Is Atheism Super Natural

Even Atheism is missing some key parts.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0DT6uljSbg

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Christ, give it a rest already people.

SPACESAVAGE I'm summoning you~

Thanks for the sig Lhune <3
    Check out My blog in which i post chapters of my novel every so often http://lightvoid.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Blueflash View Post
    Christ, give it a rest already people.

SPACESAVAGE I'm summoning you~
    I don't personally care for politics or celebrities but I really love to have a good debate. Religion is always a very good debate as long as people don't go beserk at everything you say.

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by KingSaber View Post
    I don't personally care for politics or celebrities but I really love to have a good debate. Religion is always a very good debate as long as people don't go beserk at everything you say.
    Lol no it's not for the simple fact that people WILL go berserk at EVERYTHING and everything will be taken out of context.
    U ?

inb4 lock

although i will say cause and effect isnt an actual law. particles have been found to spontaneously be generated in open space. something can indeed come from nothing.

and i dont think that god is impossible on this basis. he has enough other flaws that this is meaningless.
    Last edited by LegoPirate; 02-28-2012 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LegoPirate View Post
    inb4 lock

although i will say cause and effect isnt an actual law. particles have been found to spontaneously be generated in open space. something can indeed come from nothing.

and i dont think that god is impossible on this basis. he has enough other flaws that this is meaningless.
    This sounds like a big loss for atheism. Until scientist can figure out a logical reason why something can come from nothing they are at ground zero. Right next to religion of course.

This sounds like a big loss for atheism. Until scientist can figure out a logical reason why something can come from nothing they are at ground zero. Right next to religion of course.
    any smart atheist/agnostic will say the burden of proof lies squarely with religion.

i dont need to say why something comes from nothing, only that it does. the why is something that is created by human intelligence (or lack thereof)

they are the ones making the claim of god, thus they are required to support that claim. since they have no evidence for god (no real evidence) then at the very least the logical position would be agnosticism. some of the more militant folks go for full on atheism.

Religion can't claim something to be supernatural either without treading on logically shaky ground since the god/gods in question must ultimately be part of a framework within which possibility reigns and outside impossibility reigns, making it only a matter of defining that which is inside as natural. Which by now must include what would normally be called supernatural.
    While i guess you could argue that the framework is not necessarily static i cannot see how it could be so.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Troll thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanybag View Post
    Troll thread.

Thanks for stopping by. You helped develop the foundations for a good discussion.
    Matter has always existed, it was just in a tight packed form, and if u believe in god then matter = god, not what religions (christianity, islam, etc.) make them out to be, matter IS god, matter is everything, every person on this earth along with everything in this universe is god, there is no supernatural being out there watching over us.

I believe there have been repeated attempts at generating discussion on the topic, all of which eventually degrade into passive-aggressive insults and mudslinging.

It's just way too much of a touchy subject.
    The John Smith who will shake the world.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyonko View Post
    I believe there have been repeated attempts at generating discussion on the topic, all of which eventually degrade into passive-aggressive insults and mudslinging.

That's not why I called this a troll thread.

This is a troll thread because the troll (OP) created a false position of atheism (a straw man, if you will), attacked it, and then claimed that this somehow strengthens the position of religion. It's an old sack of bullshit that has been beaten to death. Honestly, I'm just tired of getting **** spewed everywhere.

This thread will ultimately lead to a religious discussion thread and if we've learned anything (and I hope we have), then this thread is destined to go nowhere. And least nowhere reasonable.

This thread will ultimately lead to a religious discussion thread and if we've learned anything (and I hope we have), then this thread is destined to go nowhere. And least nowhere reasonable.
    I see what you did there.
    The John Smith who will shake the world.

That's not why I called this a troll thread.

This is a troll thread because the troll (OP) created a false position of atheism (a straw man, if you will), attacked it, and then claimed that this somehow strengthens the position of religion. It's an old sack of bullshit that has been beaten to death. Honestly, I'm just tired of getting **** spewed everywhere.

Personally, I think it's a little sad that we can't even mention religion without a bunch of people whistle blowing, instantly asking for a thread lock, or whining to the moderators.

If it's that touchy of a subject then it needs to be discussed. Rational, healthy people can discuss any topic without getting angry or defensive. Getting angry and defensive is a sign that you aren't comfortable with your own belief systems, so when other people challenge it, it upsets you.

What happens when nobody challenges people like this? You get the United States of America. So go ahead mods, lock the thread. Keep contributing to the problem I implore you.
    Last edited by Hat_Truck; 02-28-2012 at 04:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by senzation54
    I don't care which Christian branch you belong to, unless you belong to one that acknowledges that the entire friggin Bible is a fairy tale that was written by a bunch of different idiots and then voted by a congress on which gospels and crap were actually worthy of being in the Bible, you're an idiot. You're a person who doesn't think for himself and clings to the stupid beliefs his parents forced on him as a child, or you're the even worse kind of idiot who actually started believing this crap as an adult. Either way you're an idiot.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Hat_Truck View Post
    Personally, I think it's a little sad that we can't even mention religion without a bunch of people whistle blowing, instantly asking for a thread lock, or whining to the moderators.

If it's that touchy of a subject then it needs to be discussed. Rational, healthy people can discuss any topic without getting angry or defensive. Getting angry and defensive is a sign that you aren't comfortable with your own belief systems, so when other people challenge it, it upsets you.

What happens when nobody challenges people like this? You get the United States of America. So go ahead mods, lock the thread. Keep contributing to the problem I implore you.
    I'm tired of flame fests up in here which are started by you making a religion thread once a week and some tard that doesnt know better than to ignore if he doesnt agree comes in and it turns into an all out back and forth. Topic isn't new, topic isn't meant for teh internet, Your views are yours, keep them to yourself for ****'s sake, that's all i'm asking.

P.s: USA is a joke i agree, but not all of us are unfortunate enough to be stuck in that piss-soaked septic tank that insults the world by calling itself a free nation. "Land of the free" my virgin butthole.
    Last edited by Blueflash; 02-28-2012 at 05:33 PM.

Check out My blog in which i post chapters of my novel every so often http://lightvoid.wordpress.com/

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueflash View Post
    I'm tired of flame fests up in here which are started by you making a religion thread once a week and some tard that doesnt know better than to ignore if he doesnt agree comes in and it turns into an all out back and forth. Topic isn't new, topic isn't meant for teh internet, Your views are yours, keep them to yourself for ****'s sake, that's all i'm asking.

P.s: USA is a joke i agree, but not all of us are unfortunate enough to be stuck in that piss-soaked septic tank that insults the world by calling itself a free nation. "Land of the free" my virgin butthole.
    The internet is probably the most appropriate place to discuss religion.

If you don't like these thread, don't open them. It's not like Off-Topic has some front-page real-estate that needs to be protected. Yes, the topic has been done to death, and at this point it's really more of an echo-chamber than anything. But I don't get why you need to be so upset about these threads when you could just ignore them.

I'd sing you a song, but
    I'm just a little hoarse.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Octavia View Post
    The internet is probably the most appropriate place to discuss religion.

If you don't like these threads, don't open them. It's not like Off-Topic has some front-page real-estate that needs to be protected. Yes, the topic has been done to death, and at this point it's really more of an echo-chamber than anything. But I don't get why you need to be so upset about these threads when you could just ignore them.
    You just answered your own question Roger.

Also fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyonko View Post

I find this amusing in a way. I believe in the existence of a god but I don't get angry when I listen to someone else's beliefs. I find people who do to be very ignorant and closed minded.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast