Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread. Thread: MAJOR patch for Mac & Linux!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1

MAJOR patch for Mac & Linux!

Hi everyone,

We are proud to announce a MAJOR patch for our Mac & Linux game clients. For a while now, as our Windows client received features and updates, our Mac and Linux clients have been slowly falling behind. While we always strive to make sure Mac and Linux stay updated and compatible with the latest patches, we haven't always been able to keep them feeling as feature-complete and polished as our Windows client.

Maintaining separate clients is a LOT of work - it really requires some dedicated attention (mostly from programming) to keep things running in top shape. Through the hustle and bustle of developing the game as a whole, it's easy, if not paying proper attention, for small bugs to crop up here and there, building up over time.

A few months ago we filled a key programming position of a dedicated Mac + Linux programmer (along with fleshing out our QA staff) to give these clients the attention and time they deserve, and we couldn't be happier with the results (up to DOUBLE the performance in some cases on Mac). We've been working hard behind the scenes to not only fix up the current client, but to make sure it is among the top performing native games for both Mac and Linux operating systems (and certainly the best client in the genre). This upcoming patch not only brings them up to speed, but makes sure they look and feel great, and have all the latest features that the Windows client has.

S2 has always proudly supported Mac and Linux for our games, even when sometimes it didn't seem economically feasible. While some other companies may choose to take the "easy" route and drop support of these clients, we simply couldn't accept that, we were determined to redouble our efforts.

Highlights contained in this patch:
    • VASTLY improved performance and stability (up to 2x the performance of the current retail client)
    • Awesomium Integration (HoN TV, guides, player ladder ,etc)
    • Fancy new updater (similar to the one released recently for the Windows client - generally improves reliability of updating)
    • New installer (does away with the disk-image method that was causing some update issues on Mac)
    • Many miscellaneous bug fixes and stability improvements (fixed the most common causes of crashes, skybox reflections now work, and lots of other stuff)
    • Retina display support

Some of the updates here were incompatible with Mac OS X 10.4, and as such, we have dropped support of it. Keep in mind this is just the mac/linux highlights of the upcoming patch, there's other goodies that'll equally affect PC + Mac/Linux.

We're excited to bring you these updates and to continue giving these clients the love and attention they deserve to continue running at top notch. If you have any Mac or Linux gamer friends, now is the time to get them hooked on HoN!
    Last edited by Fielding; 10-04-2012 at 10:44 AM.
    James Fielding | Executive Director of Design & Development

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol

Thumbs up HoN Mac/Linux support upgraded

Edit: threads merged, thanks
    Last edited by Nospheratu; 10-05-2012 at 12:06 PM.

Compare HoN with other moba games at the HoN Rosetta Stone
    Want to make your own HoN DVD? Click here

Account Icon
    I love this. Maybe I will finally be able to play on ubuntu on high settings. Goodbye microshit then!

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #4
    As a mac user, I must say that the new performance improvements are astounding. I recommend those that had issues in the past to try it out!
    Doug Houserman | Strife Creative Game Designer

Don't forget to register for HoN Tour! http://hontour.com/events/

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    I was running on Ubuntu with memory and gfx problems, I hope this fixes it. I may have to try again. I will say that I agree this is a significant thing.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    YES, finally HoN looks decent on my macbook Thnx! I can run on high setting now, and can actually see where i'm clicking!

Thank you so much for this! I now have about twice the fps than before and the interface is much faster aswell. Very well done S2!
    Strong, hard and stainless!

Awesome, I may reinstall Hon on my mac now.

That's cool, even if I use Windows.
    However, just a small question: why is the term PC often used to mean Windows? It's not like Mac/Linux aren't used on PCs :S

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Forum mods, can you merge this thread with my thread? You can also remove my OP since Fielding did a much better job of it. OT: great job, this will surely give you a decisive edge against those "other companies" Stay awesome^^

Compare HoN with other moba games at the HoN Rosetta Stone
    Want to make your own HoN DVD? Click here

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Nospheratu View Post
    Forum mods, can you merge this thread with my thread? You can also remove my OP since Fielding did a much better job of it. OT: great job, this will surely give you a decisive edge against those "other companies" Stay awesome^^
    Done Anytime Nospheratu

Bug Reports
    | Honcast | Replays - Moderator | Found a bug? Report it here. Be sure to read the Bug Reports Rules before posting. | Share your big plays here

Account Icon
    As a archlinux user, I have to say...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQRv0qM_5rQ

S2 company best Linux game company on the scene.

Tux seal of approval!

-------------------------------
    I knew that there could be made some performance enhancements in the OGL engine, but I only dreamt about such a big increase. HoN now even works smooth with AMD open source drivers on my obsolete hardware. I can't wait to try it with fglrx drivers.

Respect!

S2 great job. Really you guys have been amazing me for the past couple months. Keep up the hard work!

Account Icon
    Excellent work Fielding and friends.

Will test this on OS X asap. Can't have my expectations all up cus last time I tried HoN there it crashed on startup every single time, even after my clean install of ML. Maybe I'll FINALLY be able to drop Windows as HoN is pretty much the only thing holding me back. Thank GOD, and good riddance to "Microshit".

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    yup this is great

Forum Moderators are not S2 Games employees. My posts in no way represent the view of S2 Games or any of its staff.

Please use the report post function to have me review a post that you believe is breaking the Forum Rules.
    Check the Sticky Threads for additional information on this sub-forum and the Announcement Threads for more information about Heroes of Newerth as a whole!

-----------------------------

[CENTER]Google+ HoN Community Page

Hi. I have a early 2011 macbook 15'' with ati 512MB and with this patch i'm getting some lag in the graphics. Before the patch there was none
    What should I do?

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    I found a problem with the Mac client. It looks like Exclusive mode stopped working. This is very annoying because I keep triggering my hot-corners when I'm trying to move the camera.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast