Thread: Why no tournaments?

Why no tournaments?

Was thinking.. I know Hontour takes a lot of time to start and stuff like that, but why aren't S2 at least trying to keep the people who are leaving?

I mean what would 10k mean to Maliken? Probably nothing..

What would 10k mean to the competitive scene? The biggest pricepool since NASL and probably something to keep some players here.

So my question is.. Why not? One freaking reason..

Quote Originally Posted by LoLPlaya_ View Post
    I mean what would 10k mean to Maliken? Probably nothing..
    You truly believe that, don't you? In your mind everythings just simple happy sunshine.
    S2 is still an indie developer without the player capacity of LoL who throw money at it like mad.

They probably have to pay around 200k bucks per year in salary (without extras). Add to that the rent of the office building and mainenance fees on servers. How much profit do you think they make and how much of that goes into new/updated equipment and contracts with server holders?

You and me both can't nail that one down. Sure is though that it isn't that simple.

I'd prefer that they reduced the HonTour beta season to 50k, and instead launched 5 x10k tournaments.
    If it was too much to pay 10k's.

Quote Originally Posted by Gringos View Post
    You truly believe that, don't you? In your mind everythings just simple happy sunshine.
    S2 is still an indie developer without the player capacity of LoL who throw money at it like mad.

They probably have to pay around 200k bucks per year in salary (without extras). Add to that the rent of the office building and mainenance fees on servers. How much profit do you think they make and how much of that goes into new/updated equipment and contracts with server holders?

You and me both can't nail that one down. Sure is though that it isn't that simple.
    Someone calculated how much they make on ONE avatar. It was a big sum.

Also Cvein is something. Just freaking give the competitors something. 1200 Gosu Cup won't be enough.

I must agree on both gringos and cvein they should be careful with their money because there are allot of expences but reducing the prizepool of hontour and putting some money in smaller tournaments might keep the competitive alive some more

I mean you can make a pretty cool tournament with a 10k prize pool and make it last (with qualifiers) just as long until hontour will come out that way S2 might get all the flamers and such to be quite for some time so they can work on HoNTour in peace and can concentrate on it without interference of anyone that complain's so i must say cvein that is really a smart idea i do hope that S2 will do something with it.

Hell, even a 5k monthly tournament would be better than what we have now. Really, 5k is not a lot for practically any company and it would do a world of good. I am not surprised big HoN players are moving to Dota 2. Sure, at the end of the day it's a hobby, but getting payed for your hobby is much better than not.

I really love this game, but man, I'm sure I would move to Dota 2 if the HoN comp scene would die. Watching pros play is tournaments is part of the enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by LoLPlaya_ View Post
    Hell, even a 5k monthly tournament would be better than what we have now. Really, 5k is not a lot for practically any company and it would do a world of good.
    I must agree that everything above the 5k prize pool would lure the competitive scene back in but they should really take it from the reserved HoNTour money instead of any other because 100k is allot of money and taking 5k away could keep the competitive scene alive just so HoNTour can come out.

Because SoonTour is coming HoN.

They hired phil. Phil thought it was okay to let 4 months elapse from Dreakhack Winter till HoNtour without having a decent tournament to keep the competitive players interested in HoN.

The 10k tournament would take about 2 months when you hyped it, had qualifier stages and seeded rounds. Instead Phil did nothing except sanction gold coin tournaments.

What happened was all these cosmetic changes dominated the public spotlight. Couple this with Dogkaiser's lack of interest in putting out lots of balances changes and everyone was talking about how S2 is not doing anything for the comp scene and only cares about making money.

A 10k tournament would probably give S2 about 2 months of relief of community pressure. S2 decided to put all their money in phil's HoNtour basket, so we'll see how that goes.
    Wiping my butt is like trying to get peanut butter out of shag carpet.