Thread: The Worst Mistakes (mini-guide)

Account Icon

The Worst Mistakes (mini-guide)

Intro:
    First of All Im Mercfh, I've been playing DOTA for a good 5 years. since back in the Eul's days. While Im not a super awesome guide writer, I figured i'd write a short guide about the biggest mistakes I see new players make. So this short little (subjective) guide may help new players, and vets alike. Like i said, this isn't meant to be some long epic guide, but more a series of tips to help out.

Why We Need a Guide:
    Most people honestly feel they know how to play the game, and honestly most people who've played for a decent amount of time know what they are doing. BUT even I see experienced players make the same mistakes over and over again. Plus it doesn't hurt for new players to have some tips on how not to get bloodlusted within 2 min into the game.

Also i know alot of this may seem like "common sense" to some. but for others it isn't, and sadly I see people do these things more often than I should, so a nice reminder is always handy.

The ListAP GAMES ONLY, NO EM)

Items
    -Possibly the biggest mistake made by most newer players is items. I see all sorts of things and one should always read guides to get a familiar understanding of good items to build with heroes. But Im here to explain something I see WAY too much of.
    Boots+Relic's. This is an extremely poor item choice with the exception of a few heroes (Swiftblade namely, for firstblood). Why is it such a poor choice? Well because most smart players are going to be harassing. ALOT and boots somewhat give a false impression of safety, but with no stats it's actually alot more hampering to your hero.

I mean Regen is almost always a must, unless your hero can naturally regen (Demeneted Shaman is a good example), And dont forget the minor totems, they are AMAZING. They also make very cheap filler items. +1 to all stats may seem "crappy" but that extra health and mana really adds up. If I know Im going to be harassed I may buy a ring and fill the rest with minor totems. It's extremely effective in harassing lanes, and gives you a good set of stats to boot. Also Mana battery/Power Supply is an AMAZING item for any hero, I buy a mana battery with almost every hero if I can fit it in simply because you will use it ALOT. You have no idea how many times a fully charged Power Supply has saved me.

Another Problem I see if bottle. Bottle is amazing, very amazing in fact. But sometimes I see people buy bottle....for basically no reason. Bottle does give amazing health regen, but half the time I dont even see people pick up runes. So it's almost like a one time use for a good while. Just a small nitpick but tl;dr dont buy bottle unless you plan on using it.

Also one another thing. I see alot of people buy mana potions.....and then use them and they get dispelled. Remember if someone hits you with these on, it's a COMPLETE waste. so only get them if you can stay far enough back to not get hit.

Heroes
    -Ah heroes, they make or break the game. But I see the same people pick the same heroes and do terribly, and then question why their PSR is so low.

First of all (and were all guilty of this) trying a hero "because you've never played him" is not usually something people want to hear. This suggestion may seem "lame" but honestly it's worth it. Go in practice mode, and try the new hero. Max his level and try out his new skills. It will at least give you an idea of how they work (also gives you an idea of how they work if someone else is playing that hero against you). Ideally this should be done for every hero, but I also realize that's not something anyone wants to do. Regardless every skill should at least be "casually" glanced over to give the person an idea of how they work.

Hero Selection is an obvious mistake people make all the time, people want to play their favorite heroes and I totally understand that. My suggestion is to find 3-4 FAVORITE heroes to play. One support/One initiator (or tank)/One agil carry......you get the idea. You have no clue how many times I see people pick 4 int, and then the opposing team picks magebane, and the last person picks torturer (because it's his/her favorite hero). The team in question is obviously going to lose with that lineup. Instead if that person had learned to be good with 3-4 heroes he'd have more of a selection to learn with.

One Other thing I must mention is to look at your lineup. This kinda goes with my previous post. But if you are playing to win you have to examine your teams needs. I constantly see teams (In AP) pick all carries or all ints. This isn't going to fly 90% of the time (unless the other team picks even more retarded of a lineup). Because Heroes obviously have strengths and weaknesses. This also goes with opposite teams, if they tempest...then it's probably a good idea to go with a warlock, or someone who can disable him from far away.
    Remember, the team that counterpicks is the one that usually wins.

General Gameplay
    This is Kinda stuff I more or less notice less experienced players make. More or less these are a few things I see that people should be actively thinking about.

First off, know when to back away. I see people constantly go in one after the other and get slaughtered. If three of your friends died, and theirs still 4 heroes left, It's prolly best to go back. I mean HoN is a team game, because have you ever noticed that teams that roam and gank as ALL 5 usually win. Well it's because a 5 man team is going to instantly crush most <4 member teams, if someone is off somewhere by themselves and those 5 gankers come, well you can pretty much guess that persons dead.

Another thing I find personally extremely annoying, is people that are either way too passive or way too aggressive. Overly Aggressive players are 'typically' the ones who die early in the game, where deaths and kills matter the most. Being overly Aggressive is 'usually' not a good idea, harassing is one thing but ramboing does nothing but leaves your team -1 hero.
    Being overly passive isn't worth it either, alot of people are afraid of being killed in HoN, so they stay back. This pretty much cripples your team worse than having one less player because your going to die...but the point of the game is to have more of their players (or all of them) die and leave some of your heroes alive. I have lost many a times because a hero is too afraid to fight when it would've been normally obvious the battle would've been won.

On a slightly less serious note, remember it's just a game. HoN or Dota was never known to have the nicest community, but it's a strict community. You have to remember that me and others put time into these games, and we play it to win. Just remember that mindset. Dont get me wrong, it's a game and I want to have fun just like everyone else. But the most enjoyment comes when a team works together and wins the game. The worst thing in this game is a team that falls apart by arguing or being spiteful.

And Remember that noone is typically going to hold your hand. Because this game is EXTREMELY intense that it basically takes most of our concentration to take care of our own hero. So when we say do this or that, were really just trying to help you and win ourselves at the same time.

Let me add a section to your "heroes" category

Heroes
    Playing against two or more of these heroes outside of competitive is a surefire way to lose. Pick counters ASAP or ragequit before your game gets ruined
    Pestilence
    Scout
    Puppet Master
    Arachna

Quote Originally Posted by fratey View Post
    Heroes
    Playing against two or more of these heroes outside of competitive is a surefire way to lose. Pick counters ASAP or ragequit before your game gets ruined

Puppet Master
    Arachna
    You don't need to pick counters for these. Almost every hero in the game counters them. Particularly Puppet Master. Just gank them.

In fact even if you don't gank them, they're still a joke.

Forum Moderators are not S2 Games employees. My posts in no way represent the view of S2 Games or any of its staff.

Please use the report post function to have me review a post that you believe is breaking the Forum Rules.
    Check the Sticky Threads for additional information on this sub-forum and the Announcement Threads for more information about Heroes of Newerth as a whole!

-----------------------------

Having trouble getting started? The Training Grounds and Project Epoch can help!
    I am of the firm opinion that subtracting "raging stupidity" from anyone's voice can only cause them to sound more like myself.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Tbh they arent if they get farmed Trip, arachna isnt anyway.

You have no idea how many pubs ive been able to carry as arachna (Q+R=DEAD) :/

she is essentially a lamer version of moon queen :/

Quote Originally Posted by Kharg View Post
    Tbh they arent if they get farmed Trip, arachna isnt anyway.

You have no idea how many pubs ive been able to carry as arachna (Q+R=DEAD) :/

she is essentially a lamer version of moon queen :/
    Unfortunately if they get farmed, it means you did something horribly wrong.

Taking the following steps in a PuB against Arachna will prevent her from ever being more than an annoyance:

1. Don't travel alone in the forest
    2. Put a strong harassment hero in mid, someone like Hellbringer can prevent her from farming
    3. Gank her frequently.

Essentially do to her what you would do to any carry hero. The only reason she stands out is because her slow is annoying, she's no more powerful than Warbeast in reality.

Forum Moderators are not S2 Games employees. My posts in no way represent the view of S2 Games or any of its staff.

Please use the report post function to have me review a post that you believe is breaking the Forum Rules.
    Check the Sticky Threads for additional information on this sub-forum and the Announcement Threads for more information about Heroes of Newerth as a whole!

-----------------------------

Having trouble getting started? The Training Grounds and Project Epoch can help!
    I am of the firm opinion that subtracting "raging stupidity" from anyone's voice can only cause them to sound more like myself.

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripwyr View Post
    Unfortunately if they get farmed, it means you did something horribly wrong.

Taking the following steps in a PuB against Arachna will prevent her from ever being more than an annoyance:

2. Put a strong harassment hero in mid, someone like Hellbringer can prevent her from farming
    3. Gank her frequently.

Essentially do to her what you would do to any carry hero. The only reason she stands out is because her slow is annoying, she's no more powerful than Warbeast in reality.

but but but you said dont gank them and they're still a joke, then said gank them frequently YOU LIED

A bad arachna sees this as a negative thing.
    A clever arachna sees this as a glaring opportunity. Just by being picked, Arachna creates fear.
    Of course, you can always pick raw power to counter. This applies to just about every hero.
    3. Gank her frequently.
    What's that 200 gold item called that makes her ungankable for 6 minutes and also provides runes for the team? Wards or something, I think.

And because you said "Put a strong harassment hero", I assume you mean when the team knows how to play. Usually there's miss calls in decent teams, too.

Account Icon
    I would say that one of the worst mistakes is putting bolded blue on a black background. I cannot read that at all. Please change it.
    New to Heroes of Newerth? Find help in the Training Grounds.

DenyTheTruth is not an employee of S2. All views in the above post are that of the poster and not that of S2 Games unless otherwise stated.

How to own arachna (or bloodhunter): buy homecoming stones. ta-da! Now arachna won't get farmed.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by DenyTheTruth View Post
    I would say that one of the worst mistakes is putting bolded blue on a black background. I cannot read that at all. Please change it.
    countered by control+a =\
    twk.

To all the people who said that I'd never be able to write a joke about Bukkake. Hah! In your face

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by thewishkah View Post
    countered by control+a =\
    I could just go and change it myself if I really wanted. I don't see why I would ever want to read an entirely highlighted page, though.
    New to Heroes of Newerth? Find help in the Training Grounds.

DenyTheTruth is not an employee of S2. All views in the above post are that of the poster and not that of S2 Games unless otherwise stated.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by DenyTheTruth View Post
    I could just go and change it myself if I really wanted. I don't see why I would ever want to read an entirely highlighted page, though.
    it builds eye strength and tolerance to photosensitive-epileptic seisures.
    twk.

To all the people who said that I'd never be able to write a joke about Bukkake. Hah! In your face