Thread: Persons IQ and HoN Ranking.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by golvellius View Post
    I think a better correlation would be the inverse relationship between Hon Ranking and Personal success in the real world.
    Wouldn't it be better to have a 1300mmr and be a paid professional or a 2000 mmr couch potato at the parents house?

Its called 1720 PSR IRL.

There are a few factors that play into HoN rankings whether it be MMR or PSR. I do not believe that a person's base IQ is one of them. Although intelligence plays a part in the ability to effectively play the game, other factors play into this as well.

1)Time played - The longer you've played the game the more you know about it giving you an advantage over someone brand new who could possibly be smarter than you.
    2)Teamplay - If you've played the game with a group of friends the entire time you've been playing, then you will win the majority of those games despite being against the odds due to the synergy of your teamplay.
    3)Instinct - Knowing when to back, push, or even take a certain path to ensure the kill or juke is something that's learned as you play and grows with experience.

Although intelligence does play a factor into your skill rating it is not the single identifier in a higher than average rating.

Quote Originally Posted by golvellius View Post
    I think a better correlation would be the inverse relationship between Hon Ranking and Personal success in the real world.
    Wouldn't it be better to have a 1300mmr and be a paid professional or a 2000 mmr couch potato at the parents house?
    Wouldn't it be better to be a heroin junkie than a guy sniffing glue?

Quote Originally Posted by Voldemort` View Post
    Wat? It's impossible to calculate your MMR since there are too many unknown variables to take into account. If you simply ask people their IQ in regards with their current MMR rating, you'd get no real result. Merely a false interpretation of connections which could be translated in numrous different ways. Since people can be smurfing, getting boosts etc. you'd also get a lot of statistically anomalies.

Simply put, IQ is just a quotient derived from tests to assess intelligence a kind of intelligence, when in reality there's a lot of ways to be intelligent in. I can't see any connection with the two. Mozart was a genius when it comes to music, but I doubt he'd have a great career being a soccerplayer. Both different types of intelligence.

All in all, the tests mostly used in standard IQ tests can't be in any way applied to HoN.
    You're absolutely right; but I believe you misinterpreted my message. Simply put, what decides if you are going to become a succesful HoN player or not is the amount of time spent playing multiplied by a factor of your general ability (see: WP article on g), i.e if you are exceptionally gifted 1 hr of playing HoN will have superior "performance" yields compared to if you are at just average intelligence. This is by no means true in extremis but it is a simplified version of the reality.

@trigshady: I'll get back to you on this, carpe noctem!

Account Icon
    I have 1700 mmr and probebly 1500 games played and my IQ is (according to free internet tests) somewhere between 110 and 130. But I really don't think IQ matters. It's all about game knowledge and experience plus some mouse + keyboard skills and on some level talent.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    I took an IQ test a few years ago just to know, scored a 106 which I guess is pretty average. I'm a lower 1600's MMR player with 369 MMR games played. :3

Forum Moderators are not S2 Games employees. My posts in no way represent the view of S2 Games or any of its staff.

Please use the report post function to have me review a post that you believe is breaking the Forum Rules.
    Check the Sticky Threads for additional information on this sub-forum and the Announcement Threads for more information about Heroes of Newerth as a whole!

-----------------------------

|Training Grounds Moderator | Support (1st/2nd)/Suicide Ringer For 1700-1800+ Scrims | Cupcake Baker ☆彡

wouldn't that mean competitive players are masterminds or smth?

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    IQ tests are a bad (or at best, flawed) way of measuring your intelligence, given that the notion of intelligence hasn't been categorically defined. Furthermore the nature of IQ tests tends to favour certain mindsets and/or people with talents in matching areas (logic and arithmetic, generally).

With regards to playing the game, raw intelligence can count for very little. Reaction times are not linked to intelligence. The number of items you can hold in your memory at any one time does not scale with your intelligence (IIRC it's fixed biologically; can't remember if you can improve this number by training or not). Intelligence itself only affects your ability to learn the game within a fixed amount of time.

Forum Moderators are not S2 Games employees. My posts in no way represent the view of S2 Games or any of its staff.

Please use the report post function to have me review a post that you believe is breaking the Forum Rules.
    Check the Sticky Threads for additional information on this sub-forum and the Announcement Threads for more information about Heroes of Newerth as a whole!

-----------------------------

Kenhek - another Hero Suggestion | My blog! (updated 29/07/14: How I Started My First Game)

Account Icon
    I think the only reason more people aren't pros is because they play for fun, tbh. You only get better when you want to get better. And, well, not just that but also being taught or shown the best techniques also really helps. You need to have someone come in and then watch your play and see every little thing you could do perfectly and then you try for that really, really hard.

I ain't that into it, tbh. I do like carrying games which requires a certain degree of good and I notice the stuff I miss sometimes too but I don't care. It is a symptom of laziness and being bad. Okay, I totally care. But I think my mentality has shifted to, well, the only way is to just keep trying. I've noticed that in a lot of pro games, even if it's a stomp, the losing team never, ever gives up. I can't tell you how many games I've lost where we gave up complete map control from the first third of the game on. And it's because people just wanna cc.

You know, back in my day, we didn't have this 'cc' or whatever you HoN kids call it. Sure, there was !ff for forfeit but only newbs played DotAPub. Now imagine in the days when you couldn't cc the monsters that people would be. Swiftblade pushes r and gets a rampage!

Edit: I think it's e, not r.

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo`` View Post
    back in the beta when like 8 of my rl mates started with hon (all 9 of us were new to this game, beside of like 10-20 dota games in lans) I made the experience that the smarter ones of us increased our ratings way faster than the not so smart ones (looking at the # of games obviously), like me + 2 mates (the smart ones, hehe) got to 1650 psr damn quickly, while the other guys all dropped down to ~1300-1400 psr and slowly climbed up to 1500 psr over weeks and are now still hovering at 1400-1600 mmr

I think IQ is a factor for being higher mmr, but not the most important one
    I have a friend who's like this, compared to us other friends who climbed faster. But he had little gaming experience, especially regarding PC:s, compared to us.
    It's not like he's dumber than us.
    You're sure no such factors were present?
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Quote Originally Posted by Grizfang View Post
    I believe someone who is intelligent will never drop to 1200, nor will someone who is genuinely stupid rise to 1800. Beyond that theres too many other factors to consider like timespend, attitude and rng ("your" mmr is a range, not a single number)

ps being carried by 4 mates does not count.
    and how does intelligence translate into gaming skill? a friend of mine was at 800 psr way back when there was no mmr, hes studying at the university with me. believe me or not, he is intelligent...

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandam0n1um View Post
    and how does intelligence translate into gaming skill? a friend of mine was at 800 psr way back when there was no mmr, hes studying at the university with me. believe me or not, he is intelligent...
    Ye but is he messing around in the game?
    I refuse to believe Uni student going 800 MMR.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    128iq and can be 1850+ if i would play more.

But the thing is that experience is everything in games like hon. You learn from them and get a "feel" for the game, which affects your decisionmaking and therefore your ability to play the game well.

Higher IQ may help in this learning process, but anyone can get a feel for the game, regardless of IQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonguh View Post
    I have a very high IQ that could rival einstein if I bothered to study etc. My rating sucks tho cause of these noobs on my team
    U are Dunning Kruger.
    look that up.

Also, IQ got an indirect connection to MMR imo. Just by judging by my irl friends I can say that the ones being stupid is stuck around 1500 and the smarter ones are higher or alot higher.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by ReD`RubY View Post
    U are Dunning Kruger.
    look that up.

Also, IQ got an indirect connection to MMR imo. Just by judging by my irl friends I can say that the ones being stupid is stuck around 1500 and the smarter ones are higher or alot higher.
    What's Dunning Kruger?

Quote Originally Posted by ReD`RubY View Post
    U are Dunning Kruger.
    look that up.

Dunning Kruger is not a person. You meant to say that he is suffering from the Dunning-Kruger effect (of which you've learnt from reading the HoN forums)

IQ definitely has an effect on MMR, however it doesn't mean that you cant be high MMR if you're not smart. Think of this as someone who studies alot and goes to a top university. The general consensus would be "Oh, that guy must be smart!" but he doesn't HAVE to be smart, just he doesn't have to be stupid. If someone has an average IQ but works hard, he will achieve it. The same applies for HoN. Most people in higher brackets are on average smarter than the lower brackets. Some people in the lower brackets are smart but don't have the talent or dont "work hard".

Quote Originally Posted by MojoSpirit View Post
    What's Dunning Kruger?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Also to the one that said that you can play hon 1950 but be a couch potato, [or something] , in a way most of the before-modern-era geniuses lived in dirt , mostly because they didn't want to adapt to a "defunct " system , in a way , the way you life can't be defined as how smart you are , it's like saying all the rich people are smart and intelligent and understand the world , and also in way saying that all rich people would be good at hon.

I like turtle

Quote Originally Posted by FinalChapter View Post
    I like turtle
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by iKyi View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Also to the one that said that you can play hon 1950 but be a couch potato, [or something] , in a way most of the before-modern-era geniuses lived in dirt , mostly because they didn't want to adapt to a "defunct " system , in a way , the way you life can't be defined as how smart you are , it's like saying all the rich people are smart and intelligent and understand the world , and also in way saying that all rich people would be good at hon.
    Name a genius who lived in the dirt?
    You're Ayn Rand Atlas Shrugged BS is nausiating.