Thread: Starting items on support?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Urith View Post
    What makes you think I don't buy wards? You can only buy two wards at the start of the game, and buying two wards and the courier upgrade all by yourself before the first creep waves is just ridiculous.
    Really though what are you saving the 200 for, fast boots? The courier is needed anyway so might as well get it sooner rather than later.

I play support assuming I'll have to do it all myself -- which is usually true. So go all out and play smartly. You'll benefit your team and better still you'll learn to play better with minimal items. Some games will REALLY suck because you are literally itemless, but when you finally find someone who helps you support you'll feel like you can contribute so much with a few items.

Final note to all the above: Don't pick hard support if you have a gut feel that your team is retarded. You'll just hate yourself when your carry can't actually carry you when you could have just dominated as a strong mid, or sidelane carry.

P.S. minor totems are the best way to fill out the inventory when you're done buying!

Quote Originally Posted by KillBei View Post
    Really though what are you saving the 200 for, fast boots? The courier is needed anyway so might as well get it sooner rather than later.

I play support assuming I'll have to do it all myself -- which is usually true. So go all out and play smartly. You'll benefit your team and better still you'll learn to play better with minimal items. Some games will REALLY suck because you are literally itemless, but when you finally find someone who helps you support you'll feel like you can contribute so much with a few items.

Final note to all the above: Don't pick hard support if you have a gut feel that your team is retarded. You'll just hate yourself when your carry can't actually carry you when you could have just dominated as a strong mid, or sidelane carry.

P.S. minor totems are the best way to fill out the inventory when you're done buying!
    I spend it on a crown, two minor totems and regen. This is to babysit/harass properly. If you spend 400 gold on wards/courier you will have trouble babysitting/harassing. And don't you dare bring the ¨YOU DON'T NEED ITEMS TO HARASS/BABYSIT PROPERLY, YOU JUST NEED SKILL, DURRRRRR¨.

It depends on my team
    noone buys wards/up courier >>> [2 totems-1 runes-2 wards-up cour]
    someone buys one ward >>> [2 totems- 2 runes - 1 ward - up cour]
    there is another support >>> [4 totems-2 runes- up cour] OR [2 totems - 1 runes- +2 armor to make ring in lane when i get 325]

2x runes, one health potion, one mana potion, 1 ward and rest on stats-items.

Account Icon
    When I play with my team and we only have 1 true support hero he usually gets something like:

Flying:Courier: :WardOfSight::WardOfSight::HealthPotion::ManaPotion:

Flying:Courier: :WardOfSight::WardOfSight::HealthPotion::manapotio n::ManaPotion:
    lol, so after he's laned a while and sitting on 300/490 HP, what to do? waste the HP pot, wait to get bloodlusted or hog the courier for some more regen?
    If you go :Courier: :WardOfSight::WardOfSight:, it's either :MinorTotem::MinorTotem::RunesOfTheBlight: or :RunesOfTheBlight::HealthPotion: and pray that your opponents suck either way
    :vind: "Proclamation was made, in the King's Name, for all Persons to keep Silence" - House of Lords Journal, Volume 20, 24 June 1717

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    For me the usual (provided I'm the only support, which I usually am) is: :MinorTotem::MinorTotem::WardOfSight::WardOfSight: :HealthPotion::RunesOfTheBlight::ManaPotion: :ManaPotion:

If there is another support the wards are usually split and I keep the 100g to get an earlier monkey. Ofc the build varies, for example on DS i usually start with guardian ring to get early ring of the teacher.

while upgrading the courier is a MUST...in my bracket upgrading it at start is really not worth it...but i do have it upgraded as soon as i collect my first 200...and that seems fairly reasonable as most people won't be microing the courier anyway and just running or tping back n forth to fountain...the only time i make an exception is when someone asks me to do it so i do it instantly(happened to me a couple of times....two matches actually...same guy ended up on my team and went mid...demanded courier to be upgraded so i did it)

to the person who mentioned gravelocket...yes, gravelocket is a very cheap utility item that is MUST on support...and just about every intel heroes or if u need quick stats as u gonna be picking up defensive items like :ShamansHeaddress::HelmOfTheBlackLegio early on

I see :GraveLocket: on support as a way to use :stri: while having the survivability and mana pool advantages of :Steamboots:.
    so try to finish a :GraveLocket::stri::MysticVestments: core right after the laning phase ends
    As for :PowerSupply: vs :GraveLocket: vs :FortifiedBracelet::
    :PowerSupply: - effectiveness depends on enemy heroes. Doesn't help you as much if you can be bursted down before you can activate it
    :GraveLocket: - more expensive, but adds considerably more stats than other choices when charged. Bonus max mana is considerable on heroes like . The respawn timer reduction might be valuable sometimes, e.g. holding a sustained push.
    :FortifiedBracelet: - slightly better than uncharged :PowerSupply: and :GraveLocket:, also builds into :Astrolabe:. Not much else going for it though.
    :vind: "Proclamation was made, in the King's Name, for all Persons to keep Silence" - House of Lords Journal, Volume 20, 24 June 1717

:Astrolabe: is another must have items on support heroes...since quite alot of them are fairly squishy u need to build a :FortifiedBracelet: anyways....ur :GraveLocket: gives u enough mana to pop it in a fight for some healing....and just about all the time, a :RingOfSorcery: is also a worthy consideration BUT just about all the time someone like has made it so the team's on the spot mana and health problems are kinda reduced

:PowerSupply::PowerSupply::PowerSupply::PowerSuppl y:
    most overpowered item in the game. 100% must have always.
    :GraveLocket: 2nd most op. 100% must have always.

on Plague Rider - Courier up, 1x ward, runes, 4x minor totem

If i'm the only support and not plague - 1x ward for me, 1x ward on chicken, runes, pretender's crown, mana pot, get two last hits and up courier.

If there's another support - 1x ward for me, pretenders crown, runes, mana pot, either +3 str or +3 int depending on if I plan on going astro or grave lock first, or keep the money and get a mana battery in lane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carcharhinus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master_One View Post
    Go watch Bad Boys 1 & 2. Then you should know.
    Ah, the Bad Boys movies. The gold standard for race relations.

2x:WardOfSight::HealthPotion::RunesOfTheBlight: :MinorTotem: :MinorTotem:+:MinorTotem: or :ManaPotion1 or 2)
    easy as that

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    :FlyingCourier: / :WardOfSight: , :WardOfSight: and :MinorTotem: , :MinorTotem: , :RunesOfTheBlight: , :ManaPotion: , :ManaPotion: , :HealthPotion:

I always go with those.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    HARD SUPPORT:
    :RunesOfTheBlight: :HealthPotion: :MinorTotem: :MinorTotem: :WardOfSight: :FlyingCourier:
    :RunesOfTheBlight: :HealthPotion: :MinorTotem: :MinorTotem: :ManaPotion: :ManaPotion: :WardOfSight: :WardOfSight:

SEMI-SUPPORT:
    :RunesOfTheBlight: :RunesOfTheBlight: :PretendersCrown: :MinorTotem: :MinorTotem: :WardOfSight:
    Last edited by Jenova26; 03-30-2012 at 05:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodTzimisce View Post
    Well I was and two friends on MM and other aviation 3 friends on the other team ... he guesses all cartoons of the rampage and still warns his team who the hell in charge, and when you buy in the blink he uses PK fog giving stun allyados mine
    www.itsgosu.com

My Hero Guides

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    I never do the Fly Cour + 2 Wards together at start. I play aggressive on the harass (I pride myself in how well I beat up and box out opponents), so it benefits me to have more regen/defense than my opponents, so that 200 gold is better spent on more regen/stats/Guardian Ring. Getting the 200 gold by the time the cour's usually used by mid isn't tough unless you get killed early. :P

Forum Moderators are not S2 Games employees. My posts in no way represent the view of S2 Games or any of its staff.

Please use the report post function to have me review a post that you believe is breaking the Forum Rules.
    Check the Sticky Threads for additional information on this sub-forum and the Announcement Threads for more information about Heroes of Newerth as a whole!

-----------------------------

|Training Grounds Moderator | Support (1st/2nd)/Suicide Ringer For 1700-1800+ Scrims | Cupcake Baker ☆彡

Depends on the hero. I usually don't play a HARD support so I won't get 2 wards, upgrade courier and just rely on minor totems to save my squishy ass. My go to core items on support are fortified bracer and gravelocket so I'll get a pretender's crown and/or mark and/or claws + 1 ward, runes and mana pot if funds allow.

Account Icon
    I think mana battery on the beginning is not worth it... nobody will cast that much on the first 2 levels, that it gets charged in a usefull way.
    mark of Novice and Crushing claw in the beginning is maybe ok-ish but also selfish. you have no real regen then for you and your lanemate.

I go usually runes, hp pot, 2x mana pot, 2x minor totems and then 1-2 wards (depends if we have another support). when the other support grabbed both wards I up courir.
    If I have only one ward I get a Guardian Ring and only one minor totem, to make it into a ring of the teacher in lane.

Lately I've been doing upgrade, 1 ward, 4 minors, and runes

Don't get mana battery with your first 603. It gives you no stats and players won't use skills often so you spend 200g on a very small amount of regen. wards, minor totems or claws/int version of claws, runes, hp pots and sometimes mana.