Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread. Thread: How and why YOU should support the competitive HoN scene!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    There are way more community driven events in Starcraft than in HoN, because the game is simply larger. I don't know who has the largest portion of community driven events per 10 tournaments or so, but that would take a while to figure out.

Also, never saw anyone who said that the Starcraft scene depends on donations, so I don't know who you're trying to prove wrong...

I love all the posts where people come in to tell us how much they ARENT going to support the scene and how much they hate s2. congrats your real cool, now move on to another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by erigais View Post
    I love all the posts where people come in to tell us how much they ARENT going to support the scene and how much they hate s2. congrats your real cool, now move on to another thread.

Discussion on forums is usually seen as a bad thing.

Wait, wat

Quote Originally Posted by Danelaan View Post
    Discussion on forums is usually seen as a bad thing.

Wait, wat
    yeah but alot of people are just using it as another grounds to bash s2 and to let people know how much of a hater they are. its like the new cool thing to do, and the more you can point out s2 flaws the cooler you are. they COULD just say "hey im not supporting the competitive scene until XYZ happens" but instead they are like "i quit the game a long time ago, i love dota2, s2 should pay players money"

here is a good example

So hon tournaments basically rely on panhandling now to get any sort of prize pool?

LOL, god forbid any of the money from the multiple 10$ alt avatars per week goes towards tournaments
    nothing constructive just came to talk trash.

Account Icon
    If my contribution can make the prizepool bigger which will attract more teams for a better tournament, I will do it.
    Whether I hate S2 or not does not play into this. If my contribution means a better outcome that I can enjoy, I will do it.

This is not to support S2 the company you hate, but to support HoN the game you guys said you love. If you are still using S2 as an excuse for not donating, then you are just an aimless hater who will bash whenever.

I would have supported this about 3 months ago. However, I have to say, that it is really like flogging a dead horse. I think the idea is good and would have been something to work on just after Dreamhack winter. However, the last 5 months have been a sorry state for this game and I don't think it will recover. Quite a few "high profile" employees of S2 have really failed to deliver.
    Making people rage for over 400 games

When did I say the SC2 comp scene DEPENDS on community donations? I said "many events" have been driven through such efforts.

Similarly, the HoN scene doesn't DEPEND on this donation drive. I don't see how this initiative can be interpreted as something negative.. Whether you think S2 should be doing more or not, generating more prize money via Chip In is not a bad thing.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Come people! This is a chance to get S2 to pay up! A small donation from you makes a bigger donation from S2!

And all you competitive players out there, please encourage your fans to support this too. They will be supporting YOU by doing so!

Are there any worthy teams left to fight in this tourney? TDM? FREY? The fanatics? Thought moon and fnatic played DotA 2 but maybe they will come back! Giving free cash to Frey sounds like a bad idea...

It's a nice gesture I guess but it panders to well established teams and if they need money so bad in order to be "motivated" and "encouraged" to play a game I suggest they check in to the nearest mental facility immediately. That mentality is delusional. If you like the game and like competing you will do that regardless if there's money in it or not (Any prize is an extra a bonus NOT something you are entitled too). If you do not then maybe you should try to come back to reality and let go of the pipedream of being paid to exercise a recreational activity. There are better alternatives to revitalize the scene long term than throwing money at the usual suspects of competitive teams. Start with doing something about the god awful downright disgusting, racist and bigoted attitude towards other players that seems to be equally distributed at all levels of this community. Go watch a couple of minutes of some of the most viewed streamers (which happens to be competitive players as well) and they will not behave better than any random player. That’s one of the main problems, the attitude. The influx of new players into the competitive scene is low because the community is awful, intolerant to new players and no $4500 tournament in the world is going to change that.

Can't give sorry,don't even have 10$ for myself =/ would love to give

Also,nice to have faith in this community again
    Suggestion:Ingame Offline mail and notifier http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/sh...ssage-Notifier

Quote Originally Posted by Gojnas View Post
    It's a nice gesture I guess but it panders to well established teams and if they need money so bad in order to be "motivated" and "encouraged" to play a game I suggest they check in to the nearest mental facility immediately. That mentality is delusional. If you like the game and like competing you will do that regardless if there's money in it or not (Any prize is an extra a bonus NOT something you are entitled too). If you do not then maybe you should try to come back to reality and let go of the pipedream of being paid to exercise a recreational activity. There are better alternatives to revitalize the scene long term than throwing money at the usual suspects of competitive teams. Start with doing something about the god awful downright disgusting, racist and bigoted attitude towards other players that seems to be equally distributed at all levels of this community. Go watch a couple of minutes of some of the most viewed streamers (which happens to be competitive players as well) and they will not behave better than any random player. That’s one of the main problems, the attitude. The influx of new players into the competitive scene is low because the community is awful, intolerant to new players and no $4500 tournament in the world is going to change that.

You are definitely correct that the overall attitude of this scene is the biggest problem right now, but I don't think you are correct in your assertions about competing without prizes. True, we are not entitled to having money on the line, but the point of the recent eSports movement is that top level gamers can now play full time and turn this recreational activity into a profession.
    Last edited by Zyori; 04-17-2012 at 02:24 PM.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinz3r View Post
    I...... However, I have to say, that it is really like flogging a dead horse. I think the idea is good and would have been something to work on......
    Flogging dead horses! A good idea, but bad in practice! You heard it here, first!
    Quote Originally Posted by GodTzimisce View Post
    Well I was and two friends on MM and other aviation 3 friends on the other team ... he guesses all cartoons of the rampage and still warns his team who the hell in charge, and when you buy in the blink he uses PK fog giving stun allyados mine
    www.itsgosu.com

My Hero Guides

@ In response to Zyori

Who is going to provide the resources for that in the context of HoN? Asking for donations from the community every month in order to provide a couple of tournaments with prizes to a very limited amount of sheltered "pro" players? S2 has proven quite unwilling to provide anything other than the framework i.e the game and honestly I have yet to see a reasonable argument in favor of why they should provide anything else and specially what makes the small competitive scene so important that s2 should dish out enough to make some of it's players able to make a living out of it, because the money has to come from somewhere and since the competitive scene seem unwilling to pay for they're own costs who is going to take the hit? Casual players are a majority and is probably the s2 cash cow as of now, how fair is it to them having a few selected leeching(pros) on their payments to s2? It would be really unfair for s2 to give such privilieges to a small group of people which most casuals probably never heard of, much less gave consent on giving parts of they're money to. Casuals/community members paying pros directly for services such as coaching is fine. People have to think for themselves.

What it boils down to is a state of mind where some people feel entitled to get remedy for time spent and being good at a pc game without really knowing where this money should come from. And btw, I think it's borderline irresponsible of you to advocate that as a fact in an enviroment like this. If I found out any of my siblings would take a day/week/month off of school or job in order to get better at a game in order to pursue a gaming career I would be livid.

Sponsors? Where art thou?

(btw I like your stream, you seem like a cool guy and you and itsgosu are doing a good job. We just don't share the same concepts of reality )

I guess the e-sport scene will grow on and for some games it will be possible to make a living out of it when you'r a pro player in this game.
    This may not be HoN ( ok seriously ... it won't be HoN ) but I belive that in some years there will be games and there will be enough people who care about the games ( i.e. like in south korea ) so bigger companys will 'pay' for a team.
    Maybe not today and maybe not tomorrow but still, it will come. And every step on the way will help, some steps are mistakes, some won't work, but hey you learn it best the hard way :P

i hope its understandable since my english isn't the best :/

Nevertheless I like your post, it would be so awsome if everyone would post their thoughts like you did!

Why is it that people are forgetting the simple concept that if someone promises you something and then renigs on the promise multiple times, that it is frustrating and has potential to put a stop to future plans? Like people have mentioned time and time again, if there was no concept of Hontour let alone the hype surrounding it, we would be having a very very different discussion right now.

Of course, there's possibly people out there who feel entitled to the money and some who understand that they don't really "deserve" the money that they play for. But the fact of the matter is that if Hontour was not promised to competitors for over a year, no one would care and would have figured what to do by now. The *****ing of low prizepools would have stilled remained but there probably wouldn't have been this seemingly huge responsibility that s2 is not undertaking by not releasing Hontour soon enough. So if anything, you should take the source of most people's frustrations at s2 for not delivering when they said they would.

Quote Originally Posted by haddon View Post
    More people need to take charge and make a difference instead of sitting there and typing "where's HonTour".
    Nice post Mia, donating when I get home :P
    no actually we dont. But we could deal with it that HON isnt a esport game and go on? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tigre` View Post
    Why is it that people are forgetting the simple concept that if someone promises you something and then renigs on the promise multiple times, that it is frustrating and has potential to put a stop to future plans? Like people have mentioned time and time again, if there was no concept of Hontour let alone the hype surrounding it, we would be having a very very different discussion right now.

Of course, there's possibly people out there who feel entitled to the money and some who understand that they don't really "deserve" the money that they play for. But the fact of the matter is that if Hontour was not promised to competitors for over a year, no one would care and would have figured what to do by now. The *****ing of low prizepools would have stilled remained but there probably wouldn't have been this seemingly huge responsibility that s2 is not undertaking by not releasing Hontour soon enough. So if anything, you should take the source of most people's frustrations at s2 for not delivering when they said they would.
    S2 is a company consisting of people, people make mistakes, sometimes people make the same or a variation of the same mistake again and again. S2 didn't live up to its promises, it sucks, companies sometimes do that and people need to deal with it. Companies are not wellfare agencies and will never be this happens all the time everywhere in the world, it is not limited to s2. If you feel that the letdown of s2 to provide HoNtour has completely removed any form of fun from this game to you then you should quit.

It's simple:
    If fun > rage then keep playing
    If fun < rage then quit playing

I get the feeling reading posts complaining about hontour that unless everything is provided by someone else, tournaments and the like, players seem completely dumbfounded about what to do. If you are unhappy with the amount of tournaments you could :

1. Host your own tournament (I know some are doing this and it's great)
    2. complain about the lack of tournaments
    3. play something else

Alternative 2 and 3 are most common since they do not really require any form of effort and isn't really constructive dealing with the issue at hand. Alternative 1 is not that attractive because not only does it require effort, in this current climate it also requires funding since being "best of the best" does not mean anything and a mousepad/goblincoins is considered laughable unless it also comes with a monetary prize. Putting down effort into something shouldn't be an issue if the utility/enjoyment/fun (That word seems to be lost in this forumsection) you get out from it is higher than the effort spent.

There are no free lunches, not even in eSportland.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    I guess the e-sport scene will grow on and for some games it will be possible to make a living out of it when you'r a pro player in this game.
    This may not be HoN ( ok seriously ... it won't be HoN ) but I belive that in some years there will be games and there will be enough people who care about the games ( i.e. like in south korea ) so bigger companys will 'pay' for a team.
    Maybe not today and maybe not tomorrow but still, it will come. And every step on the way will help, some steps are mistakes, some won't work, but hey you learn it best the hard way :P

i hope its understandable since my english isn't the best :/

Nevertheless I like your post, it would be so awsome if everyone would post their thoughts like you did!
    eSports and earning a living on gaming is a pipedream.

The example of South Korea is not a good at all, Internet addiction is introduced into DSM-IV, with excessive gaming as a subtype, and is even considered one of the most serious public health issues in Korea:

"Since the average South Korean high school student spends about 23 hours each week gaming (8), another 1.2 million are believed to be at risk for addiction and to require basic counseling. In particular, therapists worry about the increasing number of individuals dropping out from school or work to spend time on computers (5). As of June 2007, South Korea has trained 1,043 counselors in the treatment of Internet addiction and enlisted over 190 hospitals and treatment centers (7). Preventive measures are now being introduced into schools (9)." (1)

This is also the reason that China started issuing laws discouraging more than 3 hours of daily gaming.

This is why it's irresponsible to proclaim that there is any future in earning a living through gaming, or pander to the individuals who are into this mindset.
    We shouldn't teach kids that you should get paid for exercising an recreational activity because that is not the norm in society and does not hold true at all.

(1)http://psychiatryonline.org/article....rticleid=99602

Is it just me or is the Widget not working?

I still get 0$ funding showing up..