Toggle Snow

Thread: MOBA's are the highest skill cap games?

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

MOBA's are the highest skill cap games?

I suck **** at HoN. I have been stuck in the 1300 bracket for the last 10 months but i watch every video honcast posts, as well as high level player streams of hon and a **** ton of other games but i really do think MOBA's have the highest skill cap of any video game.

Not only do MOBA's involve a lot of skill, reflexes and timing, they also involve so much team play and mind games.

I would love to see what people have to say about this topic =)

Pretty much impossible to tell what genre has the highest skill cap.

I think you can't compare all genres like that.
    I think it's every where real hard to max out your skill in Strategy, Moba or Shooters.
    oi

Lol no. They're one of the easiest games I've come across besides the initial barrier of entry.

Account Icon
    Starcraft II is the hardest along side with Quake.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    CoD is most difficult for sure.

ps: seems like it wasn't typed with enough sarcasm..

My choice is between RTS games and Moba. I'm just terrible at microing (so I'm glad there's something called MacroHard)
    Last edited by Mernie; 07-25-2012 at 09:50 AM.

Pretty sure real RTS games have a higher skill cap, mainly due to the insane micro it takes to play at a high level.
    HoN probably has the highest difficulty from other dota type mobas I've played though.

Quote Originally Posted by mernie View Post
    cod is most difficult for sure.
    LOL easiest game ever.

Probably strategy and fighting games. Fighting games require an awesome reaction time, and strategy games require good judgement + fast micro. One could add FPSs, but all i see there is good aiming, probably 'cause i'm not very much into them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pweaks View Post
    yes, very true, though I think SCII is much more strenuous. HoN is relatively easy, there's not much "reflex" or "skill" involved, it's mainly knowing what to do, at what time. where as SCII and Quake, you need to react insanely fast, and counter things / and change your pace of mind in an instant. In HoN, you just have to know what to do, in certain scenarios. Nothing is really too difficult (skillwise), as noted by how Oph players are regarded as godlike.

SCII You think they're going one build? Completely different after you've scouted them at the 2-5 minute mark, now you have to completely change your mindset about the entirety of your strategy, it's a huge mental breakdown if you can't hang. (Hence, why no one in SCII goes around saying they "could" be diamond league or grand master (1700-2000mmr in HoN)), because at a point, you WILL be aware of what YOUR capabilities are as a human. And you will know when you've reached YOUR cap in SCII. It's a let down for some, most even. But it's a much needed wake up call as well. Don't even get me started on muscle memory / reaction / mindgames in Quake. In HoN, people can always blame team mates, and never truly realize just how low THEIR skill cap is. And thus, they're never truly "awakened". It's sad, but it's also just human nature. Some are born mediocre, most actually. Where as only few are born truly superior. Or you can argue that they were raised that way as children. Either way, some people are able to reach level 100, where as most, can only dream of even hitting 70.
    Last edited by chibidood; 07-25-2012 at 09:54 AM.
    Wit Love,
    From Swede

HAHAHAHAHA Moba highest skill cap???

The only reason it is tough for you is because you don't know all the heroes.

MoBAs take almost literally 0 skill, almost all "don't play stupid"

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Pweaks View Post
    Sc2 yes , quake no . only why Quake is not skill game because there r more difficult and similar games such as Warsow

Why don't the people laughing at the OP have 2000mmr?

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Yes, the learning curve of a 100+ hero moba game is probably higher then Unreal/Quake.

But there are some other game genres that have high skill caps, first one that comes to mind is strategy (C&Cs/Starcraft etc)

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    just a small example how Korean pro gamers play Starcraft/2
    http://youtu.be/lwFM0Lk3ZvA?t=5m26s

They have their own television channel (serveral actually) in Korea and they make tons of money.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    SC2 (any RTS but SC2 is the hardest imo) is the hardest to be uber high tier and compete for $. Mostly because it is 1v1 game (if played in higher tiers) , so u can't climb up on your team mates. And you need to change ur tactic like every few minutes push now makes this units now , oke I push so i should expand here. And most of all the uber Macroïing where u got to be born with or like train on it(like koreans do) for at least 5 years...

I started SC2 like 2 weeks ago and well played alot more RTS in past(on tournament level) I am teaching it pretty fast and allready in silver/gold but don't think will be a real good player there just because of the Marcroïng once I have made more then 3 bases and wanna make a little push(or when I harras with flying units 5 minutes into the game) I stand like still in main base for way to long since I can't macro that hard =( And kinda stuck on 1 Zerg tactic now wich is fast 2nd expansion and rush flying mutalisks and backdoor to destroy there eco.

For HON , well it is the hardest MOBA atm imo , since u need to denie pull stack ward counter ward wich brings way more on the table then LoL (never saw high tier LoL playing though but just judging what I saw in pubs (barely any wards) in a bit over avarage pubs(so like 1600/1700) while in HoN there are like allways wards. And the Lock picking and more heroes makes it posably harder then Dota 2 but no idea since all the matches I played there had at least 3 ppl who never played Moba before and at least 4 or 5 leavers =/

But for the hole MOBA scene I think it is 2nd hardest since u need some macroïng with some heroes wich I sck in but yeah there are lots of tactics to choose from and decisions to be made every seccond. But still feel like any 1600/1700 can be placed in a pro team and still do a decent job , when u know the basics(every hero skill and ward spots and how to pull/stack and what item to buy vs who(like armor vs phy dmg heroes or a vestment if getting nuked) then you are allready halfway the competetive scene.

For shooters , well I think it has like barely any skill , when I was 12 I was allready considered a pro CoD2 player and later on even won some smaller dutch lans with mostly CoD4. It is pretty damn easy. But yeah who gives a fck about PC shooters now anyway =S. They raped us by giving us for PS3/xbox created games without dedicated servers. So yeah fck FPS don't feel like pubstomping 24/7 and be called a hacker =/

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDaebak View Post
    just a small example how Korean pro gamers play Starcraft/2
    http://youtu.be/lwFM0Lk3ZvA?t=5m26s

They have their own television channel (serveral actually) in Korea and they make tons of money.
    Funny how u post Ret wich is a Dutch guy...

I agree with OP. I feel most posters in here don't realize the depth of HoN/DotA. And I especially think HoN requires the most skill as the speed makes the precision needed really hard to nail as well as teamfights being so chaotic leads many to get lost and have no idea what they're looking at. If you lose track of what's happening for HALF A SECOND as a key hero you can lose a whole teamfight or even game. HoN is loaded with dodgeable/conditional skills, counters, and heroes near or at 522 ms, not to mention the ridiculous amount of (semi)blinks. I used to play mainly fighting games (and quick ones too, like Guilty Gear) before HoN and I feel the speed/reaction time needed in HoN is almost the same, but with other factors being much more deep/difficult.
    I am required to chill, so I chill.

They have a good mix of strategy and hand eye co-ordination, throw in reflexes and you've got yourself HoN.
    A wonderful thanks to Excyis and mygeL for this op sig!

StarCraft

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast