Thread: Is Atheism Super Natural

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 124
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueflash View Post
    Hence why i called for an early lock, but as always, no one listens to the one rational guy.
    if only i was still a green name.

    you could always try reporting the op. space savage is always happy to forumnazi religion threads.

  2. #22
    Wait, I always thought that atheism was the specific belief that there wasn't a god.

    Like, actively against the idea of a god.
    Lack of belief is not a belief system. It's a lack of a belief system. For example, people who don't believe in unicorns are not called Aunicornists, because you don't need a term for people who don't believe in something that can't be proven, that's the default position.

    There is also gnostic atheism and agnostic atheism as well. Gnostic atheism is the absolute certainty that there is no god, so that is a belief system. Agnostic atheism is that you don't think there is a god, but you can't be completely sure (just like you can't be completely sure there's no unicorns, I mean they could be invisible right?).

    It seems that most atheists I've ever met or heard of are agnostic.

    People who are actively against the idea of god are called Anti-Theists, and that's something different.
    Last edited by Hat_Truck; 02-28-2012 at 04:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by senzation54
    I don't care which Christian branch you belong to, unless you belong to one that acknowledges that the entire friggin Bible is a fairy tale that was written by a bunch of different idiots and then voted by a congress on which gospels and crap were actually worthy of being in the Bible, you're an idiot. You're a person who doesn't think for himself and clings to the stupid beliefs his parents forced on him as a child, or you're the even worse kind of idiot who actually started believing this crap as an adult. Either way you're an idiot.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Hat_Truck View Post
    Lack of belief is not a belief system. It's a lack of a belief system.

    People who are actively against the idea of god are called Anti-Theists, and that's something different.
    you believe that there is no god.


    attempting to add in some negatives doesnt really change your position, nor strengthen it.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyonko View Post
    Wait, I always thought that atheism was the specific belief that there wasn't a god.

    Like, actively against the idea of a god.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGT25Oj-6rc
    I'll never forget what I felt that day...

    I, want to be a Hero of Justice!

  5. #25
    it definetly takes faith to believe unicorns dont exist. i dont have proof they dont exist, so i believe that they dont.

    in all honesty, arguing over the semantics of atheism doesnt really accomplish anything.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by LegoPirate View Post
    you believe that there is no god.


    attempting to add in some negatives doesnt really change your position, nor strengthen it.
    Once again, no belief is not a belief system. If there is no evidence to support a belief system, then not believing in it requires no belief, it is the default position.

    The burden of proof is on the person making the claim. People who do not believe in unicorns, or sea monsters, or talking snakes do not have a belief system, because there is nothing of value to be believed.
    Quote Originally Posted by senzation54
    I don't care which Christian branch you belong to, unless you belong to one that acknowledges that the entire friggin Bible is a fairy tale that was written by a bunch of different idiots and then voted by a congress on which gospels and crap were actually worthy of being in the Bible, you're an idiot. You're a person who doesn't think for himself and clings to the stupid beliefs his parents forced on him as a child, or you're the even worse kind of idiot who actually started believing this crap as an adult. Either way you're an idiot.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Hat_Truck View Post
    Once again, no belief is not a belief system. If there is no evidence to support a belief system, then not believing in it requires no belief, it is the default position.

    The burden of proof is on the person making the claim. People who do not believe in unicorns, or sea monsters, or talking snakes do not have a belief system, because there is nothing of value to be believed.
    Do you mean that there is nothing of substance, rather than value?

    I imagine the latter is subjective. I don't believe the two are interchangeable.
    The John Smith who will shake the world.

  8. #28
    Belief is the psychological state in which an individual holds a proposition or premise to be true. -Wikipedia

    Keyword here is true. Therefore, if you hold a proposition or premise to be false, it is not a belief.
    Quote Originally Posted by senzation54
    I don't care which Christian branch you belong to, unless you belong to one that acknowledges that the entire friggin Bible is a fairy tale that was written by a bunch of different idiots and then voted by a congress on which gospels and crap were actually worthy of being in the Bible, you're an idiot. You're a person who doesn't think for himself and clings to the stupid beliefs his parents forced on him as a child, or you're the even worse kind of idiot who actually started believing this crap as an adult. Either way you're an idiot.

  9. #29
    you think the amount of dislikes on that video would give it away.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Hat_Truck View Post
    Once again, no belief is not a belief system. If there is no evidence to support a belief system, then not believing in it requires no belief, it is the default position.

    The burden of proof is on the person making the claim. People who do not believe in unicorns, or sea monsters, or talking snakes do not have a belief system, because there is nothing of value to be believed.
    there is no evidence that god doesnt exist.

    either be consistent or stop making silly arguments.

  11. #31
    Online
    Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    5,194
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyonko View Post
    Wait, I always thought that atheism was the specific belief that there wasn't a god.

    Like, actively against the idea of a god.
    No, atheism is the lack of belief in god(s). We're all atheists towards most gods, just some people make an exception.

    For certain concepts of god(s), I do argue that that god logically does not exist and therefore make the positive claim (or active belief) that there is no god. But for most concepts of god which are unknowable and unprovable, I simply choose not to believe.

    Further, I am pretty anti-theist. Which is to say, even if your god were to exist, I would still not follow him. I find most theistic teachings to be very immoral and harmful.
    __________________

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by LegoPirate View Post
    it definetly takes faith to believe unicorns dont exist. i dont have proof they dont exist, so i believe that they dont.

    in all honesty, arguing over the semantics of atheism doesnt really accomplish anything.
    Not really, "faith" is generally contrasted with "rationality" - the former is based upon things like revelation while the latter is based upon evidence and reason. Not believing in unicorns is not a matter of faith but of rationality.
    I'll never forget what I felt that day...

    I, want to be a Hero of Justice!

  13. #33
    this thread is sure going nowhere fast. wheres spacenazi when you need em?

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by LegoPirate View Post
    there is no evidence that god doesnt exist.

    either be consistent or stop making silly arguments.
    I am being consistent.

    There's no evidence that invisible pink unicorns don't exist either.

    Literally ANYTHING could exist given enough imagination right?

    Without sufficient evidence, an idea or concept is not worthy of being believed; the claims of religion are no different. It does not take belief to reject a stupid idea, it takes rational thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by senzation54
    I don't care which Christian branch you belong to, unless you belong to one that acknowledges that the entire friggin Bible is a fairy tale that was written by a bunch of different idiots and then voted by a congress on which gospels and crap were actually worthy of being in the Bible, you're an idiot. You're a person who doesn't think for himself and clings to the stupid beliefs his parents forced on him as a child, or you're the even worse kind of idiot who actually started believing this crap as an adult. Either way you're an idiot.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Hat_Truck View Post
    I am being consistent.

    There's no evidence that invisible pink unicorns don't exist either.

    Literally ANYTHING could exist given enough imagination right?

    Without sufficient evidence, an idea or concept is not worthy of being believed; religion is no different. It does not take belief to reject a stupid idea, it takes common sense.
    do you believe that there is in fact no god?

    not simply lack of belief in the god

    but the actual belief that there is NO god.

    no belief in god almost implies that there is a god, and you just dont care. (almost)

  16. #36
    Well they exist definitely, maybe not in the form of a horse, but rather as electric potentials, chemicals and neuron linking. Itīs the same for god .


    On-topic: So Hat_truck can you approve the non-existence of god? If you canīt youīve got a belief system, donīt cha?

    ( I donīt believe on god, I just think your arguing is kinda funny )

  17. #37
    On-topic: So Hat_truck can you approve the non-existence of god? If you canīt youīve got a belief system, donīt cha?
    No I can't prove the non-existence of God, nor do I feel compelled to. I'm an agnostic atheist, meaning I don't know, but just like anything else, I need proof first. This does not require belief.
    Quote Originally Posted by senzation54
    I don't care which Christian branch you belong to, unless you belong to one that acknowledges that the entire friggin Bible is a fairy tale that was written by a bunch of different idiots and then voted by a congress on which gospels and crap were actually worthy of being in the Bible, you're an idiot. You're a person who doesn't think for himself and clings to the stupid beliefs his parents forced on him as a child, or you're the even worse kind of idiot who actually started believing this crap as an adult. Either way you're an idiot.

  18. #38
    Offline
    Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Fillydelphia
    Posts
    3,385
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueflash View Post
    I'm tired of flame fests up in here which are started by you making a religion thread once a week and some tard that doesnt know better than to ignore if he doesnt agree comes in and it turns into an all out back and forth. Topic isn't new, topic isn't meant for teh internet, Your views are yours, keep them to yourself for ****'s sake, that's all i'm asking.

    P.s: USA is a joke i agree, but not all of us are unfortunate enough to be stuck in that piss-soaked septic tank that insults the world by calling itself a free nation. "Land of the free" my virgin butthole.
    The internet is probably the most appropriate place to discuss religion.

    If you don't like these thread, don't open them. It's not like Off-Topic has some front-page real-estate that needs to be protected. Yes, the topic has been done to death, and at this point it's really more of an echo-chamber than anything. But I don't get why you need to be so upset about these threads when you could just ignore them.

    I'd sing you a song, but
    I'm just a little hoarse.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Hat_Truck View Post
    No I can't prove the non-existence of God, nor do I feel compelled to. I'm an agnostic atheist, meaning I don't know, but just like anything else, I need proof first. This does not require belief.
    hilosophers such as Antony Flew,[52] and Michael Martin,[44] have contrasted positive (strong/hard) atheism with negative (weak/soft) atheism. Positive atheism is the explicit affirmation that gods do not exist. Negative atheism includes all other forms of non-theism.

    Wikipedia^

    the way you talk makes it seem like you fall into the positive atheism category. then you claim that you are in the negative category.

  20. #40
    Offline
    Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Fillydelphia
    Posts
    3,385
    Quote Originally Posted by LegoPirate View Post
    hilosophers such as Antony Flew,[52] and Michael Martin,[44] have contrasted positive (strong/hard) atheism with negative (weak/soft) atheism. Positive atheism is the explicit affirmation that gods do not exist. Negative atheism includes all other forms of non-theism.

    Wikipedia^

    the way you talk makes it seem like you fall into the positive atheism category. then you claim that you are in the negative category.
    Read Wikipedia article: have full understanding of relevant philosopher's thinking.

    I'd sing you a song, but
    I'm just a little hoarse.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •