Thread: Shadowblade

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol

Shadowblade

This hero has been speculated with a lot and I've seen loads of different item builds. The same problem seems to have arisen each time though. He seems to need as much farm as , but is easier to gank and does not carry as hard.

HOWEVER, this new build I'm trying out is so far sending me on a winning spree, and it's working out extremely well. It's basic idea is that "600 range and strength? Now that's OP".

Start: Varies as usual. For mid I went and rushed bottle by getting E first, I don't think anyone hits as hard as from 600 range at lvl 1, except maybe arachna with aura. Sidelane has been
    Laning: This is just the same as the most used guide, with the possible addition of
    Core: This is where things get interesting, because lo and behold first item

Reasoning: The earlier you get this item the stronger it is. The only downside of this item is generally that you take so much damage using it, and you basically have to be strength to use it effectivaly which means that you are gonna be close combat. Shadowblade solves this in two ways:

1: His Q makes him extremely tank, and with a good str hero (which you need btw since you are gonna try to be str always) you will get a lot of hp fast.
    2: With E, he is also 600 range.

We later get // and go on into ///, basically anything that gives strength since it's ALL YOU NEED. Having an ally stack strength too really helps, with this 40 cap gone you don't need much gear on an ally to harvest 50-60 plus strength.

is ranged and str, but he's been nerfed both armor wise and gain wise and doesn't have 600 range.
    needs a pk to be able to jump people, and he never reaches 600 range either.

600 range strength is awesome and it's working out really well. On top of this is just a difficult hero to play but becomes really effective if you use all his skills correctly. Examples:

Use E to gain vision uphill and then charge them with W
    Use W and STAY IN THIS FORM if noone is near to hurt you back. W gives you ms, and DAMAGE for 5 sec. If you can wait with your Q until these 5 secs are over you have used your spells to the max.
    You can use W on your self to gain ms to escape.
    Don't always go ult on lvl 6. It doesn't give that much, and if you are not up against strength on your lane and feel that you aren't gonna leave anytime soon, maxing out Q and W is better for burst damage.

<3

^hey someone gets it!

I wouldn't rush Insan and I'd just go straight to Icebrand+Shrunken->FWS but that's me, otherwise I fully endorse above post

brb looking for int hero to ult so I can feed

edit:
    Use W and STAY IN THIS FORM if noone is near to hurt you back. W gives you ms, and DAMAGE for 5 sec. If you can wait with your Q until these 5 secs are over you have used your spells to the max.
    keep in mind that even if you use Q early you will still retain the damage boost from W for the full 5 seconds, but you do lose the movespeed boost if used early. just throwing that out there cuz lots of people don't realize you still keep the damage boost even if you change forms early, so it's OKAY to use Q early
    Last edited by PrestonLee; 06-26-2012 at 07:31 PM.
    -

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    I like how you are agreeing to something I'm definately not saying. Do not ult for int, ult for strength! This is why insanitarius is good on him. The hp you get from strength ult and the extra damage insanitarius gives, which feels completely broken on a 600 ranged hero, is what makes this hero viable which he imo has not been.

the ulting int was a joke I fully agree with ulting strength heroes all the way.

and while I like Insan as an item, Shadow isn't a hero I like it on. but again, that's just me. it's good but I'd rather get other items on him. Like I said in previous post namely an earlier Icebrand/Shrunken into a rushed FWS, with a Gravelocket or Tablet before that.

You might be saying "what? Tablet?" but it's quite damn good on a Shadowblade mid, especially since his skills encourage him to gank earlier on and he gets more damage in his ranged form (E) from int. Tablet makes his earlier game even stronger and gives him nice utility to get him out of sticky situations.

Shadowblade is my most played hero on my alternate account PresLee so yeah.
    Last edited by PrestonLee; 06-26-2012 at 08:45 PM.
    -

Hmm insantarius on Shadow, i'll give it a try. I'm glad some people see Shadowblade as a good hero and not trash tier, people just need to learn that he isn't a int carry..lol. As for me lately I been playing him like so http://www.heroesofnewerth.com/heroe...php?gid=174621 the starting items and skill build situational of course.

Power supply + gravelocket towards geobane and hellflower.
    3D portfolio & HONiversay runner up winner video -> here
    Item suggestion Need critism -> here

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    I really don't like splitting the attention between stats as your build does Chronomical`. Ring of the teacher is fine though, mainly because that item is so good anyway, but I don't know about the hellflower.

Well, it's in his nature to be able to take on whatever role is necessary. Say the enemy has a doctor repuslor, then of course he go get stuff like hellflower into nullstone/sheepstick.

I wouldn't say that post is too construcive uroefl. Yes I know he can use Q -> geometers to have 3 ranged forms, but I am yet to find it effective.

I would have thought Shadow Blade was dependant on what heroes are playing and which heroes is building in what way; Ult is dependant on the power of other heroes.

So you wouldn't always build him the same way in a more extreme way of how other heroes would build.
    I do commissions for drawings/paintings/digital art. My profile is at http://scw55.deviantart.com
    Suggestion: Assists for effective heals; Accursed solution: http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/sh...ffective-Heals

Melee Agility Support Initiator: http://dream.heroesofnewerth.com/hero/Sherwood/Loki
    Ranged Strength Support Initiator: http://dream.heroesofnewerth.com/hero/Sherwood/Drone
    Pusher/Support with potential global presence: http://dream.heroesofnewerth.com/her...ood/Luminarium

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Of course not, and this goes for all heroes. However the critera for the insanitarius rush to work aren't that many, basically all you need is one strength hero in the game.

One strength hero who is stacking Strength would be preferable?

Surely the best use of the ultimate would be on a Carry who will be stacking their main stat? Usually an Agility. I would imagine Insaniterious would still work there, I just feel like some posters have tunnel sight set on Strength Mode Only. Given there's no cap on the Ult now, there's no excuse for being content with just 40 stat points.
    I do commissions for drawings/paintings/digital art. My profile is at http://scw55.deviantart.com
    Suggestion: Assists for effective heals; Accursed solution: http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/sh...ffective-Heals

Melee Agility Support Initiator: http://dream.heroesofnewerth.com/hero/Sherwood/Loki
    Ranged Strength Support Initiator: http://dream.heroesofnewerth.com/hero/Sherwood/Drone
    Pusher/Support with potential global presence: http://dream.heroesofnewerth.com/her...ood/Luminarium

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Devourer?

shadowblade is quite funny in midwars against devo's

my highest additional strenghtgain was around 160+, the targeted devo was an idiot who got 4 hearts and over 8k hp (who needs armor ~~)

in such a case, with few dps items (critshards+breastplate) you can have a lot of fun (although only in midwars).

on normal games you should give hellflower a try, even if you use primary the additonal strenght main stat. gives you all the mana you will ever need and improves his farm greatly.

Actually I like building shadowblade a bit tanky, while using his ult on either an agility carry or intelligence hero depending which route you want to take.
    Hotbl + mystic vestments, wingbow and shieldbreaker really did it for me once.
    3D portfolio & HONiversay runner up winner video -> here
    Item suggestion Need critism -> here

Quote Originally Posted by Ackwell1 View Post
    Devourer?
    Blacksmith?

I just realized that the ult steals not the Largest attribute but the PRIMARY attribute.

Not BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post

Surely the best use of the ultimate would be on a Carry who will be stacking their main stat? Usually an Agility. I would imagine Insaniterious would still work there, I just feel like some posters have tunnel sight set on Strength Mode Only. Given there's no cap on the Ult now, there's no excuse for being content with just 40 stat points.
    I definitely don't tunnel vision my build on Strength mode, when it gets really late game you're free to use whatever mode you want depending on what items you get: Intelligence = more raw damage, Agility = insane attack speed and armor, and strength = more survivability obviously. Getting a Genjuro on Shadowblade makes ulting yourself for huge agi later on very viable and coupled with items like Shrunken+(Frostburn/FWS+Geos) or Symbol makes Shadowblade a complete monster.

but yes for early game purposes, strength attribute is going to be the best the majority of the time because that extra health along with the bonus armor you're getting from your Q form amounts to a HUGE difference in survivability.

On another note Hotbl is REALLY subpar on him and I don't get why people LOVE it on him, it really isn't needed because his survivability in Q is already huge and it just slows your farm down and hinders your damage potential. If you want survivability just grab more strength items earlier (Icebrand, Insanitarius, Shrunken, Blessed Orbs, etc.).

Going back to Insanitarius, the reason I don't like it on him because it makes him less flexible later on in the game when you MIGHT want to change your attribute.. then your Insanitarius changes from huge damage to just a survivability item (that makes your health tick down faster). It's a great item IF you plan on staying Strength attribute throughout the entire game but you're putting all your beans in one bag so to speak.

tl;dr - I completely agree Shadowblade isn't only limited to doing well in Strength attribute, but Strength form is for the most part best until you've gotten your late game items. imho Genjuro at the bare minimum for agi, and Hellflower for attack speed with Int.
    Last edited by PrestonLee; 07-02-2012 at 11:32 AM.
    -