Thread: Project M Released on Saturday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Project M Released on Saturday

For those people who loved Super Smash Brothers Melee, but thought that Brawl ruined the game - fear not, for a small but dedicated group of people have been working on a Brawl modification which makes SSBB into the game we all used to know and love.

Demo 2 is being released on Saturday, here is the trailer.

This is the main website, and has a large list of all the characters currently completed. 29 out of 37 (I think) characters have been completed so far.

Project M uses the Brawl engine but instead replaces most of the slow and campy playstyle with Melee mechanics, making it combo-friendly and fast-paced again. Project M also balances the entire cast with competitive play in mind. As an example, Pokemon Trainer's 3 Pokemon have been separated and made 3 powerful standalone characters with their own unique moveset and techniques.

If anybody here is a SSBM fan, but was disappointed with Brawl, I'd recommend that you take a look.
    Quote Originally Posted by senzation54
    I don't care which Christian branch you belong to, unless you belong to one that acknowledges that the entire friggin Bible is a fairy tale that was written by a bunch of different idiots and then voted by a congress on which gospels and crap were actually worthy of being in the Bible, you're an idiot. You're a person who doesn't think for himself and clings to the stupid beliefs his parents forced on him as a child, or you're the even worse kind of idiot who actually started believing this crap as an adult. Either way you're an idiot.

I thought Brawl was a great game. Dunno about competitive PoV, although probably less than 1% of all SSBB players play competitive.

Would you just download this through wii downloads?
    Ramsay Sound Pack

I hope the rest of your day is as pleasant as you are.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Brawl was probably the most unbalanced fighting game there was, but if you banned Snake and Metaknight, it was really not that bad when compared to SSBM. At least the game wasn't centered around an unintentional buggy mechanic (wave-dashing). I enjoyed Brawl a lot more, both competitively and casually. Lighter, floatier characters, less combos, still had chain grabs and some slight wall of pains, but nothing too broken (except metaknight). Melee was surely broken, leaving you to choose between Fox, Falco, and Captain Falcon, with the occasional Jigglypuff or other random cheeser.

I thought the pace of Brawl was very slow and disappointing compared to its predecessor. Both games had their share of imbalanced characters (and useless ones), but I definitely liked Melee's more fast-paced combo-oriented playstyle. Project M takes that same speed and technique and ports it to Brawl, while balancing the entire cast as well. Fox, Falco, Sheik, Captain Falco, etc. are no longer in a league of their own. They still have all the same strengths (in fact, they are almost exactly the same as before), but their weaknesses shine a lot more as well. One of the greatest things about Project M in my opinion is that it's made a lot of the huge, tankier characters viable as well. It's no longer just a game about speed. Bowser is still slow (comparatively to the other characters, though probably much faster than in Brawl), but if he hits you it's going to hurt.

Would you just download this through wii downloads?
    No you have to install the homebrew channel. Homebrew is actually very easy to install and adds a ton of cool features to your Wii like being able to play DVD and AVI files etc. Nintendo doesn't like people doing it per-say, but they can't stop you either. Installing Homebrew is very easy. http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Channel

I used Letterbomb.
    I don't care which Christian branch you belong to, unless you belong to one that acknowledges that the entire friggin Bible is a fairy tale that was written by a bunch of different idiots and then voted by a congress on which gospels and crap were actually worthy of being in the Bible, you're an idiot. You're a person who doesn't think for himself and clings to the stupid beliefs his parents forced on him as a child, or you're the even worse kind of idiot who actually started believing this crap as an adult. Either way you're an idiot.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    I only played Marth in melee. Also, I was a noob, just shifting around the 'c' button smacking other people of zeh field. I did enjoy SSBB, but the only play was a bit buggy for me, to the point where I was never able to find a match so I gave up and came back to HoN...

Just playing off the fact that brawl was intentionally made so it would not be a competitive game, I am going to say that melee was more competitive. I actually watched PeefSmash stream some project M for a while on his channel a few months ago, it seemed okay but I am not really into the whole smash thing anyways.

Signature by: AvunaOs

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanybag View Post
    Brawl was probably the most unbalanced fighting game there was, but if you banned Snake and Metaknight.
    ^^This. I hated people who would spam the invis/teleport thing on Metaknight...... freaking impossible to beat them.
    Last edited by Rayp1st; 04-12-2012 at 05:56 PM. Reason: *facepalm*

Account Icon
    I hate tourney fags. I really do. Keep away from brawl, you Fighting Game Community scum. Seriously.

Anyways, I liked Brawl more than Melee, even if some of my most played characters got ubernerfed between games. I still 1v1 Meta Knights as Ganondorf and win. Anyways, starting SSBIV speculation thread so we can fan-wank over who gets in the next game.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG-g3t97g-g&feature=BFa
    This is how ALL ARTS devs balance their games.

And THIS is how you shut down Pimp Slayer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFOH8KrR1xY

Skeloperch you hate everything.
    Brawl was a terrible game. it failed at being anything close to competitive and it failed at being a party game.
    If you want one or the other you need to go with brawl plus or brawl minus.

I'm hoping the SSB4 doesn't make the same mistakes, but since Icarus is finally out that means they've started development on it. Hopefully it'll be out sometime late 2013.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by skeloperch View Post
    I hate tourney fags. I really do. Keep away from brawl, you Fighting Game Community scum. Seriously.

Anyways, I liked Brawl more than Melee, even if some of my most played characters got ubernerfed between games. I still 1v1 Meta Knights as Ganondorf and win. Anyways, starting SSBIV speculation thread so we can fan-wank over who gets in the next game.
    gets mad at a fighting game community

one sentence later appeals to the same community

likely expecting a friendly response

unfortunately, will probably get them

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by EVA_Unit_02 View Post
    gets mad at a fighting game community

one sentence later appeals to the same community

likely expecting a friendly response

unfortunately, will probably get them
    I'm not appealing to them. I stated I liked Brawl more than Melee, even though the characters that I played the most got hard nerfed (Jiggs, Samus, and Ganondorf). Even though I hate the fighting game community, I'm not bad at fighting games by a long shot. And if you are referring to fan wank, that has nothing to do with it actually being a fighting game. Don't you have fun inserting your poorly constructed 'proof' that x character is going to be in the next Smash game down everyone's throat?

@Loli: It failed at being a 'fighting game' by the FGC standards, and that's because it didn't copy and paste the same boring design philosophy from SF2 that everyone circlejerks over. It was an amazing party game. Even to this day, me and my friends will get together and play a nice match of Brawl. I felt that the only mistakes Brawl made were minor ones, and one major one, which was tripping. **** you, I'm playing Ganondorf, I shouldn't trip because I managed to get into 1st place against all odds.

And yeah, I hate everything. /v/ has turned me into a ephemeral incarnate of the infernal MAD ragecano, which is only found in the molten hell pits of ANGERLIA.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG-g3t97g-g&feature=BFa
    This is how ALL ARTS devs balance their games.

And THIS is how you shut down Pimp Slayer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFOH8KrR1xY

Melee was accepted as a competitive fighting game, and it doesn't follow the "SF2 design philosophy". Brawl was just poorly designed. Random elements such as tripping are god awful. Large amount of floating and nearly no edge-guarding makes the game DRAG on much longer, which makes it boring for both players and spectators. Nearly no hit-stun and moves that knock-back without hit-stun at lower damages make comboing a nightmare.

They took a good game and tried to casualize it more. They succeeded and ended up with a bad product.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    I thought SSB was never meant to be competitive. Didn't the dev's even say that themselves?

Super Smash Bros melee was never meant to be competitive, but it had the competitive workings and decent balance, both of which Brawl lacked.

I honestly see that as an excuse for being lazy, and for seeing their own poor design upon completion.

I just enjoyed playing SSBM with a bunch of friends, why does EVERY game have to be competitive really. People need to relax and just have fun.

Awesome Sig made by Lhune The Incredible.

Project Zomboid An amazing indie survival zombie game
    Suggestion - Spaghetti + Meatball Bramble

I don't know, maybe "competitive" is the wrong word here. I think for a fighting game to be fun, it needs to be balanced and have a large portion of the cast as viable play options (and hopefully nobody that's extremely broken either). Even if you did like Brawl's slower, campier, no-hitstun gameplay, you have to agree that Metaknight is just OP and tripping is retarded.

That's why in HoN and DotA they say "balance for the competitive scene", because even if a game is balanced for competition, it still makes it much better for the casuals. You can't balance for casuals, because casuals aren't playing the game to its fullest potential. In other words, I think balancing a game for competitive play is inherently the best formula to make it fun for everybody.

This is what Project M has tried to do for Brawl.

Account Icon
    wombo combo
    Please visit my thread if your tired of not having any pants http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showthread.php?t=401955

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    street fighter 2 trash talk? who do i have to dumpster in that game to set you straight, ill even beat you in any version, world warrior, champ, hyper, super, super turbo, and ae, doesnt matter to me.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    SSB64 is still the best SSB. The shittiest thing about Brawl, I think, is how god damn wussy Captain Falcon is. Falcon Punch just doesn't have that feel in Brawl. That aside, his stock moves are also complete garbage compared to his 64 counterpart.

I'd sing you a song, but
    I'm just a little hoarse.

Why so serious?
    Anyways, Super Smash is a game you get your friends together to laugh and have fun. It's like Mario Party or Mario kart. Sure sometimes you get that annoying friend who picks meta knight, but that is when you and your other two friend gang up on that *******

For me, I hated the stages in the newest SSBB. They move too much, makes it feel like a platformer, not a fighting stage. I enjoy some enteraction, but that stage that moves in a circle is just the worse ever. Though I do like Warrior Party stage

Thanks Vahn