Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread. Thread: Alt Avatar Contest Results!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1
    Account Icon

Alt Avatar Contest Results!

The Alt Avatar Contest is now over and we were simply overwhelmed with all the entries that were submitted. For this version of the contest, we wanted to get as much information as possible out of each submission so that we could create the best possible avatar. Players were challenged to use the following method for presenting their ideas:

Hero and Avatar Name: What would this avatar be called? Also include what hero the avatar would be for.

Appearance: What does your avatar look like? What weapon do they use? What do their abilities look like?

Character: Now, describe your avatar as a character. What's their personality like? How would they act? What would they sound like?

Iconic Traits: What should stand out about this avatar? What makes them special?

Picture (optional): You may also include a picture of some kind. This could be a drawing of your avatar or just a picture that illustrates what you'd like it to look like (or similar to).
    We were extremely pleased to see that this accomplished exactly what we were hoping for-- there were so many entries that went into extreme detail for every little thing about their idea which painted an extremely clear picture for us to look at while deciding on which Alt Avatar idea would be the winner.

However, after taking some time to go through the submissions, we realized that we simply couldn't pick just one favorite! So we've decided to do something a little different than previous editions of this contest and announce that there will be multiple winners for the Alt Avatar Contest! In the coming months, we will be going back to the contest entries to pull out more of our favorite ideas but we'd like to announce our first selection today!

Congratulations to Skyve!

Quote Originally Posted by Skyve View Post
    Name - Flora Silhouette

Appearence - The basic premise would be if she was a plant (preferably a rose) that is also a ninja. Her skills fit the concept rather well, and only need somewhat minor modifications to their current looks (ie, mostly color). The blades of her Death Lotus become either green leaves or rose petals. Tree Grapple would need to be recolored to look like a tendril or root. Her attack projectile could either just be recolored to look like some sort of leaf forming a shuriken, or it could be thorns.

Character - I imagine her with a silky smooth voice, indicating that she is a flower, a thing of beauty, but she would also be able to be aggressive and show her "thorns".

Iconic Traits - Well, she'd be the first avatar that's a flower. She's also likely to be the only flower that's also a ninja.

Possible look:

Please keep in mind that the above information and (especially) the image will merely serve as a a guide to making the idea a reality and might not represent the final product perfectly. Everyone should keep the following rule in mind:

NOTE: The winning idea is subject to partial or complete changes. When putting avatars into the game, sometimes things don't transfer into the game as well as we think they would in our heads. As a result, changes would have to get made in order to make the avatar work well in the game. Sometimes these changes are minor but sometimes they are drastic. Keep that in mind!

We're really excited to see what Flora Sillhoutte will look like when she's finished and playable in HoN! Keep your eyes peeled for what other concepts will be declared as winners soon!
    Last edited by xanderK; 11-07-2012 at 11:48 AM.

No vote from the players? Why the change from previous contests?
    Has a rubber duck named "Mr. Quackers."

Rudra || Plaguebringer || Bastion || Castor/Pollux || Arcane Assassin || Smoke

Blog yo

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #3
    S2 Staff Member S2 Games Staff
    I really like that alt, too. Great work, Skyve! Thorny brambles could work as the "salvo" stack, since you know... brambly thorny stuff things ok I'm not good at this.

S2 Games: Dedicated employees serving dedicated gamers. Continuous development. Never-ending improvement.
    -----------------------------

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #5
    Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Reldnahc View Post
    No vote from the players? Why the change from previous contests?
    Because we ended up making all the options anyway so we wanted to give those people that would've come in 2nd/3rd/4th in voting some love. :-D

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Good thing that you select more than only one, there are many awesome submissions out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Elune_ View Post
    Good thing that you select more than only one, there are many awesome submissions out there.
    Agreee with this. I saw some very good entries.
    "Peace if possible, truth at all costs."
    "Blood alone moves the wheels of history."
    "I feel much freer now that I am certain the pope is the Antichrist."
    -Martin Luther
    "In politics, nothing happens by accident. If it happens, you can bet it was planned that way. "
    - Franklin D. Roosevelt
    “Banking institutions are more dangerous than standing armies”
    -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by xanderK View Post
    Because we ended up making all the options anyway so we wanted to give those people that would've come in 2nd/3rd/4th in voting some love. :-D
    If the intent was to pick avatars later from a list of ones S2 actually likes from the thread, you could have done something like, "Community vote for the order of release of our top three picks!" Would have added a little more community involvement. It is nice to see you're going to pick others down the line as well, just hope it doesn't interfere with hosting later and similar contests.

Congarats Skyve. *conga*

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Gratz bud! I actually love that idea and can't wait to see it in the future, as well as how it is implemented! great job Skyve

Account Icon
    Grats Skyve!! =)
    Text highlighted in this colour=fun/interesting to read~~!

EYE <3 HoN

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Looking forward to owning it.

Flora silhouette. Not what I would pick but I think it's very interesting as it is totally different from a ninja (which all her current avatars relate to).

All I can think of from that death lotus description:

Melee Strength Initiator: Shackle, The Prisoner
    Suggestion: Show Hero-specific stats on pick screen

Quote Originally Posted by Artic View Post

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/c/c7/Razor_Leaf.png
    Has a rubber duck named "Mr. Quackers."

Rudra || Plaguebringer || Bastion || Castor/Pollux || Arcane Assassin || Smoke

Blog yo

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Thanks for all the congratulations

I'm really looking forward to see this one being implemented.

Also, as somewhat hinted by Reldnahc, this idea isn't entirely impossible to imagine as Pokémon related (Razor Leaf, Vine Whip, Leaf Dance and Double Team more or less).

Flora silhouette. Not what I would pick but I think it's very interesting as it is totally different from a ninja (which all her current avatars relate to).
    That's what I often try to do when I suggest alts. I just like it when you take an entire hero and twist his theme around a bit. S2 also did that really well with a couple of heroes when they ported them from DotA (Andromeda and Bubbles are great examples for thematically changed heroes that still fit their skills REALLY, REALLY well). Guess who came up with Medusa Midas

Forum Moderators are not S2 Games employees. My posts in no way represent the view of S2 Games or any of its staff.

Please use the report post function to have me review a post that you believe is breaking the Forum Rules.
    Check the Sticky Threads for additional information on this sub-forum and the Announcement Threads for more information about Heroes of Newerth as a whole!

-----------------------------

16.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #16
    Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Artic View Post

Leaf Shield > Air Man

Quote Originally Posted by Elune_ View Post
    This.

you should select and an avatar winner for aluna........the only hera that hasnt any avatar.

S2, you better not mess this one up.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyve View Post
    Thanks for all the congratulations

I'm really looking forward to see this one being implemented.

Also, as somewhat hinted by Reldnahc, this idea isn't entirely impossible to imagine as Pokémon related (Razor Leaf, Vine Whip, Leaf Dance and Double Team more or less).

That's what I often try to do when I suggest alts. I just like it when you take an entire hero and twist his theme around a bit. S2 also did that really well with a couple of heroes when they ported them from DotA (Andromeda and Bubbles are great examples for thematically changed heroes that still fit their skills REALLY, REALLY well). Guess who came up with Medusa Midas
    I loooove medusa midas