Thread: I've never been a "USA! USA! AMERICA **** YEAHR!" guy, BUT...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Account Icon

I've never been a "USA! USA! AMERICA **** YEAHR!" guy, BUT...

I was recently speaking to a guy from Sweden on voice chat and he was telling me about how America's such crap and we have no culture and have never done anything good etc. The conversation came out of the blue - we were talking about something else and because I was American he felt the need to air his grievances.

I thought about it, really thought about it...and said, "You're speaking English, aren't you? I don't think you were forced to learn it because of England. The game we're playing was created and is hosted in America, isn't it (as was almost every single video game ever worth playing)? And the program we're using, Skype, and the computer you're typing on, and the jeans you're wearing, they all were invented in America, yes?" I went on for a few minutes naming everything I could from America that he was sure to know of, and of which the rest of the world had never seen from Sweden - i.e. books, movies, songs, celebrities, television shows - all the truly world famous ones in all of these categories are American, as far as I (as an American) could tell.

I don't want to be a stereotypical "patriotic-to-the-point-of-idiocy" American, but...after thinking about it honestly, it seems to me that America is #1. No cliche intended.

Is that **** necessary?

Skype was made by a Swede though...

I've lived in NYC all my life and born here, America is a great place but we all know it has it's problems...many of them. Even with those problems it's still one of the greatest countries in the world.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    America, **** yeah

Most of the biggest and influential inventions of modern times were made by germans (sometimes forced into exile by the nazi party)

Just to let you know.

Hahha! you show him.

However, Skype was made in Sweden. As was hamburgers, cowboys and the Grand State of Texas.

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by SockCucker View Post
    I've lived in NYC all my life and born here, America is a great place but we all know it has it's problems...many of them. Even with those problems it's still one of the greatest countries in the world.
    Why would you stop at "one of"? Name the best movie ever. American. Name the best book ever. American. Name the best X ever. American.

Obviously we're horribly in debt and have a negative budget, have a ton of minorities on welfare and a terrible crime rate, etc, all sorts of problems, but on the macro scale, we've done everything in the world. Not to even mention that we are, for all intents and purposes, the world police. I don't see any other nations stepping up with an army when we believe a dictator has WMDs he's prepared to use.

You're saying the country with the largest first world population creates most of the useless junk we concern ourselves with? Holy **** who would have ever known.

America is worst shlt ever...there is no fking culture and all of them r rassist!
    Im sad black ppl need to hold this rasism!!!

Skype is a Scandinavian program. A danish and a Swedish guy programmed it.
    The jeans he had probably from China or India. Some Celebrities are from different countries that moved to USA cause of Hollywood.

Bioware is from Canada not USA and they make great video games. Dice From Sweden, Nintendo from Japan and so on.

Not an American, but in terms of hatred towards the USA, from what I've seen mostly Europeans have the most extremist hatred. More so than countries from the middle east, I find.

Whatever though, there are problems and good things with every country but for someone (In this case the Swede) to go out of their way to insult someone's country is pretty ****ing classless.

Edit: Biggest myth about USA is that they have no culture. It's influence is spread worldwide, and because USA culture (Many tv programs, hollywood movies, technologies, companies, even housing style etc) is in your life in Brazil, Turkey, wherever, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. You look at USA and you don't see culture, well it's probably because it's so common everywhere worldwide that it doesn't seem truly unique to you.
    Last edited by Narshe; 08-29-2011 at 10:36 AM.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
    Why would you stop at "one of"? Name the best movie ever. American. Name the best book ever. American. Name the best X ever. American.

Obviously we're horribly in debt and have a negative budget, have a ton of minorities on welfare and a terrible crime rate, etc, all sorts of problems, but on the macro scale, we've done everything in the world. Not to even mention that we are, for all intents and purposes, the world police. I don't see any other nations stepping up with an army when we believe a dictator has WMDs he's prepared to use.
    Trollololol

I don't see any other nation stepping up with an army when we want to prove our dominance as well as secure our oil wells.

Fixed that for you
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.
    ~Steven Wright

I am a mentor at Epoch.
    Want to learn in a environment which does not troll you for your questions?
    Want to be able to ask 1900+ players their insight on your situations? www.projectepoch.com/forums/
    Join us and learn!

I went on for a few minutes naming everything I could from America that he was sure to know of, and of which the rest of the world had never seen from Sweden - i.e. books, movies, songs, celebrities, television shows - all the truly world famous ones in all of these categories are American, as far as I (as an American) could tell.
    all the truly world famous ones in all of these categories are American, as far as I (as an American) could tell.
    as far as I (as an American) could tell.
    Edit to avoid offense, I just lol'd.
    Last edited by Continuo; 08-29-2011 at 10:35 AM.

This thread is a testimony to the lack of perspective that drives the entire "America #1" attitude and why the rest of the world is making fun of it.
    And the best part? You won't even get it and think I'm trolling you or something.
    Last edited by LIKE_A_BOSS; 08-29-2011 at 10:41 AM.

Start wars because they are communists. **** yeah.

Hamburgers were not made in Sweden but Hamburg, Germany.

Remember, the in thing right now is to hate America. One day when China takes over the world then it will be the in thing to hate them - especially when they want to turn you into a slave worker.

Personally, I'd be more proud of a country that can take care of it's own citizens than be the creativity capital of the world. Many Europeans make a lot more money than we do, work less hours, have very good health insurance. They pay more taxes, but their quality of life is higher thanks to it.

Like I said, America is not a bad place to live, but it's not the best either.

The worst thinks came from america to the rest of the world.. and we speak english
    due to the voting of the world to have it as the formal language for country negotiations and conversation on worldwide matters so that we can communicate. This doesn't make you special. Don't forget you were an english colony from the start.