system penalty. One of the problems in the current MMR system is that players can have one high mmr account and then have it stay there. There is no way for the player drop from the top % of accounts because there is no such penalty. Why I like the idea of seasons? After playing HoN for 3.5+ years, I have seen the skill level of many players I played with often go up and down. The skill level is relative to all other HoN players. Things like balance changes, new heroes, and new strategies are going to come. Part of the player's skill should account towards the adaptive game play. The relative skill level between players does change over time because of those changes in HoN.
    Also having a league idea may introduce tournaments restricted to certain leagues which can be exciting.

its really hard to tell how it would work out without knowing more about league system

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked_ View Post
    Sounds good. How about players need a certain amount of games played before joining league matches for a decrease in smurfing
    and this

Havein a League System would improve the will to play hon more often... aswell as having more capabilities to enjoy the game. implementing the midwars was an awesome idea... maybe the League System should also have a kind a 5on5...2on2...1on1 like back in the days with CS ;D
    for sure 1on1 (on a maybe recreated map) would also bring a new game feeling with it.

Building the League System like the ESL.EU with ladders... divisions(ofc with a rating system belonging to the behavior of the opponent, very important issue in HON) would be the best solution i guess

If this league system is introduced in the same way it works with SC2, it would be awesome. But if not, I forsee more smurfs than ever.
    Give the system some "training" matches to be placed (same as the New Player bonus being used at the moment(+20/-20).
    Just one question though...
    Will this influence Mid Wars?

Quote Originally Posted by TwoKayPass View Post
    Something I can mention right now is it must be somehow rewarding to play a longer game. Having spent over an hour (longest game for me is 1h43min) to win a game, gain 5mmr and then lose it on a 15min match immediately after does not really feel fair or fun at all.

Maybe if the longer a game goes, the more MMR you win, would make it fair, but how would it be for the enemy team? Should they lose more the longer game was? If it's going bad for a team early on, they might feel they should concede early then, so they won't lose even more MMR for trying.
    Disagreed.
    People concede WAY TOO EARLY in pub games, when it could have been won by some patience and turtling.
    According to your logic they should even loose less MMR the longer they try. "Tryhard" is so negative nowadays but it's actually a good thing: Try hard - succeed or fail - improve by your mistakes - win mmr or experience if you loose. If people concede at 15 mins coz one hero in the enemy team has a 5-0 streak is simply stupid and shoudlnt be rewarded by loosing less mmr. They gain no experience by CC'ing early and will not improve ever.

I like the idea of a league system but please dont remove the option to drop out of your league if you lose, like Riot did.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    It sounds interesting. Would this be similar to the SC2 League system? There definitely needs to be something besides MMR to judge a player's skill off of, and I think separating based on activity and rating is a large step in the right direction.
    O little town in U.S.A, your time has come to see
    There's nothing you believe you want
    But where were you when it all came down on me?
    Did you call me now?

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Buro and S2 team,

I commend you guys for actually listening to the community on many of the changes they are asking for. Truly truly do. I am awe inspired at how far you guys have come since I was in closed beta.

With that said, why change whats not broken? By that I mean the mmr system and the potential for leagues. People are claiming that there are too many smurfs, leavers, and "Bad players" preventing them from moving higher up in mmr. This is their main outcry, they hate losing, ergo, they hate losing mmr.

Smurfs, leavers, griefers (albeit all of them being pesky problems) are not the sole reason as to why a person is where they are on the mmr scale.

Once you introduce these leagues or whatever, people will find a way to find a scapegoat for their problems as to why they cant win or cant move up in leagues. People, and sorry to say, bad players, will never realize they are bad. They will always find a way to blame and point the finger as to why they arent moving up in mmr; when the sole contributing factor is that they are the reason.

So no, I do not think you should change the matchmaking system or make leagues. People will only find a way to complain later. You guys have been using this system since hon's inception. It works, people just need a reason to believe they are better than what they actually are.

S2 staff, you have a daunting task pleasing all of us fans. As a player since closed beta, leagues or some rollin stat thing you mentioned will not fix any problems. People will only complain and complain later on. Just improve whats already there, not revamping the whole system.

While I have not agreed with every change you have made in this game, I love this game to no end. I know you guys are committed to making this game even better (if thats even possible.)

So thank you for opening up and being transparent as possible with your playerbase. I look forward to whatever you guys do.

-Turtleboats

This is quite possibly the best news for HoN... giving upcoming players an official goal besides hontour. I like it.

Also, in regards to changing the current matchmaking system;

Please read this s2! http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/sh...ts-Matchmaking
    Last edited by Macefire; 04-10-2013 at 08:38 PM.
    Prophet for profit. BGOD

I like the idea of having a league system like LoL. I liked LoL's league system with ranked, but hated their gameplay. If HoN had this type of league system, I think it'd attract more people to the game

this would be so epic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TurtleBoats View Post
    Buro and S2 team,

I commend you guys for actually listening to the community on many of the changes they are asking for. Truly truly do. I am awe inspired at how far you guys have come since I was in closed beta.

With that said, why change whats not broken? By that I mean the mmr system and the potential for leagues. People are claiming that there are too many smurfs, leavers, and "Bad players" preventing them from moving higher up in mmr. This is their main outcry, they hate losing, ergo, they hate losing mmr.

Smurfs, leavers, griefers (albeit all of them being pesky problems) are not the sole reason as to why a person is where they are on the mmr scale.

Once you introduce these leagues or whatever, people will find a way to find a scapegoat for their problems as to why they cant win or cant move up in leagues. People, and sorry to say, bad players, will never realize they are bad. They will always find a way to blame and point the finger as to why they arent moving up in mmr; when the sole contributing factor is that they are the reason.

So no, I do not think you should change the matchmaking system or make leagues. People will only find a way to complain later. You guys have been using this system since hon's inception. It works, people just need a reason to believe they are better than what they actually are.

S2 staff, you have a daunting task pleasing all of us fans. As a player since closed beta, leagues or some rollin stat thing you mentioned will not fix any problems. People will only complain and complain later on. Just improve whats already there, not revamping the whole system.

While I have not agreed with every change you have made in this game, I love this game to no end. I know you guys are committed to making this game even better (if thats even possible.)

So thank you for opening up and being transparent as possible with your playerbase. I look forward to whatever you guys do.

-Turtleboats
    People always complain about new stuff. Do not matter if it's a new facebook layout or if it's raining outside. someone is always going to find something to complain about.... Not sure why anything of the league system have to do with bad players? sure there are some of the players that aren't as great as others, but why would that matter? and most of the lower rated people know they are not as good as a 1900 player if they are at 1500 rating..? this do not even have anything to do with the league system at all. What would be the difference between not moving up in mmr as would been not moving up in leagues? it's the same thing? unless league system have a 5v5 league where you are required to join as 5 people. Maybe the league system will be different from the MMR, more serious and therefore let more people being able to climb the ladder.

Sounds great, and possibly add a X games required on new accounts before they qualify for leagues?
    Graphic/Web Designer and Designer of Free Custom Account Icons (CAI) and Custom Backgrounds

Click the pic for my mashup thread of HoN and other characters from games/movies/shows
    Click here for my Hero morph thread (merging 1 or more heroes together)

Click here for my Deviantart Profile

https://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/s...in-Matchmaking

I don't know if my thread had anything to do with it or if it was ignored but this is essentially what I was getting at.

Would love something like this implemented into the game!!
    And while we're at it cold it possibly add something to the leveling system?

Gushing with so much S2 pride atm.

***STICKY THIS THREAD***