Thread: The Two Words That Will Boost Your MMR

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Account Icon
    Chat Symbol

The Two Words That Will Boost Your MMR

**DISCLAIMER: This is written to appeal to 1600 MMR and below, but the content applies to all MMR levels**

As the title says, there are two simple words that WILL boost your MMR if you live by them. For the past few months that I have been frequenting this Forum and Strategy forums, I see a constant influx of "How can I win if mah team so bad," "Why my team all noobs," and "How do I get my MMR higher" threads.

Ultimately, no team is perfect by design. Especially in solo-queue. Your team will be noobs, wannabe smurfs, tryhards, failhards, "my stats so low cause I support", trolls, griefers, feeders, and butthole ninjas. True story though, so's the other team.

Until a certain point of competitive teamplay or top-tier MMR and In-House Leagues, Matchmaking games are FAR more likely to be decided by the number and extent of mistakes made than by great plays. The ability to capitalize on mistakes puts your team WAY ahead of the opposition. Allow me to reiterate, "WAAAAAY AHEAD."

That being said, the two words that WILL win you games and MMR are simply, "Communication" and "Teamwork."

Now, I understand that this has been stated over and over again ad nauseum. I understand that you all may have read this in several threads and you may be thinking, "Yea, I got it.... but mah team soooo stupid and dey no listen to meh!" If you are thinking this for even a fraction of a second, then, I regret to inform you, but you don't understand. So, allow me to explain the difference between ORDERING, LISTENING and COMMUNICATION.

Abandon all trolling, ye who enter here...

For proper communication, you need to first understand that you are not God. Your way doesn't go because you say it does. You can only effectively communicate if you understand a few things:

Your team does not play like you do
    Your team does not have the same hero as you and cannot do what you can
    Each teammate is NOT as skilled as you, in fact, they may be significantly MORE skilled than you
    Your team does not have the same tolerance for punishment as you may. They may want to concede before the game is over
    Your team may not understand English as well as you OR *GASP* they might not have sound/microphone.

ALL of these things need to be taken into consideration before you can lead your team to victory. You need to maintain a positive attitude and LEAD your team. No one plays video games to be harassed or threatened. NO ONE DOES ANYTHING TO FEEL HARASSED OR THREATENED. You speak TO your teammates, not AT them.

"I want to win" does not constitute a positive attitude. You need to be able to find the positives on your team and exploit them. Let your team know why something that seems bad is actually good. For instance, you have a Keeper of the Forest who is not helping in teamfights like he should and has been pretty much only farming for 20+ minutes. Chances are, your team will blame him for a death or a bad fight. In most regards, this may have been his fault for not being there, but how can that be seen as a positive? Answer? You have one of the tankiest, best teamfight, strongest push heroes in the game FREEFARMING. Tell your team that "It's fine. He's gonna rape lategame. Let's just pick smart fights until he's ready to push."

Let's look at what that statement just told your team: You have just assured your team that you can win lategame. You have reinforced to Keeper that he is a viable member of the team. Bottom line, you have restored hope in one simple statement. You have shed a positive light on what is generally considered a negative.

How about another scenario that we have all seen and will never cease to see (sadly): Your team has one guy who is desperately trying to support, though he may not fully know how. One of your teammates gets ganked and blames a lack of wards even though you know for a fact that your support has been warding. We all know what happens next, right? The supporter gets pissed off and doesn't want to help ward any more because he's not being appreciated for his efforts. Then, the less he wards, the more the jackass who keeps getting caught out will flame him. What do you say here? You have to keep the team unified to win, right? You have several options, you can agree with the guy that got ganked and tell the support to ward more which will only make him feel more ganged up on and he'll likely disconnect or AFK in well. You can agree with the support and tell the jackass with no awareness that he's a jackass with no awareness. OR, Option 3, you can say something along the lines of, "Hey, you probably shouldn't have been that far out without wards, but [SupportPlayer] has been warding most of the game. You should farm over here when you respawn since it's safer. I'll grab the next few wards."

Right there, you have given sound advice WITH an alternative course of action so he will be harder to gank in the future. You have reinforced that your support player is a valuable member of the team and offered to lightened his burden for a while so he can get some items and farm.

Thinking positive and relaying that attitude to your team will inspire them to work together toward a common goal. Every player looks at this game from a different perspective. Some people watch Honcast a couple times and think they are the next N0tail. Some people don't have a freaking clue what Honcast is. Whatever the case, you're all in the game together and you all want to win. Leadership isn't about knowing what to do or how to be better at something than everyone else, it's about knowing how to get your team to work together and how to use their strengths and weaknesses to the greatest extent possible to accomplish your goals.

Next time your team fails at something just remember what your father or your coaches used to say when you failed at something as a kid. They'd pat you on the back and say, "don't worry, you'll get 'em next time, buddy." Take this attitude into Newerth with you, leave the flame at the door, and watch the wins pile up.

Understand that for this to work effectively, you'll need to use your mic constantly. You need to be the loudest (in content, not volume), most consistent, most positive, and most influential voice on your team. If someone says something negative or is starting to lose hope, you need to speak up and reassure and reaffirm your team. Twist the negatives into positives and, the best part of this, after a certain point, your team will follow you without a second thought.
    Last edited by Jenova26; 05-03-2012 at 02:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodTzimisce View Post
    Well I was and two friends on MM and other aviation 3 friends on the other team ... he guesses all cartoons of the rampage and still warns his team who the hell in charge, and when you buy in the blink he uses PK fog giving stun allyados mine
    www.itsgosu.com

My Hero Guides

I've fully read your article, I don't have much to add to it beside saying that I totally agree with you and yes, teamwork and communication is what can turn a game into victory... specially in the lower MMR bracket where most team are not so cordinated and tend to fail to respond to each other in due time. Anyway, thumbs up for this awesome well written article! Hope that people ready it and learn from it! It would help so much to keep things light rather than turning it into a flame fest.

Now that you've stated the obvious; seriously, how are people supposed to get to the MMR they want if they play by your guide? how can they expect to be high as testie without a raging attitude, how can they expect to stomp everygame? ohh that's right, testie never solo's. I bet he's **** without a team. Implied point? You need a group of mates to get where you want to be. "faster" that is.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    I couldnt find 2 words...

Solid read, mirrors much of my own thought of late.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhayne View Post
    how are people supposed to get to the MMR they want if they play by your guide?
    Following the guide = reduced flaming/positive attitude > less tilted team > less mistakes made > better chance of winning.
    Following the guide = providing leadership for your team > better team co-ordination > better plays made > better chance of winning.

ohh that's right, testie never solo's. I bet he's **** without a team. Implied point? You need a group of mates to get where you want to be. "faster" that is.
    This is only true if you and your friends lack the ability to work with strangers, and have an MMR below your skill level due to that. If you watch Testie's stream he actually exemplifies a lot of the points in this article in the way he communicates with his pubs - he provides decent leadership and doesn't flame.

Map. Awareness.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Now that you've stated the obvious; seriously, how are people supposed to get to the MMR they want if they play by your guide? how can they expect to be high as testie without a raging attitude, how can they expect to stomp everygame? ohh that's right, testie never solo's. I bet he's **** without a team. Implied point? You need a group of mates to get where you want to be. "faster" that is.
    Apparently this is now an "I hate Testie" thread? Also, what Testie does is much harder than solo'ing. He has paying customers play with him. Most are 1400-1600 players. When he 5-locks with them, there is a 99.9% chance that he will be versing another 5-lock of friends who play together often. The more players you queue with, the more coordinated your enemy will be.

And nothing in this guide will get you as high in skill as Testie. That's simply ridiculous. To get as good as Testie, here's what you need to do:

- Play competitive Starcraft:BroodWar for a few years,
    - Get ridiculously good and be one of the top rated NA players
    - Switch to HoN
    - Play 15 hours a day
    - Use your SCBW contacts to introduce you to top DotA players who also moved to HoN
    - Play with them constantly and learn what they know
    - Join one of the top competitive teams and play tons of IHLs

Did you, sir, do any of the above? I'm guessing the answer is "no". Don't act like the guy didn't earn the talent he has. He isn't argued to be one of the best carry players in the world "because he queues with 5."
    Well I was and two friends on MM and other aviation 3 friends on the other team ... he guesses all cartoons of the rampage and still warns his team who the hell in charge, and when you buy in the blink he uses PK fog giving stun allyados mine
    www.itsgosu.com

My Hero Guides

Quote Originally Posted by Jenova26 View Post
    Apparently this is now an "I hate Testie" thread? Also, what Testie does is much harder than solo'ing. He has paying customers play with him. Most are 1400-1600 players. When he 5-locks with them, there is a 99.9% chance that he will be versing another 5-lock of friends who play together often. The more players you queue with, the more coordinated your enemy will be.

And nothing in this guide will get you as high in skill as Testie. That's simply ridiculous. To get as good as Testie, here's what you need to do:

- Play competitive Starcraft:BroodWar for a few years,
    - Get ridiculously good and be one of the top rated NA players
    - Switch to HoN
    - Play 15 hours a day
    - Use your SCBW contacts to introduce you to top DotA players who also moved to HoN
    - Play with them constantly and learn what they know
    - Join one of the top competitive teams and play tons of IHLs

Did you, sir, do any of the above? I'm guessing the answer is "no". Don't act like the guy didn't earn the talent he has. He isn't argued to be one of the best carry players in the world "because he queues with 5."
    Smackdown?

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    I came here expecting "solo mid", but yet I got a detailed and insightful guide. What gives?
    When I was younger I had an imaginary friend.
    Now, with internet gaming, I have hundreds of imaginary friends.

-American proverb

testie used to solo q around top 20 before (think he got to 2050 mmr pre compression) solo q.
    he would with ez solo q to 1850, but when he playes with his friends/custommers he usually is around 16-1700. when i play solo im around 1700-1750, when i play with friends im around 1600, dno what ur point is.

If you wanna win do like this guy says. If you wanna be better then you do it like me and flame/rage/blame so you have to play MUCH BETTER to win instead of relying on good teamplay. That way you will get better faster :P

Quote Originally Posted by MacroHard View Post
    I came here expecting "solo mid", but yet I got a detailed and insightful guide. What gives?
    If it would make you feel more at home, I could insult you for only playing casual mode? Just say the word.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by MacroHard View Post
    Trolling by being a pompous, elitist ***hole is too mainstream. I decided to go a different route.
    www.itsgosu.com

My Hero Guides

Nice guide, but useless.

1. Most of the people who SHOULD read and follow it, wont read it.
    2. there seem to be so ****ing many trolls out there, it wont help anyway.

i had a game 1 hour ago where i bought over 15 wards, im sure it was even more and our rampage (mid) got ganked and blamed me for not putting up wards. then he and our fade started to dive 1on3 the whole time until we lost the game.

and when i told them ill report that behaviour, they just loughed their asses off.

sorry, i really buy always wards, no matter which hero i play, i have good mapawareness and call out all misses on voice or chat.
    but im pretty sure i lose most of my games due to whiny ********ed idiots who just wont listen, no matter what you do.

again - nice guide, but im sure the world (of hon) will not get better with it.
    too many idiots on their way to destruction.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Suleika View Post
    Nice guide, but useless.

1. Most of the people who SHOULD read and follow it, wont read it.
    2. there seem to be so ****ing many trolls out there, it wont help anyway.

i had a game 1 hour ago where i bought over 15 wards, im sure it was even more and our rampage (mid) got ganked and blamed me for not putting up wards. then he and our fade started to dive 1on3 the whole time until we lost the game.

and when i told them ill report that behaviour, they just loughed their asses off.

sorry, i really buy always wards, no matter which hero i play, i have good mapawareness and call out all misses on voice or chat.
    but im pretty sure i lose most of my games due to whiny ********ed idiots who just wont listen, no matter what you do.

again - nice guide, but im sure the world (of hon) will not get better with it.
    too many idiots on their way to destruction.
    Useless? No. The example you gave is the exact reason why this isn't useless. You're actually confirming my theory. You lost a game because your team was working against each other, were flaming each other and refusing to cooperate. Your team did NOT use teamwork and cooperation.

What my point in the original post is is that you have to inspire your team to communicate and work together from the very start. Simple things like letting your team know what your doing or thanking someone for helping you. FROM THE START. Perhaps I should have included the from the start bit, but if you let the atmosphere of the game turn negative, then it will not recover. Time and time again this has been proven in practice. You have to actually work to foster an environment in your game where your team wants to work together. You are FAR less likely to get flamed if you are being mannered and helpful.

When someone flames at you, you have to keep your cool and find the positive spin. There always is one.

Unfortunately, as in your case, sometimes you can't influence people and get them to work together. Some people just want to watch the world burn. Just /banlist and /ignore them and move on to the next game.

The point is though, how helpful did you feel getting raged at like that? How confident did you feel in the outcome of the game after that? I assume it was something along the lines of "F*** it, this game is over. We lose." When YOU rage at other people, they feel the same way. You CAN'T win games like that. The second you flame one person ONE TIME, you have lost ALL hope of being a positive influence on the game. You have to keep your cool and keep at it. Trust me, it does work. Not all the time, but most of the time.
    www.itsgosu.com

My Hero Guides

No matter what i did, they just didnt want to listen.

often i cant stay cool, i just have to say: ok, **** it - its just over with these kind of ppl.
    i had ppl i my games who raged from the start because our blue player banned their hero which they wanted to pick. instead of just picking another one, they just went on rage mode. there was NO WAY we could turn that around.

my point is: you are right, i always try to be a good teamplayer because i know that i am not a good solo player at all (maybe its the age, maybe im just untalented ).
    i know your theory works because i did the same thing in world of warcraft when i was a rbg-teamleader. i knew not everyone on our team was super-duper-mega skilled, but that didnt matter. i knew how to talk to my ppl and i knew how to TEAMPLAY and raise their moral when everything seemed to be getting worse and worse.

all of those things didnt matter, because i knew how important teamplay was und how to LEAD my team to victory and they always listened to me.
    so we got from under 2k mmr to 2,4k by just working together really good and we beat some pretty hard teams who were peaking at 2,6k mmr.

i was proud of that because i knew that it worked and i was happy because my teammates knew: when we do what leika says, we will be victorious.

here in hon its different, when i solo queue or play with 1-2 friends and we have a kind of winning streak of 3-4 games, then all of a sudden one of these stupid trolls or idiots show up on our team who just lose the game by simply trolling or feeding or refusing to listen AT ALL. when everything goes right, theres ALWAYS this one day where the retards keep coming and i lose about everything i have won.

so i am stuck at 1,500 again
    i know ofc i could do better but i know i have improved since my last time playing, but im still a better TEAMplayer and support player than carry. i just cant carry. i am reliant on good carry players or good teamplay in general. dont want to blame others for me being stuck, but thats how it feels atm. as i said, i know you are right and i know it works by my own experience in wow, but its different in hon. too many stupids with attitudes ...

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Yea, it's frustrating. But you just have to keep at it and improving your own game. Keep the positive attitude going and as you get better, you'll get better at leading your team. The better you know the basics, the better you can lead them. Unfortunately, 1500 is really difficult since it is the starting MMR, so you'll get 750 MMR quality players up to 1950 MMR quality players. You just have to keep focused and don't lose your attitude. Once you make it to 1550, it starts to clear up a bit and players start to function on a more predictable level.
    www.itsgosu.com

My Hero Guides

yeah sure - that "just keep going" argument doesnt really work well.

had 2 games in a row now which were so horrible, that i had to leave. and i almost never leave. i have a 1,5% leave at MM at 330 games.
    nymphora decided to not ward (got owned by mid then) and take my farm (i was pesti) and then tell me, that she is taking my farm cause im missing O_o this is so ****ed up. are there only imbeciles on this ****ing planet?

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Hey man, it's not impossible, though it may seem like it sometimes. If you want some help in refining your playstyle so you can move out of the bracket you're in, then I'd like to suggest that you try out the Project Epoch training. I was in that clan as a mentor for a while and the people there are extremely active, friendly, and helpful. Or you can add me in game and I'll help you out a bit. I only ask that you have access to Skype if you'd like my help since typing is, imo, an ineffective means to coach a player.
    www.itsgosu.com

My Hero Guides