Thread: Help Me Convince My Friend to Get PK On Lego

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help Me Convince My Friend to Get PK On Lego

A guy I play a lot of games with is something of a dumbass. He has this tendency not to listen to me, even when I'm right. And I'm usually right, because like I said, he's a dumbass.

The most glaring issue I have with him is Legionnaire. PK isn't the only problem, he's also one of the worst junglers I've ever encountered, but that's harder to fix.

Basically his gameplan (and this is in casual, mind you. Because we aren't real hon players, etc etc.) is to roll into the jungle, farm boots, farm a helm, farm a shamans. He'll usually, with encouragement, try a gank at some point during that time. I've yet to see it work.

Once he's got what he considers to be his core, it's initiation time. He recognizes that he's an initiator, at least. So there we are, anticipating a team fight, he takes the lead, spots an opportunity, and...charges in. The cluster of enemies predictably separates, he's in a one on one fight in the middle of the enemy team, we roll in attempting to do some damage, and it's basically just an accidental five on five cluster****. He started the fight, but he didn't give us an advantage in doing so.

The rest of the team says "Lego how close are you to your port key?" I chuckle sadly. Anyone checking his inventory will discover that he's probably halfway through his barbed armor, perhaps the game's going well despite his failures and he's already started on his demonic. After that he'll be going behe heart.

I know PK is right, that's just obvious. Hell, people get it before helm. His excuse is that he's too squishy. "Stop being a *****" usually doesn't yield the results I want. I point out that every good player of Legionnaire ever has gone PK. He says **** them they don't know what they're doing. Let's keep in mind that he's like a 1550 casual mode player with 2000 games played.

So does anyone have any suggestions for the in the world I can say to this mofo to convince him to buy a damned portal key on legionnaire or, failing that, to stop playing him altogether? Every game we play when he picks him is a loss, or if not a loss then a win due to the other team's shortcomings. It's frustrating.

TL;DR
    Dumbass doesn't get PK on Lego, make him start.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    First, Stack the small camp at X:54 and when it's stacked you'll be level two right away.

Ok, Now whenever you have your early items, as example Hotbl + Phase boots the next thing you should go for is Portal key.

Why:
    Portal key increases your general damage output when used at the right times.
    As example if you simply charge someone, they'll run away and stun you or worse.
    If you do manage to hit them, they've probably ran far enough back to let their team mates kill you.

If you do have a portal key you can jump in, Taunt right when he's in the middle of his own creeps, which procs your whirling blade so much more.
    Also in a teamfight you can portal key in the middle of them and taunt them all.
    You shouldn't be scared at all because your taunt AND charge give you more then 10 Armor and 6 Magic armor (Idk exact numbers) which makes you able to tank all of it.

In the meantime your team should be done being in position and follow up.
    http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showthread.php?p=14134792#post14134792

Hero concepts and quick drafts.

Explain him the two scenarioes at a time when you are not playing. (This is the best time to talk without frustration ruining your communication.)

The one scenario, where he charges in and scatters the opposing team, and only catching one with taunt, leaving him open for 4 enemies to just take a huge dump on him.

And the other, where he blinks in and gets maybe 4 guys in a taunt. Explain to him how much more damage you can do when following up. In this scenario he will actually have to be less tanky as he will only eat a single or 2 spells.
    Also, if he is not in any way confident with the Portal Key, tell him it's ok if he screws up a couple of times, until he gets used to it. It really is one of the best items in the game.

If he still doesn't get it? Then we are all very happy he plays casual only ^^

he can choose between locking 0-2 players or locking 3-5 players with a PK
    if you lock 3 players or more, and your teammates respond in time, you've won the teamfight pretty much, since they can just finish off the enemies that are attacking Legio (+ they get a lot of counter axes from legio)

simple as that

Account Icon
    your friend, your problem

message of the day: choose your friends carefully

Stop playing with him if he doesnt listen,also junglers suck ass in cm,have him pick some retarded no brainer hero like RA/monarch

Junglers aren't bad in cm, gets you levels really fast as well as your teammate who's soloing.

At least he knows that he needs a helm? I played with a lego who went bulwark shamans etc WITHOUT getting a helm. At like 30 minutes in we're telling him to get a fkn helm and he just keeps saying that he doesn't need one. He was constantly getting picked off by the opponent's deadwood, and each time in fights deadwood KNEW that the most surefire kill was going after our legionnaire...It's always worrysome when a DW knows that your tank is a more surefire kill than one of our supports or squishy carries.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Honestly I don't think it would matter if your friend gets a PK or not - he just sucks. I played leggo for a while and depending on hero combination I decide to go PK or not, as it is not ALWAYS required to rape. I have at least 20-30 games with him where I went something like 18-4 winning the game without having a PK. When I feel like we need it, I buy it to win and not to just rapetroll the other team. If your friend can't farm and gank correctly, PK will only make him feed anyway. I'm sure he will blink in with his bad timing and get insta killed anyway.

My MMR ranges from 1500 to 1650 usually, when it is around a 1500 game I usually troll around without a PK, then when it gets into high 1600 and 1700 most of the times I get the PK to be effective. I think it is pretty clear that if your friend fails in a CM game..... he just sucks PK or not.

just let him know, hes the reason you lose games... cause its true.
    Nighthound is the best hero ever... deal with it.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    I have friends like this that will fail no matter what and telling them they suck only makes them not listen to you. I still play and lose a lot because of them, but I'd rather play with real life friends even if they suck than to obsess about my MMR

Steal from him, show him how much more effective you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyandex View Post
    Actually this sounds like the best idea in this thread. You should do this.

When people are too stupid to understand things like why lego should get a pk the only thing that'll really work is leaving him to it and let him work it out 6 months down the line

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyandex View Post
    This x1000

When I first started playing DotA back in the day, I was your stereotypical baddo who didn't understand the first thing about the game. Why waste so much gold (2150) in one big chunk on an item that doesn't even give me damage or health?!?! The more you play the more you learn, and the best way to believe something is to be proven wrong.
    "The game knows no rules of "honor" or of "cheapness." The game only knows winning and losing." ~David Sirlin

My Guide to playing HoN drunk: http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showthread.php?t=342081

S2 Staff Member S2 Games Staff
    Just tell him to read my guide in my signature

S2 Games: Dedicated employees serving dedicated gamers. Continuous development. Never-ending improvement.
    -----------------------------

Also available by emailing support@heroesofnewerth.com!

Quote Originally Posted by Valtieri View Post
    This x1000

When I first started playing DotA back in the day, I was your stereotypical baddo who didn't understand the first thing about the game. Why waste so much gold (2150) in one big chunk on an item that doesn't even give me damage or health?!?! The more you play the more you learn, and the best way to believe something is to be proven wrong.
    There's the problem. Dude's got like 3000 games played. When I do something, such as outperform him as Lego, he just tells me I got lucky. Or maybe, subconsciously, accepts that I'm better than him (I am). The last thing he'll do is give credit to the PK.

Also he's a friend in real life, so I can't really bail on him.

Thanks for the input thus far. Maybe I'll just direct him to this thread and let him read the numerous posts agreeing with me. Wouldn't hurt.

Sure you can bail on him. Invis Mode FTW.

On topic, i would start suggesting ridiculous things to him.
    "Hey, why come you no shroud?"

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by ElementUser View Post
    Just tell him to read my guide in my signature
    I love your guide
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiro_Chan View Post
    names in general are just too much. srsly! next hero should just be in binary.

01110011 01110100 01110101 01110000 01101001 01100100 00100000 01101110 01101111 01101111 01100010 01110011

Quote Originally Posted by Roefl View Post
    First, Stack the small camp at X:54 and when it's stacked you'll be level two right away.

Ok, Now whenever you have your early items, as example Hotbl + Phase boots the next thing you should go for is Portal key.

Why:
    Portal key increases your general damage output when used at the right times.
    As example if you simply charge someone, they'll run away and stun you or worse.
    If you do manage to hit them, they've probably ran far enough back to let their team mates kill you.

If you do have a portal key you can jump in, Taunt right when he's in the middle of his own creeps, which procs your whirling blade so much more.
    Also in a teamfight you can portal key in the middle of them and taunt them all.
    You shouldn't be scared at all because your taunt AND charge give you more then 10 Armor and 6 Magic armor (Idk exact numbers) which makes you able to tank all of it.

In the meantime your team should be done being in position and follow up.
    Sad misstake Charge increases the attackspeed of the enemy making your CHARGE give you more procs on the whirling blade (the taunt is obvious)
    Sols on negative is a mandatory itempickup, Skillbuild is max charge asap skill first level on whirling blade, skill taunt when you can, skill ultimate allways.
    stack everything but catman then charge in and get the gold 10 times faster.
    charge -> 50% more attackspeed ->50% less damage from them.
    Also the manacost of blink->charge->taunt->ultimate is pretty high or blink,traunt,charge,ultimate how ever you like it.
    Lately i tend to not buy a blink at all since i realized that im the only one tanking and the only one dealing suffient damage on my team so instead i simple build a shieldbreaker, with sols n shieldbreaker you deal wicked damage with the charge, where i do see the need for a portalkey is in the big teamclashes my games seem to either end before those or be lost before that cause of the teams inabillitys to pick decent int heros instead of 1000 worthless agi's.

It all comes down to how you manage to position yourself before you start charging if you need a portalkey or not.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Yeah in 1400 MMR games it is easy to troll around without a PK