It's always been something I wanted to try. But the jungle seems a bit intimidating to me. That plus I think if I tried to jungle I would be too afraid of being ganked to actually do anything. Can anyone give me some tips on how to be a decent jungler?
First off, if you never jungled i recommand trying it out in a practice game first to get hang of it. As for heroes, i would recommand Tempest or Keeper of the Forest as your first junglers since they are safer and farming is pretty much straight forward.
Now a few random tips.
- To not get ganked, keep an eye on both players in the lane close to you, and also on the ennemy mid when he goes for runes since he can come with an invis or haste. If someone goes missing, scout iwht a minion or hang back for a bit untill you know that you're safe. Always, ALWAYS pay close attention to the minimap, it's your best friend.
- Don't be afraid to use the courier to bring you mana pots/items when you need it. You can also upgrade it ti make it faster and you probably have enough gold anyways. Just make sure to not use it right before your mid gets his bottle to not screw him. If you're unsure just ask him.
- On tempest/keeper, ring of the teacher is pretty good to get early on, your minions get the armor and you get some mana regen. Also mana pots, mana pots, mana pots. Ring of sorcery is an potion. On tempest, don't go all-in rush for blink. Get some boots, ring of the teacher/sorcery, and maybe some stats too if you need them.
- Remember that your teammate will be in a 1v2 situation, and it's your role to make sure he does not get crushed. Tempest is excellent for ganking, come from behind with 6 minions, stun one and micro the minions so they focus him. They do a lot of damage early on. On her i often like to max her stun first ( i go like W-Q-W-Q-Q-R-Q-W-W then stats or met). Keeper is not very good at ganking before lvl 6, but you don't absolutely need to get kills, just apply some pressure to keep them on their heels and give your ally soem breathing room.
- Keeper and tempest are excellent pushers. If you have a chance (ennemies go to another lane), try to push your sidelane or mid to get an early tower kill. Ring of the teacher combined with minions makes it very easy, especially if you have and ally whith an aoe nuke helping you.
- Identify what your team needs you to do. If your team is doing fine, you can farm longer and get your core/luxury items. If they have a better late game team, you should be more active and gank/push earlier. Carry a tp to be able to help people if they get ganked, your presence is important in teamfights since you should have a level advantage.
Run practice matches, work on stacking (depending on hero) and sending the courier to you in advance (some heroes will need tangos, some pots.)
In some areas... You can squeeze between the tress of neutral camps and only one creep can hit you. It's called choke point jungling in Dota. It's better than tanking the whole camp, and good strategy for Predator.
Don't get a RotT on tempest, he uses way more mana than it gives you. Get a RoS instead.
Other than that, the advice was good. Gank mid and solo lane, push towers, farm the items you need to to your job. Simple as. Parasite is very easy to jungle with and once he gets his RoS he can jungle indefinitely as HP and mana are never going to be an issue. Keeper is also a very easy jungler. Tempest is relatively easy but requires some micromanagement of elementals vs hard camps early on (keep cycling them to the back as they get low) legionnaire is medium difficulty, but goes up to hard if you want to learn to jungle fast with him, and ophelia is just a hard hero to play. She's not so difficult to jungle with though. WB and WS are easy-medium level junglers. Zephyr shouldn't really jungle at level 1 anymore.
If they pick legionnaire, pick parasite, and make him ragequit within 5 minutes with his 2 deaths and no items.
No, jungling is very easy. It follows pretty much the same concept every single game. Just train it on practice mode and join into a real game. Take your time to farm some lvls and then gank + do your thing.
Im talking about simple jungle. When you reach higher you will encounter some problems like spawns blocked, people ganking you etc. and you have to adapt into different situations like when to jungle in your opposite jungle and form a pseudo-trilane or when to counter jungle the opposite jungler and many many other things which you will learn with time. Just start it with simple pretty much what I did.
Easy junglers are keeper, tempest and parasite. Especially parasite is noob friendly, you can jungle very easily and ganks are very deadly + easy to commit. Tempest is pretty trickier because you have to macro your elementals and keeper is the hardest of those because it is extremely hard to gank with him before lvl 6. You have to micro your minions so they block heroes etc... and keeper is very misunderstood hero, many people build him very retardedly like alchemist bones, ghost marchers, elder parasite and other crap. Just focus ring of the sorcery, armor boots/steamboots, portal key on both tempest + keeper in that order.
Yeah RotT is great for sure, but the mana regen for tempest simply isn't high enough to repeatedly spawn elementals, that's why I prefer RoS. It helps you get a faster PK.
For sure it makes perfect sense to buy it on him, the issue is, when do you buy it? You can't get it before RoS because you'll need to keep buying mana pots to farm your RoS. You can't buy it immediately after because boots and PK take priority, and then stats items/shrunken takes priority. What do? By the time you've got all the more important items RotT seems like a bit of an obselete pickup. Generally your solo will pick one up anyway if they know how to play solo lol.
Too many Devourer alts and no girl yet?! Help me fix this horrible injustice!! (Moved to archive, I am so sad!)
Try predator very easy to jungle with and incase of an gank just stone hide ( W spell ) and run or man up and fight that hero has an insane dmg on tanky people and that's the hero i started with. Also go on youtube or twitch.tv and look for videos/streams of ppl jungling it helps alot. GL HF
and pred should go for small camps first, since u cant face catman champions early on. Besides the fact u cant use stacks early on. Jungle with pred if your team would benefit from a solo laner whom you can gank a lot for.
Lego is the trickiest of all the junglers since u have to learn to double stack to make the most of his jungle.
On tree, watch out for minotaurs, catman champions (shouldnt start on his camp if he spawns), and vagabond leaders: make your creeps take their aoes, specially with vagabond his aoe thing will burn a lot of your pots if you dont position correctly, for instance, creeps on from of him and u hit him from behind or the opposite
Last edited by pollotron; 08-21-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Predator is NOT a jungling hero. Please for the love of God don't try to jungle/jungle with him. He is not efficient at it at all. Sad, but true.
Start off with scarab, ward(s) and mana pots. Just one arcana and you have all the mana reg you need anyway. It's a really efficient build and it's awesome. And it allows you to start off with wards.