Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread. Thread: Casual Mode Stats Changes

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1

Casual Mode Stats Changes

Hi everyone!

Regarding the Casual Mode changes, we have been keeping up with the reactions and apologize for the delayed response.

The stats changes to Casual Mode were made in order to lessen the frustration of new players trying to get into HoN. A large barrier to entry in our game is players getting judged by their stats before even starting a game. We recognize that this is a delicate topic because Casual Mode's intention is to appeal to two very different player-bases who many times are at odds with one another; players new to the game, and players who enjoy the different pacing and gameplay experience that Casual Mode provides.

We are in the process of re-implementing the Casual Mode Ladder on our website and looking at other potential changes to stats.

Thank you for your dedication to Heroes of Newerth and valued feedback!

S2 Games: Dedicated employees serving dedicated gamers. Continuous development. Never-ending improvement.
    -----------------------------

That's great, thank you for the response.

Can we get a word on the broken Referral system now?

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Thank you!

I'm glad to hear that. A few people that I know play exclusively Casual and a few felt like S2 was no longer catering for them and preferring to make another target audience happy at their expense. I'm sure the above mention initiative will be well received.

Dear Buro,

This is fantastic news. Thank you for listening to your loyal playerbase.

Sincerely,

Everyone I know
    tr.v. conned, con·ning, cons To swindle (a victim) by first winning his or her confidence; dupe.

Account Icon
    Maybe it's not up for discussion here, but why do you want CM to appeal to "new players"? I'm not sure either mode should be "pushed" or advertised to new players. Both games have their advantages and disadvantages. I think it's a mistake to try to cater an unbalanced mode to new players. The modes should be properly explained giving them a choice that they think will better fit their play style so they learn the game upfront in that mode. Plus you added bots for this very reason; newbies can play 40 games vs AI and then hop into a 1500 NM game and be just as ready as a 1500 CM game. No need to push them to CM to "continue learning" in a mode "catered to newbs", only to expect them to later make another big transition to a balanced mode where game play changes significantly.

I also think the names should change as I believe they are misleading. What makes it "normal"? Nothing really. At least not to a new player that is not familiar with historic dota. And CM is not "casual" for many players; as evidence by all the crying about stat removal.

I'd suggest "balanced", "competitive", or "classic" mode and "fun", "fast-paced" or "chaos" mode. It may not be a big deal to all of us long-time players, but I think a name that properly reflects the mode better would be significant to all of the new players 3.0 was aimed at. To be honest, I was a little stunned that S2 changed so much about CM, but didn't change the names of the modes to cater to newbies.

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #8
    Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilgame View Post
    Can we get a word on the broken Referral system now?
    We are working hard on getting that referral system up and running as soon as we can. We are in the final stages of testing our post 3.0 bugfixes with the referral system.

thank you

now ill buy gold again when i run out because there will be a reason to spend it

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Thanks you for a response.

Note: Maybe stats will be revealed passed a certain amount of level(ex:5-10) of when a player being verified.
    Hardcore player. Always improve his gameplay. Never rage against anyone than himself for being weak.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got this magic idea:
    Hide stats when matches lower than 100.
    WOW
    It worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero_MnotW View Post
    We are working hard on getting that referral system up and running as soon as we can. We are in the final stages of testing our post 3.0 bugfixes with the referral system.
    Thank you for the response.

Thumbs up CM Stat Reversion

My thanks S2 for giving us CASUAL players our competitive ladder back.

Thank you for listening to community response!

So you want casual mode to appeal more to new players (Not really sure why?) and your solution is to remove all stats.....

Now rather then looking at peoples stats, seeing if they are good or bad and figuring out what team make up makes the most sense because of that. I now just assume everyone is crap.

Oh wait, no I don't....I stopped playing HoN cause this patch shows you have no interest in keeping your legacy players.
    Verbal Abuse
    While we understand that this game will cause players to rage, please only report them if they are using inappropriate language in excessive

Quote Originally Posted by SB7 View Post
    Maybe it's not up for discussion here, but why do you want CM to appeal to "new players"? I'm not sure either mode should be "pushed" or advertised to new players. Both games have their advantages and disadvantages. I think it's a mistake to try to cater an unbalanced mode to new players. The modes should be properly explained giving them a choice that they think will better fit their play style so they learn the game upfront in that mode. Plus you added bots for this very reason; newbies can play 40 games vs AI and then hop into a 1500 NM game and be just as ready as a 1500 CM game. No need to push them to CM to "continue learning" in a mode "catered to newbs", only to expect them to later make another big transition to a balanced mode where game play changes significantly.I also think the names should change as I believe they are misleading. What makes it "normal"? Nothing really. At least not to a new player that is not familiar with historic dota. And CM is not "casual" for many players; as evidence by all the crying about stat removal.I'd suggest "balanced", "competitive", or "classic" mode and "fun", "fast-paced" or "chaos" mode. It may not be a big deal to all of us long-time players, but I think a name that properly reflects the mode better would be significant to all of the new players 3.0 was aimed at. To be honest, I was a little stunned that S2 changed so much about CM, but didn't change the names of the modes to cater to newbies.
    Good points. Personally I'd prefer if all stats were restored, the suggestion of having played 100 games also makes sense. If Kdr is such a 'sticky' issue kda would suffice.

Yeah it's better so new players can get into the game and learn how to play without someone yelling at him about his stats

Thanks Bros , Keep up the good work !

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    So some important stats might show up again? Sweet.

20.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #20
    Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    This is indeed a good compromise.

Stats are still hidden in game. This is to reduce flaming and prejudice before any action happens.

Stats (rating only) will be visible on the ladder so players "serious about casual" can still have something to strive towards and compare themselves to other top rated players.
    When I was younger I had an imaginary friend.
    Now, with internet gaming, I have hundreds of imaginary friends.

-American proverb