Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread. Thread: How and why YOU should support the competitive HoN scene!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Quote Originally Posted by InnerSpike View Post
    It isn't? Someone needs to tell the world this because people have been paying out the ass to see their favorite sports teams. I'm not sure if you really understand how much money competitive scenes generate. B/c they generate a lot. And they generate even more in player interest. Let me put it this way: Soccer (futbol around the world) wouldn't be played as much if it wasn't broadcasted worldwide or covered as much. Same goes for eSports.

So because a bunch of other people don't get payed... that's a reason NO ONE should be payed? Want to explain that logic a bit further b/c there seems to be some fundamental logic I'm not getting here apparently.

Sure seems that way

So you're saying all of the competitive eSport companies and teams need to start listening to you? Someone who doesn't have any experience? B/c why? I'm guessing you have some business prowess and proof of your claims beyond your philosophical beliefs which is all that you have provided here.

Actually I pretty much agree with that except with the S2 part. S2 shouldn't have to lay a hand on the competitive scene, but with how poorly they've managed the game itself, they've scared off most of the big sponsors and companies from touching it. 'The scene' as you're calling it doesn't even want itself. The proof of that is in the number of teams leaving and number of community projects going on. That's not my opinion, that's fact. Compare this game with any other multiplayer-competitive based game and you're going to find more tournaments, more teams, and a larger amount of sponsors.

I think you may have the comprehension of a 5th grader b/c you can't even understand what I typed
    What I did type was that it doesn't keep people motivated and interested. People aren't going to dedicate themselves b/c a game is fun. I'm not saying they won't play or spend the time, but they aren't going to make the necessary schedule choices to make themselves readily available. How do I know this? Because I've organized and participated in more TF2 events than HoN has had tournaments. The fact being is that money is a great goal and motivator for players. Otherwise when someone has something else they rather do like hang out with friends/family/girlfriend/boyfriend, see a movie, go on vacation, or whatever, then what's to stop them?

I really think you need to try to be a pro player to even comprehend or understand how unGodly wrong you are here. You think pro players are just money hungry or entitled.

And what about that is wrong exactly? You're right companies are looking for profit. Apparently they can make a profit off other games and not HoN.

Oh and a pro tip for you too
    Don't assume you know a type of player when you have no experience beyond just watching. You don't understand the economics or power behind a competitive scene. I doubt you've ever been in a professionally broadcasted game. In which case that just goes to proving my point. If you don't understand or doesn't possess the philosophical ideal behind it then stop arguing. No one's listening to you. I know people listen to me b/c in other games the stuff I preach WORKS.
    It's evident you need to rethink you concept of what is logical for comparation and what is not. Football or soccer has been culturally established as a sport since the 18th century (there are texts mentioning types of football being played as early as between 3rd and 1st century BC in China) , it has had a lot of more time to generate and establish the interest and funding which is currently has in society than eSports has had. People pay out of their ass yes, because people know that for example football , has a stable organizational structure, a large following both domestic and wordwide, has a stable international organization and they know that Messi for example won't throw a hissy fit and threaten to move to play hockey instead. You try to compare something that has stability, organisation, regulations and is well established within most of western culture (and the rest of the world) as a sport with something that has none of that, but maybe in 50 years who knows.

I'm not arguing that none should be paid, but in order to get paid you actually have to have someone willing to pay you. And most recreational activities are not paid because none is willing to pay people to exercise them. I'm trying to show you that there is no correlation between putting down effort, time, devotion and all the other fancy words you choose with any form of monetary gain unless there is someone willing to pay you for exercising that activity. I've had to deal with people who spent years in for example arts or literary institutions coming out in the real world not being able to sell one book or painting, then coming to me asking for grants in order for them to continue being able to sit at home painting or writing books. It's delusional, the world doesn't work that way.

I don't think it's very constructive proving any business prowess of mine to you considering you believe the importance of organisational structures and businessmodels are just a part of some abstract philosophical belief I seem to have. LOL.

I think I hit a nerve with calling progamers out as greedy seeing as the rest of your post is mostly based on the fallacy of argument from authority. "You don't know anything unless you've been one!"-bullshit, as if this discussion is new, I've heard the same tiresome arguments for the last 15 years. eSport is still not very well rooted in our culture and it is still not considered to be more than a pasttime. Whatever you believe to "work" clearly isn't seeing as the empirical data shows it doesn't.

To S2: Never forget that the community is what pays your bills. Listen to what people have to say and take that into consideration. Be better at following up on things that you start. Don't ask for people to give you input and then just ignore it when they do. Keep the community well updated. It's alot easier to accept delay if you are informed about it. Consider focusing a lot more on balancing/changing the current hero pool instead of just pumping out more imbalanced heroes.

Couldn't agree more.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    I has no money but i love this game can i donate my body?

I'll wait till the end of this, and depending on where we are, I'll throw down $350.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    We're now at 624$ Again thanks to all who donated or showed their support in general!

Remember that all the money will go 100% to the prize pools of It's GoSu's tournaments. S2 has promised to match whatever amount we are able to raise so let's do this!

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMia View Post
    We're now at 624$ Again thanks to all who donated or showed their support in general!

Remember that all the money will go 100% to the prize pools of It's GoSu's tournaments. S2 has promised to match whatever amount we are able to raise so let's do this!
    624.37 )

Big play right there

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMia View Post

Well of course S2 will. When the community is paying for 50% of the prize pool, it's cake for them.

Probably 6 months ago, or so, before the exodus, they had ample time to get stuff in order with legions of teams whining about the same balance issues. They did nothing, so I don't feel bad that almost everyone who is worth anything put HoN on the backburner. The game hasn't been properly balanced, the competitors are met with trashy prize pools, so what do you expect to happen?

I would laugh my ass of is some billionaire somehow ended up donating 1mil to prizepool and s2 had to match that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sektumsempra View Post
    I would laugh my ass of is some billionaire somehow ended up donating 1mil to prizepool and s2 had to match that.
    they wouldnt

Quote Originally Posted by Gleaming View Post
    support a product that S2 seemingly tries to scuttlebutt
    I don't think this word means what you think it means.

Quote Originally Posted by Niwi View Post
    I don't think this word means what you think it means.
    I meant scuttle, gg iphone autocorrect.

Account Icon
    Did this money ever get put to use? Or for that matter, did S2 ever match the amount of money donated? B/c if not I want part of that money.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Yeap, they're in the prizepool for our May tournaments, as promised!

because s2 obviously dont make any money and cant support there own competitive scene. maybe alt avatars should be $30 each then soontour will come sooner

Awesome Sig made by Lhune The Incredible.

Project Zomboid An amazing indie survival zombie game
    Suggestion - Spaghetti + Meatball Bramble

Donations are not going to save HoN. We need more events and tournaments. Top players need a reason to be good at HoN.

This might be a bit farfetched but wouldn't be possible to merge dota and hon (maybe LoL as well) to create an enourmous MOBA scene, similar to the fighting scene where the competitive players play and compete in a lot of the games.
    Some of the mechanics in each games are different (just like the fighting games) but they're basically the same in the end.

Then there's the problem with pride amongst each of the games community...