Thread: Bye Team: The Truth about coL FF

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Bye Team: The Truth about coL FF

Hello, this is Bye Team bringing you the truth about col FF.

We are writing this to try preventing something like this to happen again, a team should not be able to be above the rules just because their sponsors are hosting the tournament.

They told us Riser would be an hour late because he thought it was going to be played 1 hour later. We didn't want to wait that long and we wouldn't say no to a free win so we took the forfeit win (after asking if we actually could do that) and then left. Of course we got trash-talked by the players of col, they said things like: "see you in loser bracket" (Guess they didn't know how their own tournament was built) and also Moon banning us from his stream. After we left and one of our players left to attend to something else Franzzii whispered me that he wanted to talk on Skype about this and said he might have an offer for us. Peter himself didn't really have anything to offer and the talk with him didn't do much. When we did not want to play the game he called Jason Bass (CEO of Complexity) into the call.

He was sounding rather upset and told us that a forfeit wouldn't be allowed. He was trying to figure out why we wanted the forfeit win which was pretty obvious (free money, advancing without any effort). After trying to convince us to play didn't work he told us that he would pay us the same amount as the prize-money just to play the game, we also said no to that. The call was ended and a few hours later he told us we HAD to play because Creative wouldn't allow a forfeit. We were told to pick a time before Monday which wasn't an option for us at first. With some sacrifices made we told them that if we had to play we would do it at 7 PM (CET). The next day we sent an email to Sprangler, one of the admins from CEVO. This is what he replied:

As you can see he told us that we didn't have to reschedule the game. So we went on to tell Jason Bass about that.

As you can see Jason told us we HAD to play otherwise we would be the team to suffer a forfeit.
    Later, when Jason Bass had talked to Sprangler this was the last email we received from Sprangler:

(The captain had not been the one making the "agreement" or the one talking to CEVO in the first 2 emails, therefore the line:" I look forward to azh's personal response...")
    As you can see in the email they need a confirmation from the captain to CEVO about the rescheduling (Which the captain didn't confirm but they rescheduled anyway).

This is an email sent by our captain to CEVO explaining the situation and also saying that we haven't agreed to anything, yet. (Keep in mind that this "agreement" only was made because Jason Bass told us we had to play.)

Jason Bass replied with this:

So, here we are. Jason Bass telling us that the rules were only set for the qualifiers, if there are special rules for the final event it should be said that in the rules which it didn't. He also mention that no game will be a forfeit, as I mentioned earlier we weren't even sure we could play on Sunday and that we would have to make a lot of sacrifices just to be there in case we HAD to play. I also find it funny that in case we wouldn't be able to play, we would be the ones suffering a forfeit. Not col who showed up late for the tournament in the first place.

The next thing we know, the match is rescheduled without our approval.

I can understand that col wants to play in their own tournament but if they can't even show up on time for their own tournament I think a forfeit is what they have to take. But since col is one of the top teams they get special treatment.

TL;DR: col didn't show up on time, they contacted Jason Bass(CEO of col), we talked to him on Skype and he told us forfeit was not a option. Still he tried to bribe us when we did not want to play. After we talked to admins of CEVO who told us we didn't have to reschedule he withdrew the bribe and forced us to play by talking to Creative admins. He also told us that the rules on the site was only for the qualifiers (=There was no rules posted for the final stage) and that at this stage forfeits would only be able to occur if a team refused to play or if they disbanded. So we pretty much had to play or forfeit, and because they did not want to make col look too bad they bribed us to play the game.

- [BYE]Myndir

This is shady, but you didnt really need to bring it to the forums.

Just keep it internal. coL are the biggest sponsor in hon. Their sponsors also provided this great sound blaster tournament. I'm not saying what they did was totally legit, but why would they want to run any other hon events if this is what people will remember about the event?
    Last edited by Gilly; 03-14-2013 at 01:42 PM.

More drama about col inc, gg wp

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post

Just keep it internal. coL are the biggest sponsor in hon. Their sponsors also provided this great sound blaster tournament. I'm not saying what they did was totally legit, but why would they want to run any other hon events if this is what people will remember about the event?
    This. It sucks this happens but some things don't need to be said.

I think what coL did was really stupid. Its fine that hes telling us how it really was.

0 respect for CoL in this, BYE is right, if they want to rulebook it is their choice, Jason Bass no place going around and forcing people to play games on times they did not agree to.

Why would you bring this to the forums? It's shady, but if it is what the tournament admins and sponsor decided it doesn't have much to do with S2 does it? You'd have better luck talking to Milkfat instead of causing forum drama which can never end well.

ROFL pathetic.

You lost fair and square. As we could see those games were painful to watch. You just wanted to get easy money. Its their tournament they can do whatever they want since its free. You can do whatever you want with your toys as well. You should have taken the bribe.

Account Icon
    Number 4, Privet Drive, Little Whinging, Surrey
    first of all, riser failed

but then really?
    Quote Originally Posted by Myndir View Post

After trying to convince us to play didn't work he told us that he would pay us the same amount as the prize-money just to play the game, we also said no to that.

- [BYE]Myndir
    why wouldn't you take that?
    it's free money
    and I doubt that you would have had any chance against the team in next round,

so this was your chance for a win-win situation and you failed
    (all you had to do is leave your pride behind)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacroHard
    You guys are a bunch of nerds

This makes the amount of complaining complexity did over the $1000 penalty last weekend pretty ****ing hillarious. They've earned an extra $8000 (potentially $12000) because their sponsors are shady ****s.

The coL fanboys above hating on BYE are ****ing hillarious. If sG or tdM was in the same situation would you really be making the same points? disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post

Why would you want another tournament run by this organization again? This most likely went over S2's head, with luck this will be the first and last time Creative/Jason Bass do anything like this again.
    Last edited by testmonitor; 03-14-2013 at 01:55 PM.

This was very unreasonable towards BYE team. I wonder if CoL's approach would've been the same if the team versing CoL had been a better known team.

I think he is right in bringing this out, he has full documentation and proof that they were forced to reschedule and pushed around by the $$ powerhouses.

The public has a right to know?

Thanks for posting this. I appreciate knowing the true story.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by showergel View Post
    Why would you bring this to the forums? It's shady, but if it is what the tournament admins and sponsor decided it doesn't have much to do with S2 does it? You'd have better luck talking to Milkfat instead of causing forum drama which can never end well.
    What does it have to do with Milkfat? I think the threads pure goal is to enlighten people about what happened and hopefully make it so that it never happens again. Show CoL organisation that a team wont just sit and watch quietly as they scam them of money/tournament placement and bends the rules. Tell the public and hurt CoL reputation as a payback for this shadyness. Simple as that.

And regarding the bad sportsmanship of BYE. Maybe they couldnt play on another time befoer sunday, who knows. It has nothing to do with this thread. They did a choice allowed by the tournament rules. The bad sportsmanshiċp behind that descision is a completly different topic.

this is what happens when nerds are in charge..

:nerdrage:

I'm sorry, even though the way it had to go is pretty shady, the fact that you, some unknown team were trying to take an easy forfeit win against a team you had no chances against in a real match, is even more pathetic. It is expected that people are reasonable and are willing to reschedule if the other team has a good reason for not being able to play. Riser_ would be what, 1 hour late? What a tragedy. I bet your life is so filled with important appointments that you can't even wait 1 hour for a game. Especially when you got stomped hard. Riser was afaik at work, which is the same as if you had to do homework or whatnot.

Did you honestly expect the sponsors to agree with that? I don't know, but it only makes sense that the finals are about who is the best team in a real match, not some match dodging ****-tier team trying to get an easy win.

And the fact that you didn't accept money seems pretty fake, who wouldn't accept money? You couldn't win in a real finals match anyways so what's the point in not accepting some money you wouldn't otherwise have a shot at.

Quote Originally Posted by priapos View Post
    And regarding the bad sportsmanship of BYE. Maybe they couldnt play on another time befoer sunday, who knows. It has nothing to do with this thread. They did a choice allowed by the tournament rules. The bad sportsmanshiċp behind that descision is a completly different topic.

This goes both ways. What if Riser_ only could play an hour later?

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Why am I not surprised. After the moment I heard "BYE was fine with rescheduling and they didn't take the free money" things started to look shady.

Also LoL at coL complaining about BYE's attitude in the games.

Account Icon
    We apologize for the admin's incorrect message to you but forfeits were not an option in the final bracket. The event has spent months determining the finalists and forfeits were not an option at this point (outside of the disbanding of Team Pencils).

Our compLexity squad was in the wrong when a player misunderstood the match time by 1 hour. There is no argument there. However, you trying to win via a technicality does not not mean the tournament organizers can't insist a finals bracket single elim match be played.

You were then offered (and later accepted) a sizable cash sum for your inconvenience and the fact you had to play a match despite coL.HoN's mistake about the original scheduled time. I'd call that more than fair.

If the HoN community wants to grow, having teams forfeit over a 1 hour time misunderstanding (in the single elim finals bracket of a multi-month tournament) is not the way to do it. Fans, sponsors and organizers want to see matches played and not forfeit wins.

I apologize for this situation and thank you for participating in the event. We hope the money you accepted in lieu of the inconvenience was acceptable and wish you the best in the future.

- Jason Lake, CEO, compLexity Gaming