Thread: Persons IQ and HoN Ranking.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Though there is some level of intelligence needed to be able to get a high rating (the need to understand how heroes/tactics work and how to execute them), practice and reflexes are probably a more determining factor. Most highly intelligent gamers probably play more to have some fun than to try and reach the top competitive level in the game, which results in them playing less focussed.

Though the other way around should prove to be true, the players with a very low level of intelligence will most likely make up the bottom of the mmr pool. This just because their brains are unequipped to react properly to things ingame.

Account Icon
    Genius can live in the dirt. And who was that poster that said intelligence came in many different forms? What's IQ measure? Your ability to take a test? Well poop, I sure wish real life was like a standardized test.

Account Icon
    Genius, Talent, IQ, potential, they're all the same thing.

I am a fun loving genius.

Account Icon
    Highly doubt that a higher IQ is the cause of a higher MMR.
    Perhaps there's a small correlation between the two
    but there are many other factors that make up a higher ranking player other than intelligence.
    Things like:
    • Time
      • Spent playing
      • Learning mechanics
      • Experience in different situations

• Reaction time
    • Judgement
    • Team
      • Carried by clan/friends, etc.

Causation is too difficult to determine.

Quote Originally Posted by oberbreit View Post
    experience, tactics, mastering > iq imo
    Mastering something through repetition has very little to do with IQ

/thread
    Quote Originally Posted by SyleSpawn View Post
    Before playing HoN, I was a sane man. Now that I am playing HoN, I kept being diagnosed as being mentally ill (mad) day long by the high qualified doc in my team (and also the other one). I am starting to think that I must be really mad.
    ^Maybe we are all mad?

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Understanding how things work helps too.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    But would only affect the period during which are you grasping the fundamentals of the game, as I already stated.

Anybody can understand the depth and complexity that comes with playing any game, however the more time invested, obviously the sooner (relatively; given that you are investing more time into it compared to other activities) you understand the intricacies. Intelligence speeds up the process by an indeterminable amount relative to your laziness and/or aptitude for the type of gaming you are doing (in this case, single/multi-unit micromanagement).

Forum Moderators are not S2 Games employees. My posts in no way represent the view of S2 Games or any of its staff.

Please use the report post function to have me review a post that you believe is breaking the Forum Rules.
    Check the Sticky Threads for additional information on this sub-forum and the Announcement Threads for more information about Heroes of Newerth as a whole!

-----------------------------

Kenhek - another Hero Suggestion | My blog! (updated 29/07/14: How I Started My First Game)

Obviously experience is the key factor in becoming a high tier player, having intelligence may assist in ones ability to improve and pick up the skills of the game faster, but I doubt it has a huge role.

Account Icon
    I wonder what Nobel laureates would think of HoN...

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by MutantJohn View Post
    I wonder what Nobel laureates would think of HoN...
    Who?
    Also you mean the genre.
    HoN is not original/new.

I have a friend I tried to introduce to HoN who has a physics Phd, and having known him for the last 6 years I can tell you he by far the smartest person I know. He sunk down to 1300 and has currently managed to hover around 1350'ish. Even after a month I still saw him making the most rudimentary errors.

I think the key here is talent, not IQ or real world intelligence. Some folks are talented with music, some at math, some at basketball, and some at videogames. Games like HoN have more to do with knowledge and muscle memory, less to do with critical thinking and problem solving. The only significant link between HoN success and RL success would be one's teamwork skills - something that is vital in most occupational fields.

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by gungergong View Post
    I have a friend I tried to introduce to HoN who has a physics Phd, and having known him for the last 6 years I can tell you he by far the smartest person I know. He sunk down to 1300 and has currently managed to hover around 1350'ish. Even after a month I still saw him making the most rudimentary errors.

I think the key here is talent, not IQ or real world intelligence. Some folks are talented with music, some at math, some at basketball, and some at videogames. Games like HoN have more to do with knowledge and muscle memory, less to do with critical thinking and problem solving. The only significant link between HoN success and RL success would be one's teamwork skills - something that is vital in most occupational fields.

One month isn't nearly enough time. Lol.

An einstein just did wonderful in school an other aspects of life. brehs

there is intelligence measured as iq(Intelligence quotient).Intelligence is also divided logic-math int,spatial int,inter-intrapersonal int.
    Also there is thinking which is not related to intelligence but the common human plant may think so.
    intelligence is commonly defined as the ability of a individual to make correlations between multiple variables/factor in the fastest possible time.
    When you confront a new situation/problem (get over it your not ****ing intelligent for successfully doing the same **** over and over again) depending on how intelligent you are you fix/resolve it faster or slower.
    there is limit when it becomes thinking.

So no there is little correlation between iq and ranking.-just because there are also a lof of others variables that cant interfere in ranking and your performance ingame.
    Also im pretty sure i didnt explain properly what i was actually thinking.

No not really.
    It's all senseless randomness.

Just look at the amount of 1500 players stuck there after over 1000 games.
    Experience doesn't matter.
    If they're unsmart they will be stuck there and they will keep blaming their teams for their losses.

Quote Originally Posted by ReD`RubY View Post
    Just look at the amount of 1500 players stuck there after over 1000 games.
    Experience doesn't matter.
    If they're unsmart they will be stuck there and they will keep blaming their teams for their losses.
    This.

If a person is unable to understand why he is losing and what he is doing wrong, he will never get out of the 1200-1600 bracket.

Account Icon
    Intelligence doesn't have anything to do with it. We can all debate how high our IQ's are (really how many people have actually had it tested here? Very few) but it is irrelevant. HoN is like many games or sports, where you don't have to have a super high IQ to be exceptional. Sure it might help with some things, but your IQ score is made up of many different aspects so you may be very smart but have no grasp of the way a game flows or how to act under certain circumstances.
    I know many incredibly intelligent people (with very high IQ's) that suck at HoN or sport because they don't read the play well when they are actually in it, they just don't have that game intelligence you need. While many people with lower IQ's just have a real game sense and can read a game (whatever game/sport it is they play) and be exceptional at it, while barely being able to string a comprehensive sentence together.

Intelligence may be a factor but it is only a limited one.

Plus there are other aspects like reflexes, co-ordination, creativity (many high IQ people still lack the ability to be creative or think on the fly), adaptability and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonguh View Post
    I have a very high IQ that could rival einstein if I bothered to study etc. My rating sucks tho cause of these noobs on my team
    4char
    sorry bro, no cool Sig for you, too many infractions.

S2'd

Formally known as `SOBRAVE (bad habit of getting a name change every 2 months or so)

It seems to me that all of you failed in this thread.

IQ is measured into a lot of "Boxes" of different IQ and therefore IQ /= MMR in a direct way as you donno which IQ is present in HoN. You may have an high IQ at logic but a very bad IQ at prediction and therefore fail because you could not foresee the ambush on you.

Hope all of you learned a bit of what other learned at 4th grade 10 years ago