Thread: why hellbringer and defiler never picked anymore?

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol

why hellbringer and defiler never picked anymore?

i remember back when hb was banned every tourney n defiler picked constantly... why did they both disappear out of the competitive scene?

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    easily gankable(no escape mech.), new heroes all have better survivability and can do their jobs just as well or better.

Hellbringer suffered a number of nerfs before he was killed by an excessivesly huge nerf on his DOT. This on top of falling out of the meta due to reasons stated above killed him competitively.

Pretty much like the story of Drunken Master. I'm expecting both of them to get some half assed buff soon to bring them up to the viability of Puppet Master and carry Aluna who previously suffered the same over nerf fate.

Account Icon
    Cause they can't handle the heat.

I still love Defiler, its a fine hero. I mean you can spam heavy nukes with sick range just with a few seconds CD and still look cool? New heroes can't bring that to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Enslavement View Post
    Cause they can't handle the heat.

I still love Defiler, its a fine hero. I mean you can spam heavy nukes with sick range just with a few seconds CD and still look cool? New heroes can't bring that to the table.
    Artesia says hello

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    If you want to discuss DotA2, then either go to the designated thread in off-topic discussion, or make a new forum.

Forum Moderators are not S2 Games employees. My posts in no way represent the view of S2 Games or any of its staff.

Please use the report post function to have me review a post that you believe is breaking the Forum Rules.
    Check the Sticky Threads for additional information on this sub-forum and the Announcement Threads for more information about Heroes of Newerth as a whole!

-----------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Leyst View Post
    If you want to discuss DotA2, then either go to the designated thread in off-topic discussion, or make a new forum.
    how is this dota 2...
    /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ Contract???

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Horo View Post
    how is this dota 2...
    One can reasonably assume that all the DotA2 related posts got deleted. Probly in relation to Death Prophet (Defiler Equiv.) at least seeing occasional play in DotA2. It is strange that Hellbringer doesn't see ANY play anymore though, it's not like it was his DoT that made him so strong, and his ult is untouched I do agree he was nerfed unnecessarily though.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyzfunkshun View Post
    One can reasonably assume that all the DotA2 related posts got deleted.
    ding ding ding, this man wins a virtual hug and a picture of a baked potato.

Disclaimer: picture of baked potato and virtual hug may actually not be exchanged for any of the two, but the answer was correct.
    Last edited by Leyst; 04-30-2012 at 02:44 AM.

Forum Moderators are not S2 Games employees. My posts in no way represent the view of S2 Games or any of its staff.

Please use the report post function to have me review a post that you believe is breaking the Forum Rules.
    Check the Sticky Threads for additional information on this sub-forum and the Announcement Threads for more information about Heroes of Newerth as a whole!

-----------------------------

damn, thats funny.

To be fair though, the mods also deleted a post insulting Dota 2.

OT: I think these two heroes need solo lanes and it's just not worth slotting them in for the variety of better solos out there. Both are also a bit too ult-centric.

www.gosugamers.net/hon

Your #1 place for Heroes of Newerth news coverage

Quote Originally Posted by M`A View Post
    i remember back when hb was banned every tourney n defiler picked constantly... why did they both disappear out of the competitive scene?
    Chu quit and Dskb moved to Dota2. As far as I remember, only people who used to pick defiler. Hellbringer? Not sure.
    "HoN is a hardcore "moba" game, not an esport game. Yes we have the best title for eSports in our genre, but eSports and its players accounts for very very little of HoN's playerbase,"
    - Phil The Thrill, director of e-sports

The nerfs are only part of the problem for Hellbringer. He used to be so powerful because of the metagame.

His viability before was in either dominating a 1v1 lane and being able to become a powerful factor in the game, or by getting stuck against a trilane and still being a very powerful walking ult.

For the former, he was (and still is) a very strong 1v1 hero, but he cannot dual lane or support well at all. Like Pollywog, he struggles greatly in 1v2 setups, but unlike Pollywog, he has no farming skill to manage CS in a difficult lane or catch up well. Plus he pushes worse and ganks worse. Thus, unless you can guarantee that matchup, he won't contribute much, and even if you can, there tends to be better heroes these days.

The latter is that chances are, the other team will have a more viable 1v2 solo (bubbles, valk or whatever) and will have a hero less sacrificed than yours. In the trilane days, when its 1v3, it pretty much doesn't matter what hero you have, you will be shutdown, so Hellbringer was in the same boat as so many other 1v3s, but that's not the case any longer.

Hellbringer used to be able to gain lane control through a disgusting amount of harass with his DOT. After death boil was nerfed into oblivion and his other skills were also nerfed heavily he is now crap in the laning phase. He can't gain enough farm to be anything other than a walking ult late game. He can even be a tanky caster anymore because they nerfed his life gain.

If the just reverted all the nerfs to HB and brought him back to beta level he would see play.

freshpro used to hellbringer suicide long lane alot )

Hey look, I'm HB and I stunned their 2 tank carries with my ult, let's kill them. Oh wait...

In theory he could be used to counter the popular Tempest(ult), but Tempest is used more for pushing these days.

Other than that, honestly, how good is Death Boil vs a hero with 10 hp regen in level 5?