Thread: Any ideas for a card game?

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol

Any ideas for a card game?

I am soon going to start a new project just for the lulz that is a HoN card game. I am imagining it this way:

So you can have up to 7 hero cards in your deck. At the beginning of the game, your enemy must choose 2 heroes who he can ban and put out of the game.
    Then, you set down all your hero cards into the front stage. They will be able to attack, and after each round you can draw 2 cards. Those are then spells or items that you can use. Items can be used through gold, and you have 100 gold through the match. You can of course increase this with items like Alchemists bones, which requires gold to use, but gives the player a little gold every turn. Items like nullstone will negate one incoming stun, but will still take the damage of the spell.

Does this sound fun? Please bring up some ideas!

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    better off removing gold and making items actual cards

the idea behind card games is you need a big library, so people are paying out alot of money to collect all of them.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Well, thats whst i am doing. I will take cards from the suggestions forums, which means that it will have both new heroes/items/spells and old ones. Savage 2 might also be something i will take from.

Im thinking that gold maybe wasnt that good of an idea, but it is just so core in HoN.

The idea sounds cool. I like board games and card games.

Both players should act simultaneously each round, deciding their commands for their heroes in secret then both reveal in the action phase using Action Cards. Action Cards could be something like gank, lane, initiate, farm, push, kongor, etc.

Items can be purchased with golds which comes every round after action phase. Successful ganks, successfully downing kongor, successful tower pushes and farm action earns more gold than other actions. Gold can also be lost by having a hero killed.

The other types of card other than heroes are Item Cards and Battle Cards. Item Cards permanently boosts a heroes stats and provide benefits for heroes. Wards are item cards which might be the one that cancels a gank or gives advantage in pushes, ganks and fights and counter wards can cancel that and invisibility ability. Battle Cards are cards used in battle phase when gank or fight happens. Battle Cards could be like juking card, TP out, TP counter-gank, TP defend etc. Battle phase can be discussed later. (The TP out and stuffs could be combined in a TP Item Card).

Item cards can be purchased in-between each phases.

Dead heroes cards will be tapped out for a certain amount of turns depending on their level tokens. The goal of the game is to reach a certain amount of successful pushes.
    Last edited by BlanketGhost; 03-26-2012 at 08:13 AM.
    Choosing between the lesser of two evil, but in the end you still choose evil. Screw that, I want a third option.

If moderation is a fault, then indifference is a crime.

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph in the world is that good men do nothing.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    I had an idea of a HoN board game where every hero has his special ability that activates when you roll a 6.

Like Blacksmith getting another roll.

Forum Moderators are not S2 Games employees. My posts in no way represent the view of S2 Games or any of its staff.

Please use the report post function to have me review a post that you believe is breaking the Forum Rules.
    Check the Sticky Threads for additional information on this sub-forum and the Announcement Threads for more information about Heroes of Newerth as a whole!

-----------------------------

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    I like the idea of having a dice that has to be used for some heroes, and that the battle phase is the battle phase for both players. But blanket, remember, it will get way off track if it would have a bot lane, top lane and mid, and the whole pushes too. I would rather want an aesthetic battle between the 5 heroes.

I also like your idea of making gold a resource that you get upon doing something, instead of having a static amount before each battle.

And i will add passives to every hero, such as blacksmiths roll or Glacius mana regen. Im drawing the sketches of the cards soon, so im gonna need someone who can draw some nice looking cards on the computer. If you wanna help me, just say it. It wont be much.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    If you had someone do the work on cards, you could use the Magic Set Editor to make the cards. Needs a tiny bit of programming though. I have never tried it, but there should be tutorials on that homepage.

Forum Moderators are not S2 Games employees. My posts in no way represent the view of S2 Games or any of its staff.

Please use the report post function to have me review a post that you believe is breaking the Forum Rules.
    Check the Sticky Threads for additional information on this sub-forum and the Announcement Threads for more information about Heroes of Newerth as a whole!

-----------------------------

I'm kinda thinking of Anima, Descent, Nightfall, Rune Wars and stuffs. I would not want a board and lanes stuffs. That is unneccessary.

I'm thinking of how to resolve the Battle Phase. One of the thing I thought of is the abilities or Item Cards with an 'interfere'. Resolving Battle Phase is kind of tricky simulating the flow of teamfighting in real HoN. I'm thinking of borrowing from Nexus Ops. Initiatives can be from 1 to 5 and both player choose their initiatives for the heroes who are deadlocked in fights. Resolving both players' actions simultaneously. Battle goes on until heroes successfully escaped using the 'B' Action Card or all the heroes on the same side who were in the fight are dead.

I also like the idea of dice rolling, but I would keep it to real luck factors such as critical chance and Blacksmith's ultimate only. I would want it to be more than tactical side than luck side regarding the game design itself.

Also about runes and stuffs. We could a Rune Deck which player draws when he send the mid hero to gank sidelane or use the rune check Action Card. The player draws the Rune Card which gives extra bonus. The player can hold the Rune Card for only two rounds and only one Rune Card can be draw every two rounds.

Heroes card should have stats like hit point, mana, abilities, attack and speed. It should really be small number of those. For example, a Valkyrie Hero Card with 6 level tokens should have like 7 HP with 4 mana, 2 attack, 0 armor and speed of 3. Her first and second skill maxed about would deal 2 HP damage respectively. The 'tanks' of the game should have high HP and some abilities that needs to draw some fire from the enemies. Such as Armadon Hero Card skill damages increases by 1 each time he uses it in a fight or something like that. Mana refills to max after each fight to simplify things and shorten the teamfights. Abilities such as Nymphora's Grace of the Nymph and Glacius' aura can refill mana during the fight (as well as Mana Potion and Ring of Sorcery item used via 'Use Item' Battle Card).

Stats such as HP/Mana regen, attack and armor needs to heavily be simplified. Stuffs like Nullstone would not give a regen that quick in fight, but a Sheepstick would regenerate 1 mana per turn in fight for example. Armor simply reduce the damage from auto attacks. Magic armor are gained from items such as Mystic Vestments that reduce magical abilities damage by 1 and 2 for the Shaman's Headdress.

Visualizing how the game would turn out. It would be a really ability-based action card game, pouring in combos and stuffs like a deck building game.
    Last edited by BlanketGhost; 03-26-2012 at 01:34 PM.
    Choosing between the lesser of two evil, but in the end you still choose evil. Screw that, I want a third option.

If moderation is a fault, then indifference is a crime.

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph in the world is that good men do nothing.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    I am thinking of adding melee and ranged into the game. An example would be devourer hook or dementeds heal. Melee heroes have to get near an enemy in order to deal damage with some spells.