Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread. Thread: Avatar Shuffle #3

View Poll Results: Which do you want to see as an Alt Avatar?

Voters
1334. You may not vote on this poll
    The results in this poll are hidden.
  • Tempest

The results are hidden 0%
  • Alchemist

• Parasite

• Archmage

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1
    Account Icon

Welcome to Avatar Shuffle #3!

This contest gives the community a sneak peek at some of the awesome content that we're developing AND gives you a chance to influence when these new alt avatars come to the Goblin Shop!

Below, you will find four pieces of concept art for upcoming alt avatars! It is your job to vote for which one you want to see in the game. At the end of the week, we'll tally up the votes and announce the winning concept art, which will begin it's journey to become a part of HoN.

Once the winner is chosen, it is removed from the pool of concepts and a brand new one replaces it for the next vote. This means that there's always a new piece of art to check out and vote for. Plus, if you're a huge fan of something that doesn't win, it still has a good chance of being voted in next time! This way, all of the pieces of concept art you see here will eventually be added into the game for everyone to enjoy.

As you might have seen, we recently added the winner of Avatar Shuffle #2, Young Maliken, to the HoN Store! Be sure to go check out the new look for the evil king!

But now it's time for a new contest and here are your choices!

The first choice you have is one of the original pieces of artwork for Tempest. He's a lot more humanoid than the regular hero and has some really interesting touches that we feel would look great in game! If he is voted as the winner of this contest, this would become a new Tempest alt avatar.

The newest piece to the Shuffle is known only as the "Alchemist." We feel like he would bring a very unique look to thegame but don't have a specific hero in mind for him. If this is voted to be the winner, we will determine what heroit is used for in a special way.

The new piece to this edition of the Shuffle is this prickly looking fellow who reminds us of Parasite. We really liked his dark look and think that he would look fantastic in-game. Do you agree? If he's voted to be the winner, it will become a new Parasite alt avatar

And finally we have the Archmage. This is another piece of art that has been around for some time but we don't have a specific hero in mind for it! If this is voted to be the winner, we will determine what hero it is used for in a special way.

Which will you choose? Voting ends on December 19th so get in your choice and support your favorites! Hopefully, you'll get to see them in game soon.

Account Icon
    FIRST! Archmage!

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    About time we get that Tempest into the game

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    The alchemist would probably be associated with Midas. I like the Parasite one though!

Tempest

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    So this is how you get those weird alts. You have a random piece of art lying around and go "hmm, which hero shall we force into this shape?" rather than picking a hero first and then going through a design process to create a cool alternative for that specific hero. No offense, but it sounds pretty dumb to me.

Anyway, voted for tempest. He's clearly a Tempest design at least.

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #7
    Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Lhune View Post
    So this is how you get those weird alts. You have a random piece of art lying around and go "hmm, which hero shall we force into this shape?" rather than picking a hero first and then going through a design process to create a cool alternative for that specific hero. No offense, but it sounds pretty dumb to me.

Anyway, voted for tempest. He's clearly a Tempest design at least.
    It's not that simple. For example, the first Shuffle winner was Scorcher, who looked like this originally...

Not quite the same as the final product that went into the game is it? Once Pyromancer won the vote, we made changes to the concept to make him fit Pyro better. We gave him a staff and made his armor look more "mage-like" so he really fit in the hero concept.

The exact same process would be applied to Archmage or Alchemist, if they were to win.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Alchemist be a hero do it nao! 'nam sayin
    http://www.heroesofnewerth.com/heroesguide_view.php?gid=230040 Tanky Chronos guide for the lulz

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    xanderK: I understand that, but it's still working backwards. You have the design first and then alter the design to make it fit onto a hero, rather than picking the hero first and creating a suitable design for that. Forgive me for saying it but I've found S2's design team to become continually more lazy if you look at the sheer amount of alternatives and the quality of most of them. I understand there's time- and financial pressure but I genuinely believe that the majority of the community and your more faithful customers would be happy to wait a bit longer for quality designs that will then sell better. Of course, it's a shame to leave finished artwork lying around, but in that case I'd wonder how that artwork got to that level of finish and remained unused in the first place; that to me looks like there's something inefficient going on in your design processes. Just my two cents.

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #10
    Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Lhune View Post
    xanderK: I understand that, but it's still working backwards. You have the design first and then alter the design to make it fit onto a hero, rather than picking the hero first and creating a suitable design for that. Forgive me for saying it but I've found S2's design team to become continually more lazy if you look at the sheer amount of alternatives and the quality of most of them. I understand there's time- and financial pressure but I genuinely believe that the majority of the community and your more faithful customers would be happy to wait a bit longer for quality designs that will then sell better. Of course, it's a shame to leave finished artwork lying around, but in that case I'd wonder how that artwork got to that level of finish and remained unused in the first place; that to me looks like there's something inefficient going on in your design processes. Just my two cents.
    Literally everything else that goes into the game goes by the path that you stated: hero concept first and then design the look. The Avatar Shuffle exists because we have concepts that were never used for various reasons (Almost every single game out there has these extra concepts. It's extremely common for something to get finished and then decide to go in a different direction.) I think that Scorcher and Young Maliken both came out AMAZING and are among the best looking alts in the game so I expect the winner of this contest to be similar.

Not Alchemist, please Lord. Not Alchemist...

archmage.

voted alchemist, and I vote he should be blacksmith, for many reasons.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    xanderK: Fair enough. Of course there are always left-over concepts (though that one was pretty well worked out) but I wouldn't dig them up to use them for a different purpose than their original design. Then again, that does depend on the reason why it was abandoned I guess.

I'll just be honest with you, the sheer amount of alts has put me off of HoN for the most part. In the beginning they were like gifts to the community, everybody loved seeing alts, they brought something new and refreshing into the game and most of the alts held true to their original heroes in some way. As time went on though, new heroes came out with new alts and before we were even given the time to get used to a new hero, there would be another one with different alts PLUS new alts for already existing heroes. Not only that, but some of the alts were so vastly different from their original design that I remember a fair few games where I needed some time to realize who I was even up against. We're being buried under buyable content that's being churned out at a ridiculous pace and this thread reminded me of that again. Needless to say, I miss the old HoN, hell I even miss beta; you just seemed to care more about WHAT you were putting into the game rather than HOW MUCH of it.

/rant, sorry for the derailment.

My vote is for alchemist to be the new blacksmith! Looks like ogre magi.

Archmage for new Prophet skin.

Really hope it will be the parasite skin. It looks (and should be) a fungus, as those can be parasitic as well.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    i would love another tempest alt, but i'm tired of all those purple ugly same looking alts for him ( it ?) . voting alchemist just cuz i hate the tempest artwork.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Alchemist must be with Blacksmith as well^^.(i voted Alchemist)
    Tempest with...Tempest or Revenant.
    Archmage?hummmm... Gravekeeper or Soul Reaper?
    Parasite? dunno..deadwood or Parasite?
    Hardcore player. Always improve his gameplay. Never rage against anyone than himself for being weak.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Alchemist.
    Blacksmith or Voodoo

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast