Iv'e been playing this game for about two months now. Lately, iv'e been playing alot of AR games to learn each hero better. As i know most of you allready know, one of the absolute keys to become good in this game is to know each hero 100%.
Anyways, my PSR is just going down. Why?
* I can only join "noobs only" or "noobs allowed" games or else im kicked before i'l be in the game lobby
* 90% of all the games i play (and noob games generally) allways have one team that is much better than the other, and after 5-10 min it's allready to late to win.
* Unfortunatly with my luck, i tend to be in the last 10% all the time. Even though im a decent player with pretty good K\D ratio, my team is loosing and i loose points.
* It is, by experience, IMPOSSIBLE to know if i will be in the "good team or bad team". I allways check the win percent on each team, and often leave my slot or disconnect if it's like 70/30. The thing is, i allways play games with max 60/40. The problem is, you don't have time to /stats every player on your team between Auto-Balance and countdown. (That's 5 sec, gl).
So, the question is, how in hell do i increase my psr? I'm an average player with no dota experience, so i would say i could do it well in 1550+ psr matches. The problem is, i can't join them... because my psr is to low, and will continue to be low if i don't do something (And i don't know how to do it).
This will help with your stats problem:
1) MAKE FRIENDS! I always give the same advice to people. Even if it's just 2 of you playing well, you can sway the tide of the game in your favor given the right heroes.
2) COMMUNICATE! Before the match starts, talk to your teammates about their picks etc. Find out which of them suck at support/carry/intiate and have them pick accordingly.
3) STRATEGIZE! -AR is not the best choice for winning games as you can't "stack" the odds by picking a well-organized synergistic team ahead of time. Try playing SD or RD instead, and definitely don't play -EM if you are looking to play with a higher level of player.
4) WARDS! If your teammates suck, try to compensate by warding runes and common pathways; it may save their lives and thus help win you the game.
5) Join TGM and play with us? That way PSR won't matter.
Last edited by TreeHorse; 10-21-2009 at 02:29 PM.
1) If you're looking at stats, stat them while people are joining and the game hasn't started. At the very least it can give you hints as to how the enemy team will play (highest psr guy has 2:1 kdr, should probably expect a strong carry mid, etc.) and it passes the time.
2) join TGM
Joining TGM will not increase your PSR. However, we don't care what your PSR is, and you'll have an easier to getting into games.
We almost always have 10+ people online, and you'll have no problem getting into TGM hosted games. New games are hosted almost every 15 minutes.
But a steady way to keep your PSR, just talk to your team and participate in the higher up games. I have found that in a majority of the higher up games that the players their are much more open to new players unless it states in the title a set psr limit or minimum.
Just try to find a group of friends you can talk to and enjoy your game with. That is what I used my beta keys for. I now have a Full team to play with.
If you whisper me in game I am willing to invite you to TGM.
Short anwser to topic: You can't.
Long: If u can keep growing your PSR steady, that means you are the best player in the world. For the rest of us, the PSR will be caped to our skill level compared to others, thus the only way to improve it is playing better than others, and this is not allways possible!
You can not grind PSR, you can get better at the game (meaning playing with friends, better lane control, better ganking skills, whatever), and this will make your PSR grow, but allways to a cap. Cap = you ability to defeat better players than you.
Now you may adhere to the "PSR ITS BROKEN/FAIL" thesis, but ELO systems have been used for years in many different competitions, chess most notably since it was designed for it, and it has proven itself a valid meter of players skill. Not perfect, nothing it is, but valid.
i find the best way to increase your PSR if your looking for it is to follow some rules
first, always check the host, no matter what, most of the time the person that will pubstomp your face will be the host and his friends...
sooo, second, check all locks, if there are locks check them
third, never play a game with more than 3 locks on either side unless you are on the side with the locks (this being said that that group of locks has good KdA (yes assists omg)
never look at the % unless you have like over 60% because then you probably wont gain that much psr from winning (this is our goal no?)
choose your hero wisely, i usually play games as random and i never press ready untill everyone else has, incase i have to switch due to noob picking (you mean 5 carries isnt a good team?, but they do damage, its gud, you get kills rawr---support can equal a win)
most importantly, don't feel bad about leaving a game during countdown... its better to look for a game for 8 or 10 minutes than to play a 30 minute rapefest (i guess 15 is more accurate)
these are what i go by, and it has been steadily increasing with one or two flukes here or there, but of course now that i have said its going up, i will go on a losing streak, yay
Make friends in game, play to your strengths (ie. if you find that you are good with timing pyro's stun and you've never played torturer, try him out, the stuns are similar, both have aoe nukes..), and don't play a game against people who are obviously much better than you (check stats, PSR means nothing... I've seen 1700+ psr players with a 0.9-1.1 : 1 K/D ratio, which is not bad, but not spectacular), and DON'T CONCEDE unless you are 100% sure you have lost (ie. 2 or more sets of base towers/rax are down and the opponents still has their full base and inner towers). I've seen many times when my allies wan't to concede just because we got genocided or 1 of our sets of rax got destroyed, and I was the only one to vote no, and then we come back to win.
Ultimately, the only way to raise your PSR is to keep at the game, and don't give up just because you're frustrated.
If you feel that it is the AR that is keeping you down, just pick a certian psr and if you are below choose games that you can pick a hero you are good with until you get past the threshold, and then play AR games.
I would also recommend playing SD instead of AR. With AR games they can be decided (assuming equally skilled teams) before they start, but SD allows you to (attempt to) create a team (though it doesnt happen all that often in the ~1500psr games i play in)
i'd go with the find some friends and play with them option. preferably 4 of them if you can, as even one random person on your side can turn an enjoyable game into a massive fail. Nothing is more annoying than playing with 3 friends only to have one random throwing your game by feeding the other team some 15 odd kills cause he doesn't seem to grasp the game.
If you have to play on your own, try to stay clear of AR, RD and AP games as in my personal opinion they tend to turn into the biggest fail fest in lower PSR games. 9 times out of 10 in an AR game one side will get a nicely balanced team while the other gets stuck with all str, no disables, no synergies.
The same holds true in AP and RD, people will always go for the obvious picks in lower lvl games nighthound, scout, magebane etc over the far more useful disablers or support heroes and you'll end up on a team that will never achieve anything. the most common one, and my personal favorite is 2 carries picked first on your team, you pick a support or disabler, the 4th one picks a carry aswell, and number 5 with his final pick having seen everyone else pick and thus being in the best position to pick a counter or balance out the team to some extent, still goes for a carry -__-
You usually cannot change the outcome of the game with your only decent pick, not even if it's tempest or another hero with a game changing ultimate.
unfortunately picking a balanced team means next to nothing to most of the people with a psr between 1300 - high 1600's , they all want that lategame agi hero glory with all the kills cause they've seen other players (and usually they're not that great) do it, the only thing they fail to realise is that they won't ever get there unless they have a balanced team to support them through early-mid game as the successful agi carry usually has.
basically it's a sad state and it's slightly remniscent of dota pub games, the only difference here is that people don't leave and destroy your game, they'll just stand in base and spam concede :/
before i left europe for a while i used to play pickup games all the time in #dota.pickup , skill levels tended to vary from some IH players to pubskill people trying to get a decent game so they could improve.
More than half of those games would be decent cause people took their picks seriously (if you played rd anyway) and even if it was ar, badly balanced teams would usually repick and hope for a more balanced setup, eventually just leaving you with a better quality of game.
Someone should make a pickup channel for this game, it would serve alot of people well.