Thread: Removing team color from skin

Removing team color from skin

I've been trying many things but I can never get the team color on a skin I am making to go away, any suggestions?

Account Icon
    Make a blank transparent team.tga, this should remove the colors from the model.

I have made the team.tga all white, but it still shows the default skins team color on the model
    Also, I tried making it all black and had the same results.

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Leetkrew View Post
    I have made the team.tga all white, but it still shows the default skins team color on the model
    Also, I tried making it all black and had the same results.
    It should be transparent if you want the team color removed.
    If you want the white markings removed though you'll have to get busy and retexture those parts yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    It should be transparent if you want the team color removed.
    If you want the white markings removed though you'll have to get busy and retexture those parts yourself.
    What do you mean by making it transparent?

I pulled the Jereziah files from the textures zip in the game folder.
    Altered the Jereziah skin to my liking, and set the team.tga to a blank image but when it loads up in a practice game, it still shows the blue areas on his armor.

Account Icon
    Erh, fine try this, rename the team.tga to team2.tga and then open Jera's .material file, rename the team.tga lines to team2.tga. Put it back in. it should work.

Make a backup of the originals'

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    Erh, fine try this, rename the team.tga to team2.tga and then open Jera's .material file, rename the team.tga lines to team2.tga. Put it back in. it should work.

Make a backup of the originals'
    That worked! Thank you!!!!!!
    /hug Strider

Now it is coloring the entire skin the same color as the team color, help please!

The correct way of doing this is to make a white image with a black alpha. I typically do this as a 1 pixel image since it doesn't have anything other than those 2 flat colors.

Quote Originally Posted by XIII View Post
    The correct way of doing this is to make a white image with a black alpha. I typically do this as a 1 pixel image since it doesn't have anything other than those 2 flat colors.
    I've tried this (or so I think, I could be doing it wrong) but it still won't work.

I've been using this method (white on black alpha) for quite sometime now, I use it when I need shaders that require team color. You may have forgotten to rename team.tga to some other filename, you have to do that in order for HoN to read it, else it will read the original team.tga file.

Quote Originally Posted by XIII View Post
    I've been using this method (white on black alpha) for quite sometime now, I use it when I need shaders that require team color. You may have forgotten to rename team.tga to some other filename, you have to do that in order for HoN to read it, else it will read the original team.tga file.
    I've tried that but it still wont work. but when I try the black alpha, it makes the entire skin the color of the team that it is on. Any suggestions?

S2 Staff Member S2 Games Staff
    If the character you are modding isn't using the reflective shader (the one with the long name that ends with reflectmask4) then you could just remove the _team part from the pixelshader (ps) and it should remove the team colors completely (ie: change mesh_color_unit_team_lightmap to mesh_color_unit_lightmap). Otherwise, what has been suggested above should work, just use a transparent texture (black alpha map) and the team colors should be removed. If that isn't working then your game isn't reloading the texture correctly for some reason. Make sure you have the cvar Host_DynamicResReload set to true. If you change the name of the texture to something you haven't used yet then it will definitely reload it (otherwise it will just use a cached backup saved in memory).
    Last edited by BlacRyu; 09-27-2011 at 09:59 PM.

S2 Games: Dedicated employees serving dedicated gamers. Continuous development. Never-ending improvement.
    -----------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by BlacRyu View Post
    If the character you are modding isn't using the reflective shader (the one with the long name that ends with reflectmask4) then you could just remove the _team part from the pixelshader (ps) and it should remove the team colors completely (ie: change mesh_color_unit_team_lightmap to mesh_color_unit_lightmap). Otherwise, what has been suggested above should work, just use a transparent texture (black alpha map) and the team colors should be removed. If that isn't working then your game isn't reloading the texture correctly for some reason. Make sure you have the cvar Host_DynamicResReload set to true. If you change the name of the texture to something you haven't used yet then it will definitely reload it (otherwise it will just use a cached backup saved in memory).
    Thank you so much!
    Changing the mesh_color_unit_team to mesh_color_unit_lightmap worked!
    Again thank you, and thanks to everyone who tried to help me, sorry for being a noob :/