Regarding another week of "All non-EA heroes will be available for play in the Free Hero Pool" I got a pretty nice idea regarding the general idea behind the Free Hero Pool.
It's a system where both F2P-players and S2 benefit from.
F2P players shall have access to all heroes, but S2 needs to have advantages aswell. My system may be the best solutions for all sides.
Why should F2P players have access to all heroes?
There are either many F2P players out there, who just didn't know about HoN at all, before it got f2p or players playing LoL f2p, while they had to purchase HoN.
Well or simply people, who don't like to pay for free to play-games, but more for that later.
Regarding the uprising competion in the MOBA-genre and Dota2 in particular, Dota2 will offer all heroes for free in its hero pool. There won't be many reasons left to play HoN instead one of its competitors game, if you don't love HoN for its meta-game.
How should the new system work and how will everyone benefit from it?
It's a really simple idea, many people may remember it from Team Fortress 2. It should work like this:
1. You purchase Goblin Coins (10$ or 30$, don't know what would suit best).
2. Right after your purchase, you get coins and your account is upgraded to Premium status.
3. Premium status gives you full access to the hero pool (no-EA), just like a legacy account.
The current system should remain. You can view at as a trial-system, if people really don't want to pay for the game: Do it with Silver Coins.
Pros for F2P players:
- If they really want to play the game it shouldn't hurt to make a purchase for a game they will learn to love and hate and spend dozens of time on it
- They aren't left behind all the other players, because of the better access to the game. They'll learn more about all heroes, which creates a better experience for everyone
Pros for S2:
- It will encourage new players to not sit entirely on the f2p system and get their first real glimpse on the Shop, so they will buy avatars and stuff too.
- Players who really care about the game will be rewarded, while S2 can make profit
Cons for S2:
- (If it is possible to unlock the whole hero pool with one purchase, the hero purchases are more or less dropped. I don't know if many f2p players paid for their heroes with gold coins (no EA-heroes) and I don't think so anyway. Only S2 knows if it would be really a con-argument.)?
Pros for all players:
- If people are stuck with a certain amount of heroes, they will also stick with certain heroes. Unexperienced players are most likely attracted by heroes like , or , which results in bad game experiences overall. When they get access to all heroes, we might see some diversity.
"I'm legacy and I don't approve of this!"
- S2 would need to compensate Legacy players with a special gift (30$ coin pack, legacy avatar, or something that would make everyone happy)
- Why shouldn't f2p players get treated the same way you are? You paid 10 or 30$ and they are willing to pay money as well. It wouldn't be unfair at all
- F2P players will get familiar quickly with the whole hero pool, which results in a better game experience for everyone!
tl;dr: Purchase Goblin Coins for x$ and get premium status with access to all non-EA heroes.
PS. If you vote for no, it would be only fair to give a short statement, why you are against the idea. It shall be no "Legacy hate on F2P"-vote.
This isn't a new suggestion, it's just going back to the old system... If I read correctly.
And can you send me the link to the suggestion (if there was a similiar one)?
Also when we get this suggestion in Tier 1, S2 will think about it and it may become an option in the near future.
EDIT: PS. it doesn't mean, EVERYONE should get the complete hero pool, only those who are willing to pay.
Also you shall not pay for an upgrade in particular, but generally unlock the "upgrade" by purchasing coins.
srry man i dont really like this idea cuz 1 special alt avatar aint ganna cut it if this game goes f2p with all the heros cuz their will be more smurfs making f2p accts and so on also the fact that 15+ is enough as it is if they want the whole hero pool let them w8 again for xmas time and if this did happen i would honestly feel so ripped off
1. I never said that 1 avatar should be substitute for our current legacy status, it was just the first idea that came into my mind, maybe a bad one, but it is just an idea.
2. What's wrong with smurfs on f2p accounts paying for the game? Read again: They have to pay, to get the whole hero pool!
If the system would affect smurfs at all, it would rather discourage them, since they don't want to pay for a smurf account.
3. Since S2 more or less sold the hero pool as it is at christmas, means it's nothing that vague anymore. And why do you feel ripped off? You paid 30 (or maybe even 10$) for this game and now got the whole hero pool. People had to pay 10$ for the whole hero pool (and they didn't even get all new ones which came from EA).
ok if it's like this then i think it might be a good idea,it's almost like before in the end.
so thinking about it...ye it's late and i'm tired so sorry for the brainless no vote.
and anyway there should be a gold conis refund for at least half of the original price if this goes thru
Last edited by kingdomlord; 07-13-2012 at 09:37 PM.
I think it's a good idea tho it's already established I still can access all heros even after the 13th O_O
Guess we have to wait for S2 to make their move, but it would be already sufficient when they take a look at this idea.
They can't do this now , there might be players who purchased 100 $ on goldcoins with a "f2p'' account to purchase all heroes 1 by 1. Well you also give him all the heroes now and wich are comming(exapt EA) like legacy (everybody who once bought coins goes legacy). What are u going to say to that guy? Here is all your coins back + double it wont even be enough , since he can say I don't care about stupid avatars I wanted to unlock all heroes and play them... A 10 $ all hero discount this christmas allready made alot people mad I believe , but that is a sale so u can't sue them for having a sale.
But changing the complete policy from day to day can make people sue S2.
For instances some1 now hears about hon for the first time and loves the game decides to buy 80 $ coins and buy all the heroes he think are fun. Then suddenly next friday the change the policy to this system. Not sure what S2 has in there policy about allowing them to change whatever they want whenever they want without being able to refund any purchase of coins... But that guy realy has the right to be freaking mad at s2 and bomb there newmade office..
Just like you said, there was already the christmas offer. Last week there was the GameHoN week, where they gave stuff away for "free", for which most people paid for.
There are games e.g. Aion, several people bought the game to be able to play it. Now it is free 2 play!
Unfortunately there have to be some people, that are disadvantaged by certain changes.
And while I doubt that there are many players, who purchased heroes with Gold Coins (at least I never heard of those), S2's mission is to find the perfect system for a stable business and a great game. The competition is growing, Dota2 is approaching towards its Open Beta or Release. Dota2 will have a free hero pool from the start, if S2 won't make a good decision with their business system (and I really think that they make the least money from f2p heroes) HoN will mostly likely take a huge loss in player numbers.
And just to your note: S2 plans/planned to start a f2p system with 30 fix heros, people who already bought these heroes should get their coins back.
It's S2's job to find the best solution for everyone, or at least the most of us, it's common sense, that not everyone can be convinced.
why would S2 do this ? they will eventually lose money to it, S2 is a business and they need to earn money.
yes, maybe they will earn a little bit more the first 2 months this is included, but afterward they will start dropping since people have more then 1 account with all heroes.
I would just consider, that selling heroes currently isn't that big of a money machine for S2. I think most hero purchases are made via silver coins or were done already at the christmas special.
Let's say S2 would make this system, so that you get "Premium" after a 30$ purchase. This offer already would attract many customers, since they want all heroes. That would even fit to everyone, who just wanted to play the game as f2p <- not investing any money at all. Resulting already in good money for S2.
People who spend money on a game, are also more likely to make further purchases. Since they got now every hero, they can spend the money, like everyone else, on new EA heroes or avatars.
This is just a thesis on the behaviour of the players, S2 should know best how people tend to spend their money on HoN.
But, with your argumentation, you would most likely say, that S2 doesn't get money from Legacy players either. And I think that's not true, since only we can spend our money just on plain avatars, since we don't have to get anymore heroes.
I hope you get my point.
Sounds like a good idea to me, the premium account model has been proven successful before and has even brought many "dead" MMOs back to life by essentially allowing new players the option to "try" the game out for as long as they want.
Also for people that never want to spend any money, they could still unlock heroes with silver coins. S2 stated they made a tactical decision to go F2P to increase the playerbase, the premium account model serves this purpose as well without many of the problems the current F2P model has.
Last edited by dpunk; 07-17-2012 at 08:08 AM.
or they can just respect that thread from april with 30 static pool+refund of gold+silvers.maybe an option to buy all non-EA heroes too.