Thread: losing streak...

losing streak...

Im ok with playing support when im not pink. I support properly giving the carry players their farm and babysitting them (having half of steam boots, wards, tps at 20mins sitting at 120 gpm). However, most of the time the carries are just dying even when we can see the whole map. I've also been forced to play support even as pink even though clearly I am a better player than the rest of my team but I am forced to play support as we have no support.

Anyone know what im doing wrong? Just look at my past games.
    I rage to an extent.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Few days break should calm you down.
    Find another good game to play in the meantime. Only play when your mind is clear. Also, try playing with some friends.

For most of the time, its not really me bringing the team down although I am playing worse than usual but for the most part, people arent pullling their weight especially when i play support. I dont want to be a jackass and take mid every game.

Edit: I know people dont like quoting stats but do people really expect to get carried by a 0.5kd brown player in the 1500s?
    Last edited by `Rem; 01-24-2012 at 09:01 AM.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Solo que support is bad. Play mid and win.

Account Icon
    Find another friend to play with, solo queue is hell. Barely ever will you find anybody who is willing to play support and you end up with a team with 4 melee agi carries fighting over CS in laning phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Pucktastic View Post
    Find another friend to play with, solo queue is hell. Barely ever will you find anybody who is willing to play support and you end up with a team with 4 melee agi carries fighting over CS in laning phase.
    most players in his bracket dont know how to farm so thats ok. its that there are no wards if he doesnt support. its annoying as hell...

1.Get a friend to play with
    2. if you're pink / blue go mid,ask friend to gank often; if not, go to a sidelane and own it
    3.????
    4.profit

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainnbowdash View Post
    most players in his bracket dont know how to farm so thats ok. its that there are no wards if he doesnt support. its annoying as hell...
    This is my issue too. I love playing support, but since I'm in a low bracket, it's kinda annoying when I'm harassing/denying my share and the guy I'm babysitting is pretty much just auto-attacking. :/

It also sucks when I actually do go mid, people see my .5 KDR and all pick carries expecting me to do bad. 5 mins in, I'm getting the team's kills while the other carries are asking for ganks because they're feeding. "Get me a rune ward so I can get a good chance at ganking." "No, you have highest ward/game..." Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

u can play with me im a reliable player ign: littlefishxd iv been stuck in the 1400's cause of trolls, griefers, sore losers etc. i just cant bear it when orange instalocks a hard carry... i am a fair player and if im anything but blue or grey, i usually go support and its really frustrating when ur support pollywog priest going 4/6 and u got a rampage going 2/10...

Well, I have been a 1900mmr solo player before compression.
    The first tip I can give you is to IGNORE bullshit.
    Once you see a failed troll in your team or the opponents team,
    ignore him immediatly (goes same for people who are just bad and refuse to listen).
    You will be alot calmer when you play, and your gameplay will improve
    drastically.
    Ofcourse you should remember your place in the team.
    What I mean is,
    if you are orange/yellow or brown/dark green YOU SHOULD SUPPORT.
    Because lets face it, MMR does count. there is a reason
    good players are at higher MMR standing.
    Once you hit the 50% win rate you are where you belong, but not
    to worry as you play more you will get better and you will rise.
    Another tip is to NOT check your opponents stats.
    and if you do, look at these stats : KDR (only if he plays alot of carries/gankers), wards placed, creep denies.
    Those 3 are most reliable to know if your opponent/teammate
    is good or not.
    The reason you shouldnt check others stats is that you will
    always have respect for your teammates/ you wont be afraid
    if you see somebody with excellent stats against you
    The last tip is: BE NICE.
    If your team mate made a mistake, dont rage. trust me
    he knows he did that mistake, and you starting to yell at him
    wont make anything better.
    If you want some more help, you can add me in HoN as friends
    and I wont mind playing with you either.
    Good luck to you mate.
    Hemachi

Quote Originally Posted by Hemachi View Post
    Well, I have been a 1900mmr solo player before compression.
    The first tip I can give you is to IGNORE bullshit.
    Once you see a failed troll in your team or the opponents team,
    ignore him immediatly (goes same for people who are just bad and refuse to listen).
    You will be alot calmer when you play, and your gameplay will improve
    drastically.
    Ofcourse you should remember your place in the team.
    What I mean is,
    if you are orange/yellow or brown/dark green YOU SHOULD SUPPORT.
    Because lets face it, MMR does count. there is a reason
    good players are at higher MMR standing.

Once you hit the 50% win rate you are where you belong, but not
    to worry as you play more you will get better and you will rise.
    Another tip is to NOT check your opponents stats.
    and if you do, look at these stats : KDR (only if he plays alot of carries/gankers), wards placed, creep denies.
    Those 3 are most reliable to know if your opponent/teammate
    is good or not.
    The reason you shouldnt check others stats is that you will
    always have respect for your teammates/ you wont be afraid
    if you see somebody with excellent stats against you

The last tip is: BE NICE.
    If your team mate made a mistake, dont rage. trust me
    he knows he did that mistake, and you starting to yell at him
    wont make anything better.
    If you want some more help, you can add me in HoN as friends
    and I wont mind playing with you either.
    Good luck to you mate.
    Hemachi
    Agree with everything except the ones in bold.

1) Mmr doesn't mean much unless it is more than 100 or so difference and even then if the person is in your team then most of the time he isn't much more or less skilled than you or otherwise he wouldn't be in your queue in the first place. There is nothing wrong with a orange/brown carry if he is able to carry fine. Also supporting is harder than it sounds as it is not easy to do it right while not feeding for most players. Besides it is better to pick and play a hero you are comfortable with irrespective of the role unless you are confident that you will actually be able to perform well and not hinder your team in any way.

2) Looking at your team mates and opponents stats will give you a general idea of their playstyle and skill. And that can be really advantageous in some if not most situations.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Sachy View Post
    1) Mmr doesn't mean much unless it is more than 100 or so difference and even then if the person is in your team then most of the time he isn't much more or less skilled than you or otherwise he wouldn't be in your queue in the first place. There is nothing wrong with a orange/brown carry if he is able to carry fine. Also supporting is harder than it sounds as it is not easy to do it right while not feeding for most players. Besides it is better to pick and play a hero you are comfortable with irrespective of the role unless you are confident that you will actually be able to perform well and not hinder your team in any way.
    I agree totally. Sometimes I get Blue/Pink/Grey/Teal. Support is my strongest role, and I love playing gankers too, but I can't carry because my ability to farm isn't that great (especially if I feel my team struggling even a bit, I turn into one of those underfarmed carries who sits around for team fights).

Sachy,
    Well yes, maybe I'm exaggerating about the MMR.
    But not looking at the stats, is just a tip to be calmer. :]

To everybody here who wishes to get alittle bit better,
    I dont mind you PM/ add me on friends to play together.
    I do wish to improve the community, and I dont even care
    being the support for you to learn better how to play other roles.

ITs sad at lower brackets when we play support but the players arent worth supportng, i guess u can play some kind of semi carry that can hold the game together at a later stage, since ur opponents will probably be pretty bad as well...

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    If you are feeling frustrated with the game, try changing things up perhaps.

Although it goes without saying, that a happy team with a good composition is better than a mad team with someone last picking solo mid and raging if they don't get it.

Hey guys,

I play solo mostly and don't use Skype or Vent (I do that in bc2/bf3 though :3). Most of my friends play military fps titles or l4d/killingfloor and HoN really isn't their game heh.

Now here's my current problem, if I manage to hit 1400 I get a serious losing streak. This is what I think is happening, new players drop from 1500 like hatchets in a pond 'till they hit the 1300 range and slowly start playing better, which leaves the 1400-1500 range as a big hurdle to get through, since many 1400 players you'll get paired with are on their "educational journey" down to 1300/1200. So basically you have a lot of guys in the 1300 that play sort-of-decently and a lot more in 1400 that pick characters they know nothing of or just plain leave whenever they feel like it since they won't be labeled as such yet. Are there any player charts that could support such a theory? I may be hallucinating it completely and it may just be bad luck or whatever on my part.

I admit that with the current celebratory roster of 98 pick-able characters I have also chosen characters I've never played, such as Tremble or Salforis. I guess a lot of people are doing that so of course a lot of games will be botched this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Vine View Post
    Hey guys,

I play solo mostly and don't use Skype or Vent (I do that in bc2/bf3 though :3). Most of my friends play military fps titles or l4d/killingfloor and HoN really isn't their game heh.

Now here's my current problem, if I manage to hit 1400 I get a serious losing streak. This is what I think is happening, new players drop from 1500 like hatchets in a pond 'till they hit the 1300 range and slowly start playing better, which leaves the 1400-1500 range as a big hurdle to get through, since many 1400 players you'll get paired with are on their "educational journey" down to 1300/1200. So basically you have a lot of guys in the 1300 that play sort-of-decently and a lot more in 1400 that pick characters they know nothing of or just plain leave whenever they feel like it since they won't be labeled as such yet. Are there any player charts that could support such a theory? I may be hallucinating it completely and it may just be bad luck or whatever on my part.

I admit that with the current celebratory roster of 98 pick-able characters I have also chosen characters I've never played, such as Tremble or Salforis. I guess a lot of people are doing that so of course a lot of games will be botched this time around.
    1.Master 1 good midlane hero
    2.Call mid
    3.Win mid
    4.You should be out of the 1400s

Quote Originally Posted by `DreaDk View Post
    1.Master 1 good midlane hero
    2.Call mid
    3.Win mid
    4.You should be out of the 1400s
    everything he said was right, but this is the only way bro.. the only way.

I'd say play with friends is the top thing, though there are a few more things that you can do to help even without friends.

Yes, when you are below 1500 for the most part it's just luck whether or not you win if you pick support. Now this doesn't mean that you should pick carries every single game, but a ganker/nuker like pyro that can also step down and buy a few wards if needed are great pickups in the lower mmr tiers. Flexible heroes are the best when you are lower since then you can make up for a variety of problems in your team. Nobody on your team is stunning at all? Lay down some great focused stuns on their carry. Your carry is failing hardcore? Pick up the pace and build a little more carry-like and semi-carry your team to victory. Supports not warding? Buy a ward or two and nuke down a wave to replace the gold.

The next thing is that if people on your team aren't warding, or even if they are but you notice that your supports are a little under farmed, buy a ward. Most carries or nukers can pick up two creep kills in about 10 seconds or so, allowing them to buy a ward at very little cost to their overall gameplay. Good supports on the other hand (especially babysitters) are often spending time out of lane warding and allowing their allies the last hits and kills. Even in good games I have found that sometimes I'm only pulling 70-90 gpm as a support if I'm letting my allies get the last hits. This means that that ward that took you a few seconds to get will take that support player over a minute to farm up the gold for. Also that extra 100 gold that they get when you as a carry buy a single ward can let them buy just a bit more survivability, allowing them to possibly net the team a kill in the next fight buy surviving just that extra second.

Thirdly don't just insta-pick carries if you want to "carry your way to the pro levels". As I said earlier, flexible heroes that can handle multiple roles are often the best, and even then you should at least take a look at your team before you choose. If you are a 1300 player and the top two players on your team are >1600, then they can probably carry better then you and you might be better off picking a tank. Also ask yourself, "Does your team really need a fourth melee carry?" Is their something more useful to the team (not to your stats) that could help you win the game? This is what the right-click function was designed for, to allow you to see what your teammates are going to pick so you can get a good team that doesn't have all support or all carries, but a mixture of both. Also though shadow picking it awesome, don't allow the timer to hit zero before you pick your hero, instead pick at the 3-5 second mark. I can't even begin to tell you the number of times where someone has messed up a team with a random because their hero was picked out from under them, and with only 5 seconds on the clock it is unlikely that your enemies will have time to respond to your pick. And don't ever troll pick a hero out from under somebody. If you see them shadow pick a hero, consider them to have picked it. Even if they are a brown going scout, in most cases the bad will and lack of teamwork caused by you doing this will cause more damage to the team then they would, and instead consider politely pointing out that since the top two players on your team are over 1600 they are probably better at carrying then a 1300 player. (Though try to put as little emphasis on brown's low stats as possible, as if they think you are insulting them they will become defensive and ignore everything you say).

Be mature. Don't blame things on your allies, don't ever "give up", don't yell, and above all learn to ignore the angry things people say. A very calm "Please stop yelling, I realize I made a mistake there and will stick with the team from now on" is a much better response when you die to a 5-man gank and brown yells "BOT FEEDER GG NOOB IDIOT" regardless of being 0/10/0 then responding with "STFU SH*T-BROWN YOU NOOB" and helps the team cooperate in the future. (Also I've found that asking arguing teammates to stop acting like junior high girls in a cat fight can sometimes stop the them from yelling at each other. :P) Even if somebody is mean to you, that doesn't give you the right to not ward, not call miss, or give up just because they are an idiot. When you do this all you are really doing is making yourself lose more and basically "griefing " the team by purposely not doing something that you could easily do to benefit the team.

Finally a note on KS'ing, and that is that you should be lenient in applying the term. I have seen many times where enemies have managed to escape with 10 hp because the supports were too afraid to be called KS'ers and didn't attack. Now this doesn't mean that it is impossible to KS, I mean a pyro ult on the pesti with 100 hp who is stunned with sb killing him is probably a KS. However if the pesti is about to be no longer stunned and has 500 hp then an ult should no longer be considered KS'ing. After all, at that point there actually is a fair chance he will come off the stun, stun everyone around him, and then escape with his flight with very low health. In general my view is that "A kill with assist is better then no kill at all", meaning that if you think there is a chance that the enemy will get away, then don't be afraid to "KS" it. Yes your carry might be mad at you, but they will probably feel worse if that hero gets away with 5 hp while the long chase sets them up to be killed by the counter gank.

TL; DR Summary:
    1)Play with friends
    2)Don't pick carries to get out, pick flexible heroes that can cover for a variety of failings in your team such as .
    3)Buy wards. Even if you are a carry, you can often farm them much faster then the babysitter letting you get all of the creep kills.
    4)Look at your team before you pick, that's what shadow picking was designed for. Also make sure to pick before the 0 mark to insure that your hero isn't stolen from beneath you, especially with limited FTP heroes.
    5)Be mature. Don't yell or get angry even when insulted, and never give up. A calm head does much more for the team then the loudest rager.
    6)Be forgiving for KS'ers. Often many times they didn't realize they were KS'ing, or they actually thought that the enemy hero might escape. Better for you to get assist gold then for you to get none at all.

^ Yeah I've also figured this out and it's pretty much how I try to play nowadays. I use Polly or Thunder to fit that kind of role (I've also done this with Pyro to some extent). The thing about Polly is that even if you're team is losing fights you can still break through to their base with well timed tower-ulting. I also try to fill this role with tanks when the team seems too squishy, my most played character is Electrician which I have used to exhaustion in the beginning (I loved him since the beta really, had a different account back then that jumped around 1500/1600) and Ra seems to work well too for me.

As far as raging goes, I have to admit, when I see a Lego/Peb dive in between 3-4 players or a Scout/Hound trying to scratch a low hp player who is in the midst of their team and then somehow expect to get out alive, and especially when they insist on repeating such maneuvers; well I just get bloodshot eyes and revert into a Caps-lock insult machine. Not to mention junglers that do absolutely nothing, I mean I get it, you have to farm up, ok good, but if the game is basically 4vs5 thirty minutes in, at our scrub-level we're just done for. The problem is also with these wildcards I seem to get so often nowadays. I played a game recently with a Peb that disconnected because our Myrmidon said he will ward around the 2 minute mark (which seems sensible) instead of right away. I sent the guy a message to reconnect and he said he doesn't give a damn with his "four accounts". I've also been on the giving end in such situations, where we had to play against a two player team (lol) because some guys on my own team wanted an easy win and wouldn't vote to remake.

Thanks for the replies anyway, I played a bit of Flint mid and it seems to be the ticket for now. Any other hero suggestions for mid? Other than Bloodhunter/Warden/Fayde heh.
    Last edited by Vine; 03-09-2012 at 03:58 AM.