Thread: If Rick Santorum becomes President, we're all in a lot of trouble.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 124
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by LegoPirate View Post
    so most of the gold usage in the world is based upon its monetary value and percieved worth? shocker.

    gold's value is based entirely on its rarity and the fact it is shiny. its uses outside its percieved monetary value are so minor that there would be plenty to go around.
    Fair enough, but this is capitalism. Things aren't simply valued on how useful they are in a productive sense.

  2. #42
    capitalism? more like shinyism. I really don't get why people love gold so much. Is it just because it considered to define poor from rich and a self-esteem problem? Like people who buy limited avatars?

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucian01 View Post
    Fair enough, but this is capitalism. Things aren't simply valued on how useful they are in a productive sense.
    That's fine, but gold has no more inherent value then the greenback. It is all based upon what people will pay for it

  4. #44
    There are no reserves! In the words of your former comptroller general, David Walker, when asked how much money the U.S had in reserve: "Zero. Zip."

    And: The cost of social security, medicare, medicaid will skyrocket when the babyboomers retire (which is just about....now). What does that mean? Either: Escalating the borrowing, or print more dollars. The debt should be a huge concern during this election.. The only way America can pay back the money they owe is by printing it.. Thank people like Romney for destroying your production base..

    Sure, the gold standard will bring problems - my real issue is with fiat currency, which grants the ability to create money out of nothing, and the current monetary policies. But thats a different discussion.

    Edit: Regarding zero understanding of modern economics: In hindsight, do you honestly think the guys in power are doing it right? I mean, we get a economic crisis approximately every 15 years, yet people still cling to the outdated economic theories and models - and every single time: "Oh gosh, we never imagined this crisis coming." My point: If it is not working, why spend even more money to delay unavoidable failure. And yes, I am one of those who believe a total collapse of the global economy will occur if nothing drastic is done.

    Back on topic: I cant decide who is the worst: Romney, a mormon corporate raider who will switch sides on every single issue - or Santorum: A batshit crazy evangelist (or the proper term: fundamentalist).
    Last edited by AdventureMan; 03-01-2012 at 05:04 AM.

  5. #45
    Offline
    Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    142
    Why don't Americans like Ron Paul, he seems allright for a republican.
    He's not some batshit Christian or a Mormon, doesn't want to go to war afaik, what's not to like?

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by AdventureMan View Post
    There are no reserves! In the words of your former comptroller general, David Walker, when asked how much money the U.S had in reserve: "Zero. Zip."

    And: The cost of social security, medicare, medicaid will skyrocket when the babyboomers retire (which is just about....now). What does that mean? Either: Escalating the borrowing, or print more dollars. The debt should be a huge concern during this election.. The only way America can pay back the money they owe is by printing it.. Thank people like Romney for destroying your production base..

    Sure, the gold standard will bring problems - my real issue is with fiat currency, which grants the ability to create money out of nothing, and the current monetary policies. But thats a different discussion.

    Edit: Regarding zero understanding of modern economics: In hindsight, do you honestly think the guys in power are doing it right? I mean, we get a economic crisis approximately every 15 years, yet people still cling to the outdated economic theories and models - and every single time: "Oh gosh, we never imagined this crisis coming." My point: If it is not working, why spend even more money to delay unavoidable failure. And yes, I am one of those who believe a total collapse of the global economy will occur if nothing drastic is done.

    Back on topic: I cant decide who is the worst: Romney, a mormon corporate raider who will switch sides on every single issue - or Santorum: A batshit crazy evangelist (or the proper term: fundamentalist).
    every generation believes the world is gonna end, teenagers are getting worse, etc etc etc.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by AdventureMan View Post
    If it is not working, why spend even more money to delay unavoidable failure.
    it's just a legal way to steal money from working people, but people are uneducated so they are fine with that.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by pechkin View Post
    capitalism? more like shinyism. I really don't get why people love gold so much. Is it just because it considered to define poor from rich and a self-esteem problem? Like people who buy limited avatars?
    1. Gold looks very nice from a jewelry perspective, just like diamonds. You can turn heads with a simple gold plated watch.

    2. The value of gold has been on a very strong uptrend in the last decade, something every investor is aware of. Since 2003, it has averaged a 17.6% increase/year, of course, compounded.

    If you are looking into which elements are undervalued right now though, both platinum and uranium are extremely attractive.
    Ramsay Sound Pack

    I hope the rest of your day is as pleasant as you are.

  9. #49
    Offline
    Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,721
    Quote Originally Posted by HalloKnurft View Post
    Why don't Americans like Ron Paul, he seems allright for a republican.
    He's not some batshit Christian or a Mormon, doesn't want to go to war afaik, what's not to like?
    Because mainstream Dems and Repubs call him a radical and don't support him. There's a two party system in the US and if you aren't with one of them then you aren't getting elected. Also, sadly, religion is actually a big deal when it comes to a President here. It makes no sense...but it's true.

    Oh how I remember the controversy when it was claimed that Obama was a Muslim...then a radical Christian.

  10. #50
    Offline
    Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    4,586
    Okay, how is it that creationism doesn't qualify as batshit crazy christianity?
    __________________

  11. #51
    Offline
    Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanybag View Post
    Okay, how is it that creationism doesn't qualify as batshit crazy christianity?
    __________________
    Except from what I know about his political history, he's politically with evolution (I.E. Public Education) but personally believes creationism. Which is his religion and if his policy is separation of church and state then I really couldn't give two ****s what he believes.

    He's not Santorum stating that a woman's rape baby is a gift and that federal policy should protect that gift.

    [EDIT] Not only that, but most of R Paul's policy regarding 'religiously controversial' issues like abortion ect. is (correctly) that it's a state issue, not a national issue. We are the United States after all, sick of the feds having all the power. The man's not perfect but goddamn if he doesn't just nail some of the biggest issues we're facing today and he's been saying these things for most of his career, not recently to appease public opinion.
    Last edited by Good_Apollo; 03-01-2012 at 02:27 PM.

  12. #52
    Offline
    Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    4,586
    Quote Originally Posted by Good_Apollo View Post
    Except from what I know about his political history, he's politically with evolution (I.E. Public Education) but personally believes creationism. Which is his religion and if his policy is separation of church and state then I really couldn't give two ****s.

    He's not Santorum stating that a woman's rape baby is a gift and that federal policy should protect that gift.

    [EDIT] Not only that, but most of R Paul's policy regarding 'religiously controversial' issues like abortion ect. is (correctly) that it's a state issue, not a national issue. We are the United States after all, sick of the feds having all the power. The man's not perfect but goddamn if he doesn't just nail some of the biggest issues we're facing today and he's been saying these things for most of his career, not recently to appease public opinion.
    Maybe if that were true..

    http://www.ronpaul2012.com/the-issues/abortion/ From his website.

    Immediately saving lives by effectively repealing Roe v. Wade and preventing activist judges from interfering with state decisions on life by removing abortion from federal court jurisdiction through legislation modeled after his “We the People Act.”
    Further, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyfnHOPAhHo

    He's close to being a decent candidate, but his religion is really off-putting for me. What I like about him is that he doesn't seem to be bought by corporate America. He seems honest and to believe what he says. He even follows through on his beliefs with his actions. That's almost enough for me. But I need a president who has enough rationality to recognize the validity of scientific advancement and realize that Faith and science are not incompatible (and if Faith is to survive, must not be incompatible). He does seem to be the only honest person out there, though. Obama doesn't seem any less bought out in my eyes (although when he was the first candidate to not take public funding, I thought it was less likely).
    __________________

  13. #53
    Offline
    Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,721
    Like I said, he's not perfect, but if it were out of federal hands then I guarantee it would be legal in most states. Any religious hillbillys states would just have state crossers getting them done.

    You can't contest that the Federal Government is out of hand. State power means nothing and that's, in my opinion, the worst trespass of the constitution and the root of many of the problems in the US. I mean, look at the other thread I've participated in OT, where Federal agents can arrest and close down Medical Marijuana shops at whim here in California even though it's legal by the state. How is that right?
    Last edited by Good_Apollo; 03-01-2012 at 02:45 PM.

  14. #54
    and why does anyone care about states rights?

  15. #55
    Offline
    Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,721
    Quote Originally Posted by LegoPirate View Post
    and why does anyone care about states rights?
    Because the United States is ****ing huge with dynamic differences in economy, culture, and racial demographics across the states; having an all powerful federal government has created more problems than it has solved.

    At this point, I'm completely convinced you're just an epic troll LP. Ignore list you go!

  16. #56
    i love how everyone that has opposing view points is labeled as "crazy" or a troll.

    kid doesnt even know what a troll really is.

    notasinglefuk.jpg

  17. #57
    Offline
    Account Icon
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    281
    GG 'murikah

  18. #58
    Ron paul 2012 or cc at 16. Get it? because im 16 years old hahahahahahahaha I giggled.
    Maby I will cc at 17 or 18. I mean how could I miss diablo 3?

  19. #59
    Offline
    Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,557
    I only just noticed what Santorum said about the Netherlands.

    Can't help but LOL. 10% of all deaths through euthanasia? This man is insane. It's ridiculously difficult to be voluntarily euthanized in this country if you're not terminally ill; and even then it's hard to find a doctor who is willing to do it because they have a right to refuse. People are kept alive here at all costs, even if they're 100 years old, unless they specifically requested to NOT be kept alive.

    He's second in the votings right? Good God.


  20. #60
    Offline
    Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    4,586
    [QUOTE=Lhune;14956045He's second in the votings right? Good God.[/QUOTE]

    Only amomg registered republicans in the republican primaries.
    __________________

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •