Thread: [2.2.8] Engineer

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    I really dislike that melee don't have a way of dealing with mine stacks other than running on top of them and activating barbed armor / shrunken head.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    They can always bring something to spot the mines, alternatively get a Whispering Helm and have the minion lead the way.... Always... =P
    RIP in Pepperonis m8
    I cry evertim

//Greger af Moek de la Hoek from Soek in Roek

Am i the only one who thinks that the original engi was a really neat hero? Way too strong, definitely, but the concept was awesome and seemed to flow. I cant stand how engi is now, because his abilities dont really flow at all and he just feels incredibly gimmicky.

So go ahead, shoot me down, but I want the original engi back, with a much less powerful/scaling turret of course.

And for god sakes, if i can't have that, at LEAST get rid of the mines. If you want a hero to have that ability, then howabout you make a hero that would fit that ability instead of just throwing it on engi because someone thought tinker was boring. It feels like you put a piece of plywood over a pothole and the ability is so out of place and gimmicky i dont even look at the hero anymore.

(Not that Tinker should be equated to a pothole - I want that ability back)

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    I think he's in a good spot right now although a buff to The Keg would be great as it is underwhelming for a skill shot. He rewards quick thinking and being able to use all of his skills in a fashion that is required for the situation. Turret has a great damage output and can easily melt foes who resist its push, mines add for decent burst and can be used as recon and area denial. His Ultimate costs mana due to its powerful nature. The ability to purge an entire area in addition to a huge damage over time for those who don't destroy it.

He is restricted by skill shots and bound by his mana costs, if we change his mana costs to be lower then he will go out the window. He is not meant to be spammy, he is meant to be able to launch his spells with precision and with no room for error.

In short, buffing his mana costs will just make him another hero; keeping the mana costs as they are and increasing the reward for proper placement and landing those shots would be a better change IF ANYTHING. A small damage buff to The Keg (such as doing more if the person is caught dead center of the blast), or a buff to mine damage while now applying a form of "suppressed" to reward those who don't stack mines as each would do less and less over a short duration... thats all he needs. Just more reward for his skillshots and placements.

Clarification: What I mean for the mines is a damage increase but now they deal less and less for each mine the target is struck with for a small duration ("Suppressed" is like his Turret); this could encourage smarter mine placement and more interesting uses for them.

My 2c. Overall. Borderline but The Keg needs to be looked at if anything at all.
    I am the beast, the defiler, the source of all pain.
    The darkness will cover the lands once again.
    So make peace with whatever it is the gods worship, the end has come.

Quote Originally Posted by STFU`BEAR View Post
    I made a thread about Engi not so along ago, and the majority seemed to think Engi was in a good spot.

One change I think everyone would like to see, is him getting XP from mine kills which are out of XP range. Being good at placing mines should lead to the player being underleveled.
    ^ and he will be fine ... maybe a bit OP but still there are tons of other worse heroes in terms of cheap play atm

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    base attack damage/animation damge or stat gains would put him in a good spot(?)

Make Keg push allies aswell and make him int.

Wait I have the best idea! Nobody has thought it ever! Let's make him Agi!

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Yes, being agi would automatically mean he scales better, can trasition to a semi-carry and build Nullfire to purge Jeraziah's, etc etc. (WHAT DOES HIS ULT DO THIS DISPELL THING ALREADU AND WOULD IT STILL BE A GOOD IDEA TO PICK UP, NO **** NO OMG)
    RIP in Pepperonis m8
    I cry evertim

Purge Jeraziah? That's silly, nobody purges Jeraziah. You just let them run around 5 seconds being pretty much unkillable with their team. Then if you happen to be alive, you jump on them and kill them.

Purge Jeraziah. Pft.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilrax View Post
    Purge Jeraziah? That's silly, nobody purges Jeraziah. You just let them run around 5 seconds being pretty much unkillable with their team. Then if you happen to be alive, you jump on them and kill them.

Purge Jeraziah. Pft.
    These posts should not be allowed in balance. They are not vs. another point, nor are they a point themselves.

Moderators need to notice this or be replaced.

On subject, engineer needs to have a different third skill. I don't see a solution involving the current mechanic that will make this hero worth having in the game.
    #reinstateapostate

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    More of a point that the ultimate is more useful and "counters" certain heroes quite well. Sure the ability is also "countered" by defiler or FA.

Engineer is all right in his current shape, giving him something new instead of mines would be a buff, something I do not believe he needs.

I wouldn't mind seeing a buff to the mines to make them more like Techies' mines. However I do not see that happening, mixed damage mines that cap at 600 damage is something people would hate.
    I also wouldn't mind a small durability buff to his ultimate, but that'd be wicked too pretty much, or a damage-mechanic revert on the ult. Still don't think it's -needed- to make him a decent hero.

Yes, mines promotes undesired play for some. I strangely do not hate the skill however, it is mainly not used in that way anyways. If you notice that the opposing Engineer does not have Turret and Keg maxed you just mind where you go and be aggressive in the lane instead, get wards like you would VS a Fayde or NH. Use your head. "OMG I NEED TO USE HEAD **** BIG HERO, RA MUCH BETTER".

Oh, another big thing against Engineer mines, that's big in every single game regardless. PuZZLE bOx man. Not only did you buy a minesweeper, you also bought detection.

Who haven't been saying that Rampage/Blood Hunter are crap heroes because they can be countered by items such as Tablet/TP/whatever? Engineer's mines can be countered too, I'd even say that the PB minions are great against his ult.

Now one could make the point that Engineer is useless because of this in defense of me pointing out that the undesired play from a mine-active engineer. Well, he has two great skills in Keg and Turret, they offer great tools in a lane. "OMG THEY COST MANA", yes just because you're used to play Ra-tarded heroes doesn't mean every hero should be like that. It's not LoL. Andromeda's, Hammerstorm's, Magmus' stuns cost mana too, Keg is cheaper than that and also has a good stun timer.

I would claim that Engineer does his job well, yes mines are in many people's eyes undesirable. So is Tanky dps, so is over-powerful versatility, so is heroes without stuns/silences. Engineer is in fact a hero that has all kinds of disables, silence, slow, stun, he's just missing an immobilize. How CAN THAT NOT BE USEFUL? They even have great range on top of that. In a team fight the mines are a bad, delayed, less radius and more spammable (3 times) version of Sonar Scream. You don't have to be an allmighty prophet to use the mines half-decently when you're done with Keg and Turret. In fact if you're in charge of the warding or have good communication with the warder on your team you'll have a decent chance of knowing where to place the mines, should you have nothing better to do.
    RIP in Pepperonis m8
    I cry evertim

Numbers balance, not the concepts when it comes down to these borderline tweaks.

He is not as useful as he could be due to the numbers on his skills such as the number of hits his ultimate takes, or how often he gets his cooldowns. You should not have to buy a puzzlebox just for this hero's counters.
    #reinstateapostate

Engineer is pretty balanced imo but the darn attack animation stinks.

Spider mines now damage towers. This would make that skill worth grabbing as well as giving him more utility. This and maybe the global exp. they gave to all heroes in Dota with globals would boost him in the rankings of a good support/utility hero.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    That is how it works on Techies' mines AFAIK.
    RIP in Pepperonis m8
    I cry evertim

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by GregerMoek View Post
    That is how it works on Techies' mines AFAIK.
    Much like Tiny's Throw does, as an oversight. Not that it matters much. Tower armour means that they're hardly worth putting under the tower unless it's also clearing a creep wave to go along with it.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    However, Engineer's mines are not mixed, meaning they'll deal magic damage to towers, the numbers would have to be adjusted however, I guess. 300 magic damage to a tower is too much. Considering Tort's **** deals more damage but is physical, but whatever I think he's not bad in his current shape even so.
    RIP in Pepperonis m8
    I cry evertim

MatchID #69263720 27:20 Jery applies charm to him while inside of engi's ulti, as soon as he passes thru the fence, charm is removed. Engi's ulti isn't superior magic either, does it purge and the tooltip is incorrect?

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Engi's ultimate purges if you pass through its edges, yes. Always been like that IIRC.

Forum Moderators are not S2 Games employees. My posts in no way represent the view of S2 Games or any of its staff.

Please use the report post function to have me review a post that you believe is breaking the Forum Rules.
    Check the Sticky Threads for additional information on this sub-forum and the Announcement Threads for more information about Heroes of Newerth as a whole!

-----------------------------