Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread. Thread: Introducing HoN API

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Introducing HoN API

Since there seemed to be a fair bit of demand, I have created a simple API to access match and player data. The API is currently a WORK IN PROGRESS. That means that I don't have the most recent matches yet (currently there are about a million matches in the db). Additionally, there aren't too many parameters you can specify. The data is returned JSON encoded. Let me know if you would like XML for backwards compatibility with the old API.

Sample queries:
    http://api.honalysis.com/players/3387625
    http://api.honalysis.com/matches/95820747

Here is the json returned from the first API call, but in formatted form:
    http://pastebin.com/1CHZzi3g

If you like would to contribute, feel free to submit a pull request on github:
    https://github.com/mbadov/hon-api

Over the next few weeks the API should catch up and not be more than an hour behind the latest matches. Please let me know what features you would like to see. Additionally, feel free to ask questions about the returned parameters (Note that I don't necessarily know what each param means).

Enjoy!
    Last edited by vapor1zer; 09-06-2012 at 10:08 PM.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    A PlayerLadder, if possible.

Is this data being scraped from the master server?

Quote Originally Posted by DawZ_ View Post
    A PlayerLadder, if possible.
    That will be possible once I start collecting individual player data. It's on the list, but not currently my highest priority.

Quote Originally Posted by arcynum View Post
    Is this data being scraped from the master server?
    It is indeed.

This uses the HoN masterserver: https://github.com/mbadov/hon-api/bl...ats_scraper.rb

I suspect S2 will block this, querying the masterserver is a big no-no.

They should either let the master server be scraped, or give us an API to use. I'm not putting that much load on their server anyway, or else I would have likely been blocked long ago.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by vapor1zer View Post
    They should either let the master server be scraped, or give us an API to use. I'm not putting that much load on their server anyway, or else I would have likely been blocked long ago.
    you are not putting that much load to masterserver because no one so far knows about your project, but it seems like your project will be shutted down the minute you introduce it to players for them to download theyr own statistics like it happened to all other HoN API projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceriss View Post
    you are not putting that much load to masterserver because no one so far knows about your project, but it seems like your project will be shutted down the minute you introduce it to players for them to download theyr own statistics like it happened to all other HoN API projects.
    I don't think you understand how this works. There is only one point of contact with the master server; that's the scraper. At this current moment it is putting more load on their server than it ever will in the future, because it needs to catch up match-wise. Once that's done, the scraper load will barely even be noticeable.

All API calls hit my OWN server and database. It doesn't matter if 1000x more people start using this; thats the whole point.

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #9
    S2 Staff Member S2 Games Staff
    Hey there,

I have some good news, and some bad news; I'll start with the bad news. We do not currently allow third parties to scrape the master server for stats, and this project is technically against the rules.

The good news is an official S2 HoN API will be launching in the near future (currently in beta testing!) to replace the very defunct XML interface! Stay tuned in the coming weeks for more information on this.

S2 Games: Dedicated employees serving dedicated gamers. Continuous development. Never-ending improvement.
    -----------------------------

Official Canadian of S2Games' Online Systems Department

Hey Maide, you have said an updated API has been coming for MONTHS(year?) now, with no word on the progress or updates. Frankly, I think the community should take what you say with a grain of salt, because so far all we have been filled with is disappointment regarding the API. Either provide an actual, REAL update on the information you have, or let this guy have his project fun until s2 figures it out on their end. You scrap community projects like this while providing no alternative. The only "good news" you gave us was information rehashed that we've been aware of since you first took down stats.maide.ca.

^ +1

It's like there are no deadlines at S2

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Maide View Post
    Hey there,

I have some good news, and some bad news; I'll start with the bad news. We do not currently allow third parties to scrape the master server for stats, and this project is technically against the rules.

The good news is an official S2 HoN API will be launching in the near future (currently in beta testing!) to replace the very defunct XML interface! Stay tuned in the coming weeks for more information on this.
    See this is why you should let me help beta test it
    ill put some light load on it for bsmith and my bell curves

Forum Moderators are not S2 Games employees. My posts in no way represent the view of S2 Games or any of its staff.

Please use the report post function to have me review a post that you believe is breaking the Forum Rules.
    Check the Sticky Threads for additional information on this sub-forum and the Announcement Threads for more information about Heroes of Newerth as a whole!

-----------------------------

Account Icon
    Thank you for the news Maide!

Soon

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    soon™

I play HoN since beta and I always was a fan of stat sites... Imho you can get much information with them and improve your gameplay alot
    AreZee ~&~ TwiggX
    Made for me
    by Lhune ♥♥♥

meh :/ was gonna be awesome, but Maide said there is a HoN API S2 in progress, lets see.
    My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    I'd love to create an Android App for HoN Stats if there was some proper way to communicate with their servers.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Maide View Post
    Hey there,

Thank jeebus. Does this mean the return of Maide.ca?

Quote Originally Posted by Slowwwwwpoke View Post
    s2 at its best
    you're being parody of yourselves lately

why not let community help if after few months you still can't deliver api? not like you update website anyway )
    Because increased load on the masterserver = decreased service performance for players. Not that difficult to figure out what is more important...

and another one who doesn't know how the API works that the guy is building. Hint: It's causing nearly no load on S2's server at all.