Thread: Leaver protection, what a joke !

Hybrid View

Account Icon

Leaver protection, what a joke !

S2-Games has been promoting HON's awesome features, such as so called leaver "protection". If player has exceeded certain leaver rating, he can't no longer join matchmaking games, until his leaver rate has been lowered. You can still play public games to lower leaver protection.
    When does that function actually work:
    Account must have at least 100-games
    Account's leaver rating must be greater than 5,5 %

Leaver protection system haven't been improved since 2009 Autumn. Current system is extremely flawed and easily abused.

Here's few of the problems:
    * Players are able to join new game, right after leaving the previous game. Only punishment -> getting leaver rating

* Got too high leaver rating? Don't worry, you can buy leaver-reset with gold coins.

* If player has "farmed" enough games in the past, he can freely leave as much games as he wants. For example, if player has played 5000 games with 2% leaver rating, he can freely leave his next 200 games, even leaving games in row.

* New accounts and smurfs can leave as many games as they like, and they are still able to play matchmaking, until they have played 100-games. After that they can just a new account for free.
    --> Every unverified game has at least two leavers before 15-min mark. Usually 4-5 leavers every game.

* If the game is remaked, leavers and terminated players won't receive leaver rating from that game.

* Leaver rating can be avoided by going AFK. Then you can just move your hero every 5th minute or simply install a mod that moves your hero automatically every 5th minute.

* We all know that HON community is bad. They can make you waste the time by not conceding when the game is clearly over. Only way to avoid this is to leave the game. For example, asking opponent team not to push, just sit around the base and keep trolling the team. And this is very common in lovely HON community, about every 3rd game or so..

According to my own experience, every THIRD verified only game has one or more leavers. Almost every non verified game has one or more leavers, usually 3-5 leavers before 15-min mark.
    I'm just wondering, is S2-Games planning to fix leaver-protection system in the future?
    Last edited by WC_Ankka; 03-12-2012 at 09:50 PM.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    I got used to leavers it dont bother me anymore.
    It's like a background feature to me.

I hate when the game put me with guys lvl 5, when im lvl 21...
    That guys leaves always :@
    The lvl is just for more coins? I think they could improve some feature to queue with 2,3,4 or 5 lvl diference and same MMR. More lvl's more game played, more experience. Few games back, one guy ask me what is a pull...

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by WC_Ankka View Post
    If player has "farmed" enough games in the past, he can freely leave as much games as he wants. For example, if player has played 5000 games with 2% leaver rating, he can freely leave his next 200 games, even leaving games in row.
    Working as intended? If you have that many games under your belt and adhered to the leaver percentage why should you be penalized?

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by aeowulf View Post
    Working as intended? If you have that many games under your belt and adhered to the leaver percentage why should you be penalized?
    Your logic is weird ->

If player has been playing his last 1000 games without leaves, he is allowed to leave next 50 games, without punishments. So he is allowed to ruin next 50 games and propably making his team losing those games as well.

If player has been nice guy for last 100 games, he is allowed to grief five games as well?

If someone has been obeying the laws for last 10 days, he is allowed to rob a bank two times without penalty?

Right?

Your logic is weird ->

If player has been playing his last 1000 games without leaves, he is allowed to leave next 50 games, without punishments. So he is allowed to ruin next 50 games and propably making his team losing those games as well.

If player has been nice guy for last 100 games, he is allowed to grief five games as well?

If someone has been obeying the laws for last 10 days, he is allowed to rob a bank two times without penalty?

Right?
    And if an a*shole has been ruining every 5 out of 100 games he can keep doing that forever? Is that what you're saying?

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by SomaZ View Post
    And if an a*shole has been ruining every 5 out of 100 games he can keep doing that forever? Is that what you're saying?
    Nope, that's why we got a report a player system. It works in practise

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Your logic is weird ->

Right?
    Really? leaving games compared to robbing a bank? Your avatar suits you well sir.

Under the current system its completely logical and legitimite. Its not a workaround or bug.

If you want them to address concurrent/repeated leaves you need to suggest it rather than creating an highly implausible scenario to further your argument.

I'm not sure if the leaver % should reflect your last 100-200 games (and not all of them) but they should definitely create different tiers of leavers as an option in Matchmaking.
    Legendary: 1% leaves and below
    Rare: 3% leaves and below
    Normal: 5% leaves and below

And have options like "Legendary only" if you are below 1%. Everybody happy! It does make harder for "Normal"s to find games if too many people play on Legendary/Rare but I think with our player numbers increasing we can afford that (or just make the system have a "preference" to match you with players of the same tier and have it as an on/off option).

That being said, compared to Dota 1 and Dota 2 I am quite satisfied with the number of leavers + we lose less MMR now if we have a leaver. My bigger concern is griefers in this game :/

Account Icon
    Last six games with a leaver in a game. The funniest part was, that we had a Pandemonium, 88 games, 8 leaves and 9% leaver rating. Guess what, he left the game!

According to [S2]Jamestown, leaver protection is working as intended and should not be reworked.

On my opinion, leaver protection has never been working as intended and is totally flawed and broken system.

But who gives a sh!t, as long as S2-Games is milking their dead cow? As long as HON keeps growing their playerbase with casual gamers and kids, who keep buying gold coins from the store, there won't be major upgrades / fixes in game.
    HON used to be a great game few years ago. Community and developers were working together to create ultimate MOBA game with insane good features.
    Too bad S2-Games changed their strategy and decided to make max their profits instead of focusing to make HON a great game.

HON has became League of Legends, expect LOL has better community and 10-times bigger playerbase
    Last edited by WC_Ankka; 03-13-2012 at 12:41 AM.

HON used to be a great game few years ago.
    Has the leaver protection system changed in any way, shape or form?

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewiecraft View Post
    Has the leaver protection system changed in any way, shape or form?
    Not at all, because they gave up developing game features after HON went retail. During these years, HON has chosen Freetoplay model, some players have gained 'leaver' immunity .etc

Leaver problem has never been such a pain, in history of Newerth !