I've been inspired by all the recent tournaments to maybe find my own way of doing one. But first, I'd like to ask the general public what they think of my idea in the first place.
One thing that truly upsets me about high-level games is when one team gets outpicked and watching the entire game is pointless from the start because you know for a fact who's going to win. In this case, I wanted to make things interesting. I want to hold a tournament that follows these "different" rules:
- Teams wont ban/pick heroes. Instead, they both teams will be given a lineup. The same lineup.
- Matches will be played in duplicate hero mode so that both teams can pick the same lineup.
So, now would probably be a good time to give you an example. Let's theorize 4 teams for the first 2 rounds:
- Team 1 vs. Team 2 (ROUND 1) - Kraken/Hellbringer/Voodoo Jester/Arachna/Legionnaire.
- Team 3 vs. Team 4 (ROUND 1) - The Dark Lady/Maliken/Succubus/Pebbles/Soul Reaper.
- ===Team 1 Wins vs. Team 2===
- ===Team 4 Wins vs. Team 3===
- Team 1 vs. Team 4 (ROUND 2) - Puppet Master/Nymphora/Pandamonium/Soulstealer/Vindicator.
Now I realize that this is abnormal and probably wont be accepted very well, so I'll state what I think is for/against this concept:
- Almost no game will turn into a complete stomp.
- Tests a teams coordination and synergy more than their picking ability.
- Gives a fresh new style of gameplay to try out competitively.
- Tests a teams well-roundedness, making sure they're able to play any hero in the game well instead of just their specific lineup.
- Might spawn new strategy and lane combinations due to randomized picks and competitive minds.
- Goes against everything traditional about DotA/HoN's competitive gameplay.
- Games might be slightly more boring to watch due to seeing 5 different heroes (20 abilities) instead of 10 (40 abilities).
- Not possible to "practice" this setting due to the randomization force behind it and how the "normal" game is played.
My final words would ask that you please give me your best feedback possible. I feel like I've been sitting on my ass the past few weeks doing nothing. Anything to help me inspire some more activity from everyone would be fantastic in my eyes.
what the **** I just posted this exact same thing
Get out of my head.
you havent played much ARMM before
they are almost always stomps
would still like to play obv
Last edited by SinisteRing; 11-17-2009 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Merged for unneeded double-post.
Mirror Mode used to be the most popular game type in in house leagues and I loved it.
I voted yes, purely because it'd be interesting to watch
- When Match Making fails to load a game, please re-queue automatically.
- When the message "The server is full" pops up re-open the Public Game's Listing.
- Include a fully featured in-game web browser. Allows for ease of downloading replays AND has many LAN league/tournament possibilities.
We do these all time time in DXD league, they make for fun games, and like tabako said, they're always almost stomps.
The team that does better early wins, they don't have a hero like jereziah that the other team doesn't who even failing can pop an ultimate and repel to win a game.
GOod stuff either way
Proud to be the first person to officially purchase Heroes of Newerth
Will it be a walk-in and play kind of deal, or will we need to sign-up beforehand?