Thread: How do you lane like the people who have been playing 5 years?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Account Icon

How do you lane like the people who have been playing 5 years?

I need to know how to make it so my creeps always destroy towers. I need them to be dominant and not the other way around.

PROBLEM

1) I'm on the bottom lane. In the beginning I help my creeps move up to the enemy tower.
    2) Once at the enemy tower I back off assuming my creeps now have the advantage since they are further ahead.
    3) 10 minutes later i'm losing my bottom lane tower. I thought if you help kill enemy creeps in a lane in the start then they will get an advantage?

There is a concept in this game called "laning & pushing" but I have no clue how it's done. The only reason I'm losing to people 1500+ in score is because they know some "Trick" that everyone 1500+ is supposed to know with laning.

After 100 games I still don't know this "Trick" to laning.

Account Icon
    well your problem is you are going about it the wrong way. Creeps rarely destroy towers by themselves, heroes do, the creeps are just cannon fodder for the tower.

At the start of a game you are much to weak to destroy towers, so you dont try to. Instead you try to let the enemy push to your tower so they have to sit back out of range, letting you last hit and deny without them hassling you

There is a laning guide btw
    Its Hammertime

There is no "Trick" you have to help your creeps all the way along. If you leave the creeps alone at a tower, the tower will push them back.

If you want your creeps to push on their own, then kill the enemy wave's ranged creep and one melee creep, then just leave them alone. Eventually your creeps will build up until they push. This won't always kill the tower, but it helps.

If you push WITH your creeps, they actually won't push the tower unless you help them. This happens because when you're pushing with them, they clear waves faster and don't have time to wait for new spawns to come in and build up.

I hope this helps.

Forum Moderators are not S2 Games employees. My posts in no way represent the view of S2 Games or any of its staff.

Please use the report post function to have me review a post that you believe is breaking the Forum Rules.
    Check the Sticky Threads for additional information on this sub-forum and the Announcement Threads for more information about Heroes of Newerth as a whole!

-----------------------------

Having trouble getting started? The Training Grounds and Project Epoch can help!
    I am of the firm opinion that subtracting "raging stupidity" from anyone's voice can only cause them to sound more like myself.

Quote Originally Posted by luzarius View Post
    I need to know how to make it so my creeps always destroy towers. I need them to be dominant and not the other way around.

PROBLEM

1) I'm on the bottom lane. In the beginning I help my creeps move up to the enemy tower.
    2) Once at the enemy tower I back off assuming my creeps now have the advantage since they are further ahead.
    3) 10 minutes later i'm losing my bottom lane tower. I thought if you help kill enemy creeps in a lane in the start then they will get an advantage?

There is a concept in this game called "laning & pushing" but I have no clue how it's done. The only reason I'm losing to people 1500+ in score is because they know some "Trick" that everyone 1500+ is supposed to know with laning.

After 100 games I still don't know this "Trick" to laning.

Play mid initially since it's the shortest lane. Especially on 1v1's as every other thread you've posted indicates that's what you like to play. Read the guide also.

Account Icon
    You DON'T want to auto attack creeps.

During early game laning phase, you don't want to push their tower. You want to be near your tower, so you can get maximum exp via your tower blasting away creeps.

How to do this? Don't autoattack. Only lasthit creeps, and deny. Also, to pull the creeps toward you, click on the enemy hero. The creeps will be aggroed towards you, and then you can run back to your tower.

Don't try to help your creeps push the enemy tower. You want to be denying your own creeps, and hitting only the last hit on the enemy creeps. The goal of early game laning is to have creeps fighting within range of your tower. With your tower close, the enemy heroes will be less likely, or unable to attempt a kill, and they will have a harder time getting close enough to last hit and deny.

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    You DON'T want to auto attack creeps.

During early game laning phase, you don't want to push their tower. You want to be near your tower, so you can get maximum exp via your tower blasting away creeps.

How to do this? Don't autoattack. Only lasthit creeps, and deny. Also, to pull the creeps toward you, click on the enemy hero. The creeps will be aggroed towards you, and then you can run back to your tower.
    I've asked people how to disable auto attack but they say it's not possible. I KNEW it was possible but no one would tell me.

How do I disable the auto attack?

I've asked people how to disable auto attack but they say it's not possible. I KNEW it was possible but no one would tell me.

You can't disable it, its not possible.

You can only

a. Repeatedly click and move around to not attack creeps
    b. Click hold position.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol

This is something that has been discussed and will probably BE discussed forever, how to stop auto-attacking, its very simple.
    the default key is [H] its meant for 'hold' which will put ur char to a hold all together, now he wont move/attack anything unless u give the command for it (and by command i mean clicking somewhere whatever, also, a lot of players dont even use hold, they just walk around and stuff, but taking the HOLD key for an example in this explanation)
    Now what u want to do is, getting the Killing blow (wow referrence) on any creep u see, the creeps that are on your team as well as from the opposing. Why u ask? Simple.. damaging creeps doesn't do ****, the the killing blow gives u max EXP and money, and we all love money, now.. why should u denie, enemy creeps. very simple.. To lower their income, since u lasthitted the mob they will miss out on the cash, not to mention 'some' experience, and i highlighted 'some' cause some people think if u denie a creep they dont get any exp at all, but that's ignorant. so too sum up.

" Last hit any creep in ur lane. "

now about the lane pushing, its different every game, now there aren't any basic tactics for this, just pure and simple common sense and logic.
    play the game for as long as some have (+dota experience) and you will get it down eventually.

Account Icon
    I appreciate the responses guys. Good info.

press H. its the command for hold.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Press 'H'. You character won't do anything until you give it another command. Wait until a creep (enemy or yours) is almost dead then press 'A' and click on it. $_$

EDIT: I need to refresh more often >_>

having the creep wave push in your direction means that the battle is fought closer to your tower, which means safer positioning. The tower may take some damage, but there are a few tricks to keep creeps from attack it. Cant really explain well, but just dont attack creeps unless you can get the killing blow.

Account Icon
    THe point in early game is to get gold and xp when denying your enemies's, by obviously Deny your own creeps. To do this your creeps must clash closer to your tower for it gives you an exelent protection early game. When in mid game, when all the ganking starts it is a good idea to start killing towers, I mean, kill the enemy tower can mean that the offensive part of the game has started. So, gank.

To be closer to your tower you can Creep pull. Search for CREEP PULLING SPOTS AND TIMES guide.

Right click your own creep. Then you stop all attack/movement until that creep dies or you give your hero another command. Last hit another creep when their health is low.

SCUMBAG SCOUT 4 LIFE

Just a note with the hold position action, it makes you stop leaving you vunerable to alot of spells such as valk's arrow, pudges hook, aoe stuns, etc.

I prefer repeated clickingg

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by pnik_4lyf View Post
    Just a note with the hold position action, it makes you stop leaving you vunerable to alot of spells such as valk's arrow, pudges hook, aoe stuns, etc.

I prefer repeated clickingg

Your only vulnerable if you have a slow reaction time

Moving around is worst for people with higher pings as well as it takes time to change direction
    Its Hammertime

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    There honostly is a way to make the creeps go to your tower but you have to hope they dont do it back to you,
    1.) Run up to enemy hero and right click
    2.) Pull away the second creeps turn to attack you (they always attack you when you right click the enemy hero in range)
    3.) Run back like crap and make them chase you
    I've laned against someone top who used this to pull the lane all the way back to his tower (legion).

There are multiple other methods besides this, dont auto attack just deny and last hit creeps. Block creeps and slow them as they run down the lane, pull creeps from neutral camps and kill them while their wave runs straight to your tower, etc..

As everyone has stated and I will repeat again AUTO ATTACKING IS BAD (at least in the beggining DO NOT AUTO ATTACK CREEPS). If your ranged your duty is to deny, and last hit creeps + attack any enemy hero who comes in range for harassment. if your melee try to deny as much as possible and if you can go for last hits.

Final Tip: DO NOT WASTE SPELLS ON CREEPS (when it comes time for a group fight you'll find yourself out of mana which can and will get you and possibly your partner killed.) This also pushes creeps extremely fast if your opponent is smart and plays passive. Only do this if your pushing and you have the mana to waste.

Thanks to AvunaOs for the awesome signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrate View Post
    Your only vulnerable if you have a slow reaction time

Moving around is worst for people with higher pings as well as it takes time to change direction

Try reacting to a pyro stun from invis

Pick Night Hound or Scout.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast