Thread: Berzerker Speculation

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Account Icon

Berzerker Speculation

Quote Originally Posted by XFlame
    How about a 'Berzerker speculation' thread?
    Your will be done.

Avoid suggestions, one-liners, and breaking the forum rules but otherwise the playing-field is free.

Commence!
    "What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist.

I think he's a great hero. He just seems to melt things. Q+E makes it incredibly hard to escape him. Feels like the perfect embodiment of a strength carry. I wouldn't be surprised if he was nerfed in some way.
    Has a rubber duck named "Mr. Quackers."

Rudra || Plaguebringer || Bastion || Castor/Pollux || Arcane Assassin || Smoke

Blog yo

I'll reserve this spot for an actual, realistic, detailed judgement of this hero but the three or four games I've played with him in the game he feels like another Power Creep hero =/

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Having sight of the target every 8 seconds seems to be a bit much, but other than that he seems to be fairly good as of right now.

He really shouldn't gain sight of his target :S

Other than that, he has the force he is supposed to have, but is hardly invincible like DM. I like him for that.

Plus he can really only focus down 1 target at a time, which is a huge relief from the tanky DPS Zephyr and Co.
    I am the beast, the defiler, the source of all pain.
    The darkness will cover the lands once again.
    So make peace with whatever it is the gods worship, the end has come.

He really shouldn't gain sight of his target :S
    Sight is the whole point of the ability imo, removing it would make it a much less useful skill. I think the cooldown should be doubled on this ability however, as it feels pretty spam-able. I can't tell if I feel his second skill is useless or not; it does damage to creeps nearby but not much? I dunno, I feel like at level 4 the ability is at what I would consider "level 2". I haven't been skilling it enough though to justify bashing it, but it doesn't seem overly useful early game and I can't tell the difference it makes late.

Account Icon
    So far he seems like he is in a pretty good place. I think he feels fairly well designed.

He is pretty vulnerable to ganks, with no escape mechanism and all that. In teamfights he is fairly easy to kill even late into the game unless you are very careful.

The main beauty of the hero is that he gets 2.84 damage from every point in strength, letting you build up a whopping amount of both health and damage.

I DO not like this hero, hes ult is to op, like i was glacius he had sols and boots, he ran to me whith his ult and mark and chain on me, whithout hes drain ability, i had mighty blade and boots, after 20 min ofcourse, he came to me, did 1 hit while that was on, 50 hp..... ****it nerf the **** out of it, please! supporters dont have a chance!

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
    Sight is the whole point of the ability imo, removing it would make it a much less useful skill. I think the cooldown should be doubled on this ability however, as it feels pretty spam-able. I can't tell if I feel his second skill is useless or not; it does damage to creeps nearby but not much? I dunno, I feel like at level 4 the ability is at what I would consider "level 2". I haven't been skilling it enough though to justify bashing it, but it doesn't seem overly useful early game and I can't tell the difference it makes late.
    I was just speaking on the sight based on the current cooldown. It is far greater than Pestilence's swarm and it isn't even an ultimate effect. The ability provides a lot, and the sight just seems to be a bit much. There is a lot of anti-juke in the last few designs... but maybe I'm biased.
    I am the beast, the defiler, the source of all pain.
    The darkness will cover the lands once again.
    So make peace with whatever it is the gods worship, the end has come.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    dark lady crits for 1200, has 1500 hp.
    bezerker crits for 1200, has 4000 hp while doing it.

i just don't get it anymore. i don't know if the hero is op or not, but it really makes me wonder if this game has gone into lol balance where heros are just considered obselete after a certain point.

I am wondering where the usual +1 melee HP regen is. I dont know if they forgot, or was left our for balance purposes. Explanation?

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Xotas View Post
    I am wondering where the usual +1 melee HP regen is. I dont know if they forgot, or was left our for balance purposes. Explanation?
    Noticed it too. Must have been forgotten
    Crawl back to the pit that spawned you!

Preliminary thoughts:

• Numbers look very, very scary on paper. In practice, he gets kited very easily. He'll kill 1, maybe 2 heroes a teamfight early on, at best.
    • Hard carry. First hard carry S2 has put out in a long time.
    • Actually very well designed! Slight forced synergy between W and R and I'm sure this will make some people *****, cry, wail, and moan, but other than that: He's a hero that has chase capability without escape capability. He won't be derping out of ganks thanks to blinks/charges/leaps, so a good Berzerker will know exactly when to go in and when to start backing early.
    • Reminds me of a cross between Ursa Warrior and Predator, but even squishier.
    • Buro's default guide for him is a joke. Elder Parasite, really? On a hero that already takes 20% bonus damage with ult active?
    • First hero to have :Insanitarius: as unquestionably core. Congratulations, S2. Perhaps this will prompt players to pick it up on other STR heroes.
    • Again, this hero gets kited very easily. Disable reduction on ult doesn't give him a way of dealing with or :FrostwolfsSkull: (reapplied slows), or heroes like who channel their spells and thus aren't subject to disable reduction. :TabletOfCommand: as well.
    • Hilarious counterpick opportunity with , if you don't just straight up kill him in two hits with amplification from Carnage and ult.
    • Same for actually.

I should point out, though, that there's a very good reason that Ursa Warrior is AGI despite having a huge STR growth and an ability that scaled off his max health, and that if Berzerker becomes overused you'll discover exactly why it's that way. Having damage scale directly off stacking health is very dangerous for a hero, and the 2.84 damage per STR makes Berzerker a dangerous hero in terms of balance stability.

All in all though, I think he's a great design. Very, very powerful, but very squishy and doesn't really have a good way of addressing that squishiness without spending tens of thousands of gold on itemization, or straight up not using ultimate. Successful hard carry.

Account Icon
    I don't know why Buro added elder parasite. Whispering helm is 100% better, as it gives you the option to build into symbol of rage for even more carnage!
    Crawl back to the pit that spawned you!

Quote Originally Posted by TRYTROUSERS View Post

i just don't get it anymore. i don't know if the hero is op or not, but it really makes me wonder if this game has gone into lol balance where heros are just considered obselete after a certain point.
    Dark Lady also has far more utility than Berzerker: a long range slow, teamfight blinding (STILL severely underrated), and a much, much more reliable way of getting to her target. She can blinkstrike to her target instead of having to walk up to it, that's worth a lot.

She also doesn't take 20% extra damage, so your HP numbers are kinda misrepresenting reality there. HP is not effective HP.

tDL also flashfarms much better than Berzerker does.

I wouldn't say that any of the heroes are obsolete really. Certain heroes do severely outclass the rest of the pool, but they all perform very differently and do very different things - so far.

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Brannock View Post
    Preliminary thoughts:

• Numbers look very, very scary on paper. In practice, he gets kited very easily. He'll kill 1, maybe 2 heroes a teamfight early on, at best.
    • Hard carry. First hard carry S2 has put out in a long time.
    • Actually very well designed! Slight forced synergy between W and R and I'm sure this will make some people *****, cry, wail, and moan, but other than that: He's a hero that has chase capability without escape capability. He won't be derping out of ganks thanks to blinks/charges/leaps, so a good Berzerker will know exactly when to go in and when to start backing early.
    • Reminds me of a cross between Ursa Warrior and Predator, but even squishier.
    • Buro's default guide for him is a joke. Elder Parasite, really? On a hero that already takes 20% bonus damage with ult active?
    • First hero to have :Insanitarius: as unquestionably core. Congratulations, S2. Perhaps this will prompt players to pick it up on other STR heroes.
    • Again, this hero gets kited very easily. Disable reduction on ult doesn't give him a way of dealing with or :FrostwolfsSkull: (reapplied slows), or heroes like who channel their spells and thus aren't subject to disable reduction. :TabletOfCommand: as well.
    • Hilarious counterpick opportunity with , if you don't just straight up kill him in two hits with amplification from Carnage and ult.
    • Same for actually.

I should point out, though, that there's a very good reason that Ursa Warrior is AGI despite having a huge STR growth and an ability that scaled off his max health, and that if Berzerker becomes overused you'll discover exactly why it's that way. Having damage scale directly off stacking health is very dangerous for a hero, and the 2.84 damage per STR makes Berzerker a dangerous hero in terms of balance stability.

All in all though, I think he's a great design. Very, very powerful, but very squishy and doesn't really have a good way of addressing that squishiness without spending tens of thousands of gold on itemization, or straight up not using ultimate. Successful hard carry.
    This was extremely good, just wanted to say that. If you could keep these going for every new hero that would be awesome!
    Last edited by Ekamo; 02-04-2012 at 08:53 PM.
    "What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist.

My thoughts are 100% with Brannock
    Retired after the deportation system announced by S2 games. If you are a latin and have any self esteem, uninstall tthis game and play something else.

http://fighters.com.br

ursa scaled off 4% of current hp, for reference.
    Let me spell it out plain for you
    Angry people complain about the things I do
    I'm not changing direction, I'm stepping my game up
    Maintaining my name, the same way I came up.

Truth is, I thought it mattered
    I thought that music mattered.
    But does it? Bollocks!
    Not compared to how people matter.

Quote Originally Posted by TRYTROUSERS View Post

Why is this guy still allowed to post in the Balance Forum?

On topic, I agree with most people here, he seems pretty balanced and also well designed. The cooldown on his third skill is a bit too low, but other than that he's solid. The hero feels like it was very intelligently designed; you actually need to think to properly use his skills, especially his ult. I'm guessing he'll still be a pubstomper though, kinda like Blood Hunter in a sense. I think his susceptibility to ganks balances him enough to compensate for his high damage output.

Quote Originally Posted by Anakha View Post
    ursa scaled off 4% of current hp, for reference.
    Not quite: http://www.playdota.com/heroes/ursa-warrior#skill382

5/6/7% of current health.

Still, correction is important: current health and max health are different beasts.

For being able to carry as hard as he does, he has pretty huge presence both in lane and in the early to mid game. I've had a lot of success with him so far, though we'll see if that changes as people learn to play against him better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghidoran View Post
    "A competitive team did it" does not mean it is a good idea.