Thread: Tempest - fastest possible jungling build

Tempest - fastest possible jungling build

I was trying to figure it out for myself for a while - if you wanted to get the most XPM/GPM through the first, say 10 minutes of jungling with tempest, what would be your exact item build order for the best results?

I know in a srs game you need to get courier/cwards and such, I'm intentionally leaving that aside in this thread.

The #1 issue is the fact that Elements cost 180 mana every 35 seconds (assuming spam) which comes out to a little more than 5 mana/sec.

Tempest has the highest INT gain in the game (I think?) but that only has impact at later levels and some +% mana reg.

The early game sources of mana that can handle this load are
    1) mana pots
    2) chalice (~3 mana/sec to self)
    3) ring of sorcery (+6 INT, ~3 mana/sec to self and +300 mana)

Some things that help a little
    1) Ring of the teacher (+0.65 mana/sec)
    2) INT items
    3) Manatube (Improves with levels, but isn't good enough early on)

Items that accelerate your jungling rate
    1) Steamboots (+AS and movespeed)
    2) Blights*
    3) anything with +INT incl. Talisman part for RoS
    4) RotT (+6 damage)

Manatube is only really worth considering in a real game if you need to rush nullstone to use ult (vs. something like Vindicator).

I've tried doing bizarre builds such as going for the +6 INT item and 3 manapots and then dropping the +6 INT while using pots, when done properly it is a bit more efficient than a RotT, but it's only something I would try in hellbourne jungle.

You can make the +6 item into Steamboots and toggle. They also improve your dps slightly.

There are small things you can do at level 8+ like clearing trees with meteor for pull camps to your elementals faster. Otherwise you are limited by the element's terrible movespeed. But that takes even more mana.

You can also use blights for this, but that does cost some gold. I only really bother with blights in legion side jungle for accessing the pullcamp without having to walk around to it.

I feel like I haven't experimented with chalice enough. Maybe the best results are accomplished with a chalice+HP pots? It would be quite dangerous in a real game though.
    :vind: "Proclamation was made, in the King's Name, for all Persons to keep Silence" - House of Lords Journal, Volume 20, 24 June 1717

Whenever I go farmtempest (I should add that succesful ganks help your GPM a lot) I start with an Amulet of Exile and two manapots and rush Ring of Sorcery > Steamboots. Normally I will have the Ring of Sorcery before I run out of manapots but it depends on your camps and if you use mana on a failed gank or not.

Amulet+5pots+courier upgrade is my standard tempest build. Rush Ring of Sorcery+Plated. As soon as you got RoS you can start ganking and pushing all over.

I personally always get Nomes On tempest eventually (+plated greaves). Start off with rott and courier mana pots as needed, first item is always plated greaves, it makes your jungling and pushing sooo much faster when maxing elementals and stacking neutrals.

The easiest way to get the most gpm is different depending on which side you're on. if you're hellbourne you should stick mainly to standing near the easy camp and rotate between stacking the hard camp and medium camp every minute. The key is always making sure the easy camp spawns so you can keep rotating spawns without interruption (make sure no creeps die on spawn after :40)

for legion it's a bit more complex because the distances between camps are much farther so it's harder to reliably stack. You can try to do the same as hellbourne, but I feel it's better to work off staying near the pull and pulling constantly (assuming it isn't warded) while continuously stacking the other two camps above your pull. What you want to do is be double pulling the creepwave to the top-right camp constantly while you stack the top-left hard camp, and when your elementals are strong enough you can just pull out the creep stacks and kill them (position yourself and your elementals so the creeps walk back and forth from their spawns, taking damage while they don't really attack your elementals).

Hellbourne in my opinion has a huge advantage early game for jungling because they just have so many more options (they have access to double pull and their easy camp area is much safer and easier to constantly be stacking medium and hard camps). But as the game goes on to later stages (as the enemy stops warding pull) legion side gets the overwhelming advantage as you get access to triple stacking by meteoring down the trees and just constantly triple stacking and killing

This is half-joke/troll but if you remember that "Art of Tempest" thread in GD, he got a mock to blow his farm up greatly.. It's very easy to do this with tempest and blow your farm up to the 400-500 gpm range, you just need some good regen. Assuming we're playing your everyday stomp where you don't need to be picking up "standard" items like shrunken and refresher to be cool with your team, I always go rott->plated->(portal key, maybe a major totem or psupply before it)->nomes->nullstone. This item set basically takes care of all your mana needs and gives you pretty big survivability/stats on top of it. You can get that mock here and just blow your farm up, or if you're playing a real game then move to shrunken or hellflower/sheep/frostfield/refresher, or a daemonic/puzzlebox if your concentration is on pushing.

My 2 cents, tempest is one of my most played heroes of all-time, only second to Ophelia; I sport a ~65% win rate on both heroes on this account even including when I was still terrible at this game they're both the heroes I'm most experienced at and almost always get 400+ gpm on them because I play them very efficiently. Keep in mind a lot of your gpm is gonna come out of pushing/last-hitting towers the moment you hit 7 though (Max elementals on tempest, w/ plated you have a ****ing mean push on top of a rape gank because elementals do sooo much damage with plated).

but tl;dr on topic - IMHO you just rush plated+nomes while couriering over mana pots as needed (if you're being practical then portal key directly after rott+plated). No need for chalice nor sorcery, it's a waste, and plated+rott/nomes makes your elementals stronger on top of giving you the mana regen you need to be incredibly active without any downtime (keep in mind nomes heals you whenever you use spells). I find this is the most efficient on tempest for all purposes after having played him for two years.
    -

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    The OP literally just told us that some items give mana, some items give less mana and boots are a good item for farming. Did anyone else find this thread pointless?
    Quote Originally Posted by GodTzimisce View Post
    Well I was and two friends on MM and other aviation 3 friends on the other team ... he guesses all cartoons of the rampage and still warns his team who the hell in charge, and when you buy in the blink he uses PK fog giving stun allyados mine
    www.itsgosu.com

My Hero Guides

Chalice is **** when there is RoS. Seriously, the item should have % regen so it scales since it only gives shitty 100 mana unlike Soul Ring. The only saving grace for Chalice is you can split the Scarab out for a few useful items on Tempest.

5 mana pots + 2 wards (seriously, if you dont have both wards bought at the start of every game your just putting your team at a disadvantage) -> first item arcane ring

I usualy get the ingrediants for amulet of the exile but without the recipe.
    Then some mana pots etc, and rush the RoS and go for plated greaves, at that point you basicly need mystic vestments and pushstick before portal key.

start with talisman items without the recipe+3 pots or 5 pots if u buy ward or not > ring > plated > pk > sh > frostfield/sheep/nullstone etc,most of my tempest games (like 70% win ) where i woods and i gank from 2 and our sidelane wins i'll end up with +400 gpm,most of it comes from from towers.ring sorts ur mana problems and is a RIDICULOUSLY OP item

Best tempest build - up korea + 1 ward + 1 mana pot - get a bottle and use korea to refill constantly until you get a PK, then you should proceed to win the game

Quote Originally Posted by DanceOfDeaf View Post
    Best tempest build - up korea + 1 ward + 1 mana pot - get a bottle and use korea to refill constantly until you get a PK, then you should proceed to win the game
    I am pretty sure you can't use the courier to refill your bottle anymore.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Arturo View Post
    I am pretty sure you can't use the courier to refill your bottle anymore.
    You can't.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodTzimisce View Post
    Well I was and two friends on MM and other aviation 3 friends on the other team ... he guesses all cartoons of the rampage and still warns his team who the hell in charge, and when you buy in the blink he uses PK fog giving stun allyados mine
    www.itsgosu.com

My Hero Guides

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    ring of teacher seems to be solid as start item,
    for all new players i would recomend it as the + armor on your elementals will forgive u some micro mistakes

a friend of mine always start with 12 mana pots and rush pk first,
    have nothing against rushed pk, but i guess only mana pots is waste, as u can still deliver mana pots later and get some dmg for your startgold to increas farming speed.

i was wondering about hatchet on tempest,
    like hatchet and some stat items, for maximum autoatack dmg,
    and the ability to kill trees between creepspots (or one additional attack when its off cd)

i am not sure if this is very effective, but wanted to bring in this thought, as it is very uncommonly
    what u guys think about it
    HoN is a great game,
    deal with it.

"If you are sad, stop beeing sad and be awseome instead!"

The build that worked best for me so far is Mark of the Novice + Pretender's Crown + 5 x Mana Potions. If you do this build you should make absolutely sure to not let any minion die and have a proper micro. If done correctly u will be able to get your Ring of Sorcery exactly the moment you have to use your last potion. Afterwards you have sufficent mana to Gang effectively, push towers and I usually have my pk and possibly boots (I like to go steam boots on temp to increase his suvivability) + Mystic Vestments before minute 15 (providing you do not fail your ganks and get at least 1 tower pushed). I usually have 300+ GPM on Temp early - mid game (sometimes exceeding even 400 GPM) but in most cases the GPM is tempering off when getting into late game as you then rather stack the forest for your carry and attend constantly in ganks, which limits your ability to farm. Shrunken before minute 30 (better before minute 25) is a must. Everything you get in addition is pure luxury and actually not necessary

yes Mocca, this build is what I end up doing in most of my games (with the only exception being, if it's a game where I think I should get a null stone to be able to ult - i.e. Vindicator/Andro). This was more of a theoretical question. The 5 mana pots always suffice unless due to a micro fail.
    :vind: "Proclamation was made, in the King's Name, for all Persons to keep Silence" - House of Lords Journal, Volume 20, 24 June 1717

steamboots etc before pk is very very good on the build called Bad Tempest

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexorian View Post
    steamboots etc before pk is very very good on the build called Bad Tempest
    So your saying that your one of those horrible tempest players who starts with rott and rushes pk with out any items? Then maybe get striders?

sounds like it

Quote Originally Posted by Mocca View Post
    The build that worked best for me so far is Mark of the Novice + Pretender's Crown + 5 x Mana Potions.
    This is the one!

4-5 mana pots is enough to get you your first 3k gold if you're doing it right. Everything else is personal taste.