Toggle Snow

Thread: People kill themselves for the dumbest reasons

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

People kill themselves for the dumbest reasons

I'm just going to start by saying that I'm not suicidal and I don't fear death so I may be a little biased when I say this but
    some people kill themselves for the DUMBEST reasons.

This kid in Sweden killed himself because his favorite character from an anime died...
    The nurse that killed herself because of the mistake with the prank call to the princess
    People that kill themselves when they lose "the love of their life"

Stories like this go on the news daily and people try to sympathize (in some cases) but tbh all I see is stupidity. Life moves on... Once you hit rock-bottom the only way to go is up so what's the point in killing yourself?

Only way I could see someone killing themselves is if they're extremely poor and homeless and can't even find food but even then you find bums on the street with more will to live then some people that kill themselves over something as stupid as a t.v. show.

Edit: I don't have any sources these are just stories I remember hearing/seeing from radio/news but i'm sure if someone really wanted to it wouldn't be difficult to find.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    The triggers of the suicide are likely not the full causes. If you think someone killed themselves for a stupid reason, you probably don't have the full story.

Account Icon
    You only need to get to get that low for a few hours, and you're done. I've gotten pretty depressed and grief-stricken before, to the point where I have deliberately burned myself with open flame. That was a long time ago though.

I think all of us occasionally contemplate how easy it would be to just die. Madness is just around the corner all the time.

Yeah both of you are right but I just feel like if I was in a horrible enough scenario to even consider suicide I'd consider the hell out of it, I'd spend so much time thinking it through.

Death is one of those things I wouldn't just act on impulse because of the fact that it's so permanent.
    It's like when you hear one of those stories where someone tried to kill themselves and they failed or someone who was going to do it and ended up not? I think things like that happen because they didn't think it through enough, it's not something you take lightly you know? I know people get desperate because they don't know what to do but I can't think of anything worse than trying to kill yourself and waking up in a hospital and have people tell you you failed at that too...

P.s.: I like that you didn't do yourself in Apostate, it's ironic that the two of you are the first to comment on this thread but you both happen to be people I actually like to read in the OT. Cheers to life lol

Edit: Damn senzation too, i've become fond of quite a few people in OT actually
    Last edited by _Atrium_; 12-08-2012 at 05:41 PM.

I've been suicidal myself, however I don't really respect suicide. There are situations where I can understand why someone would do it, however the way I see it it's a permanent solution for a temporary problem and it's egoistical, cowardly and yes, stupid. People who commit suicide are people who find themselves in a situation that's hard to deal with and instead of saying "How can I fix this?" they say "Boo hoo my life is so horrible and I don't want to do it any more". Never mind the people they're leaving behind who'll be devastated by the loss and guilt, they don't man up and fix their problems, they just give up. It's weak.
    Of course there's a bit more to it than that, but in essence it seems to me like people are unhappy for reasons they are the sole cause of and the only ones who can do anything about that are themselves. I think it's kind of a result of how easy life is for most people in modern countries nowadays. They have it so easy that a little harsh weather on the emotional front is enough to make them off themselves in self pity.

And yeah, I've been that person. I've been wallowing in self pity, wanting to commit suicide because I'd ****ed my own life up and because fixing it would be hard. It's taken me years to get from where I was to where I am today and the only thing I have to say about my old self is that I was a wimp. I should have manned up and taken control of my own life way earlier than I did, but instead I chose to live at my parents' house doing nothing at all and just getting lower. It was cowardly, egoistic and stupid. You are what you make of yourself and your life is what you make of it. Take control like a man or wimp out like a wimp.

Account Icon
    Cheers mate

I have mixed feelings about suicide. I've never been in that position so I've decided not to judge anyone who says they are suicidal as being weaker, or anything of the sort.

I think suicide is more common in the modern day because of how stale and stagnant life is. We've gone from the majority of the planet fighting every day to survive, to being overweight and sedentary, all in only 10,000 years. There are many species of animals that can fall into depression if they are held in unnatural captivity. In some ways, humans are all held in captivity, domesticated at birth by our parents who were similarly groomed for this odd, organized society we all live in. At least, that's how I think of it.

What may seem silly to you might be deal breaking to someone else. Everybody suffers but not everybody suffers equally. Good quote to understand it.
    Last edited by KingSaber; 12-08-2012 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Apostate View Post
    Cheers mate

I have mixed feelings about suicide. I've never been in that position so I've decided not to judge anyone who says they are suicidal as being weaker, or anything of the sort.

I think suicide is more common in the modern day because of how stale and stagnant life is. We've gone from the majority of the planet fighting every day to survive, to being overweight and sedentary, all in only 10,000 years. There are many species of animals that can fall into depression if they are held in unnatural captivity. In some ways, humans are all held in captivity, domesticated at birth by our parents who were similarly groomed for this odd, organized society we all live in. At least, that's how I think of it.
    Yeah that and there's a hell of a lot of social pressures going on nowadays that everyone is guilty of being involved with or a victim of at one point or another.
    I think social pressures are HUGE triggers if not causes of many suicides that occur nowadays. An example would be the social appeal towards skinny tall girls, I've known tons of girls who used to self mutilate (cut themselves) because they didn't fit that image that "every guy" is looking for.

I don't see it as a worthy enough reason of suicide but I can see it as a form of distress if someone really cares about the opinion of people around them.

Edit: Love the qoute king

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    relevant

Edit: Don't mean to imply anything negative towards those that kill themselves or considered that. Just saw the title and it's a fun video.
    Last edited by ProfessorOak; 12-08-2012 at 09:04 PM.

I"m pretty much at that point in my life right now. I am on the verge.

Thanks Vahn

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodaxe View Post
    You'll crawl back up. There's too much strength in you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodaxe View Post
    Then do something about it, feeling sorry for yourself wont do you any good and nobody else can do anything Take control. You can do it if you really want to. I know several other people who have problems with depression and stuff, the common denominator for all of them is that they never do anything about it. A pill from the psychiatrist wont fix it, the best cure for depression is doing stuff that makes you happy.

Account Icon
    Suicide comes with a feeling of helplessness to do anything. People who think they can do something about it don't commit suicide. I know someone who came close to committing suicide and the best way to help them was to show them that they have control over their situation. It's sticky and hard to get out of, but he did.

All of us struggle with thoughts of suicide at SOME point in our lives.

My mom attempted suicide twice, once when I was a toddler and later when I was a little older. She has permanent stomach damage as a result.

I consider and think about suicide all the time. It's almost how I deal with stress or depression. Some people like lashing out at others, or breaking things, or whatever. For me, I don't really lash out or blame others so much as criticize myself, and sometimes the thought of hurting myself makes me feel slightly better. Also, the idea of death somewhat interests me (as in, sometimes I'm driving and just curiously think what would happen if I just turned the car into the upcoming telephone pole). I probably will never actually do it. But I can't say I don't sympathize people who do.

Also, I don't think suicide is necessarily selfish. Maybe I'm just speaking for myself, but I doubt anyone commits suicide without really thinking about it. I'm sure they deeply consider how their friends and family would feel, and I'm sure it makes their decision that much harder to make. The point is that they're at such a state where even such considerations do not matter. I do not blame people who reach that state and make that decision, nor do I think they are weak.
    I'll never forget what I felt that day...

I, want to be a Hero of Justice!

Account Icon
    First of all. The title of the thread is quite intimidating imo. Suicide of other people which you think were over "dumb" things? Sure, to almost everyone else, even i think, were not worthy things to kill yourself for. But then again, we won't understand would we? For example, a kid killed himself because his favourite anime character died or his Tamogotchi died. What the kid did was definitely not the right thing to do. Nevertheless, if you think about the kid's parents perspective, it's truly sad because people will talk trash about it or even make jokes about it.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiya View Post
    For me, I don't really lash out or blame others so much as criticize myself, and sometimes the thought of hurting myself makes me feel slightly better. Also, the idea of death somewhat interests me (as in, sometimes I'm driving and just curiously think what would happen if I just turned the car into the upcoming telephone pole). I probably will never actually do it. But I can't say I don't sympathize people who do.
    The call of the void. These types of intrusive thoughts are really common, actually.

Suicide is something I think about commonly and it's probably the way I will die (although, I hope not for some time). I get comfort knowing that I'll be choosing how and when I'll die, barring an accident. Everyone dies, dying a little sooner but by your choice doesn't have to be a sign of weakness.

Account Icon
    You can't devalue life. Life is precious. For those of you that are existentialist it means the end of your existence. Do you not value what little time you have alive?

Quote Originally Posted by Beanybag View Post
    The call of the void. These types of intrusive thoughts are really common, actually.

Suicide is something I think about commonly and it's probably the way I will die (although, I hope not for some time). I get comfort knowing that I'll be choosing how and when I'll die, barring an accident. Everyone dies, dying a little sooner but by your choice doesn't have to be a sign of weakness.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Wololo View Post
    You can't devalue life. Life is precious. For those of you that are existentialist it means the end of your existence. Do you not value what little time you have alive?
    Life is like the most abundant thing on this planet. It's only precious to the person experiencing it, and to the people who value that person's life. For instance nobody really gives a crap when some random person dies in a car crash, other than the ones who knew that person.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast