Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread. Thread: hontour matches catered towards eu teams - unplayable for most US players

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 131
  1. #1

    hontour matches catered towards eu teams - unplayable for most US players

    I don't understand how any non professional US team is going to compete in this qualifiers. These times are just completely unreasonable for anyone who works or goes to school. I'm praying that the EU teams we play against are going to be reasonable and negotiate times with us.


    weekdays:
    4:30 PM eastern
    1:30 PM pacific

  2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2
    Offline
    S2 Staff Member S2 Games Staff
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    950
    Unfortunately with the double elimination 1024 team tournament some of the games had to be spread out throughout the week. Once the actual hontour season starts there are ZERO games played during the week for Bronze and Silver Divisions. Our idea for HoN Tour is to cater to the more casual players, the weekend warriors. Once the qualifiers are over you will find that it will be easy for your team to compete and advance through the Divisions.

    S2 Games: Dedicated employees serving dedicated gamers. Continuous development. Never-ending improvement.
    -----------------------------



  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by _NR_ View Post
    I don't understand how any non professional US team is going to compete in this qualifiers. These times are just completely unreasonable for anyone who works or goes to school. I'm praying that the EU teams we play against are going to be reasonable and negotiate times with us.


    weekdays:
    4:30 PM eastern
    1:30 PM pacific

    Yep we are screwed thanks a lot S2. Forget about your US players sure

    Oh wait i remember now milkfat or somebody in that preview video for hontour them talking about how easy it is going to be for players who work during the week to participate and how it was catered to amateur players.... OH REALLY?????

  4. #4
    Considering most are EU players, I get it. I see your point but a lot of people playing this game is in school, so they have more flexible hours.

    If you move it later - you won't be able to play in EU, because you can't stay up that late for a game in a normal week. It didn't work for Cevo, where the tournament was shut down due to the fact, that it was impossible to schedule for EU teams, where the US scene had preference.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkfat View Post
    Unfortunately with the double elimination 1024 team tournament some of the games had to be spread out throughout the week. Once the actual hontour season starts there are ZERO games played during the week for Bronze and Silver Divisions. Our idea for HoN Tour is to cater to the more casual players, the weekend warriors. Once the qualifiers are over you will find that it will be easy for your team to compete and advance through the Divisions.
    your idea for hon tour is to cater to the more casual players so the first event you run is unplayable for 95% of US teams? can you run me through this thought process one more time?

    so you're saying diamond and gold are going to have these same matches all the time? I think theres a huge gap between a professional team of players that can quit their job to play hon to the us players who are skilled enough to be in these diamond and gold leagues.

    these times are completely unacceptable for US players of any skill level, not just "weekend warriors"
    Last edited by _NR_; 10-16-2012 at 07:22 PM.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedtekansler View Post
    Considering most are EU players, I get it. I see your point but a lot of people playing this game is in school, so they have more flexible hours.

    If you move it later - you won't be able to play in EU, because you can't stay up that late for a game in a normal week. It didn't work for Cevo, where the tournament was shut down due to the fact, that it was impossible to schedule for EU teams, where the US scene had preference.
    I'm all for trying to incorporate everyone, but you have to understand theres really no comparing staying up late for games and having games during work times. If you had the choice between staying up an extra 2 hours to play a hon game, or trying to take time off of work which would you choose. I'm pretty sure its obvious. The system is totally messed up because of the fact that games are unplayable for US players just so EU doesnt have to stay up late.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by _NR_ View Post
    I'm all for trying to incorporate everyone, but you have to understand theres really no comparing staying up late for games and having games during work times. If you had the choice between staying up an extra 2 hours to play a hon game, or trying to take time off of work which would you choose. I'm pretty sure its obvious. The system is totally messed up because of the fact that games are unplayable for US players just so EU doesnt have to stay up late.

    You have the better weekend times. During the day it won't be blocking certain weekend night events, which is preferable. And if you say that we postponed the week matches like 1 hour - then you would have 6 PM EST, and some players in the US West would still have 3 PM - which is by your definition unacceptable.

    I agree that you wanna stay up compared to not being able to play. But a game ending maybe not before 3 AM for EU seems a bit too late, if you have to get up at like 6 or 7 - considering that you wouldn't be saving the guys in the West or Mid-West US anyway.... It's impossible to fix it for all - if you think about it - I like that Silver and Bronze only have to play weekends, which is seems fair for all.

  8. #8
    And about negotiating time - it's against the rules unfortunately.

  9. #9
    Will we be allowed to mutually reschedule games with the opposing team to be able to fit the games into a schedule that works?
    We have a lot of people who work and/or have school or other commitments, and we wouldn't be able to have enough ringers to fill in during some of those times.

    EDIT: Sniped - and that sucks
    Last edited by AjaxVM; 10-16-2012 at 08:01 PM.

  10. #10
    Just hurry home after work/school and dont stop by at McDonalds and you'll be fine.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by _NR_ View Post
    I'm all for trying to incorporate everyone, but you have to understand theres really no comparing staying up late for games and having games during work times. If you had the choice between staying up an extra 2 hours to play a hon game, or trying to take time off of work which would you choose. I'm pretty sure its obvious. The system is totally messed up because of the fact that games are unplayable for US players just so EU doesnt have to stay up late.
    Milkfat u ought to do something about the timings.

    Else this is gonna go downhill with a large number of forfeits/no-shows.


    If I may suggest to organize the pre-lims based on region. So that EU play with EU during the evening and USW play with USW in the evening.
    The logic is the same as these are qualifiers you can do this so that

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedtekansler View Post
    You have the better weekend times. During the day it won't be blocking certain weekend night events, which is preferable. And if you say that we postponed the week matches like 1 hour - then you would have 6 PM EST, and some players in the US West would still have 3 PM - which is by your definition unacceptable.

    I agree that you wanna stay up compared to not being able to play. But a game ending maybe not before 3 AM for EU seems a bit too late, if you have to get up at like 6 or 7 - considering that you wouldn't be saving the guys in the West or Mid-West US anyway.... It's impossible to fix it for all - if you think about it - I like that Silver and Bronze only have to play weekends, which is seems fair for all.

    You just don't understand, you cannot put matches during work hours as they are completely unplayable for US teams. I will give euros any weekend time that they want so that the weekday matches aren't during work hours.

    Again, I don't see how you could compare a 3am game to a 3pm game. You're sleeping, if hon really means enough to you then you can change things around and make it work so that you can play games at 3am. If its 3pm and you have a tight work/school schedule you have no choice and must immediately forfeit every match.

    "Silver and bronze only have to play weekends, which is seems fair for all"

    How is it fair for people that aren't in silver or bronze?

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by GabeNewe11 View Post
    Milkfat u ought to do something about the timings.

    Else this is gonna go downhill with a large number of forfeits/no-shows.

    Milkfat you are ruining your own tournament if you do not listen to this

  14. #14
    Okay so what ur saying is that a person that sleeps at 3 am, maybe cuz he needs to get up at 6 or 7 am, can change around so that he is awake at 3am. But u cant, cuz u got work/school at that time? What if the EU person who is up at 3am cant get up at 6-7 cuz he gamed HoN all night? If HoN means that much to u (apparantly it does since ur arguing in this thread) why cant u change things around to make it work?

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Drop`Gs View Post
    Okay so what ur saying is that a person that sleeps at 3 am, maybe cuz he needs to get up at 6 or 7 am, can change around so that he is awake at 3am. But u cant, cuz u got work/school at that time? What if the EU person who is up at 3am cant get up at 6-7 cuz he gamed HoN all night? If HoN means that much to u (apparantly it does since ur arguing in this thread) why cant u change things around to make it work?

    Ok here i will play at 3am my time and you can play at 10am your time when you are awake. That is fair right?

  16. #16
    There is no reason not to have split the qualifiers into US and EU. There should be enough teams for both so that you can give them spots based on %of team population that is EU vs US. Then you can have them 10pm Eastern 6pm USW and then Everyone can participate.

    The EU times can then be something like 7-10pm so they are all also fine.

    The actual matches are being played on the weekends anyway so that will be fine and teams from US vs EU placed in the same division have no excuses. But the qualifiers are unplayable for casual gamers.

  17. #17

    Precisely

    Quote Originally Posted by MLG_PawnStar View Post
    There is no reason not to have split the qualifiers into US and EU. There should be enough teams for both so that you can give them spots based on %of team population that is EU vs US. Then you can have them 10pm Eastern 6pm USW and then Everyone can participate.

    The EU times can then be something like 7-10pm so they are all also fine.

    The actual matches are being played on the weekends anyway so that will be fine and teams from US vs EU placed in the same division have no excuses. But the qualifiers are unplayable for casual gamers.
    1. For the prelims the games are meant to filter out the weakest teams quickly.
    2. You could do this on a regional basis.
    3. Its like: EU premier league + US premier league and then therez a faceoff between the leagues.
    4. THis is a very common stucture in Football/Soccer etc and I do not see why this cannot apply to e-sports.

    I am intrigued why this hasnt been thought by the S2 HonTour team (if they have not) and if they have what are the problems with playing region specific prelims?

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Drop`Gs View Post
    Okay so what ur saying is that a person that sleeps at 3 am, maybe cuz he needs to get up at 6 or 7 am, can change around so that he is awake at 3am. But u cant, cuz u got work/school at that time? What if the EU person who is up at 3am cant get up at 6-7 cuz he gamed HoN all night? If HoN means that much to u (apparantly it does since ur arguing in this thread) why cant u change things around to make it work?
    Considering your first post was an ignorant comment about mcdonalds I'm going to take what you say with a grain of salt.

    Work schedules are in many cases completely not flexible because you have no control of the hours you work. Your main source of income and entire well-being is dependent on this, and it out prioritizes everything else.

    Sleeping schedules, although they may take some shifting, can actually be easily changed by most people if necessary. Also, there is absolutely no logic in saying that if you stayed up till 3 theres no possible way you can get up at 7. Try taking a nap or going to bed early?

    I'm all for supporting the EU schedule as they are the major playerbase, but setting it up such that it is 100% unplayable for all US players in the diamond and gold divsions is just completely unreasonable. I'd be completely willing to play matches at 3am on weekdays in order to make it work, but unfortunately the world just doesnt work like that.

  19. #19
    tournament times starting from wb/lb round 5 are stupid - you will end up with some teams who get to a higher division by forfeit, i thought this took months to organise and sort out.. LOL

    even just delaying round 5 on wards for another weekend would've solved most problems
    Last edited by PiIIOWS; 10-16-2012 at 07:51 PM.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Drop`Gs View Post
    Just hurry home after work/school and dont stop by at McDonalds and you'll be fine.
    LOL, you realize most people work til 5 over here - and a game that starts at 2 for them kind of rules out them just being tardy to get home... lol

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •