Thread: [2.2.0] Devourer Guttling Hook

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yeah... I guess you could nerf dev's hook... or you could just not get hooked into his tower. :/

Seriously, there is only one possible angle he can possibly hook you from to put you into such a devastating position. It's not like you can buy a ward to put on his side of the river or anything either. No, you should just nerf hook. :/

It's basically a lot like the same argument that was used to try and say we should nerf Rampage. Except Devourer is possibly easier to counter than Rampage, since you mostly just need sight. And most things that work on Rampage work just as well on Devourer.

That said I do think Devourer is better than Rampage in most cases, but I don't see how giving him the boomerang hook back is going to make him broken. I'm not sure why they removed it in the first place in all honesty. Anyone else know?

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilrax View Post
    That said I do think Devourer is better than Rampage in most cases, but I don't see how giving him the boomerang hook back is going to make him broken. I'm not sure why they removed it in the first place in all honesty. Anyone else know?
    The worst player on MSI qq'd.

Guess who it is.

Backhook being removed was one of the most confusing changes S2 has ever done, especially after reading that one particular thread. I couldn't believe they took that post seriously - it was so ridiculous that I was fully convinced he was trolling.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    What are you doing approving threads like these China?

Quote Originally Posted by Brannock View Post
    Backhook being removed was one of the most confusing changes S2 has ever done, especially after reading that one particular thread. I couldn't believe they took that post seriously - it was so ridiculous that I was fully convinced he was trolling.
    I`d be surprised if he wasn't trolling, that post looked like someone took 30minutes to read GD and made thread with quotes from there.

S2 Staff Member S2 Games Staff
    Dev can be completely destroyed by certain mids. As said by a previous poster, rock paper scissors.

S2 Games: Dedicated employees serving dedicated gamers. Continuous development. Never-ending improvement.
    -----------------------------

Strength Moves Only Mountains, Ideas Shift Worlds.

Having trouble solving the art of the Puzzlebox? Have no fear! Simply click here

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    if anything they should buff him a little and add back boomerang hooking, nerfing devo would be completely retarded, he destroys certain mid heroes completely, while the rest shits in his face

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Why was this **** approved? LOL
    Dev level 1 hook too stronk

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Good_Apollo View Post
    What are you doing approving threads like these China?
    embarassing op, ofc.

thread's gonna close soon. final thoughts in, thx.

S2 Staff Member S2 Games Staff
    400 / 600 / 800 / 1000 range was stupid. A 400 range hook was useless. Useless. I would support a 700 / 800 / 900 / 1000 range though. 700 range is like a solid ranged nuke - perfectly appropriate for a skill shot even at level 1.

If I could vote on it, I would not allow the return hook to come back. I don't have any justification on that issue though; it is only my gut feeling that it would make it too strong.
    Last edited by MacroHard; 10-04-2011 at 10:08 AM.

S2 Games: Dedicated employees serving dedicated gamers. Continuous development. Never-ending improvement.
    -----------------------------

When I was younger I had an imaginary friend.
    Now, with internet gaming, I have hundreds of imaginary friends.

-American proverb

devo is underpowered if anything.
    No idea what you could do to him as his over reliance on landing hooks is his big weakness. I'd consider reducing the hook cool down by a couple seconds.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Final thoughts:

**** freshpro
    **** the whiners
    Give dev back his backswing

Account Icon
    I rather liked the suggestion of introducing backhook but with not doing damage if you don't hit on the way out. It would improve his lategame initiation, at the trade-off of potentially screwing you if you mess up early game. It adds a nice element of skill, and balances him a bit better against good players.

If you can't hit the skillshot, you don't get the reward - the end.
    Let me spell it out plain for you
    Angry people complain about the things I do
    I'm not changing direction, I'm stepping my game up
    Maintaining my name, the same way I came up.

Truth is, I thought it mattered
    I thought that music mattered.
    But does it? Bollocks!
    Not compared to how people matter.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Anakha View Post
    If you can't hit the skillshot, you don't get the reward - the end.
    Do you think the difficulty in landing this skill-shot is just for its reward? I understand that the rewards for landing it are tremendous , but how hard is it to avoid getting hit by Devo's hook? I have a hard time seeing it left at what you said because it feels like the success of landing a hook is more reliant on an enemy's lack of preparation/positioning than it is the skill of the actual player.

ok ill break devo down for yall since ive been playing him since beta

basically his hook started out as the above stated 400 600 800 1000 range. it was this big sloppy crab hook at first. and now i have played him at this time and i have hit 400 range hooks, and i can tell you it felt good, to hit someone with the shittiest skill in the game. back in beta. so in put came in and they thinned it out, but it was still traveling.... hmmm sideways... so they fixed it along they same time they changed valkryies arrow. at which point they also increased the range to max. so now it was at the point where you could snipe through creeps properly, had a proper hit box. so many people agreed this was good. the way hooking was supposed to feel like. so basically devo had become very decent. with his backswing still. but something was wrong. when you ulted someone after hooking them, a large majority of the cases they wouldnt get in to rot range. at which point s2 changed his ult to make him grow so theyed get in rot range. at which point people claimed he was too powerful along with the backswing. so they removed it. at which point people agreed hes balanced but alot more smeh and more situational then he used to be.

and i love the **** outta the back swing. it added a far bigger element to devos arsonal. at that point you could create angles and not wait for certain oppurtunities or exploit players patterns, you get could hit them with something invisible in an area they thought was safe. or you could shoot it in opposite direction and cut them off too kill them on the way back.

anyways point being is this....everyone agrees beta days were awesome no question.

so id rather leave it untouched as it is, add the backswing if possible, but ill agree to a range nerf IIIIIFFFFF they add the backswing =P

but in the end its there game so ill wait n see =D

no other hero is completely defined by a single skill like devo is. hes just balanced poorly, rather then under/overpowered

without hook devo is borderline a giant creep.
    with hook he can pretty much guarenteee an enemy death in most situations.

Devourer is fine right now, I think. If anything, his attack animation needs a buff to be a little faster; it slows him down too much while chasing.

Quote Originally Posted by LegoPirate View Post
    no other hero is completely defined by a single skill like devo is. hes just balanced poorly, rather then under/overpowered

without hook devo is borderline a giant creep.
    with hook he can pretty much guarenteee an enemy death in most situations.
    But even if you miss your hook with devourer you can still slow and ulti, and you're pretty tanky to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by skowt View Post
    Devourer is fine right now, I think. If anything, his attack animation needs a buff to be a little faster; it slows him down too much while chasing.

But even if you miss your hook with devourer you can still slow and ulti, and you're pretty tanky to boot.
    you can apply a 20% ms slow and a 3 second disable on a 30 second cd. at melee range to boot.

i sense big plays.