Thread: Heroes of Newerth - Lore Facts and Speculations

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    I want to point out that savage lore isn't consistent. I prefer to look at it from the point of view of some one in the future of their time line looking at different legends that all have equal validity but disagree in some areas. (which gives wonderful wiggle room for fan interpretation)
    Which is kind of what me and CKmo are doing in our own ways.

CKmo is like as he is, a writer that is creating a vision of Newerth in what he understands of it.
    Whilst I am more like a 'researcher' or 'archaeologist' trying to learn about the world of Newerth by relics, scriptures and writings inside the "ruins" that contain Newerthian lore and history.

If any one wants to work on fleshing out the wiki this runs along the lines of a project that I never got of the grounds. Also out of curiosity how many of you want a lore section? It would mean threads like these wouldn't get as much visibility but on the other hand they wouldn't get lost in gd and there might be more threads about it.
    A lore section for the forums would be nice, I know it may not have the hustle and bustle of General Discussion, but it might be a good start for actual development.
    That and there'd be a good place to directly go to CKmo's own Newerth Lore.

While hon has less lore the fact that its based on a future version of earth lets the story draw on much interesting things in my opinion. A monkey king in lols lore feels out of place but in newerth lore it can feel like ancient legends from earths past are waking up.
    True, that fact actually makes it easier to accept certain things as the scope of Newerthian lore reaches back to even ancient times, one good example being Swiftblade, and as well as time prior to the first coming of the Hellbourne as shown by Aluna's presence.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Here is a general map of what i assume newerth looks like. (note the map is of pangea ultima)

I marked where the different human tribes would be from savage 2 to give a general idea. The beast horde would be pretty much every where humans aren't except the great wastes. Almost every thing east of the scar is probably hellbourne owned (dead and burning) as of HoN. Probably going to work on a more detailed version of it and might do a bit of a write up for some locations.

Forum Moderators are not S2 Games employees. My posts in no way represent the view of S2 Games or any of its staff.

Please use the report post function to have me review a post that you believe is breaking the Forum Rules.
    Check the Sticky Threads for additional information on this sub-forum and the Announcement Threads for more information about Heroes of Newerth as a whole!

-----------------------------

Hmmm... actually, your thought of how its a "point of view of some one in the future of their time line looking at different legends" gave me an idea of something that would be kind of like the League's Journal of Justice. LoL's JoJ is more like a magazine of some sort, however I could probably fashion up something in the form of a journal or research of an Archaeologist from Newerth's future with the 'archaeological findings' found in Newerth.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol

Key

Yuma: A trading town on the edge of the planes and the great waste. Artifacts found in the ruins south of the great waste are transported through this town to the legions strongholds in the central plains. The town got its name when a metal artifact reading "Welcome to Yuma" fell of a wagon killed an evil trader every one hated. The sign was promptly put on display in the town and legand has it the evil traders spirit haunts the waste lands to this day.

Blackwal: Ruled by baron Salforis blackwal was a proud human city with rich farm lands. With the opening of the scar they were abandoned by the legion and left to die. Baron Salforis put up a mighty struggle but with his people dead around him his mind snapped and joined the ranks of the hellbourne. Now blackwal's fields produce legions of undead and Salforis leads them into battle as a Lord of the damned.

Arasunia: A city of zealots devoted to Sol. They citizens of Arasunia often say the scar curves east because it cannot bear to be near their sacred city. Others well out of ear shot whisper that the scar must have curved west under the iron peaks for a city like Arasunia to exist.

South Lands: The South Lands are filled with the ruins of mans past. Many Humans explore these ruins finding ancient technologies to aid them in their fight against the hellbourne.

Frost Field: Large expanse of tundra around the northern tip of the scar.

Iron City: home of the builders where many of the legions weapons are made.

Marsh: home of the frog people

Sanga-La Mountains: Mountains densely forested with bambo. The area around the mountains is the last stronghold of the Legion in the east. Cut of from supplies and help only determination and the hellbournes focus on the west saves them from being overwhelmed.

Seradati Planes: its pretty flat

Forum Moderators are not S2 Games employees. My posts in no way represent the view of S2 Games or any of its staff.

Please use the report post function to have me review a post that you believe is breaking the Forum Rules.
    Check the Sticky Threads for additional information on this sub-forum and the Announcement Threads for more information about Heroes of Newerth as a whole!

Wanted to try my hand at a "JoJ-like" lore post:

Letters of a Boarkin Adventurer - The Ghost of the Sands
    I've just arrived in the bustling merchant town of Yuma, where theres definitely more business going around here than any other settlements in Newerth.

I've yet to head out into the deserted sands of The Great Waste from here, but already I've been warned by the locals of "The Sand Wraith". The Sand Wraith has always been one of those tales circulating around in these areas, a cloaked figure who legend says is a ghost of fallen nomadic warriors that haunt the sandstorms of the desert. Others say that The Sand Wraith is an elemental attuned to sand, no different from the slumbering ancient known as Pebbles in the mountains surrounding the Iron City.

Regardless of his origins, those who claim to have encountered such a legend say the same things when it comes to how they are attacked by this ghost: During the nights or under the cover of a sandstorm, wanderers of the Great Waste are haunted by a cloaked figure. Like a mirage, those who explore in packs encounter more than one of the same ghost, and usually end up breaking apart from their groups in fear and panic. Those who run are pursued by the very sand they walk on, slowing them down as if stuck in quick sand. Those who dare to fight this ghost can only feel the sharp sand scraping against their own flesh, as the ghost's breath feels like a gust of sand itself. The fortunate who are merely wounded and not killed by its sun-heated blade would tell of an unbearable thirst that lingers for almost an eternity.

So I am begin my travels and studies of Newerth in the Great Waste where such a ghost is claimed to exist. It may not have been the wisest decision, but there are way too many ruins in the Great Waste to be explored, that wasting this opportunity would be a sin.

-Keres Raventusk
    Newerthian Archaeologist

I sincerely hope we'll have a proper map someday.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    You are to close to the present. You would be better of writing from a point of view so far in the future its not clear if the hellbourne won or lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Drasha View Post
    You are to close to the present. You would be better of writing from a point of view so far in the future its not clear if the hellbourne won or lost.
    Alright, will remedy it then.

Removing the first few sentences that stated such did the trick it seems.

I think you could place the origins of Engineer and Master of Arms in the Iron City, because:

"Iron City: home of the builders where many of the legions weapons are made."

And as far as I know the Engineer is basically the same as the Builder from Savage. Also it seems reasonable to me that MoA would come from there too.
    I must admit, when I saw the message subject I thought, "Uh-oh, what did I screw up?" - [S2]Woodshed (in response to my latest p.m.)

Letters of a Boarkin Adventurer - Deserted Outpost
    It's only been a day and a half since I set out into the Great Wastes and lo! What luck! I stumbled into what seems to be the remains of an old encampment. The structures however, I can see that it doesn't date far beyond the time of the ancient civilizations. Judging on the materials used in the fortifications and dwellings, I'd bet that this was once an outpost during a historical war. I've heard that beasts and humans used to fight against each other in opposing factions in the past, so I do wonder to which side this outpost belonged to.

As I searched and studied around this ancient outpost, I came upon (well, tripped and fell face flat upon to be exact) a most peculiar item:

Its structure and design looks far different from any of the equipment I've seen in the markets of Yuma or from any of the forges of Iron City. A helmet forged from an unknown metal and by unknown hands. There are a few cracks and what seems to be spots and stains along the front upper right, so I suppose this was definitely one for battle than for ceremony. It won't take too long for me to clean the sand from it at least, and I will bring back with me after my excavating and spelunking here in the Great Wastes. Surely there must be something of the relics I'll find here in the Great Library of Arasunia.

I explored every nook and cranny of this outpost; I found swords, axes, shields and many forms of equipment battered and broken and in poor conditions yet I have not found even one trace of skeletal remains.

Perhaps that one tidbit of information I shrugged off of The Sand Wraith was true, that those who die by its blade are sapped not only of their body water, but of their time and youth as well turning them to dust. It gives me chills just thinking about it, yet I must go in deeper and further into the Great Wastes if I were to find any bit of information about the ancient world.

-Keres Raventusk
    Newerthian Archaeologist

I'll be working on some of the Lore Tier Lists next, I've also gone and moved Engineer and Master of Arms to the Iron City location.

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by kerespup View Post
    @DreadLocks

Anyone can write such a story between the two, but it would take a lot of effort to make things canonical.
    Unlike League of Legends which have canonical 'scrolls' of lore (Journal of Justice), there isn't much we can "Add" to the story yet unless there would be actual support for the Newerth Lore. In other words, unless an S2 representative would also partake in discussions and as well give an effort to make canonical Newerth lore, "additional" or "new" stuff that is written by people that is not based on information that is already given would not exactly hold high relevance to the lore.

Anyhow, regardless of that, a battle between the two giants of the Hellbourne is actually NOT UNLIKELY and is quite possible if you were to think about things. The Hellbourne is rowdy and undisciplined, if there is already infighting within the Legion, what more with the Hellbourne.

There are a bunch of facts to consider as well that would be in the favor of an unfriendly relation between the two giants:

1. The Kraken is quite territorial, be it based on Newerthian lore or mythological lore.
    2. The Cthulhuphant was once a Behemoth that died and was reborn in the depths of the sea.
    3. The Cthulhuphant has is an entity empowered by dark and evil forces.
    4. The Kraken simply enjoys destruction and exhibiting his strength over all.
    I realize this but I wasn't really trying to write lore for the game anyhow. I'm sorry if I wasn't as clear but what I was implying was that, if S2 so chose, they could really expand and give the lore some much needed depth by using hero rivalries. Competitions are always entertaining to watch/read and with the plethora of different heroes in HoN, there really is quite a lot of material to tie heroes together and really dig into why these people are fighting eachother in the first place.

To be more exact, I want to know the relationship between:
    // and possibly

(<----- this one especially)
    // (all of these are ape shaman)
    //
    /
    and finally the one in my sig...
    /

And many many many many others to choose from. HoN's lore has a MASSIVE amount of potential that could be harnessed. It has an interesting setting, that is both atmospheric and flexible, and a large number of intricacies that really need to be dealt into. Lore, while arguably not as important as gameplay, really can be a major boon to any game. It generates interesting discussion amongst it's players and really can set the themes, pace, and design of HoN's future heroes, items, and battlefields.

I really wish that S2 in the future begins to invest some much needed time and polishing into HoN's lore, because it really would help the game in much needed ways.
    Last edited by DreadLocks; 04-13-2012 at 11:30 PM.
    iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiii

I think I'll put up a Relationship list of some sort then, and from there I can expand on stories and stuff.

For example, based on all the info I've collected so far:

is a nomad from the merchant town of Yuma, who is hunting down

Now this gives us plenty of possible stories to use:
    1. Nomad is hunting down Sand Wraith simply because he is a threat to the town of Yuma
    2. Nomad is hunting down Sand Wraith for the sake of vengeance
    3. Nomad knew Sand Wraith (friend, brother, whatever) and is hunting him down to set him at peace.

The story between Moon Queen and Pestilence is pretty much already set in stone, Pestilence used to be Moon Queen's councilor, he couldn't become a king of the Moon Warriors so in anger, he joins the Hellbourne as a means to usurp the Moon Queen from the throne.

There isn't really much of a relation between Pebbles and Magmus, only that they're both Elementals, and Elementals are hardly friendly with each other.

There could be a relation between Thunderbringer and Demented Shaman, you could take it as a Mentor and Student sort of thing, but there's hardly any information about the two of them to build any stories.

Jeraziah, Ophelia and Maliken are the Grimm Family.

Keeper of the Forest is the newest Keeper, and Deadwood is the resurrected husk/corpse of the first Keeper of the Forest.

As for Gunblade and Witchslayer, it's actually quite possible to draw them out as the "Magina and Terrorblade" of HoN. Brothers or whatnot, but that remains to be seen with the very little info we have right now.

Account Icon
    That still raises more questions and speculations, which is what i was going for.

Is Pebbles as old as Magmus? Did he fight him eons ago when the world was still stone, ash, heat, and magma? Was Pebbles the reason Magmus was sealed inside the earth?

Is Tremble a member of an offshoot race from the moon warriors which decided to go into the subterranian depths? Did they know of his existance beforehand? Is his race extinct? Was Pestilence a component in corrupting Tremble or was it solely an accident?

Why did Demented Shaman defect? Was it reasons of power, greed, anger, or vengeance? Is he a part of the same tribe as Thunderbringer? Did he defect at the same time as Bloodhunter? If so, are there other beast defectors that we may see on the hellbourne?

Many of these would probably be answered if the heroes backstories were actually several paragraphs instead of a single sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by DreadLocks View Post
    That still raises more questions and speculations, which is what i was going for.

Is Pebbles as old as Magmus? Did he fight him eons ago when the world was still stone, ash, heat, and magma? Was Pebbles the reason Magmus was sealed inside the earth?

Is Tremble a member of an offshoot race from the moon warriors which decided to go into the subterranian depths? Did they know of his existance beforehand? Is his race extinct? Was Pestilence a component in corrupting Tremble or was it solely an accident?

Why did Demented Shaman defect? Was it reasons of power, greed, anger, or vengeance? Is he a part of the same tribe as Thunderbringer? Did he defect at the same time as Bloodhunter? If so, are there other beast defectors that we may see on the hellbourne?

Many of these would probably be answered if the heroes backstories were actually several paragraphs instead of a single sentence.
    Yes, this is definitely the kind of progression that I was hoping for with this thread. For questions to be asked, for people to speculate and the like.

It's through these speculations that game lore is conceptualized and eventually made, and previous short stories describing Heroes are expanded on and developed through such speculations.

The Moon Warriors I believe are a grounded race of Insectoids, whilst Tremble's species are underground, whilst Monarch's race are aerial.

Demented Shaman's defect was for reasons of power. He defected to the Hellbourne after having learned everything that the Beast Horde had to offer.

Anyhow, these questions are actually what gives rise to deep lore for everything in Newerth which eventually develop into new ideas and new concepts.

----------------

Take Ashe from League of Legends for example.

Her original lore simply stated that she was one the lone survivor of a group of hunters.

Then because of the question: "Who are these group of hunters"

Her lore was updated and changed to answer this, now it stated that she was one of the princesses of the Frejlords.

Then another question (after a lot of revisions) rose: "Who are the other princesses"

It led to the conceptualization of another Frejlord princess: Sejuani which became an actual Champion in LoL.

This shows how Lore is a useful tool in the creation of new ideas and concepts as well as presenting players with some interesting detail to each character.

-------------------

UPDATED the top post with a list of characters grouped by Factions/Groups/Cults/etc.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by DreadLocks View Post
    You know what would be awesome? A very aggressive rivalry between Kraken and Cthulhuphant. I mean, think about it. Both of them are gigantic, imposing, tough-as-nails brutes who were both created in the exact same place: The depths of the ocean.

Cthulhuphant claims to be ancient god, reborn through a behemoths carcass to bring the entirety of Newerth to its knees through the heavy chains of insanity, despair, and terror. The sky will crack with his call, the birds, beasts, and men of the earth will collapse from his footsteps, and the very sea will boil from his rage. All will be enslaved and driven to insanity, for he is the old one and none shall escape him. The whole of newerth shall be his sacrificial alter and they shall kneel on the bloodcovered stones, broken from despair as his tusks rip their flesh and crush their bones. He is eternal. He is endless. He is the undying king.

Kraken is a ravenous beast who has pilfered, plagued, and devastated the seas of ships and sailors alike to sate it's unending hunger and to fill its ever gaping maw. He has ravaged the oceans for eons, ruling his domain with brine and anchor, and the rage of the ocean itself. So for this...rotting corpse...to emerge from his ocean and claim ownership over his domain is a call for blood in and of itself. The Kraken wishes to drown Newerth in an endless ocean, sinking the earth until not even the mountains will break it's pristine surface. Cthulhuphant can have his alter...as long as he enjoys sacrificing fish. None shall usurp Kraken as lord of the deeps, for none shall survive it's depths.

Basically, what I'm getting as is Kraken and Cthulhuphant being at each others throats, because Kraken refuses to bow to this...aberration...due to his power and pride, and Cthulhuphant refuses to have a lowly fish defy his call and destroy his throne (I.E. The Land).

I mean really, who wouldn't want to see Kraken and Cthulhuphant in an open plain, surrounded by the corpses of the fallen (from a fresh skirmish/ambush/battle no doubt), staring each other down. In an instant, they charge at eachother, backed by dark power, and backed by the rage of the ocean itself. As they collide, the very plain buckles from their combined weight and strength. What was once flat earth is now ravines, chasms, and mountains and standing in the middle of the cataclysm are the two titans trading blows, each refusing to give ground to its rival. Each blow, strike, block, grapple, and counter sends shockwaves through the ground, causing earthquakes and tsunamis the world over. From their battle one shall fall and when his shattered body collapses, the victor shall regain their birthright and destiny.

O.O

SO
    EPIC.
    Man, is this guy peeking at my notebooks or what. Next thing I know he'll be predicting The Return, Clash in Frostfield, and Blight.

Corrupted Disciple, what is his orb and how did he get it? why did he defect to the Hellbourne, was it because the Hellbourne corrupted him or because he chose to be corrupted? how powerful is he compared to other corrupted disciples and what is his rank within the Hellbourne, is he a pawn, a mighty soldier or even a valuable lieutenant? are all or some of his powers unique or do all corrupted disciples share them?

And, how are the Hellbourne united? are they united? it seems strange to me that some/most of the Hellbourne heroes would care so much for a united purpose. Is it really just for the sake of the game and they are much more individual in ''real'' HoN?

Awesome thread, i also think that S2 should focus more on HoNs lore. Especially the map... i really think they should make an official one.
    Last edited by Ocean; 04-14-2012 at 03:46 PM.

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by CKMo View Post
    Man, is this guy peeking at my notebooks or what. Next thing I know he'll be predicting The Return, Clash in Frostfield, and Blight.
    Great minds thing alike I suppose.

I predict that you are setting up to become flux. Why? Because he's a trapped under the earth, has lost one of his arms and was captured by the hellbourne.

Not that hard to put it together.

It's not really that hard to link possible rivalries, stories and whatnot based on different data or information already given. The only thing that would possibly differ between your thoughts and his is on how you would carry out the story (as Drasha mentioned).

I predict that you are setting up to become flux. Why? Because he's a trapped under the earth, has lost one of his arms and was captured by the hellbourne.
    It's more of an 'obvious' story since it's already been pre-described within Flux's lore that he was a legionnaire, and the Legionnaire in HoN doesn't pertain to a unique entity.

Saying one of the legionnaires will become Flux is pretty much already a truth since Flux's lore already stated that.

However saying something like:
    The Legionnaire named Arcturus
    The Legionnaire named Diabolos
    The Legionnaire named Ironfang

will turn into Flux

Is a much harder thing to validate or predict.

Note: Those names aren't real.

Corrupted Disciple, what is his orb and how did he get it? why did he defect to the Hellbourne, was it because the Hellbourne corrupted him or because he chose to be corrupted? how powerful is he compared to other corrupted disciples and what is his rank within the Hellbourne, is he a pawn, a mighty soldier or even a valuable lieutenant? are all or some of his powers unique or do all corrupted disciples share them?
    The Corrupted Disciple('s/s') orb(s) is/are simply sources of power and dark energies that have long been placed in Newerth by daemons for the intent of corruption. There are many corrupted disciples (you could say Maliken is an example), however the corrupted disciple you see in Newerth is just one of the examples of priests and magi from "The Sacred Order" that have traded in their Sol-given powers for the dark energies of the Hellbourne. Most likely through taint and corruption that have been ongoing for a long while now.

Corrupted Disciples are just pawns to the Hellbourne's corruption.

And, how are the Hellbourne united? are they united? it seems strange to me that some/most of the Hellbourne heroes would care so much for a united purpose. Is it really just for the sake of the game and they are much more individual in ''real'' HoN?
    The Hellbourne, if you talk about the entities that were spawned from Hell in the events of the Scar, are indeed united as they only share one reason and one reason alone to purge all life from Newerth.

Based on the recurring appearance of the Hellbourne whenever the world is filled with too much chaos and discord through war and suffering, the Hellbourne is like the world's own "Reset Button" designed by hell. It purges the world of all sources of chaos and discord (ironically), which are the entities of free will on Newerth. After the purge is done, the Hellbourne becomes quenched and return to hell, and those of free will who survive the purge are to begin anew.

Think of the Hellbourne as "The Great Flood" in religion.

Based on the example by Drasha wherein Newerth lore is simply written by those who are from the future of Newerth, you can obviously see that whether it is the Legion or Hellbourne is the victor, it is still the same: Life Goes On.

If you're talking about "The Hellbourne" heroes in HoN's game, no they are not all united.

Some of them are merely maniacs to their own devices. Some of them are long standing legends and phantoms of Newerth (Plague Rider, Wretched Hag, Voodoo Jester, etc). The kinds of legends and folklore that people would tell their children and whatnot. *cough* Toothfairy *cough* Boogeyman *cough* etc.

Excerpt from the Diary of a Mad Priest
    Why do we fight? What purpose does it serve for The Legion of Man to only prolong their suffering. We have all sinned! We have all walked down the path of corruption and taint! Those foolish lost souls who still bear their arms and fight the inevitable, screaming out glory in Sol's name. How can they not see, that it is Sol himself who has passed down this judgement on us! The Hellbourne is no different from the Great Flood in the ancient text. We are being punished by the gods for our sins! I have long served Sol's light and I have long studied the ancient scriptures, it is futile to resist the gods' judgement. I warned them, I warned all of them from the start! Yet now here I am imprisoned, here I am to be burned as a heretic or daemon-possessed. The Hellbourne will never cease to exist, for as long as free will, for as long as life exists. They will always be there at the ready, to cleanse these lands with brutal fire.

We brought this end upon ourselves!

May Sol have mercy on the souls of those who still resist his judgement... I shall await my brethren in the Elysian Fields...

This was the only readable text recovered within the book, everything else has been stained by blood or burnt by fire during the mass burning at the stakes in Arasunia.

- The past is the past, and should remain in the past -