Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread. Thread: How and why YOU should support the competitive HoN scene!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    I knew that a lot of people would not agree with me on this or support it, it was expected tbh. However if I manage to just reach some of you, then I have lost nothing at all.

Like I have the right to an opinion so does everyone else. I'm glad that the non-supportive posters have been commenting in a constructive way and I do hope that S2 will read through all these comments as well and hopefully use them as a reason to improve in the future.

To the supporters. Thank you, you're the best. Keep spreading the word. <3

Do you know what bothers me? i see so many people here blaming s2 saying they should front their own money (which of course would be nice) and think that everything which happens in this game should be managed by s2. I have bounced from one game to another for a while now (i just love playing games competitively) and this is the hardest game to play any competitive games (or mixes/scrims) in. Why? because the community are generally a bunch of spoilt babies who complain about the business model of a business... seriously guys? s2 are not your best buddies, they are there to make a game which keeps them employed. In CSS (counter strike source) people had to pay to have their own servers so they could have matches, and communities also paid for different types of dedicated servers. When i played on the xbox on different games, its the competitive community that organises the games, with prizes from the entrance money. People are too used to having things done for them. When CSS moved to the orange box engine there were some horrible issues, which took a while to be sorted. People need to stop looking at valve putting up a million and thinking "why arent s2 doing this?!!?!". The community needs to start coming together, playing together, and helping each other. Too much do people be disgusting towards each other because they are protected behind their screen. I will support this, even though i believe s2 could be doing more to develop the game, because the community needs to show s2 that we will be sticking around.

tl;dr stop complaining, its rare companies do anything for the competitive community, and start supporting each other, monetary or emotionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluxzy View Post
    Do you know what bothers me? i see so many people here blaming s2 saying they should front their own money (which of course would be nice) and think that everything which happens in this game should be managed by s2. I have bounced from one game to another for a while now (i just love playing games competitively) and this is the hardest game to play any competitive games (or mixes/scrims) in. Why? because the community are generally a bunch of spoilt babies who complain about the business model of a business... seriously guys? s2 are not your best buddies, they are there to make a game which keeps them employed. In CSS (counter strike source) people had to pay to have their own servers so they could have matches, and communities also paid for different types of dedicated servers. When i played on the xbox on different games, its the competitive community that organises the games, with prizes from the entrance money. People are too used to having things done for them. When CSS moved to the orange box engine there were some horrible issues, which took a while to be sorted. People need to stop looking at valve putting up a million and thinking "why arent s2 doing this?!!?!". The community needs to start coming together, playing together, and helping each other. Too much do people be disgusting towards each other because they are protected behind their screen. I will support this, even though i believe s2 could be doing more to develop the game, because the community needs to show s2 that we will be sticking around.

tl;dr stop complaining, its rare companies do anything for the competitive community, and start supporting each other, monetary or emotionally.

this is so true. i used to play street fighter competitively(capcom vs snk2 specifically and off and on i attempted some others) where you gotta pay right at the front door sometimes, even if you werent playing, just to attend the event. i also went to many a mtg tournament where not only did you buy your own cards but before you even got matched up you had to pay the TO out of your pocket. What you spoiled kids do not realize is that its very common for companies to make money off of you playing their game competitively. the fact is that you dont have to spend a dime to compete and s2 is in fact DONATING their own profits so there can be some kind of a prize pool sometimes and will be for hontour.

Big wall of text stating that gamers are too entitled[...]

Complaining is actually a very, very good thing. A company that makes mistakes can not pray enough to get complains from its customers. Because otherwise customers would just leave silently and the company would have never known how to improve or how to not fail next time. Most people already left silently, and the few actually kind of loyal customers that give feedback (negative feedback is much more precious than no feedback!) will be ignored? If you would ever be in any business be it gaming or any other branch with your "stop complaining"-agenda you would fail any business miserably.

Why invest into players who constantly give negative publicity to your game? That's dumb, no matter how you spin it.

is this some kind of joke or late april fools scam?
    are people out of their mind to donate money to help a multi million dollar company out?
    ill play the IF game now:
    IF Hontour would have started like they planned last year, s2 would have spend (lets assume) 50.000$ average on a monthly basis (hontour was planned as a 2 month beta season with 100.000$, since its now 250.000$ for a 4? month tournament).
    So let's assume it was only 1 Year we are waiting there would be 12x50.000$ so around 600.000$ spend on the competitve and amateur scene in one year.
    now my question is:
    DID S2 Games spend 50.000$ a month for the comp and amateur scene? NO they did not. not even 1/10th of it in the last month. So why the hell would you give out your money when s2 games has saved so much money (which they COULD have even spend up even 10.000$ a month would not have hurt them to keep the comp&amateur scene alive the whole time)
    but and this is really a big point, it is not only about the money, its about that after dreamhack and nasl they showed no dedication to keep the comp & amateur scene alive. i can still remember the words from breaky and their casters that the scene is kinda sleeping because there are no tournaments and stuff and its winter/xmas... Why the hell did you not start tournaments yourself then? s2 games and their esport director's did not plan (i don't count king of the hill that really hard to plan and execute weekly 2 games tournament) any tournaments or cups or anything theirselfs. they gave out money to itsgosu, csn for their tournaments but did not plan anything theirself. so the comp teams that went to other games left because there was just no competition on the level dota 2 has for example. even if the pricepools are lower on some tournaments, you have games on a daily basis. there are so many cups and tournaments that viewers and players have an EXTREMLY busy April for dota 2 at the moment.
    dota 2 casts have around 10-13k viewers, hon casts have around 3-5k viewers. even moon has more viewers lately than honcast can reach (both were live at the same time). it is definetly the fault of s2 games that it went this direction, not the community.
    Last edited by uranaibaba; 04-16-2012 at 05:09 AM.

nice initiative, good to see some ppl still believe in this game hopefully alot of people will have a spare 5$ or something.

Donated 10$

Quote Originally Posted by AmunRaRape View Post
    Complaining is actually a very, very good thing. A company that makes mistakes can not pray enough to get complains from its customers. Because otherwise customers would just leave silently and the company would have never known how to improve or how to not fail next time. Most people already left silently, and the few actually kind of loyal customers that give feedback (negative feedback is much more precious than no feedback!) will be ignored? If you would ever be in any business be it gaming or any other branch with your "stop complaining"-agenda you would fail any business miserably.
    I never said you cant complain, so good job for reading my big wall of text. If you read it, i have some complaints myself, like i wish there were more changes and balances more often. What makes me sick is the complaining, and that its just mindless. Can i use you as an example of what my post is about? Complaining is different to criticism e.g, "i think HoN is good, but the focus could be on balancing 'hero' and nerfing 'hero'". Complaining seems to be "SOOOOOONTOUR LOLOLOLOLOLLOOL S2 SUCK". One is more likely to get a change, the other at best will get an apology. And since you think i would fail miserably, can i ask what your qualifications are in business before making such a general statement?
    Last edited by Fluxzy; 04-16-2012 at 05:12 AM.

can i ask what your qualifications are in business before making such a general statement?
    I have been working as a marketing director for a local newspaper contributor for 7 years total (4 as manager)that involves tons of customerservice and feedback. I know negative feedback is annoying but only to people who don't understand the logic of it. Hell you don't even need many credentials, anyone who has any sense whatsoever knows from a business standpoint your arguments are very wrong and if executed your way could -and most likely would- ruin the company.

Quote Originally Posted by SoLeN View Post
    Donated 10$
    I think you have donated to the wrong purpose:

Last edited by AmunRaRape; 04-16-2012 at 05:22 AM.

I understand negative feedback is essential. People being childish is annoying. That was what my post was about. Considering you have been working for so long in customer services i would think that one of your key skills would be explaining to people in a non-offensive way that what they are saying could be wrong, as well as being able to listen to someone's complaints and deal with it. My complaint is that to many people expect things to just happen without their involvement, and instead of just being silly and complaining, they could try and do something themselves (as the thread is trying). Instead you've seen "im sick of people complaining" which is literally my first line in my post and have decided to insult me twice (technically 3 times because you clearly didnt actually understand/read my original post). I hope you do not talk to your customers that way, and actually listen to them properly (and i do not mean to insult you, but please read things before being negative). I have no problem with you not wanting to contribute to this.

Amunrarape: The ChipIn ****ed up so the payment doesn't go through hopefully it will later

done & done.

donating when im home

Finally, something constructive has been done in the community.

1)WP MsMia
    2)Haddon is hot
    3)Donating 5$
    4)???
    5)Profit!!

Edit: The paypal payment seems to go through but the chip-in app thingy does not register any money!

Your contribution to It's GoSu events! has been processed via PayPal:

[TR]
    [TD]ChipIn Event Title:[/TD]
    [TD]It's GoSu events![/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]ChipIn Event Organizer:[/TD]
    [TD]MsMia3006 (msmia3006@yahoo.com)[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Transaction ID:[/TD]
    [TD]e8c1f48ee95a1d9e[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Contribution Amount:[/TD]
    [TD]$5.00[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Contribution Date:[/TD]
    [TD]April 16, 2012 9:25 AM UTC[/TD]
    [/TR]
    Last edited by Heret1c; 04-16-2012 at 06:30 AM.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    @Heret1c thank you. I'll look into it asap.

@ mia i think One of the Problems you miss out on is the Courage of the few tournaments that are going
    Some may already have seen my name, for those who have not I'm a Caster. And the problem is that if you are not part of honcast or the organising organisation you have no chance of getting live matches to cast. Because competition is not appreciated, and innovation is practically 0
    Now if this event is sponsored the community why not allow approved casters cast games. Not 1st time casters but people who have some experience in it and good video quality. I'm a private person and stream with better video options than organizations have

But I'm not allowed to cast tournaments because of the monopoly. Only tournaments I am allowed to is ESL and fun events almost nobody wants to see
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QienIRQUOm8
    ^VIVA BRAZIIIL^
    More than 50 Guides on my Youtube-Channel
    www.youtube.com/Raawrrish
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2D8XtleNxk
    ^10 Devs clashing in Midwars ^

Quote Originally Posted by MsMia View Post
    It's so easy to sit back and point fingers when you don't have the guts to do it yourself.
    You confuse guts with time.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by RAAWRR View Post
    @ mia i think One of the Problems you miss out on is the Courage of the few tournaments that are going
    Some may already have seen my name, for those who have not I'm a Caster. And the problem is that if you are not part of honcast or the organising organisation you have no chance of getting live matches to cast. Because competition is not appreciated, and innovation is practically 0
    Now if this event is sponsored the community why not allow approved casters cast games. Not 1st time casters but people who have some experience in it and good video quality. I'm a private person and stream with better video options than organizations have

But I'm not allowed to cast tournaments because of the monopoly. Only tournaments I am allowed to is ESL and fun events almost nobody wants to see
    I understand what you're saying and I suggest you grab hold of Dawz_ from It's GoSu. I believe they are struggling to find dependable casters atm seeing that they haven't in fact casted their own events the last couple of times.

It is not only me but also other casters. And if I want to be independent and free what then
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QienIRQUOm8
    ^VIVA BRAZIIIL^
    More than 50 Guides on my Youtube-Channel
    www.youtube.com/Raawrrish
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2D8XtleNxk
    ^10 Devs clashing in Midwars ^

While I appreciate your intentions, I honestly think throwing more money isn't going to fix anything, nor "revitalize" the scene.

I have high hopes for hontour in this regard from what I've read and I trully hope S2 has realized where the problem really lies, so far no event other than the occasional own3d.tv or newegg tournaments were paid by external sources, at least not that we knew of, and that's because the competitive scene was not inherent to the game, but just an addition to it. When people, out of pure love for competing in their game throw around tournaments and get spotlighted in multiple websites, sponsors get interested in throwing their name in there by putting minor marketing money, but nobody likes being on the vanguard, not stablished companies at least, and they go for the safe bets.

S2 needs to nurture the competition by encouraging people to get together and compete, irregardless of their quality. Throwing a 5k$ tournament where you'll get seeded against tdm or fnatic on the first round doesn't help competition, it helps 10 players to keep motivated, but that's an illusion, that doesn't create a competitive scene, if Blizzard got something right in SC2 is this, they separate skill levels through tiers, which, gradually, show players where they really stand and how close they are to being competitive, while tournaments have this "shock" feeling attached that is both possitive and negative, depending on your performance. Teams must be eased into being competitive.

If MMR does something is to let you know where you are, how much you've improved, how your individual performance compares against other individual players, and that might give you a chance to join a competitive team, what S2 failed to do here is take that concept and apply it to clans.
    Last edited by DerRape; 04-16-2012 at 07:37 AM.