Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread. Thread: How and why YOU should support the competitive HoN scene!

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Account Icon
    Chat Symbol

How and why YOU should support the competitive HoN scene!

Hello Ladies and Gents,

My name is Mia aka MsMia. I'm the person who donated some money for the It's GoSu April Invitational.

Some might wonder why I did that and why I am now posting here. I'll tell you why:

Because I love this game and because I have faith in HoN and S2. Call me naive but that is how I feel.

People keep saying that HoN is dead or dying, but I'm saying NO. HoN will only die the day that we allow it to die and that is not now!

You guys are the community and you guys are what keep it alive - or kill it. I see so much negativity out there and while a lot of you blame S2, I would say that a lot of the blame lies with the community itself.

Yes, Hon Tour has been announced over and over again for a very long time and people are losing faith in it ever happening. While I understand their reason for not believing, I also understand that S2 have their reasons for not launching it just yet and that those reasons are NOT meant to annoy us but are valid reasons that we just have to accept. Hon Tour will happen!

The delay of HoN Tour also means that there is a significant lack of competitive events but I know that there are people out there who do a ton of work to help out, trying to find sponsors and are doing their best to keep the competitive scene alive. "It's GoSu" being a huge contributor in that regard. But why would any sponsor invest money in HoN when not even the community supports it?

It is time for the community to step up and take a good look at itself! So much time and energy is spent on *****ing at the few events we do have and trashing the new teams that are trying to compete. Instead you should spend that energy on encouraging them to keep putting in the effort they are doing and support the teams who are willing to give it a try. It's so easy to sit back and point fingers when you don't have the guts to do it yourself.

Man up now before it's too late! Follow the streamers, encourage new teams, give constructive criticism on how to improve instead of just spamming **** like any 15 year old would. It all starts with YOU!

This is how I see it. Hon Tour is coming - soon . Until then we all need to help each other to keep things going. I chose to support "It's Gosu" because I know them as a professional and reliable organisation and I know they are interested in getting more involved with HoN than they already are - but we need to help and give them a reason to do so by showing that we all care!

So here's the thing and my plea to you all:

I'm going to start a donation event to help increase the prize pools of the "It's GoSu" monthly events. We all know that higher prize pools attract more players and viewers and thus make things more interesting. So lets say that 5.000 (I know you're out there!) people decide that it is worth chipping in - donating 5$ each. That would make 25.000$ in additional prize money that we could spread across the events, suddenly making it a lot more worthwhile for the top teams to compete and stick to HoN. To donate 5$ is little to nothing for a single person but put together it suddenly makes alot of money!

So please follow the link at the end of this message to make your contribution.

To make sure people are aware that I'm not trying to take any money myself the donations will go directly to "It's GoSu". I have been talking to the owner and director of "It's GoSu" and we have agreed that all the money that I'm able to collect will go 100% to their HoN event prize pools. We will be tracking donations so that we know exactly which came from this event. Also "It's GoSu" have been so generous to donate a Razer Naga Hex gaming mouse. This item will be put up as a prize in a raffle among all contributors at the reach of our goal. For each 1$ you donate you get 1 ticket in the raffle. This means that if you donate 10$ you get 10 tickets and so on.

If possible, any outstanding prizes due to winning teams that have not yet been fulfilled we will try to cover with this money as well. Just to set things right. If you are one of those please send me a mail telling me the event name, date, amount and team including team members names. I will check up on it to confirm that its true and do my best to see you get paid.

Last but not least:

To S2: Never forget that the community is what pays your bills. Listen to what people have to say and take that into consideration. Be better at following up on things that you start. Don't ask for people to give you input and then just ignore it when they do. Keep the community well updated. It's alot easier to accept delay if you are informed about it. Consider focusing a lot more on balancing/changing the current hero pool instead of just pumping out more imbalanced heroes.

To the community: Hang in there. Things will turn around. Hon Tour will set things in motion. More sponsors will come once they see that HoN has alot of followers an a community that cares. Maybe HoN will never be as big as LoL but hey it's all about quality and not quantity. Stop the *****ing - if you don't like it, move on to things you like instead. Support the people who are trying. Even 1$ can make a difference if we all chip in!

That was it from me for now.

Love you all. Hang in there and keep supporting the #1 game!

xxx Mia

To make your contribution go to: www.twitch.tv/msmia3006 and follow the instructions. Thank you!

Edit: Some typos etc...more might follow.
    Last edited by MsMia; 04-15-2012 at 10:34 PM.

More people need to take charge and make a difference instead of sitting there and typing "where's HonTour".
    Nice post Mia, donating when I get home :P

I agree with everything written here and like ive been telling people all along, the competitive scene is the responsibility of the PLAYERS.
    imho there needs to be more entrance fees on tournaments to help support bigger prize pools.

GO GO MIA!!
    mia is the #1 supporter of HoN!!!
    has passion for the game!!!!

SUPPORT MIA!

Although a compelling narrative, why should I go out of my way to support a product that S2 seemingly tries to scuttlebutt every chance they get? In comparison to Valve and Riot, S2 has fallen short of the mark on so many things that its competition has succeeded in. HoN does not live in a vacuum, it is no longer 2009 and S2 has proven that they can't handle the kind of responsibility this style of game entails. Instead of using their headstart as an advantage to get ahead of the competition and truly innovate, they decided to squander that time in a cheap money grab, shoehorning in a business model that completely ruined the competitive spirit. It's hard to say that, since I too was an ardent supporter of both HoN and S2. But why should I care, if S2 themselves don't care?

I mean, you guys are presumably ruminating on how you could inject life into the HoN competitive scene, don't you realize how insanely bad that is? How could S2 have let the rabbit go so far down the hole. You know what other games have their fanbase conceiving ideas on how they could revitalize the scene? Games that have dead competitive scenes, that's who.

Again, call me a hater, but that's how I feel and you can take it or leave it.
    Last edited by Gleaming; 04-15-2012 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gleaming View Post
    Although a compelling narrative, why should I go out of my way to support a product that S2 seemingly tries to scuttlebutt every chance they get? In comparison to Valve and Riot, S2 has fallen short of the mark on so many things that its competition has succeeded in. HoN does not live in a vacuum, it is no longer 2009 and S2 has proven that they can't handle the kind of responsibility this style of game entails. Instead of using their headstart as an advantage to get ahead of the competition and truly innovate, they decided to squander that time in a cheap money grab, shoehorning in a business model that completely ruined the competitive spirit. It's hard to say that, since I too was an ardent supporter of both HoN and S2. But why should I care, if S2 themselves don't care?

Again, call me a hater, but that's how I feel and you can take it or leave it.
    You are not supporting S2, she asked to support the competitive hon scene. they are two different things as one is the company that makes the game and one is the people that play it. If you do not want to support s2 simply do not buy gold coins or play the game, if you also do not want to support the competitive scene(the competitive players)....well then what the heck are you sticking around for? LoL is free and DoTA 2 is free in beta.

is there a way for me to donate for this in brazil?

New campaign:
    BOYCOTT THE TANKY METAGAME COMPETITIVE PLAYERS! PLEASE!
    for a better HoN Scene...
    Last edited by innova3; 04-15-2012 at 11:21 PM.

S2 Staff Member S2 Games Staff
    20$ np!!!!

S2 Games: Dedicated employees serving dedicated gamers. Continuous development. Never-ending improvement.
    -----------------------------

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    I personally feel that it's a big waste of time. Especially when we had teams being sponsored by big names such as EG, SK, CoL, FntC, these guys have left over the course of the last year.

Why? they're not stupid that's why, they pulled out because there was no real good reason to sponsor a HoN team, not even mentioning what an S2 staff member said about a certain team which lost them there sponsorship.

Why should I put forward money to support a company that more than likely makes millions? for my own enjoyment or because you think it's charitable to save a scene that was once on its way to being great but was sunk because Maliken had obvious staffing issues?

I too love HoN, and I love competitive HoN, but I hate what’s become of it.. I think it’s just plain ridiculous that you request the community to put forward money to encourage players that bash this game anyway to play it for your own enjoyment.

The only reason in my mind the scene is dead, it because S2 literally stopped caring and think it’s easier to pass the problem on to one man who I’d appears to be extremely under qualified and was unemployed before this (unless you call Honcast a real job).

What happens after HoN Tour is the question on my mind. Another itsgosu tourny?

Call me a hater as well, but take my advice in saying, it shouldn’t be your responsibility to organize prize money..

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by erigais View Post
    You are not supporting S2, she asked to support the competitive hon scene. they are two different things as one is the company that makes the game and one is the people that play it. If you do not want to support s2 simply do not buy gold coins or play the game, if you also do not want to support the competitive scene(the competitive players)....well then what the heck are you sticking around for? LoL is free and DoTA 2 is free in beta.
    I'm sorry but don't S2 pay someone to run the competative scene...

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranc3d View Post
    I will support it, soon.
    10/10

Do SC2 players or LoL players have to do these things Mia/Haddon are telling us to do? When a presidential candidate claims tax breaks and doesn't deliver he doesn't get reelected - when S2 claims SoonTour and doesn't deliver their players move to dota2.

Account Icon
    Thankfully my education wasn't derived from s2 promises, otherwise i might actually belive that.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Why are you asking us to donate when S2 has made hundreds of thousands of dollars selling alt avatars and EA heroes?

So now you want the people that already spent alot of cash on gold coins and the game itself to act like sponsor just so we can have a comp scene.
    And like someone said before "s2 pay someone to run the comp scene". If he canīt bring it back to life then maybe the should kick him and let his monthly salary go to a monthly tournament instead.

I will not support. I have already supported the game so much with roughly $300 in accounts subaccounts and coins. The last time I supported by preordering on the first day they buttf.ucked me hard in return with the EA bullshit. I have learned my lesson. Also do you know HOW FRIGGEN RICH MALIKEN IS? He could easily easily have done something great for the competetive scene a LOOOOOOONG time ago. But he is the definition of greedy and only abuses his customers and lies 24/7 he only wants the cash. But this behaviour has destroyed the name of hon and it is now too late. I am not braindead to support S2 ever again. It will rot and it deserves so.

I'd have to give some props to Mia for her dedication. Advocate or hater of s2 or HoN, no one has anything on something like this. In my opinion though, I wish one of HoN's gravest issues would be addressed. For so much money meant to be circulating for this game with this 250 grand prizepool for Hontour and Mia putting up money for the IG tourney, I almost feel like HoN with the slow rate at which balancing happens, the failure of really taking into consideration what the community and the competitors feel is best for balance collectively, and the business model that forces out a new hero every 2 weeks which disturbs the balance of the game and doesn't give the metagame a chance to settle and develop on its own, doesn't even deserve the backing of such a dedicated community.

I would be ultimately impressed if there was some humongous impactful change in terms of balancing HoN a bit better aside from a new picking mode. I want more diverse strategies to be implemented. I want games of the highest level in which a decent team can't just simply hold off on losing to a top team simply by turtling or cheesing. I wish games weren't as delayed to almost an hour every game due to such cheesing and turtling. This is something that is beyond the community's control and I feel if s2 can drastically improve just this aspect, it'll gain a lot more faith from the community again.

Also goes without saying that s2's transparency should be much more clear not only for Hontour but as a whole. I believe it's important so that s2 can earn the community's trust showing that they really do care about the game. For example, if DOGKaiser would give short explanations as to why certain changes were made on each patch note or in the forums, maybe for an hour on patch day to address the community, it would really go a long way.
    Last edited by Tigre`; 04-16-2012 at 01:48 AM.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    The thing you guys have to remember is that Mia is not a S2 member. It doesn't matter what your feelings towards S2 is, this is a community move from a community member. If you don't want to help save HoN, because your feelings towards S2, don't donate. But there's no reason to come in here and start shouting out that you shouldn't help out a community member to help out the scene. It's not S2 that are ASKING you to donate.

The only reason I'm going to donate for this is because I love HoN, I love to help the game and I love to support anything related to it. This is the only reason why I do the work I do for HoN. Why do I love hon? I love to see the best teams give their best. I love to interact with the players and help them out. I love the social connection with players/persons from whatever corner of the world. This is the game I've been playing the most, and helped out the most. I can't really say why I choose HoN, but it's probably because this is the game I want to see be most superior. Whether it be scene, balance or just on top of the fun-scale.

I really hope you guys keep supporting us and our events. Also thank Mia for being one of the most awesome persons in the community. I support this 100% and will do my best to make the best out of this.

You are trying to rally up people to support a game that hasn't been supported by it's creator since december 2011? S2 has already transitioned to "stop spending real money (re: goblin coins) to promote/support the game and try to squeeze out as much money as you can via cosmetic content before the game crashes and burns for good" -mode.
    HoN and S2 doesn't deserve the support of people like you, and instead of chippin' in I'll direct you to this wonderful site: http://www.joindota.com
    There you'll find superior casters with superior co-casters, casting a better game played by better players in bigger and more frequent tournaments.

No need to thank me!
    "You can't perfectly Defend the Ancients!"
    -Christoffer "Ryze" Winther

What Mia is attempting to do is very admirable. However, I won't be donating personally because the company backing the game has messed up so many times that the prospect of donating feels like taking a bucket to a sinking ship.

Mia, I will post about your initiative in the Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/heroesofnewerthgroup/

(The two are related, as both want to support HoN)