Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread. Thread: How and why YOU should support the competitive HoN scene!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 157
  1. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleaming View Post
    HoN does not live in a vacuum, it is no longer 2009 and S2 has proven that they can't handle the kind of responsibility this style of game entails. Instead of using their headstart as an advantage to get ahead of the competition and truly innovate, they decided to squander that time in a cheap money grab, shoehorning in a business model that completely ruined the competitive spirit. It's hard to say that, since I too was an ardent supporter of both HoN and S2. But why should I care, if S2 themselves don't care?
    Exactly how I feel.

    Inspiring initiative from OP though, but again, why should we even fork out for the competitive scene when it's so obvious that the developers of the game itself have chosen a completely different path?

    edit: I'm not saying S2 should fork out for HON's competitive scene, which I really think they shouldn't. I'm just upset about how they handled (or didn't handle) their own game in terms of design, innovation and game balance.
    Last edited by TrapdoorVito; 04-16-2012 at 03:40 PM.

  2. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenova26 View Post
    Let's not forget that Valve (oh great mighty Valve who bringeth DotA2!!!) stopped patching and supporting Counter Strike in like 2005 or something and that game is STILL holding tournaments and large numbers of daily players because THE SCENE won't let it die.\.
    CS 1.6 wasn't patched because purists wanted it untouched, CS:Source is what they patch now'a'days and it's had a patch as recently as March.

  3. #83
    S2 Games will match the donations for the bigger prize pool of next months It's Gosu Event started by MsMia, support

  4. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by God` View Post
    Yeah nice idea, we can even have a slogan, lets call it "HoN 2012", the year we will revitalize the scene!!

    lol love this. i might make a new sig.

  5. #85
    Offline
    Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    282
    The ChipIn now works correctly! 377$ raised so far! Keep the good will flowing.

  6. #86
    Uhm ok I donated a bit, doesnt hurt so much so go on and do it aswell.
    Really hope to see something nice growing ^^

  7. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleaming View Post
    CS 1.6 wasn't patched because purists wanted it untouched, CS:Source is what they patch now'a'days and it's had a patch as recently as March.
    Nice job making up information. You may be able to fool people that don't know anything about CS 1.6, or maybe you even believe this yourself. But the reality is that Valve stopped supporting 1.6 because they released Source and wanted people to switch over to it. If what you said were true, they would've reverted from 1.4 and left CS at 1.3. They didn't stop patching it because the community wanted it that way, more so because they released the newer version of the game (something almost all companies would do, stop supporting old games and support the new version. OMG Why no sc1 patch? I mean before brood war, wtf why stop supporting it, what gives??

  8. #88
    Good luck MsMia, I think this is a great step in the right direction :]
    I will donate some money later.

  9. #89
    This is a really good idea and a very kind one indeed you are one goodhearted supporter MsMia.
    You have my support.

    Blijebobo

    Manager of Aerial Decay



  10. #90
    Offline
    Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    282
    Good news! Phil just confirmed that S2 will match whichever amount we raise, not just limited to 2k! So I really encourage everyone of you to make a small contribution, tell your friends to make one too etc...this could be big!!!!

    Also..."Breaking" news from BreakyCPK. Thursday will be an exciting day! Announcements to come. So stay tuned and keep up the good faith!

  11. #91
    Offline
    Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMia View Post
    Good news! Phil just confirmed that S2 will match whichever amount we raise, not just limited to 2k! So I really encourage everyone of you to make a small contribution, tell your friends to make one too etc...this could be big!!!!

    Also..."Breaking" news from BreakyCPK. Thursday will be an exciting day! Announcements to come. So stay tuned and keep up the good faith!
    Just in time for XanderK's big appearance on MOBA Weekly!

  12. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleaming View Post
    CS 1.6 wasn't patched because purists wanted it untouched, CS:Source is what they patch now'a'days and it's had a patch as recently as March.
    That's not true. The CS 1.6 community wanted tons of things untouched, but there were also tons of things that had to be fixed - like HLTV bug (when it's slow motion and then it skips 5-10 sec to make up for the time it was slow motion).

    When they tried to fix duckjumping about 2 years ago, the community raged because the "fix" made it so you made sound if you were standing still and jumping up and down, which ****ed up tons of boosting strats that had been a vital part of the game for many years.

    This is far off-topic, but I just dislike when people start talking out of their ass. Also, HLTV.org is probably the main reason CS 1.6 is still one of the strongest games in the eSport scene.

  13. #93
    Offline
    Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Misanthropolis
    Posts
    1,107
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMia View Post
    Also..."Breaking" news from BreakyCPK. Thursday will be an exciting day! Announcements to come. So stay tuned and keep up the good faith!
    will thursday be as exciting as april so far?
    cant handle so much excitement

  14. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by Lephtknught View Post
    10/10

    Do SC2 players or LoL players have to do these things Mia/Haddon are telling us to do? When a presidential candidate claims tax breaks and doesn't deliver he doesn't get reelected - when S2 claims SoonTour and doesn't deliver their players move to dota2.
    Apparently you haven't spent much time in the SC2 scene. There have been many events driven through viewer donations.


    /applaud the efforts.. very exciting to see S2 supporting this as well!

  15. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyori View Post
    Apparently you haven't spent much time in the SC2 scene. There have been many events driven through viewer donations.


    /applaud the efforts.. very exciting to see S2 supporting this as well!
    +1

    Even MLG is starting to charge more for passes because they realise in the long run shifting their main financial reliance on the consumer directly is much more sustainable than sponsors.

    www.gosugamers.net/hon

    Your #1 place for Heroes of Newerth news coverage

  16. #96
    Mia, I'm glad there are people like you out there still because you guys are one of the reasons I became a GM. Good luck with everything!

  17. #97
    I guess I am one of the few who thinks the current "competitive" scene should be completely removed.

    Your average HoN player:
    Never listened to any podcasts related to HoN.
    Has not, and will not participate in any prize related tournaments.
    Does not watch streams of other players playing.
    Could not care any less if a competitive group leaves HoN for another game.

    I do not see a reason to focus this game primarily on "competitive" gamers when it will only effect <5% of total HoN players.

    HoN Wars was a great concept, although flawed. A system where "anyone" could play in a tournament style battle to win prizes is what S2 needs to be aiming for.

    But then again, what do I know? Id rather have a good match and lose than getting a win in a match that was a complete waste of time.

  18. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by jobambo View Post
    I guess I am one of the few who thinks the current "competitive" scene should be completely removed.

    Your average HoN player:
    Never listened to any podcasts related to HoN.
    Has not, and will not participate in any prize related tournaments.
    Does not watch streams of other players playing.
    Could not care any less if a competitive group leaves HoN for another game.
    If that logically followed then DotA's scene would have ceased to exist long ago.

    In fact it might still be true today. Despite the size of it's scene now which is undeniably growing and going strong, for every 1 person who follows the pro scene I can find you 10 casual dota players who literally do nothing but play customs and pubs all day amongst friends. They've never watched a single one of their own replays let alone matches played by other people.

    www.gosugamers.net/hon

    Your #1 place for Heroes of Newerth news coverage

  19. #99
    Do I get something along the lines of a Kony pack if I donate?

  20. #100
    Offline
    Account Icon
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyori View Post
    Apparently you haven't spent much time in the SC2 scene. There have been many events driven through viewer donations.


    /applaud the efforts.. very exciting to see S2 supporting this as well!

    Zyori making the big contribution to this topic with useless information as always.

    1. Starcraft 2 comp does NOT depend on community donations. It never has. It never will.
    2. If you want to talk proportion-wise, HoN has more community driven events then SC2 does.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •